Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 185/190/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:21%
Progress: -33%
Talking Weight Lifting

Hey all,

One nice thing about Body for Life is the weight lifting. His plan is good for building muscle mass. Since 75% of calories are burned by resting muscle mass and not by activity, building up that muscle mass is a great way to break out of a stall. If you just kept eating like you've been eating (maintenance calories), but added 5 pounds of muscle, you would gradually lose weight just from the extra calories burned every day.

Other good plans for building muscle come from "Power to the People" and Bill Pearl's web site. The book "Beyond Brawn" is also good.

Other reasons for stalls can be loosing weight and needed to cut those calories a bit more because you weigh less. Also, if you are not getting enough calories or enough protein, it is hard to keep your muscle mass and metabolizm up. That's why I like the science behind PP or the Zone, they make sure you get enough protein. For me, that's at least 90 grams. When you start looking at eating 5-6 onces of meat, that's a lot of chicken!!! More than most people usually eat in one sitting.

I'm in a stall right now, but it's on purpose. I'm taking the Christmas Holiday week off and just eating without worrying or counting. I'll go back to dieting in the new year. My weight is up a pound, but my waist is down 1/4 inch so I'll take that as a good sign.

Happy holidays.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 23:26
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Great tips.....but I'm not ready to give up cheese and eggs yet...I'm only on day 4 so far....I don't think I should do it all at once...but maybe when I reach a stall. As long as I lose at least one pound a week I will keep on as I'm doing...but I will keep this in the back of my mind...and refer back to it...when I stall...and I know I will stall.....hopefully not soon.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 08:55

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 176/175/135
BF:
Progress:
Wink Fantastic!

Congratulations!

You wrote: I stumbled on Doreens wonderful compilation of web links in the Candida/IBS section of this site.

Where do you find these links? You sound similar to me about the skin and lactose intolerance. I'd like to check out your info.

#19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 17:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/146/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Thumbs up

Hi Angela

Congrat's on breaking your stall!

You've inspired me to make a few changes and cheese will be off the list for starters.
I was really down and frustrated today so I came to this forum for guidance and higher spirits. You just restored my faith , thank you
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 22:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/225/140 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs up way to go

good for you...that is what got me is that i went 6 weeks without losing a pound...all the while in ketosis. Someone told me that if i would get off a couple of days it would jumpstart my system....so i did......i started back yesterday dont know if it will make a difference but I am feel so much better physically just being back on that i dont think i will go off again
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 23:58
Registered Member

Stats: 204/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Great going All!
Being a stalled newbie, I can appreciate the difficulty in getting through it all.
I really liked Angela's way of looking at it:

that you're thinking of this as a journey now, rather than a 'destination',

It makes the "hangin' in there" seem more like the way it should be, rather than what you "havta do".

Thank you all for the great advice!

ENJOY!
Murp
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 12:18
Registered Member

Stats: 161/151/130
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default How I broke my 6 wk stall

Ange, I read your post last week, and we are so much alike. I took your advice and cut out eggs and cheese, took the advice of another post, and upped my carb intake for a day-Reversal dieting(beef stew for dinner and chex for breakfast), and finally my first weight loss 2 days later-5 lbs. I was so discouraged until I got to your post. Sometimes we need to have someone understand. I just wanted you to know that your post helped me over a hurdle. sometimes we don't realize how we are helping someone else by our own words. Just wanted you to know that YOURS helped someone. thanks!

Jonee
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 13:47

Stats: 173/165/140
BF:
Progress: 24%
Angry Candida stall

I too found that I maybe have a Candida problem. There are some things about the way I feel and physical problems that point to that. I have been induction almost totally this whole time and not moving in weight. I finally lost 2lbs. more after I cut out all cheese except mozzarella. Didn't think cheese was a problem. I knew about sugar being a problem.
Cutting out cheese really hurts. My Father used to call me a mouse growing up, could eat a whole pound of American without missing a beat. When I was a kid though it wasn't a big deal.
I'll have to look up more about the CAndida issue.

Thanks for this post. I feel more positive.

This diet/wol works for me for the most part though I'm going to be patient with the slow progress. As long as the scale doesn't start going in the wrong direction again.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 00:53
Registered Member

Stats: 204/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Hang in there folks

It takes a bit of tinkering to find what works best for you. All of us have our differences. Take the basics, and tinker till it works, making sure that you are getting all the vitamins, minerals, etc that you need. It's a lifestyle, so it's worth tinkering a little to get it right.
Keep up the good work, I'm sure the Whoosh Fairy is on the way!
Keep drinking the Water!
Murp
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 20:47
Registered Member

Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

WAY TO GO!! It's great feeling when that stuck point finally comes to an end isn't it - I know, been there a LOT of times! Lol..seriously, give yourself a bit pat on the back for me, okay?
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 07:30

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 162/147/140
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thank you Angela for giving me even more incentive and encouragement! I, too, have been in a stall for many weeks but because of people like you I realize that if I just keep tweaking and hanging in there I too will be successful. Wait, I AM successful! I just love how I feel right now, that is what keeps me going. I have no cravings for sweets at all. I even made it through Easter without a thought to it!! Years ago I gave up sugar, meat and dairy for one year and lost lots of weight, but it was too restrictive to be on for life. I think my stall may be due to the cheese and may try to give it up this week too. I will also make it to the gym more, it is key!

I would love if someone would share their daily menu, I get into a rut sometimes. I also find that the more I eat then the scale starts to move down. Problem is I'm not hungrey!!! What to do?

Thanks all for the support! Happy losing.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 12:15

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Doingwell,
Just a nudge for you to check out the journal section of the forum. There are plenty of folks that list their daily menus in their journals. It helps to read other journals to get menu ideas and also just to see how they do low carbing. Everybody is different in their journey, but we all can learn from each other.

Angela,
I appreciate the way you continued on even when there was no movement with the scales. And you kept looking for answers to tweak you eating, and finally found what works. Good for you! Thanks for sharing your struggle and solution. It helps us all. Victoria
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 21:19

Stats: 145/139/125
BF:32
Progress: 30%

So what is this everyone about cutting out cheese??? I don't think i am cand...can.. whatever you all called it. I don't know the symptoms, but I do know I eat a lot of cheese and am not losing. What the heck else can I snack on? Reading other journals is a good idea. I went off LC for 2 days and restarted yesterday trying to break my stall. Maybe I should cut out cheese. I fell like all that is left to me is chewing on a side of beef! also, I can NOT figure out why my keto strips keep turning white when I feel like i have NOT cheated. I cut out caffeine, alcohol, sugar, (boy what fun I am at a party) all in an effort to lose these damn lbs.!!! I exercise like ademon taekwondo 4 days a week and weight lifting. And my clothes feel the same, tight!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 04:44

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 162/147/140
BF:
Progress: 68%
Talking Journals

Victoria, thank you for the nudge regarding journals. I will check them out and get back to you. I haven't done one of my own and think I will have to try it. I don't snack so I do know exactly what I am eating, but whatever helps.