Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 04:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Porkrinds: The fact is that porkrinds in Europe is obviously a different thing than in US/Australia. In most countries in Europe we cannot use pork rinds in the induction phase recipes, - due to the extremely high sodium content.

Hi Nille!

I don't recall reading where sodium is restricted during induction and they're salted here in the US as well. Just to give a comparison, though, 3 slices of bacon (US style) have 480 mg. sodium. 1 oz. of pork rinds (US style) have 520 mg. sodium. Most people wouldn't think twice about eating 3 slices of bacon even during induction, so I don't understand what all the fuss over the pork rinds is about unless we're talking about eating an entire large bag (which I honestly wouldn't recommend!). One serving on my bag is listed as 1/2 oz.

Also regarding the protein comments from doctors. Doctors have been saying for quite a while the too much protein stresses your kidneys, but there are NO studies that have proven that to be true for people with healthy kidneys to begin with. What they often refer to as "stress" in the kidneys is that the glomular filtration rate (GFR) goes up when a large protein meal is consumed. This is exactly what the kidneys were designed to do...filter. It's equivalent to saying that too much excercise stresses the heart because it makes your heart rate go up. This (protein stresses the kidneys or causes kidney disease) is one of those things that has been repeated so many times that everyone simply assumes that it must be true and documented somewhere. Do a search of the web...you won't find any published studies that show it to be true. The next time your doctor tells you that, consider asking him or her where that information is found and if you can possibly have a copy of the study.
I realize that people are not always comfortable questioning their doctors, but keep in mind that while doctors do have a lot of education and knowledge, they are not infallible or above giving incorrect information.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 04:55
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I think Nille covered this issue quite brilliant with her balanced posting and I am in no way interested in joining any "war zone" since I'm just a curiosity-driven learner... Just a few words on Lisas post about protein and doctors attitudes...

My doc, who also happens to be a very good friend of mine, is very interested in my Atkins progress (we surfed the atkins site together yesterday). He is a GP and the head of the local council dr's office. Being a GP, and of humble attitude, he's not the type to judge things beforehand and he goes to great lengths to find answers to my - sometimes intriguing and challenging - questions. About this whole protein issue, we sat together and read through his medicine library to find some good answers.

He did not stress any warnings about "too much or too little protein" etc, he just quoted what the books said (that both ODing and insufficient intake of protein can cause oedema in different contexts.)

There were many terms used that I can not give a good presentation of at this moment - since I don't quite remember, but words like "albumine" (large protein that binds water in blood) and "creatinine level blood test" flew around in the doctors office.

I'd be happy to get back with source/research info when I find out from him next time we meet. (Meanwhile, as for Nilles source of protein/oedema info, I believe her doctor's/professor's highly impressive qualifications can be found somewhere in her journal...*wink-wink nudge*)

As for the pork rind debate.
Nothing to do with "Induction", just a general reflection: Pork rinds & almonds made me stall and the former probably had lots to do with my oedema forming, together with bacon, polyol salty liqourice and similar heavy sources of sodium. I try to avoid pork rinds for their sodium content, since it IS easy to "OD" them, after all - they are so crunchy and nice.

Have a great LC day everyone!

/gil

Ps. May I also draw attention to the first paragraph of this excellent board: "Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet discussion provided free for information purposes, NOT as medical advice." I take it that means we are free to discuss personal opinions, experiences and so forth, as long as we don't promote anything obviously unhealthy.

Last edited by gilibel : Tue, Oct-21-03 at 05:23.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...=Kidney+Disease

Please note the comment from one of the researchers who said, "If you have healthy kidneys, you can't eat enough protein to damage your kidneys." Which further reinforces what Rosebud said earlier that if you have healthy kidneys, eating even a very high protein intake cannot damage them. The study shows this to be true.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/196/140 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

My own experience with protein is I lose better if I stay under 100 grams per day. I try to stay at 25% protein, 70% fat and 5% carbs because I seem to lose better at these percentages. This may not be the case for everyone. Some may be able to eat a lot of protein and still lose. High protein may or may not be bad for your health. All I know is I don't lose on high protein.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 16:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%

Hi Loonie!

I hope you are having a Great day and that you are READY TO ROCK!

Ps: We can eat PORK RINDS!!! - natural, no preservatives and no flavours added of couse!

Last edited by becky160 : Tue, Oct-21-03 at 16:34.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 18:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lonnie, have you ever wondered why you need 25 posts to send a private message? It's because this is a forum where topics are discussed amongst everyone, and we're trying to avoid new folks singling out one person to PM for help. That used to happen a lot.

If you'd like help, ask for it. We'll all help you out. You'll see different points of view and make an informed choice. If you end up ignoring everyone but one person, fine. But if you insist on only hearing from one person, you're going to have to wait until you can PM and get that person's email address or ICQ#.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Oct-22-03 at 18:42.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 19:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%
Unhappy

Lonnie, I completely agree with Kristine. We haven't heard from you at all.
Is good to have different points of view, and also is good to compare information. That is the way we all learn and get to be more informed. I have learned a lot in this thread and in this forum. Please, let us help you out.
I know that you posted a thread asking me for help. But this is a Forum, and everyone has the right to express themselves and give their point of views, recommendations, experiences, and sources of information, without offending anyone, or being disrespectful.

I'm not a "not it all" person like others think. I am learning, and to tell you the thruth, we never stop learning until we are death.

The fact that I'm new to this Forum, does not mean that I am new to the ATKINS WOE and WOL.B

By the way, here is the next post:

Quote:
Lisa, thank you so much for your great information.
Please, Please be so kind to come back, and give us your suggestions or comments on the information given or exposed. You have been of great help, and very very kind.

Please come back! and let us help you out. If not in this thread, in any sub forum of this forum.

Hope to see you around.

Last edited by becky160 : Wed, Oct-22-03 at 22:29.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 18:07
Registered Member

Stats: 156/140/110 Female 5.6 inches
BF:
Progress:

HOLA Becky160...I read the whole thread and let me tell you that I paid for a year on a low carb site and NEVER got the kind of service and advise you posted her.

After giving birth to my child, (before I got pregnant my weight was 125#) anyway, after delivery my weight was 160#...food really tasted good then!!!.

The day my baby was born I took my jeans to the hospital and two days later, went back home wearing my maternity dress. I looked as if I hadn't had the baby. The look at my friends, when they came to meet Franz...That's when I started doing the Atkins Diet and went all the way down to 110#. Looking and feeling better than ever.

That was back in 1995...I kept eating the Atkin's way...and had no problem with my weight for years, until about 18 months ago I quitted smoking and started gaining wait ( I thought it was the hand to mouth habit).

I gained and gained till I reach 140#. Every friend and family member told me that Atkins Diet had messed up my metabolism and that was the reason why I could not loose weight on ANY diet...not even the FAT FAST.

On may, 2003 I went to my OB-GYN and he couldn't believe his eyes. After I told him everything he needed to know, he smiled and told me not to worry, that he was almost sure it was not the diet, it was something else.

My ultrasound showed many cysts on my ovaries and after blood tests I was oficially diagnosed with PCOS.

I came back home..feeling better...at least my problem had a name.

Anyway, my doctor advised me to stay on the low-carb program since I was insulin resistant.

I haven't been able to loose weight...checking the stall info and I find you here. Well my amiga...I went to fit day and wrote what I used to eat back then, when i lost my pregnancy weight and it turns out that the percentages match yours to the T.

I'll try to follow your advice, and I'll post here if I get any progress.

Muchas Gracias Tía!
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 21:42
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%
Smile

Dear Eveee!

Just a quick note to tell you that Becky is no longer on this forum. You can find her here under the nick "SpanishEyes".

Best of luck with your new WOL!

/gil

Ps. I tried to PM you, but noticed you don't have PM privileges, as you haven't posted enough on this board yet.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 00:24

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

She's gone? Gee, that is really to bad. Our loss!!!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:11
Registered Member

Stats: 156/140/110 Female 5.6 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank You for that information Gilibel!