Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 00:12
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Quest,
Big difference between Weight Watchers and Atkins is that you wouldn't be hungry all the time-even if eating the same number of calories.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 07:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_Neener
Quest,
Big difference between Weight Watchers and Atkins is that you wouldn't be hungry all the time-even if eating the same number of calories.

WW in its current form doesn't dictate what food you eat, just the overall "points" (i.e. calories, basically 60-70 calories per point). So you could eat LC foods and still be on WW. Even in earlier forms (when they had exchanges) the carbs allowed on WW were very low. I remember being told not to have a banana or a pear more than once a week for my fruit exchange.

Mind you, I'm not disagreeing with the point of this thread. I guess I'm saying that after the initial loss Atkins isn't easier to lose on than other diet plans, though it may be better for overall health.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 04:50
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Just wanted to agree with the initial point that this thread makes. If you're truly stalled, and not stalled because you're just maintaining your weight with low carb chocolate and snacks and this and that then calories are probably the culprit. Too many people (including me for a long time) have the "all you can eat and still lose weight" concept in their heads. What is healthy about stuffing yourself with massive meals? Seriously, it may be emotionally gratifying in some way to eat large delicious meals all the time but it won't help you get a trim figure.

As for being hungry on low calories (I'm 5 10" and weight train+cardio regularly) and the question what's the point of low carb if you have to keep your calories low......
1) low carb high fat diets are the most muscle sparing which is important because you want to burn FAT, not muscle when you diet otherwise your shape won't change.
2) on 1200 calories a day of mostly fat I am not hungry. I may want to EAT, if I have come off a period (vacation or so) where I have been eating large meals my stomach may want the FULL feeling that it is used to, but I am not hungry. Eating 2000+ calories of low fat, higher protein leaves me hungry and wanting food all the time. I'll take less food thanks for the more comfortable feeling.

Thanks for starting this thread, calories seem to be the forgotten key to continuing fat loss in low carbers.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 22:33
Registered Member

Stats: 150/139/120 Female 65.5
BF:
Progress: 37%

So are you all saying that the 10-12x your body weight doesn't really apply when your close to goal?? My BMR is 1438 cals per day and to loose I have to eat no less than 1200 cals/day according to the calculator. When you go by the 10-12 rule, I have been eating 1450-1700 cals a day. If the BMR calc. is correct, then it's no wonder why I can't seem to loose weight on this WOE.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 00:06

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Surely the BMR is how much our bodies need just to keep going, sitting in a chair - taking no account of exercise etc. I used a site recently that gave my BMR at 1500 but my actual MR at 2100, for a moderately active person (exercise at least x3 a week). At 133 pounds, 12x would be 1596, which I reckon I lose at.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 08:13
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

jaykay-- you're right, I believe.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 09:34

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

We should also remember that as we LOSE weight and get smaller we will need LESS calories and not more.

I think we at first get very excited on Atkins and start eating all those formerly forbidden foods. Once ketosis kicks in we usually notice some natural appetite suppressing going on. Hopefully at this points calories will decrease and you will find you are not as hungry and more satisfied on the Atkins plan.

However, as you lose weight, your body will need less calories (unless of course you are a very active athlete). I think we keep on eating the way we did even though our body needs have changed. Something we need to definitely pay more attention to!

Froufie
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 23:20

Plan: LC
Stats: 266/224/185 Male 72 in
BF:?%/30%/15%
Progress: 52%

OK, I've got a couple of questions here.
1) I haven't been watching my calories, but I've been in pretty strict induction for just over a month now. I've only lost 3 or 4 pounds, but I've lost about 1 1/2 pants sizes. If I drop my caloric intake, should I begin to see more of a weight loss, as well as a waist loss (theoretically speaking, of course)?
2) If I do lower my total caloric intake, will exercise avert the possibility of going into starvation mode or at least lower the odds?
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 05:15
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Check and see what they are first. If you start monitoring your calories and notice that they are very low already, I wouldn't reccomend lowering them more.
I don't know if exercise has anything with "going into starvation mode." I think starvation mode is just the term that people use for the process of your body adapting and learning how to expend less energy for the same things that previously required more. Maybe someone has some science facts.

When you lower your caloric intake, probably the best thing to lower the odds of slowing your matabolism is to schedule variations. I read an article on Trianer Dan's www.quadrafit.com website which went into this. I'll try to find it - of course this only works on a strics diet and not on something more liberal.

Ah, ok found the link.. which is to another site.
http://www.allyourstrength.com/nutrition_1102_pv.html
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 06:43

Thanks Meg! That makes sense. I'm going to keep track of how many calories I'm eating for a couple of days and see if I'm actually eating too much. If not, then I'm really going to be frustrated bc I really want to see some poundage comin' off!!!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 08:32
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Someone once asked me if I wanted to be smaller, or just see a lower number on the scale... If you're losing inches, chances are you're toning up and building lean mass, which is heavier but more compact than fat. Personally, I'd give it a bit longer, and you'll likely be treated to a "whoosh" (board lingo for a sudden start of weight loss)
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 09:43

Oh, how I would love a whoosh right about now. I'm just getting so disgusted. I go back to the Dr. this Wednesday and would really like for him to see some downward movement on the scale....
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 10:26

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Measure, measure, measure. Did you take your measurements when you started? If not, do it, and not just your BWH. Measure your upper arms, neck, thighs and lower stomach and try to do it only once a week at most. Women lose inches at a faster rate than pounds. When you don't see pounds gone on the scale, you will very probably see them gone on that tape. And watch the salt...it can keep you bloated. And drink lots and lots of water.