Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 12:43

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Wow, I think I only saw a shorter version of this commercial the first time. Yesterday I heard her repeat "I eat bread every day" three times. Her obsession definitely points to a gluten/gliadin intolerance. I expect we'll see her on the cover of National Enquirer 50 lbs heavier in a few months.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 15:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I learned alot from ww. I did it 15 years ago and they were pushing the food journal. Picking up that habit alone was worth the four months I spent starving. From journaling I learned I had some bad food habits I would have swore I didn,t have. At that time I don,t believe anyone else was pushing the food journal. I learned every bight counts and food is about choices. A year later my husband did Atkins which had never worked for me and this time I joined him in it because even though I was withen 5 pound of goal weight I though he needed the company to be successful since doing ww with friends was key to me on that program. Thanks to the ww journaling I learned to make low carb. work for us both. I tend to lean towards eating lean everything because I grew up that way. With journaling I learned low carb never worked for me because I always tried it almost fat free. If they would just make the switch to lowcarb it would be a very good program.
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 05:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Weight Watchers has a YouTube channel where you can watch all the versions of their latest commercials. Some of the comments it has garnered are funny (and crude) . Her "favorite breakfast meal" ad is another ode to bread.
http://youtu.be/eSOtcyK3hF8

Journaling is an excellent habit change technique...Monitoring.
You can't Manage what you don't Monitor is the saying in business.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Feb-06-16 at 05:59.
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 07:11

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

I eat bread everyday!

THAT IS what is exactly needed to be said to 'make' people want to choose 'this diet'.

A commercial with 'I eat baked chicken and green beans' everyday don't cut it and has no attraction!

Being Zero Carb eater my commercial would be great: 'I eat a big ribeye steak everyday and have crab legs dripping in butter for dessert!' hmmm......that sold me
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-16, 20:11

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
^^^This is exactly why WW is doomed to fail us over and over again and Oprah will fail too. Their entire point system is based on a food's fat content. If its low fat or fat free, it gets unlimited points. That alone is a recipe for disaster, as we know here.
That makes me think of a story I heard once from a WW instructor or leader or whatever they call themselves. She had one client one time who did not lose any weight and in fact GAINED weight - but she swore up and down she was following the diet to the absolute very letter. So finally the instructor asked her to keep a food diary for a week, until the next meeting, of everything she ate.

Well has anyone seen those cans of green beans - not the small cans, but really GIANT cans of them? It turns out this woman was eating 10-12 GIANT cans of green beans every day - but they were a "free" food and had zero points, so she could not believe they were inhibiting her weight loss.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-16, 20:19

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I've read that fruit is zero points. Does that mean you can eat bananas and grapes all day and they don't "count" in your daily total?

I suppose you have to eat a certain number of points each day, which means you can't get by with zero, whether it's fruit or green beans. But still.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-16, 23:05

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'll bet that you still have to eat a daily yoghurt with the required aspartame.
  #128   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-16, 08:45

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I looked up some point charts and food lists, just out of curiosity. Seems like my allowed points would be something like 24-25, with an extra 35 points per week for "bonus" eating. I thought about trying to add up the points for what I eat already, but that looked like a tedious research chore--especially considering that I don't really give a rat's a$$ what WW recommends. But as a "lifetime" WW member--from the 70s--I feel a kind of horrified sentimental attachment.
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-16, 10:56

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

WW is a scam. There's no way overweight people should be eating unlimited fruit. Fruit is really not a healthy option for obese people. There should at least be a limit. I guess that's one reason WW didn't work for me. It's a money maker for them preying on obese people. This is just my opinion, I know there are some people who feel it was successful for them. The 2 times I tried it I was very unsuccessful and I was much younger then. I may be more carb sensitive than most people, but promoting fruit as super heathy and good for you is a crock. Lol, okay I got that out. Not a fan of WW.
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Feb-10-16, 11:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
That makes me think of a story I heard once from a WW instructor or leader or whatever they call themselves. She had one client one time who did not lose any weight and in fact GAINED weight - but she swore up and down she was following the diet to the absolute very letter. So finally the instructor asked her to keep a food diary for a week, until the next meeting, of everything she ate.

Well has anyone seen those cans of green beans - not the small cans, but really GIANT cans of them? It turns out this woman was eating 10-12 GIANT cans of green beans every day - but they were a "free" food and had zero points, so she could not believe they were inhibiting her weight loss.

Thanks for proving my point, Debbie!

I hate to admit this but I am a 5 time WW failure. At least over the years, I kept trying. I always hated counting their points as it always seemed so fruitless for me, no pun intended. Not to mention that I was always hungry which would account for that women eating all those cans of green beans daily....binge anyone?

Being hungry on low fat diets is not the way to learn to eat a new way. Hunger drives us to eat, it's a survival instinct. Dampen the hunger( with protein and fat) and portion control becomes much easier to accomplish.

I finally realized that I needed to learn about food in general for their own values, not WW's interpretation of them. That led me to learn about low carb eating and I did start out with South Beach. That was 12 years ago. I've learned a whole lot in these years and realize that WW is not doing it's clients any favors with their point system.
  #131   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 07:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

And #1 reason to Pay for a Subscription to this forum:

You do not have to see Oprah waving or writing ridiculous things about weight loss in the ad space
Forgot to renew my subscription and this morning all the ads returned...oh my! Oprah, really?

A Nutritional Therapist writes about Oprah and Weight Watchers, expanding on the Dr Davis letter, why her promotion of CICO damaging, etc.

http://primalblissnutrition.com/201...ng-with-it-all/

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Feb-15-16 at 06:27.
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 08:40

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to the link on that site, very good post. And recipes on the Primal Bliss site look great!
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 09:33

BF:

I liked that site but she does eat sugar.
Her Chinese Orange chicken has 1/4th of a cup of honey in it
  #134   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 11:20

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

That is a lot of honey, I see she uses some fruit also. But this one seems promising, I haven't worked with tapioca flour before (need to look up the carb count):

http://primalblissnutrition.com/201...flower-poppers/
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 11:26

BF:

That looks good but what is tapioca flour? Does it have carbs like corn starch?