Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 14:05

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I recall in Rethinking Thin by NYT reporter, Gina Kolata, her saying one group of people who kept weight off were those who were "professionals" of a sort, leading WW groups, Herbalife groups, being spokespersons, etc.

I think that is really true. When it's not your job to do it, it's really hard to maintain the number on the scale as a top priority. I mean, we all have lives to lead. Even people whose job it is fail at it. At my Y, every single instructor is fairly overweight or significantly large. I don't really care about how large my fitness instructor or trainer is as long as they know what they are doing, but a lot of people would consider trimness essential to that role. But they are almost all obese, not just a little pudgy. Fundamentally, it doesn't affect their ability to do pushups or hold that yoga pose, so it becomes secondary. But every day practically there is cake on the counter at the reception desk or some other carby evil. The food culture at that place is deadly.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 17:11

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
one group of people who kept weight off were those who were "professionals" of a sort, leading WW groups, Herbalife groups, being spokespersons, etc.
So why do you think I'm here??

Your would-be Poster Woman for LCE,
Barb
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 18:20

BF:

Here's a link to Dr. Eades's discussion from 2008. It was posted here at that time, so there's probably a thread of comments around here somewhere.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/200.../oprahs-plight/
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 08:55
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx

I recall in Rethinking Thin by NYT reporter, Gina Kolata, her saying one group of people who kept weight off were those who were "professionals" of a sort, leading WW groups, Herbalife groups, being spokespersons, etc.

I wonder where I'd be categorized being a 100 lb. loser and hitting 10 yrs. in maintenance last month and am not a so called professional.

This is part of the reason I don't post here much any longer. I am not a freak of nature and I don't have an obsession with my food and eating. I've reached a place of acceptance with how and what I eat and don't eat. I've also reached a level of acceptance with my imperfect body.

Pfffft...to the so called professionals and celebrities.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 09:18

BF:

From my long experience with exercise videos, not to mention weight loss gurus, I venture to say that very few of those leaders and promoters have ever been obese at any time in their lives. Most of these people either began their careers as fitness professionals, or gained a few pounds in midlife and came up with a system to fix their changing physiology. Not much of it applies to the problem of obesity in the larger (pardon the expression) sense.

Hence we get the overwhelming popular culture of "eat less, move more" and crazy unsustainable diets. We also get that hopeless statistic that "less than 5% of people who lose weight keep it off."

Quote:
I've reached a place of acceptance with how and what I eat and don't eat. I've also reached a level of acceptance with my imperfect body.
Too simple. You're never going to make any money with a plan like that!
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 09:32

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
We also get that hopeless statistic that "less than 5% of people who lose weight keep it off."

I thought it was more like, 95% of diets fail. That's moderately more hopeful, since we get more than just the one shot.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 10:27
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
From my long experience with exercise videos, not to mention weight loss gurus, I venture to say that very few of those leaders and promoters have ever been obese at any time in their lives. Most of these people either began their careers as fitness professionals, or gained a few pounds in midlife and came up with a system to fix their changing physiology. Not much of it applies to the problem of obesity in the larger (pardon the expression) sense.
Very valid point, Barb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb
Hence we get the overwhelming popular culture of "eat less, move more" and crazy unsustainable diets. We also get that hopeless statistic that "less than 5% of people who lose weight keep it off."

Sustainable diet is key. It has been that for me.
I had to figure out what would be sustainable for me and I did that. I'm not zero carb or even very low carb. I actually don't count. But, I do not eat pizza, pasta, bread and rarely eat potatoes.
In my experience, during weight loss is the time to figure out how to eat that will be sustainable for life. Not after when you are in maintenance. Dr. Atkins was a wise man putting the OWL carb ladder into his multi phased plan.
I had to change the way I eat permanently. I did that and am 100% comfortable with the way I eat now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I've reached a place of acceptance with how and what I eat and don't eat. I've also reached a level of acceptance with my imperfect body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb
Yup! You got that right! I will never have money as I'm always broke.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 11:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Oprah, Call Melissa McCarthy Low carb, gave up bread and pasta. Does Pilates now.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mel...hted-own-design

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-17-16 at 13:11.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 13:03

BF:

Quote:

I have noticed that a lot of weight loss gurus were thin most of their lives, gained a crapload of weight due to weird life circumstances and felt really awful but that's not how a lot of larger people have lived their lives. I have lost and mostly maintained a good deal of weight over the time I've been on this list, but I don't expect to ever be below what I weighed at 18. That's a deeper thing going on. Maybe I'm just the one that's supposed to be fat LOL? Because there are always some who are predispositioned to that.
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 13:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I wonder where I'd be categorized being a 100 lb. loser and hitting 10 yrs. in maintenance last month and am not a so called professional.

This is part of the reason I don't post here much any longer. I am not a freak of nature and I don't have an obsession with my food and eating. I've reached a place of acceptance with how and what I eat and don't eat. I've also reached a level of acceptance with my imperfect body.

Pfffft...to the so called professionals and celebrities.

I don't think being mindful of your eating habits and your health is what's meant here by "professional". You are living a mentally healthy lifestyle - you eat what's good for you and you don't eat what's not good for you. That's just wisdom .
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 14:59

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
From her behavior she's not interested in a solution, and really prefers the churn of the diet roller coaster. There's more money in that and LOTS of followers. WW is perfect for that.

Agree completely.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 16:53

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 317/244/180 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress: 53%

Good for her. We would not want her finances to suffer now would we?

If I had her money my pesonal chefs would cook low carb and I would never be fat again.

She is like DR Oz. Screw the truth and do whatever it takes to make the most money possible.

Rich people really ARE different.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 19:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:

You are correct. An exception was Susan Powter. She lost 133 pounds.

http://www.infomercial-hell.com/blo...p-the-insanity/

She was all about low fat/quantity and SO MUCH EXERCISE in an attempt to burn up those carbs before they turned to fat. I did something similar for several years... when I was young and strong.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 22:00

BF:

I do remember Susan Powter. What a character. I used couple of her videos back in the day. Her pep talks were motivating! I looked her up online the other day, and I think she's still around.

Like you, I had success in earlier decades with the low-cal/low-fat/hours of aerobics method. Lost 50lbs one year and ended up as the "how I did it" article in Fitness Magazine, thanks to a writer friend. The exercise habit stuck. Dietary approach took a new direction.

The argument continues as to whether one can be "fat and fit." Also, we read about folks who are "skinny fat"--not fat but not healthy either. Each of us--Oprah included--is an experiment of one, a work in progress until we turn to dust. For me, like Oprah, it's important not to give up. We just have different kinds of resources to invest in the process.
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 22:09

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I have noticed that a lot of weight loss gurus were thin most of their lives, gained a crapload of weight due to weird life circumstances and felt really awful but that's not how a lot of larger people have lived their lives.

There was Richard Simmons who was fat through childhood and into early adulthood I believe. He still has a website and they sell his dvd's on Amazon. He used to have a tv show. He was always a little too exuberant for me but lots of people liked him.

Jean