Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 20:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/292/215 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:
Arrow Older, fatter, not any wiser apparently

I have been off and on the wagon quite a few times as it relates to this WOE. I have had some good success in the past and well, I'm back again, Sick and tired of being sick and tired. Life has beaten me up for the last 40 years and I've reached the point where I need to do something or start planning on dying. I lost a career of 35 years or so.. and I'm kind of glad its over. Military (Infantry) and a career in the trucking industry has finally taken its toll. I have been made painfully aware of the damage I have done to myself.. and now I feel like I've wasted my life in it all.

I am fat.. morbidly obese to the real world. I am 6'2" and now tip the scales at 292. I have been heavier in my life, but I was "tough".. and young. Now I'm 58 and worn out. My last doctor visit I was shown a lot of the damage that I have been living with forever. The doctor was pretty shocked that I am not on pain meds, or that I was never treated for most of these injuries. I was tough, and a bread winner.. for a wife and four kids.. I never had time or the luxury of being hurt for long. I'm a broken down old fool.

Now, I am on another attempt at controlling something that I now have the time and means of taking care of. I have failed more that I would ever like to admit. Now. I am semi-retired and the care taker of my 84 year old father.. He is my work.. even though there is no pay. I lurk a lot, I am glad to have found this site.. wish me luck
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 20:24

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Welcome back!

I'm struggling myself. I have lost and gained back the same 20-30 pounds over and over and over. I'm also sick and tired of being sick and tired. (hahaha)

Right now I have committed to intermittent fasting for 20 or more hours per day. It's working so far!
Good luck and post often
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 20:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi FoozyNok, Welcome

You'll find a lot of good help here, we are all on the same track!

There are several guys on the forum who have done it just like you and they regained their health. I'm sure you will be hearing from them soon.

Purge your house of all of the bad carbs and sugar if you can. Crackers, bread, macaroni, noodles, cookies, cake etc...(I now have a very empty pantry with no flour,sugar or any of the above) now we only have a few cans of tuna and sardines.

Then, stock up on eggs, bacon, all meat sausage, beef, pork, lamb, chicken with the skin, fish, cheese, heavy cream, butter.
Then add veggies you like that are on plan, low carb.

This link has the list of Atkins induction foods/ the beginning.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

Ask if you have questions!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 20:52

BF:
Progress:

The odd thing is that I have never stopped keeping the good things carb wise.. I don't have to get rid of everything and as long as I am motivated and not get lazy.. I have things here to eat that are on plan... I lost 50 pounds on Atkins in 2002 or so. A lot of water and a lot of life has passed under that bridge since then.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 20:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzyNOK
The odd thing is that I have never stopped keeping the good things carb wise.. I don't have to get rid of everything and as long as I am motivated and not get lazy.. I have things here to eat that are on plan... I lost 50 pounds on Atkins in 2002 or so. A lot of water and a lot of life has passed under that bridge since then.

That's great because some people have a house full of it
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 21:02

BF:

Sorry, I forgot to say..THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 21:12

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Sorry, I forgot to say..THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!

Thank you.. it's been a blessing and curse in more than one way...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 21:14

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
That's great because some people have a house full of it

Still lots of it here.. its rarely to never where the stuff here is the threat.. its usually the going out for meals or when I travel(ed), when I worked 14 - 20 hour days which used to be almost constant.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 21:30

BF:

I read where you were writing about injuries you had that your doctor said was never addressed. Maybe this will help some getting on LC and taking weight off, it is harder to carry. I know a lot of people report getting rid of pain in joints. I had knees that started acting badly from several mishaps of various sorts and they're fine now. I think the increase in fats as well as the reduction in inflammation because getting rid of carbs, has everything to do with it.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Mon, Jan-13-20 at 23:05.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 04:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Now you really need to live for yourself! Which will also help you take care of your dad.

At this time last year I was in a horrible situation. My chronic autoimmune illness had worsened by several notches, and the first phase of medicine had stopped working. I needed drastic help, so I went drastic: 3 days of fasting and then beef only for almost a month.

I got drastic results! Arrested the slide and I started healing. I'm still on very strict keto, almost carnivore, but what I gave up is nothing compared to what I got.

All modern medicine likely does is treat the symptoms. See how much your body can actually heal.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 07:59

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Welcome to the group, everyone here is super supportive and very helpful!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 08:15

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Guess what, Fozzy. Life starts over Every. Single. Day. (I might have used a familiar four-letter word in the middle, but this is a family forum.}

Quote:
now I feel like I've wasted my life in it all.
Lately, inspired by friends of a similar age (I'm 73) I've scribbled some informal memoirs--snippets of that long life. Stupid always stands out.

You've given yourself a break by coming here.

I do wish you luck, and more than that. Your role of caregiver is demanding and probably heartbreaking in a lot of ways. The best way to handle it is taking care of yourself first. We're here to help, whatever you ask for.

Please put a visit to the forum on your docket every day, if only for a few minutes. Find an eating plan that's easy and makes you feel good. Clear out the junk to keep it out of reach.

The doctor, if you like him/her, might help by taking some base measurements: blood pressure, etc. That way, as a military guy, you can chart results, and that's always encouraging.

Best wishes!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 08:45

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I read where you were writing about injuries you had that your doctor said was never addressed. Maybe this will help some getting on LC and taking weight off, it is harder to carry. I know a lot of people report getting rid of pain in joints. I had knees that started acting badly from several mishaps of various sorts and they're fine now. I think the increase in fats as well as the reduction in inflammation because getting rid of carbs, has everything to do with it.

Most of my injuries are due to old "healed" injuries.. I had a knee reconstruction in 95 which is worn down, other knee is worn out, broke my back (SI joint), Have arthritis and a huge bone spur in my spine, apparently I broke my neck when I was in the military, Broken feet, broken hands.. and now arthritis has set in really bad. I'm a damned train wreck.. But.. I am back on at least controlling my carbs, at this point, that's something.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 09:04

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hey Fozzy,

Welcome to the forum and let me personally thank you for your service to our country. I see great hope for you. Something always wakes us up and makes us realize that we have to get this weight off. Its different for everyone, but there is always some point that we say "this is it". For me it was knee and foot pain. My podiatrist kindly told me that much of my pain and issues would improve if I could manage to lose weight. I walked out of his office with some orthotics, bought new shoes, and started my diet.

Your weight may say "morbidly obese" as mine did, but that is a chart, and believe me there are many who started with even more to lose. Look at the success stories on the board. There are many of them. I started at 267 and I am only 5'4"......I was listed as morbidly obese on my doctor's reports and it my goal to get to "normal". I have lost 96 pounds so far and have 26 pounds to go to get to "normal" on those charts. It took a few years, as I fell off the wagon now and then, but here I am.

You will feel better and better as the weight drops and that will motivate you to keep you going. Your energy level will improve and some of your pain may be lessened. With all of your old injuries and arthritis, any weight loss will help. I remember the first 50 pounds I lost.....that was like losing a 50 bag of horse feed. Those bags are heavy to pick up. That's a lot of relief for your body.

Also......your outlook on life will be more upbeat.

Start simply and just....start. It will come.

Again, welcome and keep a journal. It helps

Last edited by Bangle : Tue, Jan-14-20 at 09:09.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 21:45

BF:
Progress:

I did go to the doctor's yesterday and they took blood, the A1C is high, but not as high as I suspected. The diet is what I start focusing on and that is the old tried and true Atkins. I did well today, I have to find some different dressing.. found one that was zero carb.. but not thrilled with it. Back to reading labels like a mad man. I am working on the strictness of the diet as I know I can do that.. the working out that I need to do is something that I dread as I have lost a lot of ground since the last time I was trying it. Thanks for the responses.