Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 11:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/286/165 Female 66 inches
BF:46%/46%/22.5 or <
Progress: 0%
Smile the LC bandwagon - buyer beware

Here's my morning shopping experience.

I went to Price Chopper to buy some candy for a family treat this evening. The display had Russell Stover's SF candy side-by-side with the LC candy. This was a very good thing.

I compared the boxes of french mints. Ingredients and nutrition info were identical. But, catch this: SF contained 7oz vs LC which contained 6oz (in the same size box). It gets even better. The SF was $2.99/box. The LC was $4.99/box. That works out to $6.83/lb for SF chocolate while the LC was $13.30/lb! That's ridiculous! Both Price Chopper and Russell Stover's are on the LC bandwagon - and making us pay the price for it!

I know that LCers want more LC products to show up mainstream. But, we need to be good consumers and beware! If this is happening with the candy, you can be sure that it is happening in many other products as well.

Shari
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 11:16

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

You are so right, Shari. The LC market is a booming industry. We need to teach the manufacturers that they should be competing for our money. As more products hit the market, we have more selection and we should keep an eye out for price gouging.
Personally, I think the Atkin's products are way overpriced. Now that there are more brands showing up, they may need to bring their prices down to stay competitive.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 11:24

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree with both of you!

This is a great thread to state the obvious. You can find (read labels and ingredients) a lot of LC food in the diabetic section but be careful because Sorbee and others still have the demented idea that sugar is ok in the form of fructose sweetening. Sometimes these items are actually a bit cheaper than true LC stuff.

A couple of companies are trying to be FAT FREE and SUGAR FREE at the same time (I think trying to ride both sides of the dieting fence) and I have got to say that most of these products are horrible tasting.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 11:56

Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I dont know if you guys have a TRADER JOES in your area but I get my shakes there for $1.99 as opposed to $2.99 they charge at vons or albertsons. The bars are priced at 1.69 I think I dont eat those but sitll and then they have 6 pack of the low carb tortillas and they are only $1.50.

But I've seen what you mean about russell stovers low carb vs sugarfree. ALOT of price diff
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:39
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I found a big difference in taste between Atkins and Edge! I bought Edge because it's half the price-but ewwwww! I'll stick with the more expensive Atkins. How do they expect people to drink that stuff? I also think Atkins is way overpriced. But then-I don't buy it often for just that reason.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I love the EAS shakes, and they are cheaper. The edge ones aren't low carb, did you grab the carb control kind? I havn't tried the Atkins ready made shakes. I tried the powdered made with 2 scoops like the lable says. It ended up tasting like foul chalky sludge to me. I can stand 1 scoop with cream or in yogurt, but that's about all.

I know what you mean about LC products. It's like those metabostyx. They place them with the LC diet products and write on the box "Great for Low Carb Diets". The regular diabetic keto sticks are less then half the price because they aren't a "diet aid".
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:42

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

The EAS bars (carb controlled) are pretty gross! I bought some of the choc fudge shakes but have not tried them yet. I hope they are better than the bars!