Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 08:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Muscle soreness mystery

I've started doing some weight lifting. Anyway, my first couple of times I did it until my muscles burned, but I had no soreness the next day. I know that when I'm in ketosis I get much less of that anyway, but I was surprised to have none.

So this last time I worked out I really added a lot more weight and my muscles still weren't sore the next day, but the day after that they were.

What's up with that?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 09:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

How many reps are you doing? <12? What is the time between reps? >90sec?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 11:39
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I lifted weights for years in my teens & 20's. I've done it off and on again in the years since and just started again for the first time in 5 years. I want to do strength training - 6 to 8 reps at the max weight I can do. But I can't start out there. If I start the weights too high, I inevitably pull or strain something and it takes quite a while to heal. I have to start slow and work up. So I started out at a weight where I could easily do 12 to 15 reps per set X 4 sets a few minutes apart. I'm in my 3rd week now lifting every other day. I'm down to 10 reps per set at a heaver weight. So far so good. I have not injured anything yet and I'm feeling a better burn now than I did when I started. I hope to be doing true strength training at my max weight load within a few more weeks. There is a real difference between the burn from tearing down and rebuilding muscle and injuring yourself. Be sure you start slow and work your way up to where you want to be.

About the "burn"... my experience has been that I feel the burn for just a few hours after lifting. The next day, my muscles may feel a little weak and tired, but they don't burn and they should not hurt. If you tear something or strain a tendon, it will hurt. If it is severe, I usually give the sore area a break and let it heal. If it is not too bad, I will just back up a little on the weight and do a lighter workout. I've noticed that strains and tears don't heal as fast as they did when I was 18. So I try to be very careful.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Sep-25-14 at 11:51.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 12:19
Experimenter

BF:

Oh, I used to have super sore muscles the day after I'd lift. Not a delayed reaction 2 days later. I thought that was odd.

I like your idea of doing lots of reps at first. I'd been trying to reach muscle fatigue in 7-8 reps and then repeat after a few minutes. Maybe better to do more reps and more of them for now.

I need to take a little notebook with me so I can keep track of what I'm doing.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 12:45
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

The way I was taught to lift, I should be pretty much recovered from the previous workout before I do the next one. We did upper body one day, then lower body the next. If something still hurts after the recovery day, then I probably over did it and tweaked something. It may be different for different people. It may be different for women (didn't have too many in any of my weight training classes back in the old days).

I was also taught to do 12 to 15 reps (x 3 or 4 sets) for muscle tone and 6 to 8 reps x 3 sets at max weight to improve strength. In college, I was stronger than an ox and could bench 295 pounds at a time when I only weighed 190. I must have had a mental block or something, 'cause I could never get to 300 and I tried for months. I doubt I'll ever be that strong again, but I'd like to give some of my loose skin something to cover. I expect to be doing this for a while -- so I'm easing back into it slowly.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Sep-25-14 at 13:10.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 13:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oh, I used to have super sore muscles the day after I'd lift. Not a delayed reaction 2 days later. I thought that was odd.

I like your idea of doing lots of reps at first. I'd been trying to reach muscle fatigue in 7-8 reps and then repeat after a few minutes. Maybe better to do more reps and more of them for now.

I need to take a little notebook with me so I can keep track of what I'm doing.

A notebook is a great idea.

You may be doing soft tissue damage. I'd strongly suggest you rest for a few days then do an extended anatomical adaptation phase. Only then should you transition to a muscle building phase. Here is a link describing the AA phase.

http://www.ptonthenet.com/articles/...-Adaptation-891
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 16:48

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Nancy, I too have experienced that delayed soreness. I've also experienced same day or next day soreness. I find the better overall shape I am in the sooner I feel it. If it's been weeks or months since I've worked out, I won't feel it till 2 days later. If I'm working out regularly, but I really push it on one particular exercise, I'll feel it later that day or maybe the next day. It seems counterintuitive, but that's how it works for me.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 16:49
Experimenter

BF:

Huh! Very interesting. I've been working out for a month now. Guess I have a ways to go!