Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-10, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 185/172/140.0 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 29%
Default Northern Nevada

Any body out there from Northern Nevada?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-10, 22:37
Armywife26

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm by Carson City, you? :-)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 12:10
Registered Member

Default Northern Nevada

I live in Fallon. Is your husband in the National Guard? We aren't Navy. My husband has lived here all his life and I'm originally from Mesa, AZ. How long have you been low carbing?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 12:40
Armywife26

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Fallon is nice. Way better than Dayton where I'm at. Sometimes we go shopping on the base out there but its a good hour drive. Yes, he's active right now in Afghanistan but stationed out of Yerington. My husband has lived here most of his life too. LoL I grew up in California myself. I've been off and on for about 6 months but always slip up and gain what I've lost right back. Grr! lol u?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-10, 14:38
Registered Member

I did a low carb (Carbohydrate Addicts) after my now 10 year old was 1. It worked for about a year and then I started gaining weight regardless of how strictly I followed the diet. I went for years after that eating whatever I wanted. Then about 4 years ago I decided to do a modified South Beach and was very successful and lost about 30 pounds. After I had reached that milestone, I found out I was pregnant, a surprise! So I continued until I got to the morning sickness phase and then I didn't care anymore. After I weaned my daughter I got back on the wagon and had lost about 25 pounds when I discovered I was pregnant again, this time after a vasectomy. you talk about a shock, not to mention my husband was 41 and I was 38 at the time. Anyway, she is 16 months old now and I started this AGAIN on Jan 1. Not really a New Years resolution, but because my sister in AZ was starting and we are trying to support each other. Anyway, that is my roller coaster ride. I think I can stay on this diet for life (as long as I don't get pregnant!)if I allow my self some special occasions from time to time to spurge for one day, like Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. I know one thing, having 4 kids (I have a 12, 10, 3 and 16 mos, the older two are boys and the younger two are girls) has changed my body in a negative way, like my stomach and hips for example. It takes more weight loss in pounds to go down in size. Well, didn't mean to write a book or anything.
Stephanie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 21:30
Armywife26

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Well I dont have 4 kids but I have 2 that are 14 months apart so I know the feeling of SURPRISE prego again! lol I know what you mean regarding the whole body change. Its crazy, one day I looked in the mirror and thought "am I ever gonna lose this belly after having kids?" My boys are 3 and 4 years old now and its time to get back to my old self again! I saw a pic of myself at my son's bday party and was shocked to realize that I look like i'm 5 months pregnant! It sure is embarrassing to have a wake up call like that. Its like u see yourself one way and then you see a picture and its a total different FAT person...I keep trying to stay motivated but its hard when u dont have support. My husband will be home hopefully next month so that will be great. Is South Beach working for you? I read the book a couple years ago, but didnt really start it ever.
-Samantha
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 11:56
Registered Member

I guess I kind of do my own thing for a diet. I follow the South Beach loosely. The SB is low-fat and I hate the taste of low-fat cheese, etc. so I eat fat. I guess I probably follow more of an Atkins style, except I don't keep track of total carbs per day and I allow myself a small piece of fruit with lunch. SB allow fruit after the first two weeks. So, like I said, I do a mix. It's more like Steph's Low Carbohydrate Diet It seems to work ok. Everyday is different. I never know what to expect when I get on the scale. It flucuates a lot, but the overall trend is downward, so I guess I'm doing something right. I'm trying to eat now the way I can eat long term. I figure if I go overboard being very stringent, I won't keep it up.

I know what you mean about the "baby belly". It's disgusting. Even if I lost 60 pounds my stomach would still look like jello. I don't know how some women can pop kids out and then have their stomachs go back to flat right away. It's just a fantasy of mine. I know one thing, I did not appreciate my body before I had kids. I haven't been really thin since my early 20's, but the changes that babies bring is unbelievable!

I also understand about not recognizing yourself in pictures. It's like, is that me? I'm not that fat. It's crazy. I feel like a skinny person trapped in fat body. I'm not fat, I'm just trapped!

Do you exercise? If you're like me, you feel like you take care of your kids and house all day, unless you work outside your home, and then you still have to take care of your house and kids when you come home. I have a hard time fitting exercise in, but when the weather improves, we will go to the park more and I plan on doing some walking with the girls in the stroller. I've just never been one to do the gym.

Having your husband home will probably relieve a lot of stress, which is counterproductive to weightloss. I admire military wives, you have to be so strong! My husband's cousin is a Lt. Col. in the Marines and his wife is amazing.

What weightloss plan have you been following?

Well, I really look forward to your replys!
Stephanie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 13:07
Armywife26

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

South Beach does sound interesting except for the low fat...lol I really enjoy eating how Atkins has it. Being able to eat a steak for dinner every night is like eating out for me. The only downfall for me seems to be the soda. I cant seem to cut it! Its for sure an addiction. I know you can drink diet but its not the same for me. If I could shake that, I would be doing better. Also, my in-laws live right down the street so the kids and I are over there a lot and they dont understand the "Atkins" way of eating. I seem to fail every time I go over there. lol
You sure said it right about the belly fat. I didnt apperciate my body either! That tire around my waist has got to go (along with all the other fatty parts)
My husband doesnt care as far as my weight goes. He'd probably still love me if I was 500 pounds. He's always been the type to say "I love you just the way you are, your gorgeous and sexy now but if u want to lose weight, do it for you, not for me." He's wonderful. Not having him home has been a challenge. We were living with my in-laws for awhile until I realized I needed to grow up and do things for myself or I would never be the independant women I should be. So we moved out in November. Had to set up the house alone and still maintain everything else.
I stay at home with the kids as well and I know how you feel about the weather. I wish it would just warm up so the kids could play outside. I try to walk on my treadmill as much as I can, which means its been 2 weeks since the last time my feet touched it. I recently did order Walk Away The Pounds DVD which I really enjoy. The first mile takes 15 minutes and I really felt like it was only 5 minutes. It was fun and easy. I think finding a workout you really like is important. I was getting bored walking on the treadmill looking at nothing. I use to go to the gym, which they had a free kids club the kids enjoyed, but I got to the point where I would go less and less and still be paying for it so I quit that. Why pay for something you dont do, right?
I've done Atkins in the past and lost weight on it in less time than anything I've tried before. Just seems like this time I cant stick to it. I keep saying...i'll re-start tomorrow and then a week will go by. I wanted to lose most of the weight before my husband got home and well, u see I havent! LOL Either way, I'm still going to work on it. I think the stress will be gone having him home from Afghanistan and not having to worry every second of the day will be much easier. Being a military wife is for sure hard emotionally. If I havent talked to my husband in 24 hours my mind starts to go crazy with thoughts and it can sure effect your mood. My husband tries to make me understand that sometimes he cant call and I get it, I just worry too much I guess. Having a husband that is constantly in hostile fire is hard to deal with! But I try to stay positive, you really have to if you want to get through the deployment.
Anyway, I really look forward to your replys too! Its nice to know your not the only one out there that feels like this! lol Sorry about the book! Hope your day is going good!
-Samantha
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 12:43
Registered Member

Hi Samantha,

Well, I would say if you have success with Atkins then stick with that one. Like I said, I really do my own thing. I read labels constantly though. I assume nothing. I'm sorry you have a soda addiction that is a hard one to break. I personally will not give up my coffee in the morning. I've read things about caffeine raising your blood sugar or something, but I don't care. I have to have it, so I understand. It's a shame that diet soda won't cut it for you. My sister in law is addicted to diet coke, which I think is gross.

My in-laws live about a mile away and when we eat over there they are clueless about low carb. It's definitely a challenge. Sometimes I don't think my MIL knows what a carb is. She's always offering me pretzels and stuff. I just eat the stuff that I can.

Your husband sounds like a true man! He loves his wife for her and not her exterior shell. My husband is the same way. We are blessed to have husbands like that. My sister's ex was awful to her. He really abused her emotionally about her weight, which just made it worse. It was sad. After she found out he'd cheated on her, she finally cut him lose. It was very hard for her though. She was a little messed up for a while. Emotional abuse is very damaging.

I hope you don't mind my asking, but how old are you? I'm 40. When your hubby gets home, you'll feel like a new woman. I can't imagine the stress you are under. The not knowing. I hope the time flys til he can be home. How long has he been gone? Are you involved in a military wives group of any kind? Do you have any support from other wives? I think it's great that you stay home with your kids. They really need you to be there with their daddy gone. And it's wonderful that you seem to have a great relationship with your inlaws (you must if you lived with them! I love my inlaws, but it would take a lot to get me to live with them and I'm sure they feel the same way. It's great support for you and wonderful for your kids. It is good that you moved out on your own though. It's healthy and empowering to know that you can do it yourself.

I have a Walk Away the Pounds dvd too, by Leslie somebody. I like it too, because it doesn't kick my butt so bad that I don't want to do it again, but I feel like I have done something. I just need to do it! I also have a Richard Simmons dvd that is disco. He's definitely an interesting fellow, but I need to be entertained when I am exercising.

You know, you shouldn't beat yourself up about not sticking to the diet. You have circumstances that lead to tremendous stress and anxiety. I know that life in general is stressful at times and we shouldn't make excuses to not get healthier, but you are in a position that is different then the everyday stress. Your husband will be home soon and that will be soon enough. Just do the best you can but don't kick yourself if you slip up.

I hope you have a great day, even though it's rainy, at least it's rainy in Fallon
Stephanie
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 14:55
Armywife26

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Stephanie,
I'm 26....my body feels like 80 though! Thanks for the advice and the support. It helps alot!
My inlaws are wonderful. I actually have to say I have a better and closer relationship with them than my own parents. Its nice to have in-laws that are truly loving and dont judge. They have always been helpful with the boys and myself while my husband has been gone. I can call them at anytime and they would be here in a heart beat. My father in law does all the manly work I cant. Like the flat tire I got a week ago...had no idea what to do.
Andrew has been gone a year. He had a 2 week leave in September and thats the last time he was home. He has a global phone however so we talk pretty much every day unless he goes on missions. Thank God he's coming home because all I seem to do is wait for a text message or a phone call from him. My phone is always on me...and if its not, I panic.
We are blessed to have great men in our lives. What does your husband do if you dont mind me asking? I was in a relationship like your sister before I met my husband and I vowed to myself never to make the same mistake again. Your self esteem is so low and you start to believe what they say. I was 150 pounds with my ex and he would tell me "if you gain any more, I'll leave you" it was a horrible relationship. I'm glad your sister cut him loose. Thats a really hard thing to do when you've been emotionally abused. She's stronger than I was!
When I met Andrew, it was like being treated like a queen. He's one of the best things that has ever happen to me. We've been married for almost 6 years, together for 7.
I saw Richard Simmons on Dr. Oz the other day...he's very interesting like you said but I think he's great. He's very positive and seems like he really does actually CARE about people. He's very motivating if u ask me. I need to be entertained as well....I just get too bored if I'm not and never want to do it again.
Its a rainy day here too. But I love the rain....just wish the kids could play outside! It was raining so hard last night it woke me up! Have a great rest of your day!
-Sam
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 11:24
Registered Member

Hi Samantha!

Wow, I can't believe your husband has been gone for a year! You are so young to have two little kids and your husband gone for so long. I didn't even have kids when I was 26. I don't know how you cope with it. You never did say if you are in a military wives group? I've known lots of military over the years and most of them have been very involved in that type of group. I guess it helps to be around people who REALLY understand what you are going through.

You asked what my husband does and he and his brother are heating and air conditioning contractors here in Fallon. Oasis Air Conditioning, Heating and Sheet Metal. My husband (Robb) and I also own several rental properties and that keeps him somewhat busy. We have them professionally managed to take care of most of the headaches. I'm pretty much worthless because of my little girls.

Well, back to the low carb thing, what do you think of the meat and eggs thing? Can you eat veggies at all? It sounds interesting to maybe get through a stall. I don't know. It's just been very slow for me. I've lost 16 pounds since Jan 1 and I'm trying really hard to get to that 20 pound milestone, but it seems a long way off the way things are going. It's definitely a two step forward, one step back process. Kind of frustrating. It certainly gets harder the older you get

Well, I hope you have a terrific day! Enjoy your little boys, although I'm sure they drive you crazy at times. Before you know it they will be big like my two boys.

Talk to ya soon.
Stephanie
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 23:03
Armywife26

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Stephanie!

Andrew and I got married when I was 20, he was 19...YES i know, he's a youngin' for me

No, I dont have any military wife support groups. I hear they exist, but in the year of my husband's deployment I have not heard once from them. Its actually quite sad. I gave our family info, oooohhhh 3 or 4 times before my husband left and still have never heard of any meetings, social gatherings, etc. From what I hear from my father in-law (he works at the National Guard base) not a lot of wives ever hear from them. I have to give some credit though. We have a Family Readiness Group that does call once a month to make sure you are ok and if you need anything. Thats always good. If it wasnt for my husband's global phone, who knows when I would hear from him. I wonder what the other wives are going through.

Your family sounds like a very strong one! Congrats on you and your husband's success. Thats amazing. My husband has always wanted to own his own business, after of course the military. He's been in for 4 years now, has 3 more left on his contract. I'm glad you get to spend time with your kids though....sometimes its a headache, but its all worth it in the end. They grow up so fast, its crazy!

Meat and Eggs....you know I've actually been considering doing this...its interesting to see people's weight loss. In the forums I've seen that people do this as an actual way of eating, not just a fast. Seems to work, I just dont know if I can handle that much eggs... I dont think you can have any veggies or fruit though. Some people dont even have dairy. So i'm not too sure.
By the way.... YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!!!! 16 pounds is amazing!!!! I wish I could do that....and think 16 is better than nothing...I'd rather have 16 lost, then nothing at all. Good job girl!

If your willing to go meat and egg, I say go for it. If it doesnt work, then you know its not for you. No harm in trying in my opinion.

I hope you had a good day! Mine was cleaning the house all day...shampooing carpets (we got a puppy), cleaning bathrooms, taking care of the kids...etc....you know the deal!

Talk to ya later!
-Sam
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 10:53
Registered Member

Hi Sam,

Your husband still has 3 more years? How much longer will he have to serve in Afghanistan? You said he is coming home in about a month, will he have to go back? I know how proud you must be of your husband. My family is very patriotic and we support our military 100% We're grateful that there are people willing to risk it all to defend America, still the greatest country on earth, despite what some people say.

Well, it's too bad about the wives group. Maybe it's just as well though, I've heard some horror stories about the how snooty they can be. I don't think I would fit in to a wives group. I've been around a lot of officers wives since the Navy base is here in Fallon, and some have been very nice and some have been very snooty.

I think you have a strong family too, Sam. You have to be strong to be in the military! My husband and his brother were blessed that their father started the business 30 years ago. He's retired now. I will tell you, being in business with family is very challenging and just because you are brothers, doesn't mean you get along. There have been many ups and downs over the years, but ultimately, Robb would rather work for himself than somebody else. You guys are young, you have lots of years ahead you to do many things. Just enjoy every day! I don't always take my own advice, but I try!

Yesterday, I ate only meat, by accident really. We are going to Winnemucca for a wrestling tounament (both my boys wrestle-great sport!) so I was getting our camp trailer cleaned and all that jazz and I was so busy I ate eggs for breakfast, then I had some cheese and a handful of nuts for lunch and then I got a take and bake pizza for everyone else and I had left over pork roast. I lost like 2 pounds! I'm sure tomorrow I will be up, but hey, I'm enjoying it for today! I couldn't do that long term. I don't think it's healthy because we all need at least veggies! But, I think if you are stalled or fall off the wagon, it would be a good jolt.

Anyway, I have lots to do today so we can leave right after school. I will be gone all weekend so if don't write back, it because I'm gone.

You have a great weekend! I'll pray for your husbands speedy and safe arrival!
Stephanie
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 19:57
Armywife26

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Stephaine,
Yes, Drew has 3 more years as National Guard. Since he was over for a year, they cant re-deploy him for a year. So he'll continue to do his weekend drills every month unless he goes active. National Guard can be confusing. Thank you guys for supporting the military...without people like our soliders where would are country be?! But we wont start that touchy subject...

Some wives can be snooty I agree. I went to a x-mas party and it was like high school all over again...lol whatever floats their boat.

2 pounds!!!! Thats awesome! Congrats! You should be so proud of yourself. I dont think I could do that meat thing all day, ever day either. Maybe if I was eating New York steaks every night but that could get expensive...

Hope your boys did awesome in the tournament!!! Cant wait to see my boys in sports. You must be a proud mommy! Hope you all had a great weekend on top of your busy schedule. Bought my husband a Land Rover today so he has a vehicle when he gets home...although I'm thinking I might just give him the jeep we have and I'll drive it... Anywho, talk to you later and thanks for the prayers!
Sam
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 19:33
Registered Member

Hi Sam,
Wow, I can't believe you bought your husband a Land Rover! I think my husband would have a stroke if I bought something that expensive without him! Is it a surprise?

Well, my boys did good at the tournament. My oldest placed 1st both days and my youngest placed 2nd and 3rd. Overall a good time, but exhausting. Sports is good for children, but it can take over your life if you let it, and we have

I thought I would gain weight this weekend due to water weight. It's hard to drink a lot of water when you aren't at home. I didn't though, and I was on my best behavior eating. I really got hungry quite a bit but there are only so many low carb choices for snacks. Cheese sticks are the most portable and I can only eat so much cheese or I pay I would really pig out at dinner. We ate out Fri at a basque restaurant and I had prime rib and salad. On Sat. we bbq'd with our wrestling club and I had tri tip steak and salad. Not much variety, but very tasty. It's good to be home though.

Well, I agree that our country needs a strong military. Me and mine are very conservative and not ashamed to be such. I just pray our country stays strong.

Well, you have a wonderful day. What's the update on when your husband gets home?
Take care,
Stephanie