Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 23:57

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Really bad Eye sight. Getting worse

Hi.
Hope I can ask this here? I see other people asking random health questions that aren't really low carb..

I' 23 years old and my eye sight keeps getting worse. I've had problems starting at like 9yrs old. Without contacts or glasses, it's like walking in really bad fog. All I see is a big huge blur spot, like smoke or fog. Seriously, I can't see anything clear no matter how close it is to me. I wear contacts and the past year or so, I keep needing my prescription changed! I'm at -75 right now. Things are MUCH MUCH clearer, no fog/smoke, but I can't make out details. Like if someone is 10 ft away fro me, I can't make out their face. I can't read signs with BIG letters. Driving down the street, even the DUNKIN DONUTS sign is blurry! If I didn't know already it said "Dunkin Donuts", I wouldn't be able to read it lol.

Anyways, my doctor said it's normal because of my age right now to get worse and it will stop. But I don't know. My doctor is great and all, but I feel like I am going to be blind by the time I am 25. What do you think? Normal? Will it stop? Anyone else have experience or know anything about this?

My doctor also recommended laser eye surgery. But that sounds even more scary. I'm sure there is a slight chance something could go wrong and I'd really go blind.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 00:22

Plan: Atkins - Low-Cal
Stats: 145/128/120 Male 67 inches
BF:10%/5%/2%
Progress: 68%

My right eye is blurry... increasingly blurry i've noticed since starting LC. I can't really say anything else about it because I have no actual evidence of why it's like that, since i've never been to an eye doctor. All I know is that it's got worse since I started LC.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 06:27
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

hmm I wonder if there is somthing to that my mother is having alot of vision problems just since she started low carbing less then a year ago.. will have to keep an eye out for information about it
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 09:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

There are vitamin pills out there that stress having things like lutein which is believed to be protective against macular degeneration.

If someone's vision is bad, especially suddenly bad, they should be seen at a hospital. Sudden changes in vision can mean stroke, tumour, glaucoma, dangerously high blood pressure and other pretty serious things.

Please see a doctor at least, an eye doctor if possible, and get a second opinion if you aren't happy with what's going on.

If low carbing were the cause, there would be more people having it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 16:46

Plan: atkins (modified)
Stats: 498/436/300 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 31%

I would suggest, seeing an eye doctor, and also getting an mri done, it might sound drastic but there could be something pinching on the optic nerve, always.. always get a second opinion and on something as important as your sight i would definatly do that in your case
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 17:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

See a different doctor. Either your exaggerating or your doctor is being negligent.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 17:59

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

I can't tell if you mean if your vision is that blurry with your glasses on, or off. If you are having that much trouble with them on then you need more help!

I agree with all the above posts that say get a second opinion! Vision is important. Don't mess around, go deal with it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 09:48
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

If you can't get decent vision with glasses or contacts, I don't see how laser surgery would help you. But then, I had LASIK and ended up with night blindness as a result so I'm not a fan or LASIK or PRK.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 20:16
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Studies show high carbs can cause myopia. My vision and hearing have improved with fasting and LC. I used to think I ended up needing glasses from studying too much in school!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
There is also preliminary data in humans suggesting that the consumption of refined carbohydrates may be associated with the development of myopia ...
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ght=nearsighted

Last edited by mike_d : Mon, Dec-17-07 at 20:28. Reason: link
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 08:42

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoOwnsMe
Hi.
I' 23 years old and my eye sight keeps getting worse. I've had problems starting at like 9yrs old. Without contacts or glasses, it's like walking in really bad fog. All I see is a big huge blur spot, like smoke or fog. Seriously, I can't see anything clear no matter how close it is to me. I wear contacts and the past year or so, I keep needing my prescription changed! I'm at -75 right now. Things are MUCH MUCH clearer, no fog/smoke, but I can't make out details.

Anyways, my doctor said it's normal because of my age right now to get worse and it will stop. But I don't know. My doctor is great and all, but I feel like I am going to be blind by the time I am 25. What do you think? Normal? Will it stop? Anyone else have experience or know anything about this?

My doctor also recommended laser eye surgery. But that sounds even more scary. I'm sure there is a slight chance something could go wrong and I'd really go blind.

If your vision is changing that fast I agree that you need to get it checked again - by a diff doc! A -75, whick I assume is actually -0.75 is a very mild prescription. Mine was -7.75!!!

It is totally normal for vision to change as you get older - a long gradual change, nothing sudden, if you weren't paying attention you might not notice for a while. Your eyes will decline faster if you read a lot or use the computer a lot - that's why so many college and university students have reading glasses. Another set of changes occur when you get to middle age.

As for laser surgery, if your doc is recommending it while your vision isn't stable, he is NUTS! I had LASIK 2 years ago with amazing results (now I have perfect vision), but I had to have unchanged vision for at least a year before they would do it.

HTH, Julie

PS I just noticed the OP was in 2004.... old thread

Last edited by Mousesmom : Thu, Dec-27-07 at 08:43. Reason: just noticed something
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-07, 07:13
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I don't know where you live or what kind of eye doctor you are seeing- but you need to see someone else, and fast. It is just plain WRONG to give someone refractive eye surgery when their vision is not stable- the surgery will not work as it will only correct your vision where it is currently, not where it changes.
Please see an OPHTHALMOLOGIST and ask if he/she is BOARD CERTIFIED. Other than that, unless you live in an area close to a large teaching hospital/med school that is all I can suggest.
Please let us know what happens-
E
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 22:26
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 227/174/166 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Diva
I can't tell if you mean if your vision is that blurry with your glasses on, or off. If you are having that much trouble with them on then you need more help!

I agree with all the above posts that say get a second opinion! Vision is important. Don't mess around, go deal with it.

yea I couldn't tell if they meant that either (glasses on or off?) because when I take mine off...I can't see ANYTHING. But thats been like that since before LC.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-08, 22:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/130/110 Female 5,4
BF:
Progress: 62%

if your an artist, it may be due to constant eye stress (many artists become nearly blind with age) also chemicals in the paint that flicks off the brush does it to...I only mention it because thats whats happening to me lol
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 10:36

Plan: GEN. LC
Stats: 224.4/214.6/190 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 28%

I am really hoping that your prescription is a -7.5, not a -75. I would think that at some point past a -20 you would be legally blind(I am trying to find this out for sure at the moment). My left eye is a -6.00 and my right is a -8.00. It sounds like you have the same vision as me pretty much. Without my contacts or glasses, EVERYTHING is blurry! My eyesight started getting bad in 5th grade. It progressivly got worse till I was in my early 20's and has been at what it is now for the past 10 or so years.

You still should see a new doctor though. As suggested above see an OPHTHALMOLOGIST.

ETA: JUST realized the orig post was from 2004!!!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-08, 21:14

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%

Wow. I haven't been on this forum in years. I just happened to check my old email..which I do like once every 2 months cause it collects spam but some good online deals and cupons. LOL

k. I'm 26 now. LOL My vision still sucks but hasn't gotten worse. That one guy had me at -7.5 then I went to a new doctor and told them they had me at 7.5 and they couldn't get me there through the eye thing. So now I'm at -6.50. I don't think I got BETTER, I guess the first guy screwed up or something.. no clue.

I still can't read signs from a far while driving on the highway. So a year or 2 ago, I took the easy way out and got a GPS for when I don't know where I am going. I've left the state now without any problems. LOL My new doctor says my problems are because of my astigmatism and gave me BOTH torics unlike the first dr who only gave me one toric. I tried practically every soft contact out there. The one pair that I could read better with dried my eyes out like crazy so I stuck with the next best pair because they weren't drying and just sacrificed seeing a little clearer.

Actually it was getting better last year because I was doing some "natural" things. I bought a green star juicer and was drinking a lot of juice with carrot in it. Carrot is gross but it's amazing mixed with apple. Using glasses that aren't as strong while online also helped. I can see the computer just fine with no straining but not anything else.

Now my eyes are worse again thanks to some hypothyroid/hormone mess and other stupid little things that are coming up. (A test even confirmed insulin resistance) I was gaining weight on Synthroid and other weird symptoms so I switched to Armour. So I guess "keto" will be "owning" me again soon.