Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 14:35

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Smile Pre-trial for BFL

I wanted to say hi, I'm scared and excited ! The last time I made this kind of commitment to exercise was when the friendly USMC sent me to NCO school while stationed in HI (almost 13 years ago). Went from 143 (over max weight) to 135 in four weeks. Not a big deal, but I did drop from a size 12 to an 8/10!!!! Would prefer to not reexperience something like that again! Twelve weeks sounds much more doable!

I plan to start BFL (LC style) Mon 4/29/02. I am using the time between now and then to prepare and "practice"

I so appreciate the wealth of information and support on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe I would still be LCing, let alone starting BFL were it not for the incredible people here. Thank-YOU!!

KT
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 15:12
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

You sound just like me!!! Feel like I"m reading my own journal (except for the USMC part!!!). Don't fret....it's not as complicated as it seems. It'll work out quickly....then you can start kickin' butt!!

You Go!! Have FUN!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 18:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Welcome the to gang KT You'll have a blast (and some pretty sore body parts for a few days!). Doing practice runs is a great idea - helps you get the feel for the routines and lets you know what you're in for. Check out the posts in this forum for some advice - there have been a few questions from people doing the same thing you are. Questions about what size dumbbells to use and how sore they should be feeling after their first attempt at an UBWO (upper body workout). And of course, feel free to pick our brains

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 18:37
Starting Over!

Nat....what's BSBW?? What are you up to NOW??
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 19:02

BF:

Teri, it is all revealed in my gym log - about two pages back

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 19:07
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking Welcome

As they say practice make perfect.

You are going to have a blast. It is the most challenging exercise I have done ever, but I love it.

Nat is the resident expert (she's one her 3 12-week challenge.)
Trainerdan is also great for questions regarding exercise, form and supplements too.

Any questions, just ask, someone will answer.

Welcome.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 19:47

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Smile

Thank-you all for encouragement and welcome. I'm started on 15g of glutamine per day today, so hopefully that will help combat the soreness

I'm already looking forward to my 20' tomorrow, thinking about what kind of music I want to "sweat down to" - lol.

I am working on the 6 meal per day thing today, and am having trouble imagining eating 2 MORE times today! It's already 6:30PM and I will be in bed NTL 11:00. It seems like I am eating ALL THE TIME!

Thanks again to all of you who have gone before and share your experience and wisdom. The journals are a great help as well to see how people actually "walk the walk"

Till Tomorrow,
KT
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 06:38

BF:

KT, many of us find it helpful to eat much smaller meals at first. You'll increase them as you get hungry later on (and you will get hungry ) Remember you're trying to fuel yourself through 3 hours not 6 so portions will be smaller. If you find it impossible to get that last meal in at first then don't, but be sure you allow for it when you do need it. Eating 6 times a day is one way to keep metabolism up and to keep a constant supply of amino acids for your growing muscles. It takes planning but it's doable. After a few weeks you'll stop thinking "breakfast, breakfast, lunch, lunch, dinner, dinner" and it will become "meal, meal, meal, meal, meal, meal" - think outside the box. You can have a breakfast at dinner and vice versa.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/180.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Welcome to BFL, I am ending my 6th week and I love it. The time has gone so fast I can't believe it. I never really worked with weights before, so It was all new to me. I also did some practice runs before I actually started, it really helped. Keep us posted on your progress.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 07:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269.7/224.8/176 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Is it worth it? ...

Hi

I so much want to jump on the BFL wagon too as soon as I am back in South Africa (18 more days.) I have been on it, but then I left South Africa four months ago to travel abroad.

I have a problem though. I have been in a carcrash in 1992 and after 6 months in a wheelchair, I could only walk with crutches for the next 5 years. I had a fracture of right femur and it was fixed with a steelrod from knee to hip inside femur. I had 2 bonetransplants to get it to knit together. Right leg is now shorter than the other ... 3.5 cm. I also wrecked both my knees ... (crashed into the dashboard) and they are weak, can't take pressure ... kneeling, etc.

I went to a biokineticist, took the BFL book with me and asked her to work out a program for me based on his rules. She did so after testing various things such as strenth of my legs etc. My lower body workout is so pathetic, you people will laugh, but even so, some of the exercises are still difficult for me to do and definately nothing I can build muscle with. Example ... I have to attach elastic band to something solid and to my ancle and pull back my leg. Etc. Etc. I also can't run or bend, etc. She recommended exersizing in water. I am just too shy to go into the swimmingpool with my body (216 pounds at present).

My question is ... Is it worthwhile to do BFL if you know you can't build muscle in the lower body. Should I skip lower body workouts or just do a little to strenghten the muscles?

Thanks
Rey
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 07:39
Starting Over!

Hi Rey!

I am so sorry to hear about your accident and really happy that you have recovered as well as you have!! Moving and getting married soon, too! What a lot you have going on in your life! Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness!

My first reaction when I read your question is to mention to you that my favorite aspect of BFL is the upper body workout! I think most who haven't exercised regularly are in pretty poor shape above the waist...and I really feel the workout there. I love it!! If you have the time and energy to commit to such a program I would definitely suggest it and just modify your lower body workout to push it as far as you can.... that's basically the idea behind BFL. What results from your workouts is so much more than gaining muscle and losing inches, anyway....it's about creating confidence when you complete a challenging program. It's about pride in accomplishment!!

Best of luck to you in the coming weeks. Don't lose touch!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 08:08

BF:

Rey, I would pull out the information you got from your biokineticists and work from there. Yes, you can do a modified BFL program and enjoy the benefits. If you have the more recent version of the book, take a look at the stories in the back. There is a young woman who did the 12 week challenge from a wheelchair. My boyfriend cannot do the LBWO either - he was in a car accident (he was hit by a car when he was 13) and spent over a year in a cast. 7 operations later his left leg ended up shorter than his right, his knee hyper extends and he has no feeling from mid shin down. He does upper body and abs (and LC ) He's seeing great results, and he's a pretty sporatic exerciser. He doesn't do any cardio either.

What I am trying to say, in a round about way, is lifting weights will do you some good. It doesnt have to be BFL by the book to provide benefit. Building lean mass will increase your metabolism. It will enable you to weigh more and be smaller. It will allow you to eat more food and lose fat. Most of all it will make you feel strong and powerful.

Yeah, it really is worth it
Nat