Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 08:37

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
We could always turn to bacon and eggs for breakfast.

What a hardship!

That's something I've had such a hard time communicating to people - that the LC "diet" is both healthful & extremely tasty. There's no need to suffer to get healthy & lose weight. And I'm down another 4 lbs. I'll be changing my stats when it hits 5. Apparently this kind of adversity is good for my self control. I'm not working, so I'm planning the meals better.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 09:57

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
My regular grocery store is open 24/7--usually. I don't mind showing up there at 6am. But so far, I haven't ventured out. The only thing we might run out of is flaxseed from the health food store. Should I make a run for it?? We'll see. We could always turn to bacon and eggs for breakfast.
Haha, and one of my big fears is running out of bacon and eggs! Bacon is my savior currently and I have a few packs in the freezer, but it will run out eventually. What to do? What to do?

In the meantime I went and splurged on a SodaStream yesterday to assuage my fear of running out of fizzy water. It comes with two CO2 cannisters and supposedly each one will make 60 liters of fizzy, so that should last for a while though I’ll miss all my different flavors.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 12:20

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

On our "final run" to Costco last week, I picked up 4lbs of "real" bacon to put in the freezer, and one package of my regular "instant" microwave bacon, which we always keep on hand. We have quite a lot of meat and fish in that freezer now.

I made tuna salad yesterday. What's funny is, I postpone making tuna salad because I think I won't like it. This is a residual effect from WW back in the dark ages, when participants were required to eat at least three cans of water-pack tuna per week, straight from the can. Choking that down week after week pretty well defined my residual feeling about it.

However...dressed up with plenty of mayo, seasonings, celery, maybe a little onion, tuna is actually quite tasty.

Amazon just delivered our copy of The Plague by Camus--one of its most ordered books these days. A little light reading to fill the afternoon.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 12:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yes, bacon and eggs have been a staple in my household since the start of our limited contact joy ride. I went to Costco early last week for a meat run, and I've never seen it so crowded. Today I went to get gas, $1.89 per gallon BTW, and the gas lines were so short, I just drove up to an open pump. Being infused with confidence due to the easy fuel up, I became bold enough to park near the warehouse to get more essentials. I then turned the corner and ran smack into the long line of people waiting to get in to the store. Nope, not today. I'll likely go very early next time.

The Plague by Camus? Yes, light reading indeed!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 12:42

BF:

Quote:
Amazon just delivered our copy of The Plague by Camus--one of its most ordered books these days. A little light reading to fill the afternoon.

Been years since I've read that! I had the video Contagion on hold at the library but they shut down before I could pick it up. So have to depend on the books on my shelves now - fortunately plenty of choice. For a "ripped from the headlines" book nothing beats Earth Abides - published in 1949.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 14:36

BF:

Quote:
Hmmm, not for me I don't think! I've never read it but back in HS Camus' "The Stranger" was one of the novels we had to read in English class. It depressed me so badly I felt seriously suicidal for months afterwards.

I am a voracious reader but I just want light and cheerful stuff right now.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 14:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
For a "ripped from the headlines" book nothing beats Earth Abides - published in 1949.
Hmm, I probably read that 50+ years ago so my brain is totally fuzzy about anything related to it.

But on a sort of funny note. I also read "The Stand" by Stephen King many years back. Apparently King posted somewhere recently, Twitter maybe, "Relax everyone. This is not 'The Stand' we are facing right now." To which some internet stranger replied: "How do you know? Have you ever even read it?"
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 19:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Another depressing statistic since, despite 14 years of low carbing (though stalled for 11 of those years) I still have a BMI over 40 and have been unable to shake it! I seem to be making a little progress since going Carnivore a little while ago. I hope it continues. 13 more pounds to get below the magic BMI 40 number. But I've flirted with that before and never been able to maintain that weight loss. My body seems to just adore that 270-280 range and constantly jumps up and remains there as soon as I relax my guard in the slightest.

Im betting, too, that LC is more important than actual weight. Fingers crossed.

--------
Hannafords offers a senior discount on Tuesdays, all day. Its packed. Enough for me to switch to Wednedsdays.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-20, 01:47

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

In England we have Plague Stones. From The Plague aka The Black Death in the Middle Ages. This is where, when villages went into isolation, food and goods and money being traded were left and people from the village or outsiders went to collect - no social contact.

There is one in the next village, a half mile down the dead-end lane that leads to the church, and one in my nearest town, not too far from the health centre.

I also live not far from a genuine Neolithic Stone Circle. I wonder if going there and cavorting about to celebrate the Spring Equinox would help? 😁
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-20, 06:10

BF:

Quote:
Hmmm, not for me I don't think! I've never read it but back in HS Camus' "The Stranger" was one of the novels we had to read in English class. It depressed me so badly I felt seriously suicidal for months afterwards.

I am a voracious reader but I just want light and cheerful stuff right now.

My first reading of On the Beach affected me that way. It took a few years to get brave enough to read it again, & it was well worth it. Movies tho - I need those to be much lighter, or at least have happy endings. I saw in the paper the other day that it was Alan Tudyk's birthday & realized it's been a while since I last watched A Knight's Tale - time to see it again. And I certainly have time on my hands!
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-20, 06:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
I also live not far from a genuine Neolithic Stone Circle. I wonder if going there and cavorting about to celebrate the Spring Equinox would help? 😁
I'd love to join you for this! Maybe I'll try a bit of backyard cavorting right where I am.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-20, 18:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
But on a sort of funny note. I also read "The Stand" by Stephen King many years back. Apparently King posted somewhere recently, Twitter maybe, "Relax everyone. This is not 'The Stand' we are facing right now." To which some internet stranger replied: "How do you know? Have you ever even read it?"

At least we're not dealing with the virus in King's Dreamcatcher
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-20, 14:23

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:

That's great, "Have you ever read it?" LOL I read that book too, loved it. Seems like it was made into a TV miniseries as well.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 04:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_Swan
That's great, "Have you ever read it?" LOL I read that book too, loved it. Seems like it was made into a TV miniseries as well.

It was, though most people found it disappointing. It was a giant book and is even more giant now, since e-publishing let him issue it as originally written, like a director's cut. And so it's about 1/3 longer.

However, in this age of mini-series which can stretch to a whole season, or more, it is a very good prospect to be redone now. I would definitely watch that
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 05:39

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:

I've always been fascinated by infectious diseases and have a huge collection of books on the Black Plague and other pandemics. Over the weekend I re-read "Flu" by Gina Kolata about the 1918 strain. Scary stuff. Up to 100 million people died from that worldwide (half a million people in the US, including my great uncle). I'm now re-reading a book called "Man and Microbes," a history of pandemics from the beginnings of civilization to the present (or 1990, which is when it was written). The next book to re-read will be "The Coming Plague," which is along the same lines.

Funny story. I was in the local book store once long ago and somehow got talking to the owner about the Black Plague. Since I have so many books on it, I mentioned that I had the largest collection of books on the Black Plague in Maine. Her eyes got really big and she said, "We had the Black Plague here in Maine?"