Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 13:30

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a few days now. Just seeing whats going on and if I can learn anything, I can and I did

I had a tubal reversal 7 weeks ago and I went off my pill Sunday. Lets just say, I was a bit nervouse today when the thought popped into my head that I was having unprotected sex Old habits die hard, I spend many years strying to stay not pregnant, its hard to change the thought patterns.

I to am intrested to know if we need to supplament the child when its beeng breest fed. My Dr years ago when my now 7 yr old was born thought she needed a vitamin supplament. She was skinny, I breest fed her till she was 7 months old. She didn't gain weight to look "normal" till she was 2.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 14:09

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildeone
I understand these things need supplementing but what about breast feeding - is extra needed for the baby if you manage to breast feed? Or is it enough to supplement the mother?

I know vitamin D supplementation is often recommended for babies who are breastfed, but I would assume that is based on the assumption that the mother has insufficient vitamin D (since the majority of Americans do). Personally, I would supplement myself with DHA, and I would supplement my baby with additional vitamin D even if I were taking plenty of vit D myself.
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 15:09
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildeone
You sound like a wonderful mother Jilly, doing what YOU feel and have researched to be right for YOUR child - and that is all us mummies can do - Our best at the time with the knowledge available to us at the time! xxx

I understand these things need supplementing but what about breast feeding - is extra needed for the baby if you manage to breast feed? Or is it enough to supplement the mother?

The baby definitely needs supplementing if breast fed. There will not be enough vitamin D in breast milk to supply the baby unless the mother's vitamin D level is at least 60 ng/mL.
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 16:17

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Wish I had know about d3 a long time ago. I have a 12 year old that is obese and has signs of depression. bi polar runs in my ex husband's family. I've gotten them some d3 gummies to make it more fun to take.

Do breast fed babies need the dha too?
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 16:44
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Wish I had know about d3 a long time ago. I have a 12 year old that is obese and has signs of depression. bi polar runs in my ex husband's family. I've gotten them some d3 gummies to make it more fun to take.

Yes, babies need dha, too. Again how much they get in breast milk depends on the status of the mother.
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 19:36

BF:

Quote:

I was taking DHA supplements while I was pregnant and still take them now since I planned to be breastfeeding. The jury is still out as to exactly how much DHA infants need, so most people do not supplement the infants directly and just rely on them getting it in the breastmilk (or formula - all major formulas are now fortified with DHA). Are you taking a DHA supplement (some prenatals include DHA now, but most do not)? If so, I would just be sure to continue them while breastfeeding.
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 04:40

BF:

Yes I do take DHA I can tell a big difference if I don't take it for a couple of days if I run out. I'm not going to worry about that one since I take a big dose of it myself.
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 06:39

BF:

Quote:
I'd rather "give up carb" than have to stick needles in myself!!!

AMEN!

iI'm a prediabetic, I don't want to have to use needles and drugs. If we eat properly most of us wouldn't have to.
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 10:07

BF:

I actually managed to get gestational diabetes is the sad thing!! So, I'm poking my fingers every stinking day!! It will give me motivation to eat right after my baby gets here that's for sure. Hate having bruised fingers!!
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 15:06

BF:

Hey Ladies, I'm a bit excited today I'm ovulating today, I'm kind of weird, I can tell without a test. Bf is a happy man today he came home from work to help me out

I'm not trying to think about it to much, we don't want to be to upset and anxious if I get my TOM in a few weeks. The dr is concerned with a tubal pregnancy since I had a tubal reversal but I have high hopes that all will go well.

With my last 2 children (out of 3) they let me go 2.5 weeks past due date then I was induced. I can't emagine unless theres something wrong why they would want to induce early. I'm hoping my 4th child will be a bit more willing to come out and see the world and they wont have to induce this time. Crossing fingers that I get pregnant first.

You ladies are doing great, eating right, staying healthy and getting so close to having your baby!!
  #131   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 10:55

BF:

Have fun and good luck!!
  #132   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 11:19

BF:

Well it seems that my blood pressure is going up. Of course on the weekend. I was told I could take an extra half a pill when it goes above 130/90. I did that at 1pm yesterday afternoon. (I get wicked headaches when that happens) Then another half a pill at 1am. Then I got up way later than usual and my bp was 157-100!!! I took my regular dose and now its back to normal. Feel like I'm just waiting to have it go up again!!!! UGH!! I had a hiddeous time with my fist with the toxemia!! They induced me made me lay on my left side till it was time to push. Put a stinking catheter in me. (I told my hubby I WILL NOT allow that again) I did get to hold her for a few minutes after she was born then they didn't let me have her for almost 24 hours after that!!
Thanks for letting me rant. I'm really freaked out. Yeah I know not gonna help with the bp.
  #133   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 15:51

BF:

Well had my 37 week appointment today. The DOC stripped my membranes without asking or telling me!!!

Hubby and I went to the store came home and I was bleeding!!! Not just a little cervical exam type but a lot. Called and the receptionist told me what she probably did. UUGGG I'm irritated.
  #134   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 16:37

BF:

Quote:
The DOC stripped my membranes without asking or telling me!!!

Wow - how invasive! I would be super duper pissed off if my doc did that!
  #135   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Well had my 37 week appointment today. The DOC stripped my membranes without asking or telling me!!!

Hubby and I went to the store came home and I was bleeding!!! Not just a little cervical exam type but a lot. Called and the receptionist told me what she probably did. UUGGG I'm irritated.

Well, I wish my midwife stripped my membranes at my appointment yesterday, but I would be so mad if they didn't ask me first.