Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 07:20

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melberry
They haven't tested pregnant women's urine for years in Australia. I had my first child in 2004 and at that stage most doctors didn't do it. It seems to be more common in the US.

Again, they don't really do it here. The ketones test just is included on the most popular testing strips which also test things they ARE looking for, like protein and sugar in the urine. Doctors aren't really interested in whether a woman has ketones or not.

Janine
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 07:22

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Sorry, I meant that they don't even test for protein and sugar in urine here either! We don't have urine tests usually!
  #123   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 07:34

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melberry
Sorry, I meant that they don't even test for protein and sugar in urine here either! We don't have urine tests usually!

That is sensible! I think I read about that when I was pregnant, that Australia had phased them out or never used them. Most homebirth midwives here think it's silly and some doctors. The doctors here need to prove to the insurance companies that they've done something, which makes testing attractive.
  #124   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: pregnancy modified
Stats: 250/250/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
The doctors here need to prove to the insurance companies that they've done something, which makes testing attractive.

now that i actually believe. wouldn't it be great if at OB appointments you got a quick back massage instead of taking a urine sample they could still tell insurance companies they did something, and im pretty sure the moms would love it too.
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 13:14

Plan: ANDR
Stats: 210/196/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

This thread was an excellent read! All of you have a wonderful amount of knowledge.
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 23:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

thanks for bumping this thread, I actually re-read most of it and I have one thing to add: Low carbing Lactating Ladies (LLL) please taste your milk! Yes, it is sweet. You might not be eating carbs but you are definitely producing carbs. How much, and if formula or high carbing moms' milk has more carbs, and if that is better or worse are to be studied. Another question is if babies produce and survive on ketons, I am sure they do, its natural, no?

Last edited by sondacop : Thu, Sep-24-09 at 23:24.
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 05:32

BF:
Progress:

I used to belong to this forum a few years ago--I actually came back to read up on the issue of LC while lactating. I am nursing a 6 month old right now.

My old account didn't work, so here I am

I absolutely MUST get back to LC. I feel rotten. I just wasn't sure if it was safe or not.

I have to go shopping this weekend, and plan to start on DANDR on Monday. I can't wait!
  #128   ^
Old Sun, Oct-25-09, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

hem, how have you been? Any thoughts on you expirience of LC and BF?
  #129   ^
Old Sun, Oct-25-09, 11:58

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 218/159.2/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hello ladies. I've been low carb since 1 week postpartum and have no problems. My baby is thriving, not under not over weight, VERY smart, and my supply has never been compromised. Its probably because calorie intake is still high, not like a low calorie diet. I talked to my dr about the diet & he said it was fine, just don't go crazy. I eat a little more carbs then I normally would without nursing...advantage? Hell ya!
  #130   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 05:43

BF:
Progress:

I have been going about a month, and things are going well. Baby seems great, I feel great, and milk supply is plenty. I do monitor my milk. Earlier on my milk did show positive for ketones. I made sure to up my water and if I drink enough water I don't have this problem.

I have a large baby (she was 9#4oz at birth, and at seven months she is about 20#.

I am down 10 and feel so much better!
  #131   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 06:09

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:

During a high risk pregnancy (multiples), I saw a nutritionist regularly who called fruits "sweets," and insisted that proteins were the most important things. She constantly said, "You need protein to build protein." The baby does come first, you second. Grains really have almost no nutrition, and are filling, so they're not a good choice for a pregnant mom. Sugar never is a good choice. Meat, as much as you can eat (though during pregnancy that can be very difficult).

About extended breastfeeding, I did it. Not always in private either. I never even got a second glance, though it got annoying when they'd come up, pull up my shirt for a minute, then run along. My husband called it "pulling a driveby."
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 09:09

BF:

I'm stopping ~ 1 year, but I am already dreading it, I love nursing. I wish I would have kept a better diet, like a form of what I'm doing now, while pregnant, but it was my first so I got a freebie. Next one is a different story.

Addison isn't sleeping the long stretches as she was before. I told my husband I'd rather have another baby here quickly so I don't get used to sleeping again and then BAM!
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 10:42

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:

I didn't have the heart to wean my kids; they wouldn't understand why their favorite source of food and comfort had gone away. I still got pregnant when my twins were 6 months old, though; I think that is unusual.
  #134   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 13:48

BF:

there are many factors that have to be exact for one not to get pregnant while nursing.
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-09, 05:52

BF:
Progress:

...and I hope none of those factors align for me!!! Ever again.

I am done being pregnant.