Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 15:46
You HAVE to WANT it!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 173.4/166.6/129 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 15%

Nope, DH does.. I wish I did. I think Scotty does though, doesn't he?
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 16:22

Plan: LC
Stats: 317/283/250 Male 77 inches
BF:Around Middle
Progress: 51%

I will be working, but will be in Lincoln W-F
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 04:39
Registered Member

Plan: Nearly Zero Carb
Stats: 150/140/140 Female 65"
BF:19%
Progress: 100%

Do all of you live in Lincoln? I thought I saw someone was also here in the Omaha area?

Cats, I would definitely eat a large breakfast and skip the snack. Here's why: every time you eat anything, whether it has carbs or not, you secret that insulin I was telling you about. Once insulin is secreted, you stop burning fatty acids for energy. The goal is to burn fatty acids for as many number of hours a day as you can. That's what lets your body know it's okay to shed weight - that it doesn't need the fat stores. In an insulin resistant person, every time your insulin is secreted, it could set you back anywhere from 1 hr. to 3 hrs. So, if you eat every 3 hours, you might only be in fatty acid mode for 1 hour between each time you eat. The fewer times you eat, the more hours fatty acids are streaming through your veins, reducing fat stores.

So, you see, you should absolutely stuff yourself at each meal - as long as you are low carb. Remember not to up the veggies or carb containing elements of your meal though - only the fatty meat - and really mostly up the fat. So, eat more for breakfast! And if the steak didn't fill you up enough, be sure the salad is small, like Dr. Atkins says, but be sure there is a nice rim of fat around the steak, eat it all, and add butter or extra fat if you like. I actually get free fat from my butcher and make extra along with my steaks. They cut off too much of it and it lowers the fat ratio too much, which leaves me HUNGRY. I cut a piece of fat and eat it with each bite of steak. Voila, full for 6 hours, no problema!!

Well, I'm off to the gym. Gotta get some warm coffee though. It's freezing out there!! Ugh.

Later all!
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 08:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Hi Everyone!
Thank you for the info CB. What book or site have you gotten your information from. I was thinking even Atkins said to eat often, to keep from getting hungry. I seem to have lost my Diet Revolution book and only have Atkins for Life, which doesn't go over Induction, just talks about maintaining for life. The Atkins site isn't as good as I remember it being 5 years ago either.
This a.m. I had 3 strips of bacon & 3 eggs - but I'm already a bit hungry. Will try and wait longer, then can maybe take lunch early and eat alot then. I have absolutely never heard of the trying to wait several hours between meals before. Makes sense though. I have ground beef & ground sausage browned together (with all grease left on) for lunch. Will sprinkle some cheese on that & heat.
Do drinks like coffee & tea also cause insulin release? I'm about to go get a cup of coffee for break.
I DID loose a little last week! I'm almost back to where I thought I was to begin with.
I think Scotty is in Omaha, and I'm not sure where Kiki lives. I live in Geneva (an hour from Lnc). My kids live in Lnc and SO lives near Omaha, so I'm in the Lnc/Omaha area nearly every weekend. Would love to move there, but it's impossible to make a job change at my age. I've forgotten where you live CB. (?)
Well, off to read some other threads.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 08:59
You HAVE to WANT it!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 173.4/166.6/129 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 15%

CB - I used to live in Bellevue until a couple of years ago, I know live almost in Gretna, but still in the area.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 09:02

CB, I'm printing the article you mentioned earlier now. Maybe it will also help. I hesitate to get the book you mentioned by Gary Taubes because I get bogged down in the technical stuff. I want them to get right to the point of what to do - not all the scientific stuff. Anyhow, thanks.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 11:16

Plan: LC
Stats: 317/283/250 Male 77 inches
BF:Around Middle
Progress: 51%

I still live in the Bellevue area, just a bit south.
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 14:07

CB, I read the posts concerning the book Good Calories, Bad Calories,that you have mentioned. I gather that he doesn't insist on exercise as part of the program? Does the book spell out exactly what you can eat and what not to eat? (I know, just buy the book - but I just HATE the idea of buying another diet book or actually book of any kind because I literally have a room full now).
Are any drinks (other than water) permisable between meals?
I had about 1/4 lb sausage and 1/3 lb lean ground beef mixed together with some cheddar cheese on top and 2 boiled eggs for lunch. Oh, I also had a dexi-trim max at 11:00 because I was starving. So I held out until noon that way. Now I'm still full, but just craving a pleasant taste (like diet coke). Maybe I'll need to bring my toothbrush to work. Lunch seems to have left that 'fatty meat' after taste in my mouth and I find I'm wanting something just to be rid of that.
Thanks for any suggestions.
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 05:22
Registered Member

Hello--

I'm not headed to the gym today as it's my "off day", so I'm going to scrapbook this morning. Thought I'd check in first.

GCBC is NOT a diet book. It's simply a scientific run down of why we really don't need carbs - at all really. Also, it shows why fiber is a myth, why salt isn't an issue, why cholesterol has nothing to do with heart/arterial disease, why vegetables are not meant to be eaten by carnivores (us) and why saturated fat is the only fat that's good for us. What to eat is really simple: fatty meat and as few carbs as you possibly can. If you feel you just can't believe it and must have some sort of veggies, than keep it VERY simple and limit it to 1-2 cups per day - iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, sprouts, mushrooms. The best types of meat to eat are: chicken thighs WITH the skin, ribeyes, chuck roasts and steaks, pork butt roasts (pulled pork), salmon (but add butter!), and basically the meat that is the cheapest and the fattiest. Seafood occassionally if you want to, but scallops, shrimp, lobster etc... all have trace carbs. I scour the meat isles looking for the meat with the most white on it!! You see - if you're eating mostly meat and less than 10 or so carbs per day, you can eat ALL the fatty meat you can shove in and you WILL lose weight. You could also have butter, a little cheese, pork rinds, eggs, mayo (if you must, but I have read awful things about soy, so I refuse it)....... Hmmmm can't think of anything else right now.

Cats, I do understand the "fatty meat" taste in your mouth thing. Take your toothbrush or some listerine. The Listerine is actually less likely to cause you cravings, if you can believe it. Do NOT chew gum. It gives me cravings almost straight away!

I don't know what a Dexa-Trim Max is, but you really should lose it. It sounds like a security blanket. If you are getting hungry between meals, eat more at your meals. Believe it or not, it's really that simple. You should NEVER feel hungry. If you're hungry, eat meat. If the thought of meat turns your stomach, you are eating too many carbs and your insulin is up/blood sugar is down. Fight through it or you will never break your body's reliance on carbs. Drink water and unsweetened tea (or as lightly sweetened as you can tolerate, start reducing how much you put in until you can go unsweetened!)

Believe me, I know. I broke my addiction and it wasn't pretty. I was weepy and complainy and kept saying "my body must NEED something" or I wouldn't be craving these things. Not true at all. Your body thinks it needs fuel, but you can probably look down at your thighs or your stomach and you know darn well, there's plenty of fuel there!! Why isn't my body tapping into that fuel? BECAUSE there in insulin coursing through your veins. Your body will NOT release that stored fat until it is cleared of the insulin and your blood sugar is stabilized!! It is your goal to stabilize it and NOT let your pancreas secret insulin!! You CAN do this WITHOUT being hungry!!

I wouldn't buy another diet book either, but if you feel most comfortable following some plan or other - follow Atkins induction to the letter. My only disagreement with him is in the area of coffee. Go easy on the coffee - it is NOT the caffeine that's the issue, it's the coffee oil itself and that is found in all coffee except instant.

Okay, I know I'm becoming evangelical, so I'll stop now. I know being so preachy is a bad thing. I just get so excited about all the science involved in this. Once again, I know that sounds freakish too, but it is so obvious once you understand it, and even doctors and scientists don't refute the science, but yet the public is still pushed to "eat the pyramid", which is killing us and creating a world of food addicts. It downright pisses me off.

Eat to live, don't live to eat!!
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 07:32

CB, I don't feel that you are being "preachy" at all! I am MOST appreciative of your advice and support. I made it through yesterday on 3 meals, nothing in between and no gum. Last night was hard, because I'm so used to the "stop when you're satisfied, not when you are FULL" teaching. I was satisfied with a salad of lettuce & tuna w/ ranch, but knew that wouldn't hold me all night. So I added 1 Italian sausage fried in left over bacon grease and a few mushrooms sauteed in butter. But I also had 2 mugs (4 cups) amaretto flavored decaf coffee. I had it because I know it helps me have a "full" feeling.
This morning I added another strip of bacon, so now I'm at 4 bacon strips and 3 eggs for breakfast. I'll see if that holds me until noon.
Dexi-trim is the only appetite suppressant pill that has ever worked for me. I know I need to do without it, but I REALLY wanted to try for the no snacks between meals and I am a real "grazer". I'm especially a grazer because of prior diet training that it's best to eat a little every 2-3 hours. Ugh! I wish these doctors and scientists could get their research and conclusions together and agree. Of course I understand what a economic factor the whole diet industry and low-fat foods idustry is, so from that view it's best to keep everybody fat and searching for an answer. (I'm generally not a sarcastic person, but like CB, it really mades me mad the lies we are told.)
Okay - what about flavored instant decaf coffee? Would it be okay? And since fat it good, why is coffee oil bad?
My knees have been hurting, so I haven't been able to get myself to exercise this week. I know I need to add it in again, but for now, I'm going to really work on this food thing, and not beat myself up too much about the exercise part.
They say we're supposed to see the sun today! I sure hope so. That always helps my overall disposition and aches & pains.
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 13:48

Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

Hey Pit: Is it COLD in your neck of the woods? It is 67 degrees up here on 2nd floor !!!!!!!!!!

My hands and nose are like ice blocks !
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 15:12

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 307/287/250 Male 6'5"
BF:too much
Progress: 35%

Yup, I'm used to it. The bad part is that I have enough 'layers' -- I'm wishing I was thin enough to feel more cold It's been like that here for months!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerchic
Hey Pit: Is it COLD in your neck of the woods? It is 67 degrees up here on 2nd floor !!!!!!!!!!

My hands and nose are like ice blocks !
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 04:44
Registered Member

Good morning all!

Good job with upping your fatty meat intake Cats! It will make a difference in your hunger. Saturated fat is good, vegetable oils aren't. Coffee is a bean. I honestly don't know why coffee oils have an effect on blood sugar/insulin. It just doesn't make sense to me either. In fact I am fighting giving up my coffee as well. But, I simply can't deny that when I drink a cup in the morning, I get hungry sooner than if I don't. Some mornings I just take a caffeine pill and I can go much longer without getting hungry than on the days where I drink a cup. Flavored instant decaf certainly has artificial sweeteners and you really want to try to break that sweet tooth..... I know........ I know........

Keep trying really hard to reduce the times you eat in a day. Every time you eat, your insulin goes up and fat reducing stops dead. Listen to your body..... it will tell you what you're doing wrong. If you get hungry less than 5 or 6 hours between meals, you didn't eat enough or you ate something you shouldn't have at some point.

Exercise - like I said and like you're doing - don't worry about it until you feel physically ready to do it - or not. It's not a must. Once you get control of your hunger, trust me, you will WANT to move more. Your energy will increase tenfold and your body will be more agile and nothing will hurt. Hard to believe, but it's absolutely true.

Let me know what you eat today and how you feel throughout the day. That is such an important step. Listen to your body! Eat when you're hungry, but eat fatty meat.
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 08:00

Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

PIT:............I don't know how you can stand it....the only "up" side to it being cold is that it keeps me awake !
  #135   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 08:10

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 307/287/250 Male 6'5"
BF:too much
Progress: 35%

It's not so bad today. I have on an undershirt and a long-sleeve button down. I'm comfy.

I made my first low-carb chicken noodle soup last night. Tastes pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerchic
PIT:............I don't know how you can stand it....the only "up" side to it being cold is that it keeps me awake !