Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#121   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 07:31
Registered Member

Plan: Low Crap
Stats: 225/204.5/170 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethr
Has anyone considered any plastic surgery? I'm considering a little if I make my goal. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah...I have thought about getting liposuction after I lose weight. Just a little off the sides. I want a more defined waistline. I am way too afraid to go through with it.

Also, I know that after children a breast reduction and lift will be in order.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 10:03

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethr
Oh yikes Black57, that food sounds so good. I love cauliflower and cheese. I don't think I could live without that one. That's one of my main staples in my diet.

No I didn't know that about Red Wine, I just get so tipsy when I drink anything so I don't. I don't do well on medications either. Any little thing sets me on the weird end of things.

Everybody hang in there, pretty soon we will have to fight for our lives with the holiday seasons coming full force in the fall.

Take care all. Update pic. Might change back, don't know yet.

Holly, just started Fitday account. That site is great, thanks. I can really keep up with my carbs.

You know what? I used to could drink easily without feeling a buzz, as long as I had something to eat but that ain't workin' now. I will get a buzz even after I had eaten. LC definitely has something to do with that.
  #123   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 12:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/175/150 Female 5ft5in.
BF:
Progress: 77%

Mick, I would probably try the Carb Countdown milk from Hood. Unless your lactose intolerant or something. Yes I too try and avoid those processed foods some, but I do like the tortillas for my tacos. I'll wait until I reach the Lifetime Maintenace stage before I go back to those foods again.

However I did see a Ben & Jerry's icecream commercial yesterday for low carb icecream. Oh, Oh!

Mick, I'm thinking about the Breast Lift myself. There is a African-American woman who does it here in Michigan and she's supposed to be good. I think I would feel more comfortable with her than a man. My breast seem to have fell an additional 8 inches since I've lost weight. I need help in that area.

I probably won't get anything else done, but I can't seem to get rid of the cellulite off of the back of my thighs. Will I ever be able to wear a pair of mid length shorts? I'm not trying to wear daisy dukes or anything, but I'm not trying to wear knickers either!

God Bless Everyone!
  #124   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 15:15

Stats: 220/220/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey Ladies...

I'm luvin' the convo here. SoonSlim - what's good gurl? I'm glad u fell a lil' better about the gain - ur due for a nice woosh when it's all said and done.

Plastic surgery...I day dream about a tummy tuck & breast lift. I've always hated my belly. I have that extra fat on my lower abs (a pooch?). No hip huggers for me!! All of these real life plastic surgery shows like Dr. 90210 (on VH1 I think) and the drama Nip Tuck - make me stop and think about surgery but honestly I don't have the dough for it.I'll have to get there with y'all, my LC WOL and a lotta exercise. However.... if I bag of money fell in my lap....
  #125   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 15:32

BF:

I would consider a tummy tuck or liposuction and I need somethin' done with these boobs. They don't need to be bigger they just need some lifting or support or somethin'. They lie perfectly flat when I lie down. But if I could get rid of this gut, my body would be da bomb
  #126   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 15:56

Stats: 220/220/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Default Hey since we're on the subject of boobs...

A poem for all y'all...

Boobs

For years and years they told me,

Be careful of your breasts.

Don't ever squeeze or bruise them.

And give them monthly tests.

So I heeded all their warnings,

And protected them by law.

Guarded them very carefully,

And I always wore my bra.

After 30 years of astute care,

My gyno, Dr. Pruitt,

Said I should get a Mammogram

"O.K," I said, "let's do it."

"Stand up here real close" she said,

(She got my boob in line),

"And tell me when it hurts," she said,

"Ah yes! Right there, that's fine."

She stepped upon a pedal,

I could not believe my eyes!

A plastic plate came slamming down,

My hooter's in a vise!

My skin was stretched and mangled,

From underneath my chin.

My poor boob was being squashed,

To Swedish Pancake thin.

Excruciating pain I felt,

Within it's vise-like grip.

A prisoner in this vicious thing,

My poor defenseless tit!

"Take a deep breath" she said to me,

Who does she think she's kidding?!?

My chest is mashed in her machine,

And woozy I am getting.

"There, that's good," I heard her say,

(The room was slowly swaying.)

"Now, let's have a go at the other one."

Have mercy, I was praying.

It squeezed me from both up and down,

It squeezed me from both sides.

I'll bet SHE'S never had this done,

To HER tender little hide.

Next time that they make me do this,

I will request a blindfold.

I have no wish to see again,

My knockers getting steam rolled.

If I had no problem when I came in,

I surely have one now.

If there had been a cyst in there,

It would have gone "ker-pow!"

This machine was created by a man,

Of this, I have no doubt.

I'd like to stick his balls in there,

And see how THEY come out!

#127   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 16:15
Registered Member

BF:

That poem is too cute.
  #128   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 16:39

BF:

Oh I loved that poem. I am gonna read it to my husband!
  #129   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 17:16

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

very cute poem, and very true what a contraption
  #130   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 19:57

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default missed y'all!

Hello Ladies!

It's been a while, I've been mad busy and haven't been able to check in till now. Welcome all new members! I've been real good these past 2 weeks, I really don't think I'll ever go above induction levels of carbs. I like eating simple. The peppered porkchop with buttered spinach and a couple slices of avocado I had for dinner filled me right up. And I'm still not tired of omlettes for breakfast. They can keep the LC bread, pasta, and ice cream. They stall me and make me gain, so forget it. I've eaten enough of my share to last a lifetime! Besides I can't afford 'em. Rather put the money in my (trip to) Jamaica jar.

I think TOM is approaching (it gets a bit unpredictable) 'cause even though I've been exercising daily and eating good, my belly feels huge. It would be nice to have had a whoosh before the Caribana parade this Saturday. Maybe I can dance a few pounds off!

I've stated before that I don't care about the weight stats because they really don't reflect my body's visual change. I've gained weight but lost inches, not a whole bunch, but a few. Which is all fine and good, but a bit confusing when it comes to the Atkins phases. How do I know when to move up a phase when I'm actually gaining? I really don't know what my goal weight should REALLY be, since I'm 'big-boned' with a sturdy frame, so I can't calculate when I need to move onto OWL. Again, I feel comfortable staying at induction levels, I don't feel hungry and have great energy. But am I doing something wrong? When will my body get the message? Or is this it for me? I can feel the muscles underneath the fat, and they're getting bigger especially now that I walk and ride my bike every where. I'll keep doing what I'm doing, 'cause it's good for me, and I guess only time will tell...

One other thing...anyone feel that they look better naked than clothed? I swear my body looks damn good naked, but if I put on some clothes all I can see is my too big belly....
  #131   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 20:20

Plan: My Own Thang....
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Default hey

still here nasira. tired. school and all. TOM is still here w/ its 3 lbs. just finished cardio. bout to go study. lata
jodi
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 21:17

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default how Luther lost...

This was posted in the LC Research/Media forum, thought it would receive some attention here....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Down...ss_feature.html

A Whole New Luther
R&B Powerhouse Powerless Over Food

June 25 — Though Luther Vandross is best known for his Grammy-winning R&B hits, he says his career is not his crowning achievement.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
A Cruel Cycle Reaching His Target Weight

"I am more proud of my weight loss," says Vandross, who is also well known for his lifelong, public struggle with his weight. "I'm most proud of my health improvement."
Vandross — who has lost more than 100 pounds 13 other times — says he's finally figured out the secret to losing 100 pounds and keeping it off.

"I've never been more healthy than I am now," he says. "I wish I was this healthy when I was 25."

A Cruel Cycle

Vandross began his career as a backup singer in the '70s. One of his early jobs was singing on a David Bowie album. It was actually Bowie who encouraged Vandross to go solo.

Vandross' career took off in 1981 when his first album, Never Too Much, went platinum. Twelve more platinum albums followed, but though he enjoyed success after success in his professional life, he was beset by personal struggles with his weight — the cruel cycle of gaining and losing 100 pounds dominated his life.

"It's the most awful, dark feeling in the world," he says of the times when he put back on 100 pounds. "It feels like you're wearing an 80-pound hat and a coat that weighs 300 pounds … You feel like it's always dark and gloomy."

While many people struggle with significant weight fluctuations, Vandross' yo-yo relationship with food was displayed before millions of fans.

"It makes it very hard," he says. "You wear it externally so the minute you walk through the door, everybody knows 'Luther's not winning his battle with his demon.'"

In 1998, Vandross weighed 340 pounds. He also had high blood pressure and diabetes, a problem that has plagued his whole family. He calls his relationship with food an addiction: "The food had its clutches on me strong enough that it sort of demanded that I ignore reason."

Reaching His Target Weight

In his recent dieting success, Vandross says he has discovered the secret to weight loss. Using a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet, he shed 120 pounds. "I deleted carbohydrates, I deleted starches … no bread, no rice, no pasta, no potatoes," he explains.

Breakfast, for example, is usually Egg Beaters or a turkey burger. "A turkey burger with the right seasonings, with sage and all of that stuff, really tastes like sausage," he says. And dinner, he says, consists of "vegetables, fish, chicken and fruit — that's it."

Asked if now that he's reached his target weight he can incorporate bread or pasta into his diet, he responds, "An alcoholic can't have half a martini, and you know, I can't have bread. This experience has taught me this."

Though Vandross has stayed trim for nearly three years now, it can still be a struggle for him to stick to his diet. Just weeks ago, he suffered food poisoning and decided to settle his stomach with some carbs. "I ordered a bagel that morning," he says. "Do you know that by the end of that day I had eaten five bagels … That's how much of a drug carbohydrate serves to be with me."

Storing the Carbs

Adele Puhn, a clinical nutritionist who was written extensively about high-protein diets, says of Vandross: "His body does not function the way it was meant to function. He's storing fat every time he's eating a healthy piece of bread."

Puhn believes there are many people like Vandross whose bodies do not process carbohydrates the way they should.

Other health experts and dietitians, however, believe such high-protein diets are unhealthy. Limiting the intake of carbohydrates to such a dramatically low level starves the body of needed nutrients and causes an artificial metabolic state, according to some nutritionists.

Along with his diet, Vandross is working out three or four times a week, often with his band members. Now, at 6 feet 3 inches and 220 pounds, Vandross has gone from a 52-inch waist to a 34.

"I feel like the best part of my life is about to happen," says Vandross, who has come out with a new CD after a three-year hiatus. "I can't have sugar and I can't have carbohydrates … but I can sing the mess out of a ballad."
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 09:21

BF:

I truly believe that they are just refusing to see the truth. High carb diets are the root of obesity. I am so happy to read this about Luther. I hope that he appears on Oprah soon. I have an newspaper clipping stating that obesity grew after the introduction of a lowfat products. Lowfat also means high carb.
  #134   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 09:24

Plan: My Own
Stats: 190/190/165 Female 62
BF:TOO MUCH
Talking

Hi Ladies!!

How are you today?? Hopefully all is well in your world. Mine is good I have been working out daily with off days on Sun and Wed. Lately I've been exhausted though.

Well just wanted to check in and say hello!!

I hope you are all doing well.
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 10:23
Registered Member

BF:

I *heard* that Luther wasn't eating carbs at all. I am not sure of the validity of that.
Closed Thread