Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 19:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Sat. was day off -- made grandaughter's 1st birthday cake, went grocery shopping, etc.

Sunday was birthday party -- did workout after we got home. 20 min. pool jogging (it was SO HUMID -- seemed hard to breathe because of the heat and humidity, so only lasted 20 min.). But I did 10 min., then reversed direction and went against the current I had created. Was that ever strange! Felt like I was moving in slow motion -- it takes a lot to move against that current. Went another 5 min., then the current was moving with me again, so I reversed again -- was a pretty good workout. Then did 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches, and another 5 min. workout in the pool, for a total of 30 min.

Went in the house and did an old-fashioned workout -- cleaned house! Vaccumed, dusted, scrubbed floors, etc. All in all, it was a pretty good day.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 10:57

BF:

Mon., 4:30 a.m.: 30 min. pool jogging (80 laps); 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches; total 40 min. It was so HUMID -- part way through my run, my glasses steamed up solid -- had to take them off.

Rest of week is supposed to be cool -- starting tomorrow I might need to switch to the treadmill. I'll brave 60 degree temps in the pool if the water's warm, but it's supposed to drop into the 50's, and that's just a bit too chilly for me!
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 11:23

BF:

Was too cold for pool this a.m., so I did treadmill. 2.4 miles, 4.0 - 4.4 mph, incine 4 - 7, 408 calories burned. Waited 1/2 hour afterward before taking a cool shower, and still an hour later I was too warm and still perspiring. Boy, do I miss that pool! I never get too hot!

Need to get back to weight training -- I've been letting it slide the past month -- been hit & miss -- only getting in 2 days per week most of the time. Tomorrow is son's last baseball game, so things should settle down then and I can get back to MWF weight routine (his games were M & W, so I tried changing weight days to STuTh, but it didn't work very well). Next week we're on vacation, so it might mean one more week after this of missing some weight training. The hotel does have a work-out room, but I don't know if I'll have either the time or energy to use it. I promised myself that I'll get back to a regular routine starting August 5!
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:20

BF:

Missed workout yesterday -- overslept!

Thur: Rainy and still cold -- did treadmill today. It was humid in the house, so I got so overheated! I started to feel sick because I was so hot! Only did 1-1/2 miles instead of the ususal 2 miles; 4.2 - 4.4 mph. incline 6 most of the time (sometimes 7).

It's supposed to clear off after tonight and warm up again, so we'll heat the pool tonight, and hopefully I can go back to pool jogging again tomorrow a.m.!

Yesterday was son's last baseball game! We're on vacation next week, but after that I can get back into a more normal routine -- I really miss the weights! Need to get back to the usual 3 x per week instead of just hit or miss. Summer is great, but it wreaks havoc on the schedule!
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 06:18

BF:

Thur. night: UBWO when I got home from work. Also did ab crunches on balance ball.

Friday: Pool jogging is back!!!! 4:30 a.m. -- did not get to see a sun rise today -- it's very foggy, but it warmed up a bit and stopped raining. 30 min. pool jogging; 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches; total 40 mins. I can really tell the difference between running in the pool and using the treadmill. After just a few days of not running in the pool, my legs were getting weaker -- had a hard time finishing! Forcast is to stay warm for the next few days, so hopefully I can keep running in the pool. I have an I.O.U. for 1 missed cardio session, and I plan to collect it tomorrow.

Really looking forward to this weekend -- want to sleep until I wake up tomorrow -- no alarm! Also want to get out into the pool for fun in the afternoon -- relax, soak up some sun, play with son (he's been at aunt's house for a few days -- I miss him!). DH and son leave Sun. a.m. for boyscout camp. They come back Tues. afternoon, and Wed. a.m. we leave for vacation!
  #111   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 11:01

BF:

Sat: day off

Sun: 30 min pool jogging; 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches; treading water, bicycle kick (holding onto noodle float), etc. -- total 45 min. exercise in pool; then 60 ab crunches on exercise ball

Mon: 30 min pool jogging; 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 10:57

BF:

Tue: 30 min pool jogging. Slept late, so no time for Tae-Bo kicks.

Last post here until Monday -- leaving for vacation tomorrow!
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 05:45

BF:

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here! While I was on vacation, most of my exercise was walking around amusement parks, malls, Navy Pier, the Packer's Hall of Fame, etc. It's been difficult trying to get back into my normal routine. I overslept 2 days this week!

Tues: 30 min. on treadmill, incline 4 - 6, 4.0 - 4.4 mph, 370 calories burned.

Thur: 30 min. pool jogging, 360 Tae-Bo kicks.

It was great to be able to pool jog again. It stays dark now the entire time I'm running -- no more sunrise or birds singing -- only a few crickets chirping -- sadly, summer is on it's way out.

Today will probably be the last time I'll be able to pool jog until next week, and even then I'm not sure how much longer the weather will hold out. Tomorrow's forcast is a bit chilly, and we're leaving to go camping tomorrow afternoon. I'll have to go hiking on Sat. and maybe Sun. a.m. -- take the dogs with me -- they'll love it, especially since it's supposed to be cooler (highs in the low to mid 70's). Might get in some tubing if it's not too cool -- the creek running through the campgrounds is great for tubing. I'm really looking forward to the campfires, conversations with our friends, and just being outdoors.
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 12:49

BF:

I am having a flare-up of (I believe) CFS. From what I have read, CFS and FM symptoms overlap quite a bit, but I get chills and then feel hot, and I have swollen lymph glands under my arms, and it seems those symptoms are more related to CFS. Started last week, not feeling sick, but not very energetic either. I also noticed the sore spots -- hurt when one of my cats or dog was on my lap, etc.

Could not sleep Sun. nite, was exhausted on Mon. I was so COLD -- chills, aches, did not feel well at all. Tues. same thing. Wed., I started feeling hot instead of cold, and it's the same today. I don't sleep well at all -- wake up over and over all night long, drenched with perspiration.

I have not been exercising because it takes everything I have to get through the day -- by the time I get home from work, I just want to lie down. I really hope this stops soon and I can get back into my exercise routine -- I miss it! But the way I feel right now, I just could not do anything.
  #115   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 12:01

BF:

Wow, can't believe it's been that long since I've posted. Been on a bit of a hiatus from a combination of things -- vacations, not feeling up to speed, etc., but now I'm back!

Decided to try the 'planned cheat' per Nat's articles to see if I can get the weight loss started again. Haven't been too concerned for a while, been just holding steady, but not I want to get the scale and tape measure moving downward again. I tried to cheat on Saturday -- I really did! I bought some stuff that I thought I had been craving lately. I could not believe how hard it was to eat it! It really did not taste good to me -- left an icky after-taste in my mouth. I really was not a pleasant experience! But, I did carb load! Weight was up 7 pounds the next day!!!! Now I need to work like a demon to deplete the stores, so here goes!!

Sunday: 35 mins. pool jogging (can't believe it was in the 90's in September in northern Wisconsin!); 360 Tae-Bo kicks in pool; 10 mins. water exercises (treading water, bicycle type pedaling while holding onto a noodle, etc.). 45 mins. upper body workout with free weights (took it easy on the rows -- back has been touchy lately and I've had a ruptured disc in the past).

Monday: 4:45 a.m. -- 35 mins. pool jogging (can't believe it was still hot!); 360 Tae-Bo kicks in pool; 5 mins. water exercises (treading water, bicycle type pedaling while holding onto a noodle, etc.).

I feel as though I am already back into ketosis -- had that awful taste in my mouth about an hour ago, so I'm hoping that I am.

I pushed the weights pretty hard, so I'm hurting today even though I took glutamine.

Food:

Sunday:

2 slices deli sliced turkey lunch meat w/mayo and avacado
1/4 cup blueberries

Salad made with romaine, leaf lettuce, spinach, bacon, tomatoes, and mayo (BLT salad)

1 oz. cheese

1 protein shake w/flax oil

12 oz. grilled ribeye steak; salad w/oil and vinegar dressing; brussels sprouts w/butter

LOTS of water!!

Monday:
2 slices deli sliced turkey lunch meat w/mayo and avacado
1/4 cup blueberries

2 oz. leftover ribeye steak; 1/2 cup raw broccoli w/dip

Sald made with romaine, leaf lettuce, spinach, leftover ribeye steak, w/oil and vinegar dressing (added flax oil to salad dressing)

Planned for dinner (it's cooking in the roaster at home while I'm here at work): Spare ribs and sauerkraut

Planned snack: protein shake

Total calories from Fitday for Monday: 2,047, 73% fat

Hope this works. I'm only planning a 'cheat day' once a month or so -- I think that once a week would be too much for me. I already tend to lose and gain and re-lose the same couple of pounds over and over for weeks before it's finally gone for good, so doing it weekly would probably send me over the edge! Wish me luck!
  #116   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 11:29

BF:

Could not get up this morning to do a.m. cardio -- will go home and do it after work today. I might be able to pool jog -- the cold front moved in this morning, but the rain's stopped now and it's supposed to be mid-70's -- if the water's warm enough, I should be able to run in it without feeling cold. If not, I'll either walk the dogs or use the treadmill.

Yesterday went o.k. for food, but it was a bit strange last night. I was so HUNGRY! Now, today, I'm back to forcing myself to eat because I'm not hungry. Hope things get back to an even keel soon.
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 11:48

BF:

Went home last night and did pool jogging -- 30 mins.; pluse 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches in pool; 5 mins. 'bicycle' peddling while holding a 'noodle'.

I was going to go to the gym at lunch, but could not find my lock! I'm sure DH knows where it is, but could not reach him (he was already at work when I discovered it was not in my gym bag. So, now when I get home, I'll need to do LBWO with free weights in addition the the pool jogging (the pool is heating while I'm at work -- it's in the 70's today). I'll go to the gym on Friday at lunch time for UBWO.

My glycogen supply was already depleted yesterday -- I only had a fraction of the energy for running in the pool that I had on Sunday and Monday. I'll check my carb count at Fiday -- might need to increase it a bit or my workouts will not be very productive!
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 11:42

BF:

Went home from work and did 30 min. pool jogging. Did not do the Tae-Bo kicks because it was LBWO day. Did LBWO after pool jogging -- pushed the weights up, and I can really feel it today! Taking glutamine -- hope it helps! Tonight plan on 30 mins of pool jogging and the Tae-Bo kicks. Tomorrow is LBWO at gym.

One of the things I want to do after the pool is shut down for the season (which, if the weather forcast is right, will probably be this Saturday -- highs in the 60's and rain) is to mix up the cardio instead of doing the same thing each time. Plan on doing treadmill, Tae-Bo, Aerobics, etc. instead of just one thing -- might confuse the old bod into giving up a couple of pounds!

Been trying to keep the calories at 10 times body weight to see if it will work this time. It really is hard -- most of the time I have to force myself to eat! Every time I've done heavy workouts and kept the calories up, I stall and don't lose any weight. So far the weight is staying the same this time. I doubt that I'm gaining the same amount of muscle as I'm losing fat -- hasn't worked that way yet, so why would it start now? I am going to stick with the plan and give it at least a month. If at the end of one month there is no change in either my weight or measurements, then I'll have to try to come up with a different plan. I will do a 'planned cheat' as Nat's thread suggested in about 1 month (I have a lot of weight to lose, so it seems like once a month would be appropriate). Keeping my fingers crossed!
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 11:33

BF:

Did pool jogging on Friday. Just went for a short walk on Sat.

Monday: 2 miles on treadmill, 4.0 - 4.5 mph, incline 4 - 6 -- treadmill seems easy after the pool jogging!

Started back at gym (been using free weights at home most of summer). Did UBWO -- used the same as when I left off end of June. I'm a little sore today, but not bad at all!

Did not do a.m. cardio -- today will be my last day of pool jogging until next year. It's going to be in the 80's today, so we're heating the pool, and I'm going home after work to pool jog. (Did not want to do it this morning -- it was only in the 50's!) I will really miss that pool -- the treadmill just isn't the same.

Tomorrow, it will be back to the treadmill again. I need to go out of town for work either next week or the week after -- that will put a damper on the workouts! Maybe the hotel will have an exercise room!
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:27

BF:

Wow, can't believe how long it's been since I've posted here. I have been exercising in the interim, just not as regularly as I should. Now, though, I'm finally getting back into the routine. We were on the road so much that it was difficult; also, I really did not feel all that well for a while -- was just wiped out! I think all of the travel was getting to me. I did, however, manage to get in some more pool jogging, but not in my pool (it's winterized now -- tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the 20's, and we might see that awful 4-letter word -- SNOW!!!! I'm sure it will only be a few flurries and will melt immediately, but I am NOT ready for it yet!) I was in Tampa on a business trip and did get in 3 out of 4 days of pool jogging at the hotel pool, which, fortunately for me, was deserted at 6:00 a.m. Unfortunately, there was no time for weights that week -- way too busy a schedule. Also, with all of the travel and business-type meetings, I got way off track with my eating. I'm also back on track again with that, so I'm feeling much better.

So, Monday I started back on a regular schedule and strict low carb. Monday: 30 mins. on treadmill, 2.2 miles, 4.2 - 4.5 mph, incline 3 - 6. LBWO at gym.

Tuesday: 30 min. on exercise bike.

I am trying to vary my cardio, so tomorrow I plan on Tae-Bo and UBWO at gym. I am also keeping the carbs under 20 for at least a week or 2 to de-tox after eating too many carbs the past couple of weeks.

Also, added kelp to my list of supplements on advice of a former co-worker in the Tampa office. She went from a size 22 to a 10 -- lost 1/2 of her body weight over about an 18 month period. She said the only thing that changed is that she added kelp to her diet (she is not doing low carb, so I would guess that she also cut some calories; but she is not doing low fat either, because she dipped her crab in the butter at the restaurant). She did not add any exercise. I guess that the kelp won't hurt and it's relatively inexpensive, so I thought I would give it a try for a few months to see if it helps. My best guess, though, is that the kelp was of minimal help in her weight loss, so I will be quite pleasantly surprised if it helps me!