Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 02:52
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 180/152/155 Female 506
BF:
Progress: 107%

I'm with you SD don't know if I like being an Elder.
Just getting used to being a Senior...hehe.......

Sheryl
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 06:16
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Azraelle...
I have been overweight since I was a child. I have had a few periods of dieting during my life. When I was 14 my doctor put me on a diet - 900 calories a day. I had to come home at lunchtime and eat a plain wedge of lettuce. I got down to 120, but of course put it back on. I was 150 in high school. With my first child I added 35 lbs. permanently. Another 20 with my second. Those were the days of 'diet pills' (amphetamines). My doctor gave me those and I got down to 135 again. (The last time I was a size 12) In the late 60s I found a diet by a Dr. Moore. It was no sugar, low starch, portion controlled. Lost good again, but then started eating sugar again. Sweets are my problem. I stopped dieting because I knew the yoyo was not good for me. The last time I lost weight was about 10 years ago. The Dr. put me on blood pressure meds and said I was on my way to heart disease. (My dad died at 61 with a massive coronary) It scared me and I started watching the fat and eating more vegies and fruit. I didn't weigh myself then so don't know what I weighed. Since then I went through menopause and got sloppy about watching the fat and gained again. When I started Atkins I was heavier than I had ever been.

When Atkins first book came out in 74, some of my friends did it and lost weight but they didn't stick with it. Then started hearing about it again last year. Found a copy of his old book at a thrift store, bought it and put it on the shelf. When he died, my daughter commented that she was thinking of doing Atkins. I got out the book and she started reading aloud from it. It described me perfectly. I bought a new book. The part where he talks about the history of man's eating convinced me - the fact that man for 1000s of years survived on mostly meat and vegies. I knew that this is the way that God intended for man to eat in the first place. It is only when mankind begins messing with God's creation that we get into trouble. It was also the health benefits that Atkins describes that helped convince me.

I knew that to prevent the yoyo dieting effect, if I when on this diet, it would have to be for life. I was mentally prepared before I started. I know that this is my way of eating for the rest of my life. That attitude has helped prevent temptations to cheat.

The 1st day was fine. The 2nd and 3rd days were awful withdrawal symtoms, and the 4th day I woke up with more energy than I have had in 10 years. I worked outside in my flower beds all morning and wasn't even tired. I could not do that before - would have to rest often. The pain in my knees and hip was gone. I could run up the stairs without getting out of breath. (I took a stress test 2 years ago and could not do the treadmill.) I want to lose weight and not have to buy 'fat lady clothes', but if I don't lose another lb. I will keep eating this way because it is healthier. I am looking forward to my first Dr. checkup in about another month.

I didn't intend to write a book. I do tend to ramble....

I is frustrating when we have relatives and friends that could benefit from Atkins and we can't convince them. But they have to want it themselves. We are a society of instant gratification. And too much of our social life revolves around food.

CYL
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 15:23

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Another 58 yo grandma here...can I play too?!

I read all the pages of this thread this morning and thought about that title...elder? Hmmm.....okay, but it must stand for Enlightened Ladies and Dudes Encouraging the Regiments....or something 'cause an elder is an OLD person...and that ain't me!!! Doesn't sound like it is any of YOU either!

I just joined the site, but have been low carbing for about 7 months now. My health has improved a thousand fold and I am passionate about this WOE. The weight is stubbornly hanging on but that's okay. Patience is the key and I have finally learned that lesson...I think!

I am one of the few who didn't have a weight problem when I was young (I always was a BRAT!)but had a hysterectomy at 28 and oh my Katy bar the door! It starting piling on...first just ounces and then pounds and the last few years I swear it was TONS!! Now I've almost doubled my wedding weight and I'm determined to become HEALTHY again. If I lose weight in the process..great...but I'll settle for feeling good for now.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 16:17
Contributing Member

BF:

Welcome, Miz Steaks!!

Ohh, I admire your attitude. That's the attitude I strive for but this bouncing just above 200 is driving me crazy. I started in April and lost 21 lbs in 2 weeks, and 9 the third week. 3 lbs a week after that until 3 weeks ago when it came to a halt. So maybe my expectations were a little too high after losing so fast at first. I'm going back on strict induction tomorrow so see if I can jumpstart it again. I've been keeping carbs at 20 to 25, but eating nuts and berries. Only induction foods for the next 2 weeks.

Tell me about your grandchildren. I finally had my first grandchild, Samantha, in Dec. 2001. She is a joy. I was lucky enough to be there when she was born (DS & DIL live in Kansas City). She was 1 hour old when I held her for the first time. It was the most special moment of my life. I get to see her every month or two. She is growing so fast. Going down there next weekend. DD from Vermont will be there, too.

It will be nice visiting with you. CYL
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 16:22
Contributing Member

BF:

BTW, I love your "Enlightened Ladies & Dudes Encouraging the Regiments" idea. Anyone else have any good ideas?
  #111   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 16:33
Contributing Member

BF:

Scorpiovs...I'm so sorry. I forgot to welcome you.

WELCOME
  #112   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 21:09

BF:

Hi SDgrandma ! I just try to laugh at Life an everything...weird I know, but, by golly, it sort of works!

Aren't those grandkids a thrill? My first one (Donovan) was born 17 years ago and I got to watch it happen. Pam (DD#2) had lots of problems and after 38 hours of labor they did a C-section and Grandma got to watch! Truly was the most awe inspiring moment of my life up til then! She added 2 more boys to the gang and they are now 12 (Jordan)and 14 (Dakota).

DD#1 (Theresa) had the next one in December 1995...our first granddaughter, Kayra. She was followed eleven months later by (Randy) and she ended her family with Ethan in April of 2000.

DS (Tony), and his wife had Lexington in April of 1998 and followed with Phoenix in September of 2000. They will be having more they tell us in hopes of having that elusive son.

I figure 'the more, the merrier'. If the kids can support them, I sure can love them!

Is that 8 of them..or did I miss one or two!! Get them all together and it is a riot of activity. DD#1 and her husband are both deaf, so the whole family is trying to learn sign language and it can be quite dangerous some times with the flashing hands...especially at the table when those hands are holding forks!

That's enough geneology for now! Fill me in on you and your family!

I don't get too impatient on this WOE. I figure it took me 58 years to get into this shape...what's a few more years to get thinner? I have lots of healing to do inside before the weight becomes the focus. It'll happen when it's supposed to.

Be Good To Yourself!
Nance
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 04:54
Contributing Member

BF:

Miz Steaks....What a great family! And I love those names. I can tell your kids inherited your creativity. You must have gotten married young, too, with a 17 yo GS. I was married at 18, had DS the first year, and thought I could be grandma by 40. But DS didn't get married until he was 37! Daughters aren't married yet. DD#1 is 38 and lives a few blocks away. DD#2 is 30 and an RN in Burlington, VT. DD#1 is doing Atkins, too. Her kids are a dog and 5 cats.

BTW, how did your DD come up with the name 'Dakota'? Any ties to North or South Dakota? It's unusual. I bet you have fun family gatherings. I'm so excited about having mine all together this weekend. I can't imagine going thru life without children.

A sense of humor is not weird! It is necessary. People without one have the emotional problems - depression, etc. They take everything too seriously.

Have a great day!
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 09:35

BF:

Good warm morning SDgrandma! How's the weather in the Dakotas today? We're in for another scorcher here in Oregon. Glad this is the last day of our heat wave...tomorrow back into the 80's.

Dakota's name was because my DD always liked the sound of it during geography class! Our 'Kody' was the first one we had heard of with that name. Now they are all over the place, but most of them are GURLZ! He hates it! Yeah, they are a pretty creative bunch...especially at getting into trouble! LOL!

I got married at 18, had Theresa exactly 9 months later. Sort of grew up with the kids so to speak. Jim was almost 5 years older than me and had just got back from the army when we met. We'll celebrate anniversary number 40 in December! Gosh...that's a scarey thought!

I am so glad you will have your whole family together this weekend! Such fun for you getting to see Samantha (LOVE that name!) We just had a family reunion in Seattle at my brothers' two weeks ago. Mother is almost 80 so we try to ALL get together every couple years or so. Had a good time catching up on all the news.

I'd better get off of here and get my work done while I can still move. This is going to be so addictive I might have to proclaim the office as an 'off-limits' area except for a certain length of time a day!! But oh what fun I am having!! WOOHOO!!

Have a terrific day!
Nance
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 03:02
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

My ex-wife's 6th (and last) child--a son (the first 5 were by me) is named Dakota Pepper. He isn't old enough to resent it yet. He may even decide he likes it! My first 5 had some fairly unusual names as well: Gabrielle Jennefer Yvonne, Zefyr Graeme Pierce, Leif Allyn, Katie Luisa, Raven Jesse Rafael. They all really like them. I, myself, on the other hand, have detested my name for most of my 50 years: Alma Joe. Since both my parents are now gone, mom having checked out on St.Patty's day, I will probably change it to something more palatable, keeping the initials AJ as that is what I have gone by for the last 30 or so years.
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 07:00
Contributing Member

BF:

Miz Steaks....The weather's been gorgeous the last couple days - in the 70's. Might make the 80's today. Hot as humid as it was last week either. Need to get outside and weed the flower beds. That is, if I can get off this board. I'm alread addicted. But this board has helped me so much. I don't know if I would be where I am today without the support and encouragement here. My DD, who's also doing Atkins, doesn't have a computer and she has a tougher time.

Azraelle....What mother would name her baby boy Alma? No wonder you hate it. Your kids do have unusual names. I don't have that much imagination. We picked Jay David (DH is David), Kristi Marie (my grandmother was Kristina Marie), and Susan Ann (I just like it).

Scale was down to 198 this morning. Maybe I've broken through that stall finally. I got so many compliments yesterday, but then I was wearing my new 'skinny' jeans - size 16.

Hang in there, everybody! Your patience will be rewarded.
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 08:01

BF:

Barb, WOO HOO! Way to go with getting under that danged ole 200 mark! Proud of you girl! Envy you the weather too! We're still in the upper 80's low 90's here today...and I don't do 'hot' very well at all.

Azraelle , we haven't met yet. Mighty pleased to meet you kind Sir!

My uncle was an A.J. and that's what we called him! Stood for Abner James, which he hated. I agree with Barb...your mother must
have had an interesting idea about names to choose a feminine name for a male child! Bet it built some real character in you though, having to deal with society's reaction to it! With my wacked out sense of humor I would have told everybody it was short for ALMIGHTY!

I love your kid's names! I would have named ours something really wacky, but Jim likes the simple, old fashioned ones. Actually, Pam was supposed to be Rebecca Louise when she was born. Jim went elk hunting...I went into labor...had her and she did NOT look like a Becca. I named her Pamela Marie and made it back home before Jim did and it was too late to change it!! LOL!

My Dakota is coming to stay with me this weekend. He loves to cook and we have some recipes he wants to try out. Rest of the family is off on baseball play-offs mid state. I call him 'Kadota' and he calls me 'Gram Cracker'...we have a blast together. He also has been stressed out lately and, when he is, his Tourette's symptoms flare up so he needs some 'de-stressing' here on the mini farm. He has a very mild case and is learning to 'try' to control it, but needs a safety valve sometimes. He's the one I think of when I fall into the pity trap. Makes me realize I'm not the only member of the family with a problem I don't like. Unlike Kadota though, I sure as heck can DO something about mine!!

Off to change the water on the garden. Have a successful low carbing day Gang!

Nance
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 180/152/155 Female 506
BF:
Progress: 107%

Good morning,

Thanks for the welcome SD, sounds like everyone is doing good.

We're off to the CA coast tomorrow morning, visit with my FIL/MIL for 3 days then going to Napa for "our" vacation, we're going ballooning for the first time, and take the Wine train, sounds like fun.

DD is due with her 2nd son in a couple of weeks, since I'm supposed to watch the 2 year old, told her to she has to wait til I get back, we pushed our vacation up to accomodate her

Weather here has been great, mid 70's unusual for this time of year, but with a lot of storms most of them at night.

Catch you all soon, hope I don't back slide too much while I'm away, but I'm going to try to stay on plan the best I can.

Sheryl
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:51

BF:

SDGrandma I just saw your picture! Either you just added it or my computer just decided to add it! Samantha is adorable! You must be counting the minutes until this weekend! And....you look just like ME! Hahaha...it's like looking in the mirror except you're a BIT better looking!!

Scorpiovs, pleased to meet you! Love the quote about strangling teenagers! Us grandmas have all been THERE haven't we?!! Have a terrific visit with the relatives and good luck staying on target with the lc'ing. You can do it!

Last edited by MizSteaks : Wed, Jul-23-03 at 10:53.
  #120   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 19:23
Contributing Member

BF:

Miz Steaks...
We look alike? That's interesting. They say everyone has a twin somewhere. I doubt the better looking part, though. One of my SD friends on the Dakotans and Friends thread asked me to add one. I HAD to include Sammy. She was 1 yr. old then - at Christmas. Now she's 19 mo. and has really grown.

Scorpiovs...Have a great time on your vacation. Ballooning, though? You're braver than I am. I have a problem with heights. Don't even like flying in a big plane. Nervous wreck until I get back on the ground. Wine train does sound like fun. I love trains - they don't leave the ground. A new grandchild - how exciting! How many do you have?

We went through Chicago once - never again. It took us 4 hours to drive from I90 on the north to I80 on the south. And another 2 hrs. to get to Gary. Traffic was moving at 15 mph if it was moving at all. How does anyone get anywhere in that city? Luckily I brought a whole bag of change for the tolls. And this was on a Saturday. We go to Kansas City a lot and traffic is always lighter there on Saturday. I'm rambling again - and about traffic of all things!! I'll shut up now.

Bye, for now.