Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 12:32

Plan: PaNu/VLC/Anti-Candida
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfinished
OK, I have to share. I’ve been following Dr. Harris’ PaNu since the beginning of August when I stumbled upon his Blog... and his recommendations for weight-loss (with no artificial sweeteners or alcohol) since he posted them. I’ve been LC for over 8 years now with good weight loss (although I could never approach goal) until I began adding the occasional high carb treat. Over the past 3 years I’ve put on weight and have been strictly LC again since January this year with no weight loss. Until PaNu. I just can not believe what’s happening to my body. The inches are melting away, I'm down 12 pounds, my brain fog is gone, my constant fatigue is gone, I am bursting with energy and my mood in vastly improved. My gout has disappeared, the numb areas (I know, this sounds crazy) that I’ve had on my thighs since adolescence have regained sensation, my skin is so soft it feels lathered in skin cream. I have no cravings and almost no appetite though when I do eat I enjoy it. It’s as though I’ve finally, at 55 years of age, developed a normal relationship with food. I finally know the difference between hunger and cravings. I used to be completely baffled by the common advice to simply “stop eating when you’re full”. Full? I have never known what that was. I thought it meant a stuffed belly… which mine often was… but the desire, the craving, for food was always present. On PaNu, a switch absolutely flips at a certain point in each meal and, man, I can not eat another bite. My fasting has gradually grown to 18 hours a day, and most days now my body only wants to eat 1 meal (late afternoon) and then I’ll sip a cup or two of rich bone broth for the nutrients. I’m flabbergasted. I believe that everything Dr. Harris has mentioned is essential to the results I’m experiencing. I keep my protein moderate (from 60 to 70 grams), then my fat at over 80%, and no carbs from vegetable sources except the occasional avocado. I drink heavy cream and use butter (both raw) but no other dairy until I get my food intolerance lab results back from Enterolab. Even then I’ll be very cautious about adding cheese back in. I love it and that makes me wary.

So, for the first time ever, I am absolutely confident that my body is healing itself and will attain it’s proper weight. And I’m astounded that I can say that.

Cheryl

Hi, first of all, sorry for my bad english.

I've read your post and need to say I feel like you before-PaNu... "I used to be completely baffled by the common advice to simply “stop eating when you’re full”. Full? I have never known what that was. I thought it meant a stuffed belly… which mine often was… but the desire, the craving, for food was always present." THAT'S ME!
I feel that this plan can be the solution for me... and I think my metabolism is really broken. Which book/site/plan do you advice me to follow?
tya
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 04:27
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein-PaNu
Stats: 192/173/170 Male 70 inches
BF:30/11/10
Progress: 86%

Tya,
Dr. Harris' blog is at www.paleonu.com. The guidelines he advocates are at the top of the page below the title banner. Take some time and read what he says. It is important to realize that PaNu incorporates some flexibility into this WOE. Good luck, this is a very good WOE and produces results very easily.
Mike
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 07:36

BF:
Progress:

Mike, thanks for the quick answer. I've been reading the site.

Well, about the 12 steps... what I have already done:

1 Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks) and all flour DONE

2 Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for carb calories. Drink whole cream or half and half instead of milk. DONE, I'm eating lots of butter and such (beside I need to find a replacement for dairy, because that give me acne, fatigue and stomach issues)

3 Eliminate grains DONE

4 Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils) Cook with butter, animal fats, or coconut oil. more or less, I don't eat food cooked with cooking oils but still eat olive oil

5 Get daily midday sun or take 4-8000 iu vit D daily NOT... I get very little sun, and don't take any vit D supplement. I need to start some.

6 Intermittent fasting and infrequent meals (2 meals a day is best) - NOT, I still eat some meals. I feel I need help in this one.

7 Fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation. DONE I almost don't eat any fruit nowadays.

8 Eliminate legumes DONE

9 Adjust your 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison avoids excess O-6 fatty acids and are better than supplementing with 0-3 supplements. more or less, Nedd to take serious in this one.

10 Proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions NOT, I don't do any exercise

11 Eliminate milk (if you are sensitive to it, move this up the list DONE, besides I still eat some dairy (I need to stop to, that give me lots of problems)

12 Eliminate other dairy including cheese- (now you are "orthodox paleolithic") NOT

I will do the steps I miss, and continue to read the blog.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: Pure Carnivore (+salt :-)
Stats: 289/240/00 Male 5'9"
BF:35?%/?%/10%?
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centifolia
Mike, thanks for the quick answer. I've been reading the site.

5 Get daily midday sun or take 4-8000 iu vit D daily NOT... I get very little sun, and don't take any vit D supplement. I need to start some.
Vitamin D is incredibly cheap for 5000iu caps. NOW makes a brand that is cheap and that works. On prescription D my levels stayed around 19, on the NOW D I was a 55 (during winter). I'm not a stockholder in them or anything, but they seem very cheap and are widely available.

Quote:
6 Intermittent fasting and infrequent meals (2 meals a day is best) - NOT, I still eat some meals. I feel I need help in this one.
I don't think most people who eat infrequently set out with that as a goal. Hunger tends to diminish with time. How long have you been following his guidelines? If you get hungry 3 times a day, eat 3 times a day. The only tweak I'd suggest is trying to eat a bigger breakfast than usual. That might be enough so that you can skip lunch.

Have you read GCBC? The argument there is that insulin is the driver of weight gain. Whenever we eat, our body releases insulin to deal with the food. If we eat less, hopefully we'll have less insulin release. I'm not sure if anyone has demonstrated differences in weight loss or in health by doing intermittent fasting. I like it for convenience: not having to eat at work is nice. I also hit a stressful point a few weeks ago and had no food at home, so simply didn't eat for 26 hours or so. By the end I was hungry, but not short tempered the way I would be on the SAD.

You also mentioned you don't exercise and eat "other dairy," those are definitely on the low priority side. You've heard the arguments for exercise, but there are some good ones against it (Trick and Treat lists some of them). Particularly if you're very obese at the moment, skipping exercise is probably a good thing.

For full disclosure, I do exercise twice a week, but I only do 5 exercises, 1 set of each with a lot of rest between exercises (about 30 minutes total). My goal is to be a morbidly obese guy who can do a chinup :-) People ask me about aerobic exercise, and I tell them I don't want to risk it while I'm heavy. Maybe once I'm thin it makes sense. Not really sure though. I imagine a cross country run once a week with interval training could be beneficial. I'll let you know in 90 pounds or so :-)

You're doing great, and have hit most of the biggies. About all I'd suggest is adding a daily 5000iu D supplement, and tweaking the breakfast to eat a bit more.

joe
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 09:26

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Just a quick q-

How does Mr. Panu feel about artificial sweeteners?

Also, I have heard that many people avoid wheat like the plague. I still eat it, via Melba toast and LC wraps.
In comparison to say, a potato, what is so bad about wheat?
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 09:45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne!
Just a quick q-

How does Mr. Panu feel about artificial sweeteners?

Also, I have heard that many people avoid wheat like the plague. I still eat it, via Melba toast and LC wraps.
In comparison to say, a potato, what is so bad about wheat?
The biggies are:
1. A lot of people have wheat allergies or are sensitive. Many skin problems are caused by wheat, or are greatly reduced or gone in the absence of wheat (e.g. adult acne, psoriasis).

2. Wheat has phytins, which are both useless to us and bind to other nutrients making them undigestable too.

Bleah. Berries and nuts seem like stronger carb choices.

There is a lot more on the PaNu page about wheat and grains.

joe
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 09:50

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Thanks Joe, i'll have to go and read, because it still doesn't seem like it's that bad. I don't think I have an allergy to it....

or perhaps it's b/c i have no other way to eat the pate i just made and am looking for excuses to polish off my melba toast
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-09, 14:27
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 236/217/185 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi HappyLC.... yes I am still around, though I haven't been checking this thread lately. Thanks for the sweet words, but it's the PaNu regime that is inspirational. I'm down a little over 20 pounds now and even more importantly, feel disgustingly healthy and happy. oh, and I keep noticing new, and sometimes funny, improvements (like no more ear wax build-up... anyone else?).

Tya, I think one of the great aspects of Dr. Harris' approach is that you can work through the steps as you feel able to do so. And somewhere in one of his posts, or in one of his comments, he suggests that the fasting occurs naturally once your nutrition is straightened out, but might need to be forced a bit at the beginning. My ability to fast for about 18 hours most days came about naturally after about 10 days of following PaNu.

Carne... in one of his posts or in a comment section Dr. Harris does recommend avoiding AS or any sweet taste due to the evidence that they can trigger an insulin response in some people.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-09, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing/Dukan
Stats: 192/166/160 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

For me, not eating wheat is easy - I can't tolerate gluten.

I find myself really grateful that I can't eat most junk foods, actually.

Unless you try giving up grains entirely, you'll never know if that would make you feel better.
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-09, 13:03

BF:
Progress:

Thank you all.
I've been reading the blog but I haven't figured out exacty what is the conection between vitamin D and weight loss. Can anyone explain me that?
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 06:15

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Wheat also has lots of lectins. More than other grains apparently. There's a theory that lectins bind to leptin receptors and make you leptin resistant.
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-09, 09:51
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you all.
I've been reading the blog but I haven't figured out exacty what is the conection between vitamin D and weight loss. Can anyone explain me that?
From a weight loss perspective, I don't think vitamin D is important (from reading his blog). But the blog is about health, not just weight loss. For example, there's no evidence that resistance exercise speeds weight loss (probably slows it down if anyting).

joe
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 13:02

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Just a little shameless bump for this thread.

Patrick
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 18:44

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

Nice thread Patrick.Surprised I never saw it.If I can add some thoughts to it since you bumped it....

First off is that Dr.Harris states his plan is very close to Optimal diet by Dr.Kwasnieski.Whats great is that we now have an American "doctor" to guide us instead of being blindly led along by a far away doctor who has no intentions of Americanizing his eating plan.

Second is that I think some people are confusing Dr.Harris choice to use butter and cream with #12 on his list to remove if weightloss is slow.By dairy I am pretty sure he means dairy with protein in it.So eliminate milk and cheese.Butter,heavy cream,half&half and sour cream are low in protein so are not included.In this post he talks about why he uses dairy fat for fat calories even though dairy is not really paleo by definition.

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...bohydrates.html
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 20:55

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

That's right, these are really low in casein, so they are ok.

Patrick