Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 13:19

Plan: My own+BFL
Stats: 295/192/170 Female 5'4
BF:46.3/33/25
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesedays
That's fine. I still find you to be insightful and knowledgeable in this WOE and have appreciated your posts. (except for this one obviously )

hey, cool, someone actually listens to my ramblings!

I forget sometimes that things don't translate well over the internet- concern comes out sounding like you're being a snot I'm still working on it
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 13:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyA
Then we'll agree to disagree

Just to prove this is not always true,I have not and will not buy these products.Even if I wanted to I wouldnt find them because Im in Canada and you just dont find them.

I did not learn a lot from the books...........maybe that why Akins is bankrupt,just dont need the products and books.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 13:30
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

It's ok to disagree, it's not ok to be disrespectful.

Think twice before you type cause you can still make a point without being pointed to the door.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 14:30

Plan: My Plan!
Stats: 241/189/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Some of the replies here are a little disheartening. Thank god I've read The Book and am an avid reader.
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 22:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I just don't get how someone else can "cheapen" your effort by not doing the work themselves? How on earth does this take away from your effort and success? If anything, following the rules and succeeding would only serve to make you an example of how doing the research and such can lead to the desired result and perhaps inspire others to do the same. I really doubt ridicule for not doing it "right" would have the same effect?
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 06:33

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

For those who can't afford it ($35.00?!) check out used book stores and thrift stores like Salvation Army. Especially considering "the death of the low-carb craze", many people are disposing of their books. I was at Value Village last week and they had 1/2 dozen DANDR on the shelf for $1-3.00 each.
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 06:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I was at Value Village last week and they had 1/2 dozen DANDR on the shelf for $1-3.00 each.

Even new the paperback versin of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution cost 6 or 7 dollars US. What I believe cost $35.00 was the hard cover version of Atkins For Life which, BTW, I agree isn't terribly helpful for someone trying to lose weight since it's geared primarily towards weight maintainence.
But there's always your local library (absolutely free) for those that are really short on cash.

Please, folks...read the book for whichever plan you choose. There is so much misinformation out there that everyone will be far better off reading the book and getting the information first hand rather than from their best friend's cousin's brother's dog.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 09:29
Italian Princess

Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Um...one doesn't even have to read the book. We're all here on this thing called the Internet where the entire plan is located at http://www.atkinscenter.com.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 10:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleine
Um...one doesn't even have to read the book. We're all here on this thing called the Internet where the entire plan is located at http://www.atkinscenter.com.

That's true, but as someone else has already pointed out, since Dr. Atkins' death, the website (run by Atkins Nutritionals) has increasingly promoted the use of bars, shakes, bake mixes, etc...even during induction instead of sticking with the plan as it was written originally (another good reason to read the book with the original plan...so you can see how it has been altered since Dr. Atkins passed).
While some don't have a problem with using these low carb products, many do and, IMO, it's not a good idea to heavily promote their use right from the beginning.
Those who have never read the book and instead went straight to the Atkins website may be setting themselves up for failure right from the beginning.
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 12:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
That's true, but as someone else has already pointed out, since Dr. Atkins' death, the website (run by Atkins Nutritionals) has increasingly promoted the use of bars, shakes, bake mixes, etc...

You still dont have to read the book to find out the products are garbage.

By the way a $ 1.00 american is almost 2 in Canada.
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 13:19

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygirl
You still dont have to read the book to find out the products are garbage.

Gimme a break about the exchange rate. I'm in Vancouver and go across the border regularly -- one US dollar is worth $1.20 CAD as of about 5 minutes ago. So, for every $5 USD, it's $6 CAD. Not a huge difference and not enough of a reason to not buy the book, IMO.

Buying the book is an investment in yourself and it's really only a few dollars (definitely less than $10 for DANDR paperback). Like others have said, you don't have to buy the book in order to read it -- borrow it from a friend/coworker/library. As for buying it, no need to even spend the $$ for a new copy - as others said, check out secondhand stores and garage sales, markdown bins in bookstores, etc.
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 13:19

BF:

Quote:

Not according to this currency converter One dollar US equals 1.19 Canadian as of today's current exchange rates. That makes a 7 dollar paperback (US) $8.37 Canadian.

Why all this resistance to reading the book for a person's chosen plan, anyway? It seems to me that those who spend hours reading and posting here can surely spare a few hours (and/or have the reading skills) to read the book for their own plan even if it's a chapter or two at a time?
Telling someone to read the book for their chosen plan is sound advice, whether they get it used, new or borrowed from their local library. Whether a person chooses to read the book rather than rely on possibly inaccurate information from the internet is up to them, but it's still sound advice to read the book.
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 13:44
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife
It's ok to disagree, it's not ok to be disrespectful.

Think twice before you type cause you can still make a point without being pointed to the door.

That's certainly a lesson worth learning. Keeps you from looking foolish.
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 13:58
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
That's certainly a lesson worth learning. Keeps you from looking foolish.

Take care!
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 14:26

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%
Default I'd have to agree too...

What really gets me is people who tell me they've tried Atkins and felt awful or terrible or it didn't work, only to find out they were eating bacon and meat all day long- 0 carbs, no veggies!

Or my favorite are the people who tell me this is a terrible diet and I am going to cause a lot of damage to my body, when they don't have any clue how the diet works or what I'm eating. They think like the folks above, that I am going to spend my day gorging on bacon, steak, cheese and butter.

It seems to be the same old story, I'm getting really tired of hearing it. I wish there was a pocket version of the book that I could shove in people's faces when they start telling me what a terrible way of eating this is.

p.s. asked my doc about Atkins before going on the plan and he gave me the thumbs up!