Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 09:20

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Has anyone tried the dried shirataki noodles?? Are they any good?? Just wondering because they seem to be easier to find with out the tofu dried then the wet ones.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

joylorene: Where do you get dry shirataki noodles? How many carbs so they have? The last dried noodles I saw in a store were very high carb.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:06

BF:

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=3659

Says 1.5net carbs per serving - Hope this comes thru I'm not very good on the computer.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:30

BF:

Oops copied the wrong ones - but they are on that same page. says 13g carbs but 8g fiber so they should be only 5g right?
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:30

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Extremely cold weather conditions may cause the Shirataki Noodle container to burst and leak during delivery. AFG does not guarantee items damaged due to weather conditions.

these noodles are the wet pack noodles just like the other brands....
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:33

BF:

#97   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:34

BF:

You KNOW I"M IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! WITH MY COPY/PASTE TALENTS!!! I KEEP PULLING UP THE WET PKGS - I'll have to keep searching.

Thanks
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:36

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

these are also packed in water... the same delivery conditions apply. The packages could burst in transit if they freeze because they are packed in water....i have tried these myself so i know that they are wet pack....

i've never seen any dried shirataki noodles anywhere nor have i heard of them....

i do recommend that you try them anyway
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:45

BF:

deb34 - thank you - I will have to give them a try. What do you usually put on them - LC spagetti sauce??
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 11:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlideRider
Thanks but looked all round their site and cant see an outlet in UK!

Getting it shipped to Uk will cost mega-bucks if it is anything like other products once customs & excise add their taxes and duties!

Has anyone been able to buy the tofu variety from a supplier in UK?
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 16:09

Plan: shiritaki
Stats: 190/190/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Everyone!
I saw the article in First Magazine about shiritaki noodles. I tried the shirataki noodles. Everything you have heard is true: if you just eat them - they taste like rubber bands and the stench is awful.

However - if you rinse them real good - pat them dry, and chop them up real small (so they just slide down with what you are eating - they are fantastic!

I made chili the first time I used them. My chili recipe makes 2 big bowls. I added the 8oz bag of rinsed, dryed, chopped noodles to the finished chili and I could only eat about 1/3 cup instead of a whole bowl! and the chili tasted the same as always.

The trick? Just whatever you do: don't try to chew the things. (Like jello - I like to let it just slide down! chopped small that's what they automatically do anyway. I'm going to put them in everything!

If anyone saw the article in First Magazine: I have been searching all over the internet for the recipes that individual's had given in that article. One in particular was for spinach (made like a Thanksgiving dressing recipe) that the person just added the noodles to. I would love that recipe!

When my children were toddlers they would not eat spinach at all. When I found a similar recipe as given by First Magazine: I made them the size of meatballs and my kids would snack on them: they loved them. I used to make 6 or 8 times the recipe so that they could grab a handful out of a sack full I had in the freezer and microwave them. They tasted like dressing (not spinach at all) and the kids loved them!

I'd love to do that again for myself with shirataki noodles included in the batch. I find if I have lots of things in the freezer that are easily zappable: I do great on a diet. And the spinach always froze very well and worked great used that way.

Another thing I've tried is frozen grapes. They are great out of the freezer and a tasty snack that is really good for you (instead of popsicles).

If anyone has any of those First Magazine recipes: I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks.

margee
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

In this link that was given earlier:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pr...atakinoodle.htm

it mentioned that the shiritaki made with the tofu added are less rubbery:

Shirataki noodles tend to be a bit “rubbery”. Although this can be somewhat reduced by a short period of boiling, one food developer found that adding tofu to the shirataki produced a “tamer” texture. It also adds a bit of protein and carbohydrate. (1 gram protein and 3 grams carbohydrate pre serving). This product is a little easier to find, at least

So, Margee, you said yours are rubbery, which is why you cut them small. Do your noodles have the tofu added?
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 16:31
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I allways buy the Tofu Shirataki ones. They are NOT real chewy when I cook them so not sure what others may be doing wrong. Tonight I had mine topped with beanless chili with ground turkey in it. Then topped with some shredded cheese and a small dap of sour cream YUMMY! I do boil mine for 3 minutes then drain on paper towel for a few. Allways comes out delicious.

Angel
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 10:39

Plan: shiritaki
Stats: 190/190/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default shiritaki noodles

HI,
I did not boil mine. I was told to chop them up real small after rinsing and patting them dry. I'll try boiling them next time. I did use the tofu ones.

Did anyone get those recipes from First Magazine? I'd really like to have them.
Thanks for your help!

BTW: the tofu shiritaki noodles are in the refrigerated section of my regular grocery store. If you ask - they will probably start stocking them for you.
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 15:03

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

If it was the 'First for Women Magazine' I found a website where you can contact them and get back issues.
https://www.kable.com/pub/ffwm/facts.asp
I am sure if you ask they will be able to tell you which issue had the recipe you are looking for.