Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#901   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 11:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by articshark
Hi All. I finally made it to goal last week!!! WOOHOO for me. Well actually, I am .2 pounds away from goal but I figured that it was close enough. ROFL.

Anyway, I am adding back some exercise to my routine and I noticing huge fluctuations (2-3 pounds), probably in water weight cause I am NOT eating 7000-9500 calories, in my weight on the days after I exercise. It is crazy making!!!!

In any event, thought I would pop in and say hello to my fellow pre-maintainers and just plain jane maintainers.

So HELLO!!!
HELLO back!

Congrats on getting to goal - are you going to join in our maintainers weigh in thread? The accountbility definitely helps with staying on track.

2-3 pounds in water weight fluctuations is quite normal, and we all see weight fluctuations over the course of a week anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
I’m still in love with your 80/20 diet concept. I, for some reason, just had a hard time allowing myself to indulge. Perhaps I’ve developed some physiological problems after restricting my diet for so long. I’m sure the plan works because I didn’t gain any weight following it. I just felt so darn guilty while enjoying it.
Bo, I can quite understand why it's so hard for you, and I also feel that there's no point if it makes you feel so guilty. Perhaps you could just use the concept now and again for very special occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
since LCing, I get very high on ONE drink. Wednesday I had a work thing at a really nice place for DH work- and everyone started in the bar. After a glass of water, I had ONE mojito. That was it for the night- and I was flying. The other women had 3-6 martinis (cosmos, appletinis and lemondrops). DH had a margarita and a tom collins and lots of wine. I swear I was more affected than all of them with my one drink!
I have posted about this and have been told it is because of depleted gylcogen in the liver? But it IS real for me.
I think it's the same for most low carbers. Tends to make us very cheap dates!
Sponsored Links
  #902   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 14:27
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Artic! Welcome to our fantastic group! Maintaining is the best!
E
  #903   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 15:30
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Congrats on reaching goal.
Welcome to maintenance!
  #904   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 15:41

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Thanks everyone for the warm wlecome.

Boy, I thought the losing of the pounds was hard work. Now I get it. It is the MAINTAINING that is the hard work. LOL

I will look through the weigh in thread and see what it is all about. Thanks for the heads up!!
  #905   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 18:49

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

Quote:

Boy, I thought the losing of the pounds was hard work. Now I get it. It is the MAINTAINING that is the hard work. LOL

I will look through the weigh in thread and see what it is all about. Thanks for the heads up!!

Honestly, the weight loss wasn't that hard, it's the maintenance I am worried about. Hopefully I will still be posting next year, and still be in maintenance.

#906   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 08:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:

Congrats on getting to your goal!!

Yes, keeping it off can be a struggle. I have found that over time, my old bad eating habits are further and further removed from my way of life. We each need to find strategies that work for us as we learn to keep the weight off.

I've spoken with people who have been thin their whole lives, thinking that they do not have to pay attention to their weight...but its not true. They weigh themselves regularly and make adjustments to what they eat based on what they see on the scale. Its just the way they live.

Once I got that, I realized that I was never taught how to manage my weight as my mom was a big woman and had really poor eating habits. I learned well from her.

I picked out certain old favorites foods that I would allow myself to have as a treat once every few weeks(bagel, pasta). On special occassions, I will have "3 bites" of a special dessert. Its called the "3 bite rule"

Demi does an 80/20 thing and it works well for her.

Good luck with your long term maintenance. Our weighin has been a good support system for us. We've been at it now for over 2 years and it does help a lot!!
  #907   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 11:10

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I have found that over time, my old bad eating habits are further and further removed from my way of life.

Judy, this is so true for myself also.

Bo
  #908   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 16:54

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

How many carbs are you maintainers averaging daily? I am normally in about the 40 to 60 range with the occasional 100 or so.

I don't really count carbs anymore. I just look at what is on the menu or is being served and decide what I'm going to eat and what I am going to have just a nibble of after I eat all the protein and fat that I can.
  #909   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 18:36
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi pengu-
sorry no one replied. I don't count carbs at all so I don't have an answer.
but, HI!
E
  #910   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 21:43

Hi Pengu,

I also have never counted carbs so have no idea how many I consume. I do know their bad for my health so simply limit them if possible. My carbs are always low so for myself, it’s all about the calories. I weigh myself every morning and if I’ve gained, I simply limit calories for a while. If I‘ve lost, I allow myself to indulge a bit. There’s no need to count calories because it’s simply about making lower calorie choices. Just like with your carbs.

Bo
  #911   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 13:07
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
I can't believe that it is the end of August already!
I promised I'd let you know how my summer experiment was going, so...

The experiment was to limit alcohol to 2 drinks/week, and see if it helped my weight stabilize and not go up and down as much as it does in the summers.

Well, I hate to admit it but the 2 drink limit has made a positive difference. While I still go up a few pounds when I eat out, limiting the alcohol has lessened the amount gained and the duration, as well as the frequency of the bounce up.
I always go back to my 125 point after a couple of days of 'clean' eating, but this summer it really is easier.

How are you doing? Any helpful maintaining hints or ideas?

E
  #912   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 13:45

Hi.

I’m using the below protein shakes as a meal replacement when I’ve gained a little. The last time at Costco, I bought 3 cases. Costco prices are much lower than the online price. Check out the nutritional info and let me know what you think?

http://www.premiernutrition.com/pro...tein_shake.html

Thanks,

Bo
  #913   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 13:58
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hi,
Eno, I am so proud of you for taking this step to limit your alcohol intake....it does make a huge difference in our ability to lose or maintain....when kept to an absolute minimum.

Good Job!

That looks good to me Bo!!

Gosh...its almost Labor day!!
  #914   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-08, 17:45

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Bo...how do they taste?
  #915   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-08, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammac-5
Bo...how do they taste?

Hi Corinne,

The shakes are thick, creamy and have a great chocolate flavor especially when chilled. Because they were so good is the reason I purchased three cases. I was afraid that Costco might be out of them on my next visit.

Best wishes.

Bo