Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#901   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
Im still not 'getting' the whole CR = hunger thing. You mean hungry just before its time to eat?

Whoa,
This is too simple. Everyone feels hungry when it is time to eat or when they smell yummy food - remember Pavlov's dog. People mean before and after a meal! Hungry between meals, etc. Not being satisfied with average or small meal, or not being satisfied with small portion of vegetables and fruit only containing meals, or simply being hungry shortly after eating...
You refuse to understand that all of us are IR and some have diabeties, and this is totally different game!
Extra insulin combined with elevated blood glucose = bigger appetite. Higher than normal BG means glucose does not get into cells, and they are literally starving, so the body sends insulin to the resque. Once the job is done, this extra insulin will stimulate appetite further - a vicious cycle.

It does not matter what made us IR: genetics, poor food choices, lifestyle, ED - the result is the same. Once the controller is broken, no amount of fine tuning will fix it. Solution - bypass the broken mechanism (controller), so eat very little appetite stimulating food - carbs, and you regain control over the beast (to certain extend).
What this has to do with CR - it makes it easier, and you meet all nutritions. There are folks that can't eat carbs, period. You can argue until the hell freezes over, but aside from your personal issues with LC and saturated fats, not one argues that being a gluttone is good for you, but not everyone can follow CRONes diet. I have browsed through the intervies, and one person stated he lvies on veggies and fruit mostly. Fine, but this diet will send my BGs sly high, and I will be hungry 24 x7.
What do you think, I have never tried eating less or eating mostly veggies and fruit? What makes youi assume that no one on this forum tried and failed your plan?I am a champion of undereating for most of my adult life, trying to be somone I am not, like most girls was obsessed with thinness, etc. My favorite foods were salad and fruits, trust me, I have never met a vegetable or fruit that I don't like, and also I love beans, whole grains, and everything that is known as "peasant" or "farmer" food. I tried to eat very little, skipped meals, drank coffee and smoked, ate little or no fat at times, and while I initially could lose weight, I could never sustain it simply because hunger would take over rather sooner then later. I was hungry even I ate no processed sugars, sweets, junk. I could nto cotnrol my food, it was controlling me.
I wish I had this knowledge back then, I would realize that I should have turn my diet around and eat less carbs and add fat to sustain weight loss and stop being hungry all the time.
I am sure you will through few studies at me showing that CRers never feel hungry even eating very small/low caloric meals, consisting of fruits and veggies mostly. While you prefer few studies done on monkeys and rodents over "anecdotal" evidences of many many ppl suggesting that low cabr diet even with normal caloric intake provides similar benefits of CR done on a regular low fat diet, sans hunger pangs and low energy. I will not argue that some CR followers may live longer (or may not)- but many not soo skinny folks lived long lives too, but this is "anecdotal " evidence to you.
Sponsored Links
  #902   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Thank you for explaining that to me. Since i've never been anywhere close to having diabetes, even on a junk food diet... I guess I can't really get my head around it or understand what it feels like. All I can say is that in general, CR treats diabetics in all lab animals and human experiments... but I do accept your experience...
I will say however that skinny doesn't mean automatic longevity because skinny hasn't got anything to do with calorie restrictions longevity effect in anyway at all. Hence obese CR'd animals living longer than very skinny non cr'd lab animals. So there is no reason to believe 'naturally' skinny people will outlive a less than lean CRONie.
SIRT1 activators are already being tested on humans anyway, and results shouldn't be that far away. Maybe try those when they are available.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Tue, Nov-21-06 at 16:21.
  #903   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 10:46
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%

Quote:
Hence obese CR'd animals living longer than very skinny non cr'd lab animals.

How could a lab animal be 'very skinny' (id est, emaciated) without being CR'd?

#904   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 11:34
Registered Member

Because even the ad lib animals are NEVER actually ad lib. They are kept at 'normal' lean body weights by reducing their food by 20% or so, then the CR'd animals are cut back from whatever that number of calories ends up being.
  #905   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 12:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

As far as the energy in = energy out theory, I think there's some things it doesn't explain. Why are some people able to produce SO much more output for the same amount of energy? Its pretty obvious to me it is a genetic difference.

What does CRON do? It turns certain genes on that aren't functioning in most of us. Why couldn't this affect the underlying cell chemistry and cause a body to be able to derive more energy from fewer calories?

I don't think we're anywhere near being able to express how a body uses energy as if it were a immutable mathmatical formula describing some law of the universe.

This article illustrates how something as innocuous as a parasite can change how the body processes and creates energy at the cellular level.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...61120182114.htm
  #906   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
paleowoman- you mean kind of like how you don't have to hit EXACTLY 20 grams of carbs a day on Atkins induction to get the full benefit, although there are those who are that obsessive about it?

Just because there are an extreme bunch of CRON-ers who try to calculate their caloric intake to the decimal point, it doesn't necessarily mean cutting back on calories has no merit at all.

That would be like saying some people on the board have eating disorders, therefore lowcarbing is useless... wouldn't it?

CRON is defined by metabolic suppression. One is only CRONing as much as their metabolism is not working fully.

I think a big misunderstanding here is that we are confusing healthy eating (which IMPROVES metabolism) with CRON (which DISABLES metabolism). I think a lot of people perceive themselves to be CRONing when in reality they are just eating healthfully (thus, their body works *well* and there is no metabolic suppression characteristic of CRON).
Most people are overweight and overeating as a result of hyperanabolic metabolism (carbs, sugars, etc). So when one embarks on their 10% restriction of calories, but completely overhauls their diet to be healthier, they feel much better. Consider, also, most people can't count calories for anything so their 10% restriction is probably more like adequate to maintain normal body weight. They may lose weight, even if cals are about the same, because the metabolism has improved so much as a result of eating healthfully that fat is lost and energy is gained.

Again, one is only CRONing as much as their metabolism is disabled as a result of insufficient energy. CRON only is CRON if there is a state of metabolic suppression (thus stress). Cutting back food is not CRON if one is burning excess fat. Cutting back food is not CRON if they are eating cal adequate to maintain all metabolic processes (thus normal function/appearance). That's normal healthy eating.

My entire argument is that there is no justification (rational anyway) for purposely inflicting any degree of metabolic suppression. It is not pleasant to have such low energy, which anyone can tell you who's had metabolic imbalances/disorders (eg hypothyroidism, diabetes). CRON is metabolic suppression. It is by nature abnormal and extreme, the only question is how much so (e.g. are we just letting ourselves get a little dizzy before meals, or are we licking the plate to avoid losing one calorie?)
  #907   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 15:32
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

No, "we" aren't confusing anything, I was merely asking paleowoman to expand on her point. I'm not missing anything, I've been reading along for a while, and I was wondering where the line was, in her opinion. I understand perfectly that the concept of "CRON" is undereating for your body's needs, theoretically slowing certain processes in the hopes of extending lifespan... much like undereating even in the face of physical discomfort to maintain an artificially supressed weight to soothe one's fears of having to grow up and deal with life, no?
  #908   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Excellent point! And that's why I don't understand all the venom being expressed against CRON. If low-carb works for you, great. But does it preclude the fact that CRON can be an added benefit? It's knowledge, information, not hate literature. Even if you don't agree with CRON in the way that it is currently practised and presented by posters on this board or the more popular practitioners of it, isn't it possible it holds a germ of truth worth exploring in it?

Those old commercials on TV used to say that a mind is a terrible thing to waste. I think closing our minds to learning more just because what you are hearing doesn't jive with your current understanding of your own experiences or what you want to believe is just as bad.

Sigh
The medical establishment is still full of doctors/ nutritionists/ other health researchers etc. who tell you that a high carb/low fat/ moderate calorie/ unprocessed food diet is healthier than a low carb/mod protein/high fat/ unprocessed food/ also mod calorie diet. The experience of most of the people on this board is that that is incorrect. If someone comes along and spouts this nonsense on this board, we tell them that it is nonsense, and usually discuss why, based on personal experience and/ or 'studies'.

This is not venom. Whoa has just persisted in pushing a low fat dietary approach longer than most. I personally think high fat/low carb/ mod protein CR has fascinating potential for maximizing human lifespan with the least possible calorie restriction. But I do also think Whoa's constant harping on a low carb board that it's the calories that matter for optimal health not the macronutrient ratio, is about as dumb as if someone like Dean Ornish spent interminable posts trying to convince us that low fat/ high 'healthy carbs' was healthier for humans than high fat/low 'healthy carbs'.

He's just missing the point about the importance of an evolutionary appropriate low carb/ high fat macronutrient ratio for maximizing human health.

Now lets be honest Valerie. If I was silly enough to spend as much time as Whoa has spent here on a CRon forum arguing that it's purported longevity benefits could be obtained at a signifigantly higher calorie intake, as long as carbs were kept low, I would probably be eventually recieved with what you would construe as 'venom'.

Of course Whoa's entitled to his opinion. But after the n'th time restating that 'opinion', which clearly goes against the spirit and intent of this forum he has to expect people to get a little exasperated. I do wish I had the patience of Job in explaining where he's mistaken. But I don't. It's that simple.
  #909   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 15:52
Registered Member

Quote:
But I do also think Whoa's constant harping on a low carb board that it's the calories that matter for optimal health not the macronutrient ratio, is about as dumb as if someone like Dean Ornish spent interminable posts trying to convince us that low fat/ high 'healthy carbs' was healthier for humans than high fat/low 'healthy carbs'.

Why am I taking such a hardline stance on this? Because what you are saying is WRONG. All macronutrient ratios have been tried and nothing else is important other than enough vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, protein and enough calories to prevent starvation. Your idea that going low carb will let one do less CR is NOT supported at all. If it is... then you find it because I can't find anything at all saying that. What I can find is many studies showing that you decrease calories by and x amount and get x amount of life extension. Nothing to do with fat, carbs or protein... It is you that is not 'getting it'. And its blatently obvious.

It's not even just an 'opinion'! its a FACT. Now provide me with some damn evidence that macronutrient matters, in any species, for the CR effect. And prove to me in any species that doing high fat low carb required less severe CR to gain maximum longevity. Until you do so, stop saying its dumb.

I don't want to be called dumb, or an idiot... I just want you to PROVE your point. I'd be VERY happy if you can because then it will mean I have a good think about my CR and my carb intake.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Nov-22-06 at 16:35.
  #910   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 16:09
Registered Member

kneebrace I really want that evidence... pref for mammals. i'll tell the whole CR community about it because I'm sure they'd be thrilled to know that you can reduce one macronutrient and do less severe CR to get the same effects as, severe CR.

Waits...

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Nov-22-06 at 16:24.
  #911   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 16:29
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
Sigh

Back atcha!

Can you not see that your position and Whoa's are not mutually exclusive? I believe that low-carb is healthier for you too. I also believe that CR can extend longevity. Whoa is saying according to specific markers, as determined by whatever studies he's quoting, macronutrient ratios don't matter. I'm saying, I don't care about what the study says, I can't eat high carb because it sets me off and I overeat and then I'm not healthy so the question as to whether high-carb or low-carb CRON would be best is moot. We are debating - CRON vs low-carb.

Whoa isn't holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to try CRON. I think he's just genuinely surprised we aren't all doing it, given his values and his research, but he's not trying to force anyone. He's just evangelizing a little to a bunch of folk that are already interested in better nutrition and hopefully, learning in the process, why what works for him isn't the best for everyone. In response, I think we, as a group, have done a good job of trying to explain why we choose not to CRON, even given the benefits studies show it has. Whether it's too tough, we don't want to lose that much weight, we have emotional issues around food from years of obesity that he doesn't understand, we don't care to be that disciplined, it's not certain enough, it's not proven enough, it's not worth it for a lousy few extra years, it triggers our past eating disordered thinking, we can't without triggering carb cravings and rebound eating & weight gain, whatever.

The debate between the two is interesting. The name calling, the veiled insinuations that those that don't agree with a certain position are stupid, the negative characterizations of those on opposing sides is going too far in my opinion.

No one is going to "win" this. I've never seen a thread in the War Zone change the minds of people en masse. Rarely does even one or two people change their mind from the debate. If anyone's agenda is to change the other's mind, you'll go mad posting here. The War Zone is about spirited debate of ideas.

For the most part, that's what Whoa is doing here. It's what the area was designed for. He's in the right place. If someone can't handle reading what he's saying, they are the ones that should leave in my opinion, not him. If all we want is confirmation of our own belief systems, what are we doing in the War Zone?
  #912   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Why am I taking such a hardline stance on this? Because what you are saying is WRONG. All macronutrient ratios have been tried and nothing else is important other than enough vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, protein and enough calories to prevent starvation. Your idea that going low carb will let one do less CR is NOT supported at all. If it is... then you find it because I can't find anything at all saying that. What I can find is many studies showing that you decrease calories by and x amount and get x amount of life extension. Nothing to do with fat, carbs or protein... It is you that is not 'getting it'. And its blatently obvious.

The key word is "within the limit tolerated by the spieces".
  #913   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 16:46
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I guess that means if I give up eating entirely, I won't live forever?
  #914   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 17:00
Registered Member

A list of important studies is kept updated on the yahoo cr support group. A group that does very mild CR.

Here is the studies for those interested.

Type the PMID number here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?DB=pubmed

======================================================================== ===========================================
"Caloric restriction suppresses apoptotic cell death in the mammalian cochlea and leads to prevention of presbycusis."

August 2006. PMID: 16890326. Neurobiol Aging. 2006 Aug 3; [Epub ahead of print]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Neuronal SIRT1 activation as a novel mechanism underlying the prevention of Alzheimer disease amyloid neuropathology
by calorie restriction."

August 2006. PMID: 16751189 J Biol Chem. 2006 Aug 4;281(31):21745-54. Epub 2006 Jun 2.
"Caloric restriction and intermittent fasting: Two potential diets for successful brain aging."

August 2006. PMID: 16899414. Ageing Res Rev. 2006 Aug 7; [Epub ahead of print]
"Long-term caloric restriction abrogates the age-related decline in skeletal muscle aerobic function."

August 2006. PMID: 15955841. FASEB J. 2005 Aug;19(10):1320-2. Epub 2005 Jun 14.
"Using Caenorhabditis elegans as a model for aging and age-related diseases."

May 2006. PMID: 16803977. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006 May;1067:120-8.
"Effect of long-term calorie restriction with adequate protein and micronutrients on thyroid hormones."

May 2006. PMID: 16720655. J. Clin. Endocrin. and Metab: 10.1210/jc 2006-0328.
"Malnutrition and energy restriction differentially affect viral immunity."

May 2006. PMID: 16614394. J Nutr. 2006 May;136(5):1141-4.
"Excessive adiposity, calorie restriction and aging in humans."

April 2006. PMID: 16595760. JAMA vol. 293:13, April 13 2006.
"Anti-inflammatory action of dietary fish oil and calorie restriction."

April 2006. PMID: 16438990. Life Sci. 2006 Apr 18;78(21):2523-2532.
"Effect of 6-Month Calorie Restriction on Biomarkers of Longevity, Metabolic Adaptation, and Oxidative Stress in
Overweight Individuals."

April 2006. PMID: 16595757. JAMA. 2006;295(13):1539-1548.
"The effect on health of alternate day calorie restriction: Eating less and more than needed on alternate days prolongs
life."

March 2006. PMID: 16529878. Med Hypotheses. 2006 Mar 8.
"Calorie restriction induces mitochondrial biogenesis and bioenergetic efficiency."

February 2006. PMID: 16446459. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Feb 7;103(6):1768-73.
"Body mass index and mortality from ischaemic heart disease in a lean population: 10 year prospective study of 220,000
adult men."

February 2006. PMID: 16258057. Int J Epidemiol. 2006 Feb;35(1):141-50.
(Note: This study is included because of the close association between CR and BMI.)
"Long-term caloric restriction ameliorates the decline in diastolic function in humans."

January 2006. PMID: 16412867. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006 Jan 17;47(2):398-402.
"Caloric restriction in humans: potential pitfalls and health concerns."

January 2006. PMID: 16226298. Mech Ageing Dev. 2006 Jan;127(1):1-7. Epub 2005 Oct 13.
"Cardioprotection by intermittent fasting in rats."

November 2005. PMID: 16275865. Circulation. 2005 Nov 15;112(20):3115-21.
"Diet, metabolism and lifespan in Drosophila."

November 2005. PMID: 16137851. Exp Gerontol. 2005 Nov;40(11):857-62.
"Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and
insulin sensitivity in obese men and women."

October 2005. PMID: 16177201. J Nutr. 2005 Oct;135(10):2387-91.
"Rapid and reversible induction of the longevity, anticancer and genomic effects of caloric restriction."

September 2005. PMID: 15927235. Mech Ageing Dev. 2005 Sep;126(9):960-6.
"Overview of caloric restriction and ageing."

September 2005. PMID: 15885745. Mech Ageing Dev. 2005 Sep;126(9):913-22.
"Dietary restriction in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans."

September 2005. PMID: 16183950. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005 Sep;60(9):1125-31.
"Chronological trend of calorie intake and the incidence of epithelial neoplasms of the large intestine during the past
30 years in Japan."

September 2005. PMID: 16210878. Oncology. 2005;69 Suppl 1:46-9. Epub 2005 Sep 19.
"Calorie Restriction Extends Life Span, But Which Calories?"

August 2005. PMID: 16120010. PLoS Med. 2005 August; 2(8): e231.
"Chronic food restriction enhances memory in mice - analysis with matched drive levels."

July 2005. PMID: 15973161. Neuroreport. 2005 Jul 13;16(10):1129-33.
"Calories Do Not Explain Extension of Life Span by Dietary Restriction in Drosophila."

July 2005. PMID: 16000018. Public Library of Science. Volume 3, Issue 7.
"Caloric restriction decreases survival of aged mice in response to primary influenza infection."

June 2005. PMID: 15983169. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005 Jun;60(6):688-94.
"Effects of aging and anti-aging caloric restrictions on carbonyl and heat shock protein levels and expression."

2005. PMID: 16518701. Biogerontology. 2005;6(6):397-406.
"Dietary Restriction in Drosophila."

May 2005. PMID: 15935441. Mech Ageing Dev. 2005 May 31.
"Effects of caloric restriction on cell proliferation in several tissues in mice: role of intermittent feeding."

May 2005. PMID: 15613681. Am J Phys Endocrin Metab. 2005 May;288(5):E965-72.
"Dietary restriction at old age lowers mitochondrial oxygen radical production and leak at complex I and oxidative
DNA damage in rat brain."

April 2005. PMID: 15906153. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2005 Apr;37(2):83-90.
"Intentional weight loss reduces mortality rate in a rodent model of dietary obesity."

April 2005. PMID: 15897478. Obes Res. 2005 Apr;13(4):693-702.
"The unfortunate influence of the weather on the rate of ageing: why human caloric restriction or its emulation may only
extend life expectancy by 2-3 years."

March 2005. PMID: 15711074. Gerontology. 2005 Mar-Apr;51(2):73-82. Review.
"Protein restriction without strong caloric restriction decreases mitochondrial oxygen radical production and oxidative
DNA damage in rat liver."

December 2004. PMID: 15692733. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2004 Dec;36(6):545-52.
"Energy restriction and aging."

November 2004. PMID: 15534428 Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2004 Nov;7(6):615-22.
"Effect of caloric restriction on life span of the housefly, Musca domestica."

October 2004. PMID: 15319362. FASEB J. 2004 Oct;18(13):1591-3. Epub 2004 Aug 19.
"WBC Count and the Risk of Cancer Mortality in a National Sample of U.S. Adults: Results from the Second National Health
and Nutrition Examination Survey Mortality Study."

June 2004. PMID: 15184263. Cancer Epid Biom Prev Vol. 13, 1052-1056, June 2004.
(Note: This study is included because of the close association between CR and WBC.)
"Long-term calorie restriction is highly effective in reducing the risk for atherosclerosis in humans."

April 2004. PMID: 15096581. PNAS USA. 101(17):6659-63.
"Temporal linkage between the phenotypic and genomic responses to caloric restriction."

April 2004. PMID: 15044709. PNAS USA; 2004 April 13; 101(15): 5524-5529.
"Life-long calorie restriction in Fischer 344 rats attenuates age-related loss in skeletal muscle-specific force and
reduces extracellular space."

December 2003. PMID: 12972444. J Appl Physiol. 2003 Dec;95(6):2554-62. Epub 2003 Sep 12.
"Demography of dietary restriction and death in Drosophila."

September 2003. PMID: 14500985. Science. 2003 Sep 19;301(5640):1731-3.
"Nicotinamide and PNC1 govern lifespan extension by calorie restriction in Saccharomyces cerevisiae."

May 2003. PMID: 12736687. Nature. 2003 May 8;423(6936):181-5.
"Intermittent fasting dissociates beneficial effects of dietary restriction on glucose metabolism and neuronal resistance
to injury from calorie intake."

May 2003. PMID: 12724520. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003 May 13;100(10):6216-20.
"Genotype and age influence the effect of caloric intake on mortality in mice."

April 2003. PMID: 12586746. FASEB J. 2003 Apr; 17(6):690-2.
"Mortality and morbidity in laboratory-maintained Rhesus monkeys and effects of long-term dietary restriction."

March 2003. PMID: 12634286. J Geron A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2003 Mar;58(3):212-9.
"Meal size and frequency affect neuronal plasticity and vulnerability to disease: cellular and molecular mechanisms."

February 2003. PMID: 12558961. J Neurochem. 2003 Feb;84(3):417-31. Review.
"Calorie restriction in rhesus monkeys."

January 2003. PMID: 12543259 . Exp Gerontol. 2003 Jan-Feb;38(1-2):35-46.
"Energy Expenditure of Rhesus Monkeys Subjected to 11 years of Dietary Restriction."

January 2003. PMID: 12519821. J Clin Endocrin & Metab. Vol. 88, No. 1 16-23.
"Weight-cycling decreases incidence and increases latency of mammary tumors to a greater extent than does chronic
caloric restriction in mouse mammary tumor virus-transforming growth factor-alpha female mice."

September 2002. PMID: 12223427. Cancer Epidem. Biom. & Prev. Vol. 11, 836-843.
"Biomarkers of caloric restriction may predict longevity in humans."

August 2002. PMID: 12161648. Science. 2002 Aug 2;297(5582):811.
"Relation between body mass index and mortality in an unusually slim cohort."

June 2002. PMID: 12540689. J Epidem and Commun Health. 2003;57:130-133.
"Calorie restriction in biosphere 2: alterations in physiologic, hematologic, hormonal, and biochemical parameters in
humans restricted for a 2-year period."

June 2002. PMID: 12023257. J Geron A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002 Jun;57(6):B211-24.
"Effects of diet restriction on life span and age-related changes in dogs."

May 2002. PMID: 11991408. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002 May 1;220(9):1315-20.
"Life span is prolonged in food-restricted autoimmune-prone (NZBxNZW)F(1) mice fed a diet enriched with (n-3) fatty acids."

October 2001. PMID: 11584100. J Nutr. 2001 Oct;131(10):2753-60.
"Dietary restriction and glucose regulation in aging rhesus monkeys: a follow-up report at 8.5 yr."

October 2001. PMID: 11551852 Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Oct;281(4):E757-65.
"Impact of Overweight on the Risk of Developing Common Chronic Diseases During a 10-Year Period"

July 2001. PMID: 11434789. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161:1581-1586.
"Caloric restriction in primates and relevance to humans."

April 2001. PMID: 11795522. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001 Apr;928:305-15.
"Caloric restriction in primates."

April 2001. PMID: 11795520. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001 Apr;928:287-95.
"Dietary restriction and aging in rhesus monkeys: the University of Wisconsin study."

December 2000. PMID: 11113597. Exp Gerontol. 2000 Dec;35(9-10):1131-49.
"The Effects of Diet, ad Libitum Feeding, and Moderate and Severe Dietary Restriction on Body Weight, Survival, Clinical
Pathology Parameters, and Cause of Death in Control Sprague-Dawley Rats."

November 2000. PMID: 11053556. Toxicological Sciences 58, 195-207 (2000).
"Effects of reduced energy intake on the biology of aging: the primate model."

June 2000. PMID: 11041070. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jun;54 Suppl 3:S15-20.
"Calorie restriction in nonhuman primates: effects on diabetes and cardiovascular disease risk."

December 1999. PMID: 10630589. Toxicol Sci. 1999 Dec;52(2 Suppl):41-8.
"Calorie restriction in nonhuman primates: mechanisms of reduced morbidity and mortality."

December 1999. PMID: 10630591. Toxicol Sci. 1999 Dec;52(2 Suppl):56-60.
"Physiologic changes in humans subjected to severe, selective calorie restriction for two years in biosphere 2: health,
aging, and toxicological perspectives."

December 1999. PMID: 10630592. Toxicol Sci. 1999 Dec;52(2 Suppl):61-5.
"Mortality rate and longevity of food-restricted exercising male rats: a reevaluation."

February 1997. PMID: 9049716. J. App. Physiol, vol. 82, pp. 399-403.
"The retardation of aging by caloric restriction: studies in rodents and primates."

November 1996. PMID: 8994305. Toxicol Pathol. 1996 Nov-Dec;24(6):742-5 Rev.
"Caloric Restriction and Aging."

January 1996. Scientific American. 274 (1):46-52.
"Age-related neoplasia in a lifetime study of ad libitum-fed and food-restricted B6C3F1 mice."

July 1995. PMID: 7501958. Toxicol Pathol. 1995 Jul-Aug;23(4):458-76
"Ageing in fishes."

1994. PMID: 7926851. Gerontology. 1994;40(2-4):113-32. Review.
"Mid-life onset of dietary restriction extends life and prolongs cognitive functioning."

September 1993. PMID: 8415944. Physiol Behav. 1993 Sep;54(3):503-8.
"Life extension by dietary restriction in the bowl and doily spider, Frontinella pyramitela."

1989. PMID: 2707314. Exp Gerontol. 1989;24(1):83-92.
"Action of food restriction in delaying the aging process."

July 1982. PMID: 6955798. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1982 Jul;79(13):4239-41.
"Dietary restriction in mice beginning at 1 year of age: effect on life-span and spontaneous cancer incidence."

March 1982. PMID: 7063854. Science. 1982 Mar 12;215(4538):1415-8.
"Length of life and caloric intake."

August 1972. PMID: 5046728 (No abstract). Am J Clin Nutr. 1972 Aug;25(8):834-8.
"The effect of retarded growth upon the length of the life span and upon the ultimate body size."

1935. Not in PubMed. J. Nutr. 10:63-79. (McCay CM Cromwell MF Maynard LA).
======================================================================== ==============
  #915   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 17:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I found this study to be interesting and supportive of the claim that CRONers have more energy.

Calorie restriction induces mitochondrial biogenesis and bioenergetic efficiency.

Quote:
CR is hypothesized to decrease mitochondrial electron flow and proton leaks to attenuate damage caused by reactive oxygen species. We have focused our research on a related, but different, antiaging mechanism of CR. Specifically, using both in vivo and in vitro analyses, we report that CR reduces oxidative stress at the same time that it stimulates the proliferation of mitochondria through a peroxisome proliferation-activated receptor coactivator 1 alpha signaling pathway. Moreover, mitochondria under CR conditions show less oxygen consumption, reduce membrane potential, and generate less reactive oxygen species than controls, but remarkably they are able to maintain their critical ATP production. In effect, CR can induce a peroxisome proliferation-activated receptor coactivator 1 alpha-dependent increase in mitochondria capable of efficient and balanced bioenergetics to reduce oxidative stress and attenuate age-dependent endogenous oxidative damage.

They might not be long distance atheletes because they don't have enough fat stores but it does sound like the machinery that underlies the energy production operates better.
Closed Thread