Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 16:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Dietitians Go After A Blogger
Posted by Tom Naughton in Government Foolishness

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....fter-a-blogger/

A) Too many yankees in NC. The official's statements remind me of something my in-laws from PA might say.

B) If he's not getting paid and not posting a false license then he's not practicing.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Does anyone have a link to the court opinion?
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
Does anyone have a link to the court opinion?

Found it: http://www.ij.org/images/pdf_folder...4th-opinion.pdf
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-13, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl

So, the court sent the case back. He has standing. The board threatened him and he responded reasonably which, according to the supreme court, gives him standing even though there was no formal decision.

I think he will win on freely responding to questions on his website, i.e. "expressing opinions in the form of personal dietary advice” but lose on the selling of advice. NC may have to prove that his service was false but I doubt it.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 15:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

HE fought the Law and HE WON!!!

Congratulations to Steve and the Attorneys who took on this important case.

Quote:
Cary, N.C.—Last week, the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition voted to adopt new guidelines allowing people to give ordinary diet advice without a government license, thus settling a May 2012 First Amendment lawsuitt filed by diabetic blogger Steve Cooksey of Stanley, N.C. The board had previously told Cooksey that his blog offering personalized advice on how to follow the low-carbohydrate “Paleolithic” diet required a government license.

“Last week’s board vote recognizes that North Carolinians do not need the government’s permission to give someone ordinary advice,” said Institute for Justice Senior Attorney Jeff Rowes, who represented Cooksey in his lawsuit. “North Carolina cannot require someone like Steve to be a state-licensed dietitian any more than it could require Dear Abby to be a state-licensed psychologist.”

[WATCH A BRIEF VIDEO CLIP ON THE CASE]

In December 2011, Steve Cooksey started an advice column on his blog to answer reader questions about his struggle with Type II diabetes. Cooksey had lost 78 pounds, freed himself of drugs and doctors, and normalized his blood sugar after adopting a low-carb “Paleo” diet, modeled on the diet of our Stone Age ancestors. He wanted to use his blog to share his experience with others.
However, in January 2012, the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition informed Cooksey that he could not give readers personalized advice on diet, whether for free or for compensation, because doing so constituted the unlicensed practice of dietetics. The board deemed Cooksey’s advice the unlicensed practice of nutritional counseling, sent him a 19-page print-up of his website indicating in red pen what he was and was not allowed to say, and threatened him with legal action if he did not comply.

“All I wanted to do was give adults advice on what they should buy at the grocery store,” said Steve Cooksey. “I was astonished that the government thought it had the power to regulate that sort of ordinary advice. These new guidelines make clear that I can provide that advice to anyone who wants to hear it, and they will provide important protection for all North Carolinians who want to talk with others about diet.”

Cooksey’s situation is not unique—the Institute for Justice is currently litigating two similar cases based out of Texas and Kentucky. In Texas, the Texas Veterinary Board wants to use its licensing power to shut down a retired veterinarian who uses the Internet to give veterinary advice to pet owners who often live in remote areas of the world without access to veterinarians. In Kentucky, John Rosemond—America’s longest running newspaper advice columnist—was ordered by the state’s Psychology Board to cease publishing his parenting column because the Board believes John’s column constitutes the “unlicensed practice of psychology.”

“Cases like Steve’s raise one of the most important unanswered questions in constitutional law: Do occupational licensing laws trump the First Amendment?” said IJ Senior Attorney Paul Sherman. “The Institute for Justice is committed to protecting occupational speech throughout the country. This settlement is an important victory in that fight.”

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/201...the-law-and-won

Many links within the post and article to the actual press release, court opinion etc.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 17:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Bravo! Had it been decided the other way, I can imagine the scenario where any blog espousing a view contrary to My Plate would be a candidate for being shut down. Communicating this way is one of the few ways information that is not mainstream can be shared and discussed. Very important!
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 17:30
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Thank you for posting this!!!

The other two court cases they mention at the end are also HUGELY important -- gods, it's hard to believe -- I'm glad to see ref to that.

I am SO GLAD this turned out the way it did.

For the good of our world it so needs to be this way. The precedent otherwise is terrifying.

PJ
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-15, 04:34

Quote:
the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition voted to adopt new guidelines allowing people....

[url]http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2015/02/19/fought-the-law-and-won[/url

Unfortunately it wasn't so much that he won as it was that the board voted he wouldn't lose. The board decided the terms and I suspect wrote it's new rules narrowly to exclude the nature of his blog. Maybe their rules say that if there were adds on his blog it would be commercial speech and then could go after him again. I haven't clicked through and found what their new rules actually say.

Kind of creepy to me that the guidelines "allow" free speech.

ETA - Thanks to the google I found this: http://www.ncbdn.org/news/

On September 8, 2014, Steve Cooksey voluntarily dismissed the lawsuit he filed against the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition in 2012. Mr. Cooksey’s voluntary dismissal did not involve any exchange of money or any payment of attorneys’ fees.....

.....The updated guidelines clarify and highlight the Board’s view that non-licensed persons whose activities are limited to expressing information, guidance, opinions, or encouragement about food, lifestyle, or dietary practices are not engaging in the practice of dietetics/nutrition where such expression is directed at the public generally or outside the context of a professional-client relationship.

Neither Mr. Cooksey’s lawsuit nor its resolution has changed the Dietetics/Nutrition Practice Act or any of the Board’s regulations. The requirements of the law remain the same. It is the Board’s hope that the revised licensing guidelines will help all North Carolina citizens in better understanding the law.

Why did he dismiss his suit in September yet declares victory now while no regulations have been changed? Something seems odd to me. Moreover the board considers it's new take to be when the speech is to "public generally". Does that mean if I give the advice specifically I might be in violation?

Last edited by inflammabl : Sat, Feb-21-15 at 04:44.
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-15, 04:53

The more I dig into it, the more unhappy I am. Here is another part of the board's website: http://www.ncbdn.org/weight_control...ns_apply_to_me/

Step 1: Are you providing a weight control program that meets this definition?
Per 21 NCAC 17 .0201 A 'weight control program or service' means a general program of instruction with food, supplements, food products or a food plan designed for one or more healthy population groups in order to achieve or maintain a healthy weight.

In my mind Paleo certainly can be a weight control program with instruction on food products so if I gave an individual advice to go Paleo I would answer "yes" and it's on to step 2.

Step 2: Are you a licensed provider under Chapter 90 of the NC General Statutes with nutrition care services as part of your scope of practice?

No. I'm not a licensed provider so it's on to step 3.

Step 3:

Review the Rules and Statute that govern the regulation of Weight Control Programs.
Contact an LDN, RD or RD/LDN to conduct a review of your program. Arrange a consultation agreement with an LDN, RD or RD/LDN (these may be two different people).
Provide the NCBDN your contact information, and work with a Reviewer to complete the written assessment and consultation agreement. These forms are available on our website.
Submit these forms to the NCBDN at 1000 Centre Green Way, Suite 200, Cary, NC 27513.

So now I should consult a dietician, call the board to help their reviewer complete a written assessment and submit multiple forms to the board.

Seems like I commit two or three felonies every day.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-15, 05:00

So I looked up the three page evaluation form . Here is one of the questions:

Is the program and educational materials based on scientific evidence-based nutrition practices?

There's that phrase again, "evidenced-based." What I've found that to mean is not "based on evidence" but "what licensed experts tell you"
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-15, 08:13

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
There's that phrase again, "evidenced-based." What I've found that to mean is not "based on evidence" but "what licensed experts tell you"

Yes, and its everywhere now days. I am a fan of evidence, but I am NOT a believer in the infalibility of the scientific method!
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-15, 20:06
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
In Texas, the Texas Veterinary Board wants to use its licensing power to shut down a retired veterinarian who uses the Internet to give veterinary advice to pet owners who often live in remote areas of the world without access to veterinarians.

Hard to say on this one. I can google how to give myself a backstreet abortion but nobody's allowed to even give me advice about my cat. I think there has to come a blurry line where "lifetime experience" belongs to an individual and nobody has the right to prevent them sharing it. I guess it's one thing if he were selling service as a vet and he is no longer a vet. But if he's just giving 'advice based on his experience' especially to people who aren't anywhere near a vet I would think a sufficient number of "formal caveats" on the website ought to cover it.

Quote:
In Kentucky, John Rosemond—America’s longest running newspaper advice columnist—was ordered by the state’s Psychology Board to cease publishing his parenting column because the Board believes John’s column constitutes the “unlicensed practice of psychology.”

Because as we know, parenting didn't really exist until modern psychology invented it. Particularly when you look at the "longest running newspaper advice columnist" -- for godssakes the man must be old like crazy by this time with that cred -- I find this one far more dangerous. Psychology as a profession has a huge litany of problems anyway frankly and nearly any conversation can be classified as relating to "psychology" if you wanted to slant it that way.

PJ
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-15, 10:48

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's confusing on purpose. When a bureaucracy doesn't want you to get a clear picture, you won't get a clear picture!

Which is why, when I share my health strategies in places other than here, I am careful to emphasize that "it worked for me" and "here's what I did."

And I would note that the two cases PJ cites above are in Texas and Kentucky; two parts of the American South. Now that's an area that doesn't want you thinking or listening to thinkers
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-15, 05:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I think there has to come a blurry line where "lifetime experience" belongs to an individual and nobody has the right to prevent them sharing it.

I know that going along my line of thought might cause the thread to be locked but here goes….. The government does afford itself the right to regulate commercial speech. It has recently decided that speech that affects commercial behavior, even the speech that influences people NOT to engage in commerce, is commercial speech. For instance if I say, “Don’t go to the dentist” a lawyer might argue that only a dentist can say if a dentist should be consulted and hence the statement “Don’t go to the dentist” is an act of dentistry and can be regulated as it inhibits the commercial activity of licensed dentistry.