Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 17:30

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"I can't remember reading about people obtaining a resting heart rate of, let's say, 47 (since that's mine currently), with just diet and weight loss alone. Is there somewhere someone can point me to regarding this? For sure my heart rate dropped by losing 100lbs, but it was still over 60, only running pushed it below 50."

I'm the same. It's a nice 60 while sedentary and 48 with running.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 17:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I seem to recall that someone in one of my wife's running books (maybe Joe Friel?) said that this didn't happen until runners started eating low-fat vegetarian diets; runners who eat meat and fat don't get heart attacks. Can anyone tell me where this information came from, or if you've heard otherwise?

I can't remember. I can confirm what most athletes eat is horrific. One of the sprinters at the Olympics kept getting flack for eating McDonald's three times a day. Or Michael Phelps - we all know the crap he ate. Low carbing runners I suspect would be fine.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 17:35

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
I think we used to move much less than we do today.

Proof?

Quote:
I also think we used to be leaner, taller and more muscular.

Proof?

Quote:
Without the proper diet, we might as well sit all day long because muscles don't grow on sugar nor is protein useful in that respect when cells are insulin resistant.

Agreed.
And we probably would sit around all day. Without the proper diet, we wouldn't have energy to do a single thing.

Circulation slows at rest and blood can pool. Slow moving blood can lead to oxygen deprived cells. Without oxygen, cells can't heal. Seems about as logical to say that a bit of movement will enable cells to heal.

I'm not sure how you can say the "benefits aren't that great", re: pneumonia. It sets in hard and fast in the sedentary.

Last edited by Altari : Thu, Nov-12-09 at 17:40.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 17:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think we used to move much less than we do today.

Proof?

Neither of my parents had a bicycle, wore running shoes, nor had even heard of a health spa or an exercise class. They were born in the early part of the last century. While there was no TV, they read, listened to the radio, played cards, etc. I am of the opinion they didn't exercise any more than today's generation.
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 18:15

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
The Med-x machines have a lot of adjustments. I think they have a lineage in the physical therapy/rehab world.
Ah yes, that would be the way to go then. Physical therapy world is the bomb.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 18:30
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

A slower heart rate lessens the stress on the heart. Your heart is a muscle and will respond just like any other muscle and it will become stronger through conditioning. If your heart muscle is stronger, then your heart rate will decrease. Your heart will be putting out less effort to pump the same amount of blood. I don't know about everyone else, but I think a stronger heart = healthy. Besides, I love being able to keep up with my teenage track stars (I'm a runner)
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 19:12

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

But then why do so many athletes die of heart failure? There are assumptions made about exercise that just have not been proven, but they SOUND good. Much like "fat makes you fat" sounds good.
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

Do athletes really have a higher rate of dying from heart failure than the rest of the population? That would mean that 'athlete' would have to have a very clear definition. Someone who decides to go out for a run is not necessarily an athlete. That person may run sporadically and without good preparation.
Reminds me of husband's uncle who went for a walk after dinner when the weather was good. Dropped dead while on such a walk. Is walking dangerous for you?
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 19:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

BTW: Today I exercised with my cast iron skillet. I have a hard time with that thing so I decided to build up my arms and used it as my "weight".
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 19:17

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Athletes are notorious for sacrificing long-term health for whatever gives better performance. So they aren't a good example for drawing conclusions in general about exercise. Like in the middle of Goldilocks' "not enough - just right - too much."
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%

A cast iron skillet for exercise. In the shot put category of the Olympics, maybe...
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 21:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
But then why do so many athletes die of heart failure? There are assumptions made about exercise that just have not been proven, but they SOUND good. Much like "fat makes you fat" sounds good.

I think it's just because we hear about them. Even the three runners who died inthe Detroit marathon it's not certain they died of heart failure. Some people think it's likely they took in something toxic. I'd much rather be an Alberto Salazar (flatlined for nine minutes and survived) than the person who keels over from shoveling their walk.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 21:10

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve41
Neither of my parents had a bicycle, wore running shoes, nor had even heard of a health spa or an exercise class. They were born in the early part of the last century. While there was no TV, they read, listened to the radio, played cards, etc. I am of the opinion they didn't exercise any more than today's generation.

This is an anecdote, not proof.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 21:52

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Not only that, but the anecdote didn't tell us how much they walked vs. driving, what they did for work and how active they were in terms of housework.
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-09, 00:16
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Not only that, it failed to include statistics, as well as graphs in color. I expect to see all posts include this from now on.