Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 10:00

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

This excerpt from a post over at Zeroing In On Health kind of sounds like what was being mentioned earlier on this thread as to fat inflows/outflows:

"We must understand that hunger is a request from our cells for fuel. Obesity is internal starvation. Sure, there is plenty of fuel in fat tissue, but our cells are not getting to it because it's been trapped there due to high insulin levels. High insulin causes the body to put a crimp on fat tissue (much like we do when we bend the water hose) to create more pressure.

To reverse the condition, we have to literally overeat on fat and protein which will speed up the flow of fuel to the cells. This is the essence of the zero-carb diet. Your body will interpret that as having to reduce the fat tissue because the flow of fuel has increased too quickly. It made you fat to increase the pressure (i.e. the flow of fuel to your cells). Now, it will decrease the pressure because plenty of usable fuel is coming through the diet."
http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/...ead.php?tid=112

(Not vouching for or against what the person is saying.)
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 11:27

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
This excerpt from a post over at Zeroing In On Health kind of sounds like what was being mentioned earlier on this thread as to fat inflows/outflows:

"We must understand that hunger is a request from our cells for fuel. Obesity is internal starvation. Sure, there is plenty of fuel in fat tissue, but our cells are not getting to it because it's been trapped there due to high insulin levels. High insulin causes the body to put a crimp on fat tissue (much like we do when we bend the water hose) to create more pressure.

To reverse the condition, we have to literally overeat on fat and protein which will speed up the flow of fuel to the cells. This is the essence of the zero-carb diet. Your body will interpret that as having to reduce the fat tissue because the flow of fuel has increased too quickly. It made you fat to increase the pressure (i.e. the flow of fuel to your cells). Now, it will decrease the pressure because plenty of usable fuel is coming through the diet."
http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/...ead.php?tid=112

(Not vouching for or against what the person is saying.)

Yes this explanation, out of many, is sound and fits with Pennington's hypothesis. But it does not go into details about what causes insulin to stay too high for too long in the first place. Of course, most ZCer assumes the cause is carbs in the diet. But observations made by Weston A. Price does not support this all-carbs-have-this-effect-on-insulin hypothesis.

Yes carbs will require more insulin, but it does not mean that insulin levels should stay high too long. When you look at the metabolic pathways, fructose is the one carb responsible for insulin resistance. And IR will make it so that your insulin levels stay higher for too long.

Of course if you are already obese (damaged), then we don't know if cutting fructose will be enough. I believe it is and I will find out if that works for me.

Patrick
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 23:40
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

I stumbled on this just now:

Quote:
The big difference between VLC and high carb eaters is in the turnover of liver glycogen. Th high carb eater is using it as his main fuel, so his "gas tank" is being both filled and emptied simultaneously at a higher rate.

Everyone has glycogen in their liver, and everyone uses it.

The Final Question asked: "Is excess protein just peed out?"

No. Unless your kidneys are diseased, there are no protein or amino acids in your urine. Excess protein not used for new protein synthesis may be burned (efficiently or inefficiently) or stored as fat. If metabolised, urea shows up in the urine as a byproduct, but amino acids are not just spilling out like your body doesn't know what to do with them.

To repeat from my prior post, there is no particular fate for any macronutrient in your diet, and any excess substrate with caloric value can be stored as fat or burned. If you can eat excess protein or fat or for that matter carbohydrate and not gain weight, that is only proving that your diet has not deviated from favorable insulin levels, your caloric intake is low, or whatever. It is not because that macronutrient "can't be" turned into fat.

from: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...ally-criti.html
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 23:42
Every moment is NOW.

This post is probably more specific to the original topic of this thread:

Quote:
Can protein turn into fat?

I've had a lot of questions and comments about dietary protein and what happens to it, particularly when one is on "zero carbs". Here are some thoughts:

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...n-into-fat.html
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Of course if you are already obese (damaged), then we don't know if cutting fructose will be enough. I believe it is and I will find out if that works for me.

Patrick

More power to you. It is definitely not enough for me LOL. Dagnabit.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 09:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
3) Protein eaten in excess of structural and enzymatic (our enzymes are proteins) needs, and in excess of GNG requirements if you eat no carbohydrates, can be burned as fuel for energy. This is why we say that protein has a caloric value of about 4 kcal/g, just like glucose. If it is burned as fuel, that is the energy density. There is no " every gram of protein turns into such and such" It depends on many variables.

Now here's my question, if you eat protein to excess, and you don't need it for building anything and insulin is low what happens to it? I've been told you don't just excrete it.

Insulin does go up when you eat protein but glucagon also goes up, not exactly sure what that means though.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 09:24

BF:

Quote:
More power to you. It is definitely not enough for me LOL. Dagnabit.

But do you really know that? Because it could take one year without fructose, PUFA vegetable oils and caffeine before you are repaired enough to even start losing weight.

Weight loss is the last step in the healing process. That is why, I'm giving this a real good shot.

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Tue, Sep-22-09 at 10:18. Reason: spelling, thx to capmike
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 09:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Now here's my question, if you eat protein to excess, and you don't need it for building anything and insulin is low what happens to it? I've been told you don't just excrete it.

Insulin does go up when you eat protein but glucagon also goes up, not exactly sure what that means though.

If your body does not make use of the proteins, it will finds its way to your liver. And your liver will transform it to a usable form of energy, independent of your insulin level.

Patrick
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 09:31
Experimenter

BF:

This logic gets really circular. So it goes to the liver and gets converted to glycogen... what if your glycogen stores are full?
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 09:37

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Weight loss is the last step in the curing process. That is why, I'm giving this a real good shot.

For a minute there, I had a vision of a ham hanging in the basement, losing weight because the water is slowly evaporating as it cures.

But you meant the healing process, didn't you?
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 09:49

Quote:
But do you really know that? Because it could take one year without fructose, PUFA vegetable oils and caffeine before you are repaired enough to even start losing weight.

Weight loss is the last step in the curing process. That is why, I'm giving this a real good shot.

Patrick

I've spent years nearly that way but for the caffeine and some of that involved long periods of no caffeine (very minimal PUFA and only the fructose in nonstarchy vegetables). But I'm not saying I am a barometer for everyone else's metabolism.
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 09:50
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:

Do you have a research reference for this? Because to me it sounds like wishful thinking that functions as appeasing logic when something isn't working for someone.

There is no other endeavor on earth besides weight loss that someone would continue doing for a year with no results under the 'faith' that what they were doing was working. Except maybe Religious Science (the CSM has all kinds of articles from people who had simple, common, but miserable ailments, which of course they wouldn't take medicine for, so they prayed about it and 18 years later they were healed hallelujiah. Same theory, slightly longer timeframe).

Wasn't it Einstein who said that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. Giving something time to work is one thing but come ON.

I'm not saying that the gradual healing from god-knows-what-all is not likely improved 'with time' no matter WHAT one is now doing-better, doing-less, etc. I'm sure it is. We don't know for certain, I don't think, what damage is done, how much, how to measure the damage or the healing either, to be able to address that very well.

I'm just saying that nobody should have to do anything for a year to see if something isn't working for them. I give bodies more credit than this. Most of the cells of the human body are completely replaced--many times no less--in far less time than that.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 10:05

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I actually lost weight first, and now I'm working on the healing part. Pretty much all my weight loss was in the first 6 months of going GF/CF - some of it was even before I started Atkins. The remaining 3 1/2 years I've been working on digestive and fatigue issues, along with stuff like headaches. It's been very slow but definite progress. It would be nice to lose some more weight, and who knows, maybe I will someday, but if I do, it will come as a surprise.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 10:06
Experimenter

BF:

One of the things diet devotees get into is explaining away failures as either not enough time given for healing to take place or not strict enough adherence by the follower. Everyone uses that, the vegans, the fruitarians, every whack-o diet out there and the sane ones too.

At some point you just have to say, "This isn't working for me" and move on.

Tom Billings of beyondveg.com wrote really brilliant about it, wish I could find it. But this snippet says a lot:
Quote:
Denial and rationalization of persistently poor results. It is commonplace for conventional vegans to claim (with no credible proof) that all "failure to thrive" on the diet is really "failure to comply."
Or you're "detoxing" or "healing" or you're not perfect enough. Maybe the diet just doesn't work.

This is a good read. "Troubleshooting problems in raw food diets". If you have to start using some of those excuses, then maybe you're on the wrong diet.
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 10:24

BF:

Quote:
I've spent years nearly that way but for the caffeine and some of that involved long periods of no caffeine (very minimal PUFA and only the fructose in nonstarchy vegetables). But I'm not saying I am a barometer for everyone else's metabolism.

I was just asking this as a simple question. There could be so many things wrong with someone's metabolism. You could very well have other issues than the ones I have listed. There are no easy answers. It remains a personal quest, that is why we are all here on these forums.

Patrick