Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 00:22
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 176/176/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by che
I think 0 carbs more guarantees weight loss rather than makes it faster.

I've been following the Atkins plan as it is in the book. I only eat foods in the allowed list. It talks about allowed amounts and allowed foods, but doesn't say that a certain amount of carbs are a requirement. I haven't seen anywhere that it says carbs are a requirement at all. So, I don't understand why ppl feel that I'm not following Atkins. Where in the book did they read that carbs are required?

[B]The only thing I haven't been following in induction is the 8 8 oz glasses of water. I've been drinking a lot of water -- certainly more than I'm used to -- but I don't think I've reached the required amount yet. I suppose that's what's keeping me from losing weight?[B]

Drink more water. The body needs at least 8 glasses a day for regular metabolic reactions (this may vary depending on your size; larger people need more, smaller people less etc..) Even more water is required in the catabolism of fat; so you need more water if you are trying to burn fat for energy. How much water are you drink at the moment?

Last edited by Kerstina : Fri, Aug-21-09 at 00:50.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 07:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/186/148 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambimorph
lynys1980: your quote clearly states that you do not need any salad greens or other vegetables, only that *if* you do have any carbs, they mostly must be from salad greens or other vegetables. It's not a matter of interpretation, it's English. If you are reading it differently, I'd recommend taking a class in logic.

My quote comes directly from DANDR. Word for word. No logic needed there. Too bad the doc has passed, because this could very easily be settled by him; after all, he said it. I've never once said that you had to eat 20 grams of carbs. Not once. If you choose to eat no carbs for the rest of your life, have at er. However, if you DO eat carbs, most MUST come from salad greens and vegetables.

Perhaps a lesson in manners would suit you. (no question mark necessary; this is a statement, and well, also MY interpretation)

Last edited by lynys1980 : Fri, Aug-21-09 at 07:18.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 07:21

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynys1980
My quote comes directly from DANDR. Word for word. No logic needed there.

Ambimorph is correct. The quote was "Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables."

That doesn't say you must eat greens and vegetables. It doesn't even say you MUST eat carbs. It says you must not use your 20 grams (or less - which includes zero!) carb allotment for anything else, like twenty carb grams worth of cookies, for example.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 07:26

BF:

And, where did I say you had to eat 20 carbs? Point me to exactly where I said you had to eat 20 grams of carbs.

I quoted the Doc, who said that you are "allowed" 20 grams and most of those 20 grams (should you choose to eat them) MUST come from salad greens and vegetables.

That is what the book says. It does not say you must eat 20 grams, it says you are "allowed" 20 grams.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 07:53

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynys1980
Perhaps a lesson in manners would suit you. (no question mark necessary; this is a statement, and well, also MY interpretation)

You are quite right here, lynys. My manner of speaking was impatient and dismissive. I apologize for that. The content, though, I stand by.

Last edited by ambimorph : Fri, Aug-21-09 at 08:14.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 08:39

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/178.8/154 Female 5'4.5"
BF:

So to restate the original intent of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by che
Is anything wrong with consuming 0 carbs? I'm in the induction phase of Atkins.

Scotiagirl
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 08:52

BF:

It looks like it depends on whether you are doing DADR or DANDR, in which case the answer is no, or atkins.com, in which case the answer is yes.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 08:52

BF:

72 version....and after induction (edited because I made a mistake, I am sooo human )

"All that matters is that you add back to your diet a little carbohydrate at a time, and that you stop adding carbohydrate when you reach your CCL."

Ultimately, Dr. Atkins believed that you need to "Custom-tailor the diet to suit your own carbohydrate needs". IMO if he thought that 0 carb was the answer at the time he would have written a different version of his 72 diet. The plan would never include the possibility of adding any carbs back, it would have been a ZC plan, period.

Different people, different needs, different beliefs.
Have a great LC/ZC day
Scotiagirl

Last edited by ScotiaGirl : Fri, Aug-21-09 at 09:04.
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 08:55

BF:

ambimorph, we posted on top of each other

Scotiagirl
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 08:56

BF:

Quote:
You are quite right here, lynys. My manner of speaking was impatient and dismissive. I apologize for that. The content, though, I stand by.

I too will apologize for being "testy".

I got a little perturbed because it came across that I was being told I said something I did not say.

On topic...

For me, I will eat vegetables. It seems to work for me and I like them.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 17:38

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I don't have either of Atkins' books; would someone who does mind clarifying his rationale for eating vegetables? I can't tell from the comments whether he claimed you need the nutrients or whether it was just to add variety. If part of the diet is to take a high-strength multivitamin, does he say what additional critical nutrients you're getting from a couple handfuls of lettuce?
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 15:22

BF:

I've been looking through both, and can't find any direct answer to this question. Sorry!
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 16:30

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I've been looking through both, and can't find any direct answer to this question. Sorry!
Well heck, thanks anyway
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 14:12

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexicon
I don't have either of Atkins' books; would someone who does mind clarifying his rationale for eating vegetables?

Here are a few veggie quotes from the first few chapters of DANDR 2002
Quote:
The Atkins Nutritional Approach is composed of protein and fat, both essential to the human body, plus controlled quantities of the most nutrient-dense carbohydrates, primarily in the form of vegetables
Quote:
Vegetables do contain some carbohydrates, but they also contain a wide and wondrous variety of vitamins and minerals. However, you can eat plenty of vegetables with high concentrations of beneficial nutrients and still control your carbs.

During Induction, your primary source of fiber will be vegetables.
Quote:
Let us sing a song of veggies. Such beautiful, health-enhancing, varied foods. Adaptable to every cuisine worldwide, nothing in the world of cooking has more variety of taste and texture. I am waxing rhapsodic about vegetables, but their virtues are firmly grounded in scientific research.
Vegetables, if you choose the right ones, are very high-powered nutrient packages. These advantages come-once again if you choose your vegetables carefully-at a relatively low metabolic cost. That means that you are getting high fiber and phytochemicals with relatively low numbers of calories and carbohydrates.
So if some misguided individual tells you that you won't eat vegetables when you do Atkins, wave this chapter (with a stalk of celery, for good measure) at him or her. You will. And, it's just possible, if you are a typical American, that you will eat more vegetables than you ever ate before. Because despite what Mom, and countless other mothers before her, advised, most people do not eat nearly the amount of vegetables they should.
Quote:
Nature dovetails with the Atkins plan beautifully, and the vegetables densest in nutrients happen to be those lowest in carbs. Salad greens and other leafy greens-escarole, spinach, parsley, watercress, arugula, Boston and romaine lettuce-are nutrient powerhouses that are low on the glycemic index.
Some other excellent health choices include asparagus, bamboo shoots, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, collard greens, eggplant, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, okra, onions, pumpkin, scallions, snow peas, spaghetti squash, string or wax beans, Swiss chard, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts and zucchini.
Even during Induction, the first phase of Atkins, and the one which is most restrictive of carbohydrates, most of you will be able to eat one cup of those vegetables daily, as well as two cups of salad vegetables (or just three cups of salad vegetables). As your metabolism permits, most of you will add more vegetables during the increasingly liberal phases that follow.
Quote:
One way to look at nutrient value is to measure the concentration of antioxidants in food. Antioxidants are a special group of vitamins and phytochemicals that protect your cells from the ravages of environmental pollution, stress, disease and aging. Researchers at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston studied the antioxidant capacity of common vegetables and assigned each vegetable an antioxidant score. I've taken that score and divided it by the number of grams of carbohydrate in the same-size serving of each vegetable or fruit and thus computed what I now call the Atkins Ratio.
Look at the numbers in the Atkins Ratio below. As you can see, garlic is in a class by itself. The cruciferous vegetables-broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts and cabbage-which extensive research has shown to be a group of potent cancer fighters, are well up there. Onions also play a starring role. From this already rich list, let's identify some vegetable all-stars.
Atkins Ratio
Garlic (1 clove) 23.2
Leaf Lettuce (1 leaf) 8.2
Kale (1/2 cup raw) 6.5
Onion (1 tablespoon) 6.2
Spinach (1/2 cup raw) 5.0
Broccoli (1/2 cup raw) 3.2
Red Bell Pepper (1/2 cup raw) 2.5
Quote:
The world of vegetables is filled with natural chemicals that help protect you from illness. Scientists now call these defenders phytonutrients-phyto being Greek for plant. Here, for instance, are three phytonutrients that have been shown to lower the risk of cancer. Bear in mind that a complete list would be long enough to fill an entire book.
1. Beta carotene: You'll find a rich supply in green vegetables such as spinach, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and beans, as well as in squash, peppers and yams.
2. Lycopene: The king of this nutrient hill is the tomato, and there is very good reason to think it will help protect you from prostate cancer. Note, however, that fresh tomatoes contain less lycopene than tomato puree or tomato juice.
3. Lutein: This carotenoid has been identified with reduced breast cancer risk, and it can be found in kale, collard greens, spinach and yellow squash.
Quote:
Vegetables don't have to become your favorite food, but if you can lure yourself into dietary habits that put more of them on your plate than most Americans eat, you will be doing your noble, hard-working body an immense favor.
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 15:05

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Here are a few veggie quotes from the first few chapters of DANDR 2002
Thanks very much.