Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 07:39

Plan: lc my way
Stats: 285/207.6/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

good job merpig. Thats awesome.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:37

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Oh dear, what's the matter with your doggie? I have two dogs myself so can understand worries ....

She has been refusing breakfast (and it's been ground beef, pumpkin, whole-milk yogurt, and her vitamin -- she should find that yummy except for the vitamin) and then she fell about four feet onto her head. We were outside where she like to walk along a retaining wall like she's a cat. She saw a puppy and fell off the wall upside-down and landed right on her forehead. She was frozen and cowering for a good thirty seconds. I think it really hurt. Then she started to play with the puppy, like she was okay.

I'm trying to avoid a big vet bill because I'm not working right now. I decided not to take her because she seemed to recover but I feel horribly guilty about it.

And then I came in and typed my confused post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I'm down another pound today, that puts me at 287. Three last week, two so far this week. Woo hoo.

Good job, Debbie!
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:42

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I'm trying to avoid a big vet bill because I'm not working right now. I decided not to take her because she seemed to recover but I feel horribly guilty about it.

Oh wow, I can understand that. Vet bills can skyrocket through the roof before you know it! I think I'd have the mortgage on my house paid off if not for vet bills.

How old is she? I do hope her appetite returns soon.
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:50

BF:

She's 3 1/2.

She's been skipping breakfast and then eating dinner. Maybe she heard about intermittent fasting? And decided to go with the 23/1 plan? It's been a few days now.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 10:11

BF:

I said another stupid thing too, that I'd like to retract. I said the recommendations of Barry Groves and Dr. Kwas. were pretty similar. I've been reading Barry Groves; they're not. Groves is significantly different from Dr. Kwas.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 12:28

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan
Stats: 239/226/139 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I would like to join you all!

My goal is to lose 21 lbs by March 17th. That is the day I leave on vacation. I am going back home and the last time I was there I was pregnant with my DD. It would be really GREAT to be at my prePG weight! I have 12lbs to go!
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 12:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley0507
My goal is to lose 21 lbs by March 17th.

I'm assuming you mean by May 17. That's in 25 days. 12 pounds is pretty ambitious, but come along and join us!

If you're just starting out it may be feasible. The water weight lost in the first two weeks can be pretty substantial. Of course, water weight comes back on very fast so you'll have to continue to be diligent while you're there.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 12:59

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan
Stats: 239/226/139 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Yes, I meant May, oops. It's one of those goals that I will be THRILLED to make, but not mad at myself if I don't. I am just starting out and have lost 9lbs this past week. I know that is mostly water weight and don't expect to lose that much again this week. I am basing my goal on how much I lost my 1st go around on PP.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 14:52
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

My progress this challenge so far.

196.6 - 4/03/09
192.6 - 4/08/09
197.4 - 4/19/09
194.4 - 4/22/09

Still spinning my wheels in the mud, evidently. But I'm going to stick diligently to my Dr K ONP ratios the next 8 days and hope for a big finish!
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 08:14
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

196.6 - 4/03/09
192.6 - 4/08/09
197.4 - 4/19/09
194.4 - 4/22/09
193.8 - 4/23/09
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 11:12

BF:

You're doing well Karen! I'm sure you'd like to go faster, but you have both stopped your regaining trend and have lost 3 pounds! How do you like being on Kwas? Blood glucose okay?

I understand what you mean about finishing your diet trial. I committed to 2 months of IF and I'm going to stick it out, even though I suddenly feel like eating breakfast every day. I haven't made a very narrow eating window; it's not too rigid. I seem to be moving it to earlier in the day.
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:37
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Too soon to say. I've been bouncing around this same number range for the past year. But I'm hopeful.

MY FBG this morning was 141, continuing an upward creeping trend. That's the highest it's been in 1 year and a half. Makes no sense since I really haven't upped my carbs, I've just swapped fat for protein. And fat isn't supposed to raise BS. If anything, it should improve. Not ready to blame the diet yet, since my testing has been lacadaisical. I need to do a lot more to see what's happening. A FBG reading once or twice a week, the way I've been doing the last 6 months or so, is laziness on my part.

It's strange how things can work brilliantly for a while, and then stop working. Are you seeing any kind of results from IF?
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 13:53

BF:

I made several changes at once, so it's hard to know what's working, but something's working. I started to take melatonin at night, it seems to have restored my energy in the daytime, or maybe that the adrenal optimizer formula with rhodiola and eleuthero root. Good thing, I was nearly catatonic. The progesterone cream and DIM still haven't arrived.

I also got rid of the almond flour muffins I was eating. By doing that I got rid of both nuts and artificial sweetener. I was sorry to see them go, they were very yummy, but something had to change.

I also have been doing IF which I think has got to be part of it.

Karen, there's an interesting discussion of Kwas going on in the paleo forum. Pangolina is making recommendations to Nancy LC who has gained six pounds on Kwas. Pangolina is the one who has read the books. It starts at about post 122:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=7795247
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 07:56

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Karen, there's an interesting discussion of Kwas going on in the paleo forum. Pangolina is making recommendations to Nancy LC who has gained six pounds on Kwas. Pangolina is the one who has read the books. It starts at about post 122:http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=7795247

I'll have to check out the Paleo thread. I had not realized there was one there as I am not on paleo so check there infrequently, and have only been following the 'General low carb" threads.

The Kwas thing does seem to be working for me. I'm down another half pound today - 286.5. On this plan I certainly don't lose every day but I've noticed one odd thing about it (which probably will not last, but I've only been on it two weeks so far). When I hit a new LOW I tend to stay there, and the scale does not change much until finally it drops to a newer low.

This is unlike "regular" LC where it seemed every time I hit a new low meant that the next day the scale would bounce back up 3-4 pounds and then I would take days to work my way back to the new low again. Then if I managed to get lower than that to a newer low I would see the scale bounce back up again the next day, etc.

And I just *added* some almond meal muffins to my diet as one of the ways to try to get my carbs to the recommended Kwas level. I'm supposed to have 52g a day of carbs on his ratios but I have trouble getting them up that high on most days. It's a special Kwas recipe that includes 15 eggs!

But the scale is still moving. Maybe getting below 285 is a reasonable goal for April now.
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 10:03
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Wouldn't that be wonderful Debbie? And to think how discouraged and sure you couldn't get the scale moving you were at the beginning of this challenge!

My weight loss pattern on LC all the while I was moving through the 200's was just as you described...hit a new low, bounce up, spend weeks working down again, then whoosh to a new low, bounce back up, repeat....

It's not long enough for me to know if this pattern will be different on ON. I will need to hit the 180's and stay there before I can say with any certainty it's working and I've made progress. I've been bumping around in these 190's for a year, despite trying very hard.

196.6 - 4/03/09
192.6 - 4/08/09
197.4 - 4/19/09
194.4 - 4/22/09
193.8 - 4/23/09
192.2 - 4/24/09

But my hopes are starting to rise, despite my best efforts to keep them in check. That weigh this morning was after IF-ing yesterday, then eating a big order (about 12) of breaded fried chicken livers at a bar last night. With ranch dipping sauce and a side salad also w/ranch. When I got home, I calculated the protein on the livers alone to be about 80, so I ate some buttered (3.5T) LC snack crackers trying to get my fat ratio up. I would have needed another 100 grams of fat to achieve the correct ratios, so my ratios were not right yesterday, but I was still down this morning.

My FBG was 139 this morning. Last night, 2 hours after dinner, they were only 116. So something is causing a rise in the night.