Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 11:07

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 276/241/199 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjtmiller
If you're "planning" your cheat, then why not "plan" not to go overboard?

That's what I meant...but is was worded funny. Maybe the quotes should have been over the "cheat" instead. So yeah...we're planning our "cheat" and will try not to go overboard.

Wow, Miller--you're getting on everyone's case. I hope you're just looking out for us...and not trying to put us down.

Last edited by mzsunrize : Mon, Oct-15-07 at 14:07.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 13:04

Plan: GLC
Stats: 145/139/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 30%

I will be enjoying stuffing, turkey, and maybe a tiny bit of pie on thanksgiving, but will be back to lc-ing the following day. I am lucky that I have the mindset now to be able to make it one meal and not several days of cheating. I love Thanksgiving and can not wait to spend it with family. My aunt's raisin crumb pie is amazing and I've looked forward to it every year since I can remember.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
You could use a low carb bread?

No, because I make cornbread dressing and there really isn't a substitute that works.

I eat 1/2 c of dressing, which contains 16 net carbs. The only other carby dish I eat on Thanksgiving is a slice of crustless pumpkin cheesecake made with liquid Splenda, and that's not very carby at 3.5 g. It's more carbs than I usually eat but not enough to cause any problems.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 182/125/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsunrize
That's what I meant...but is was worded funny. Maybe the quotes should have been over the "cheat" instead. So yeah...we're planning our "cheat" and will try not to go overboard.

Wow, Miller--you're getting on everyone's case. I hope you're just looking out for us...and not trying to put us down.

Not trying to put anyone down... everybody has to make their own decision.

I though this was a discussion... one person says something, another person says something... etc.

I've seen a lot of people go off the deep end over the holidays... sometimes it's just in how we think about food and events and whatever. If Thanksgiving is a good cheat day, then why not <insert day here>? See how the thinking can start?

I thought it might be helpful to look at things with a different spin... don't know how that's putting someone down.

One thing I've learned is that what anybody else eats on any given day or at any event... doesn't change what I eat. If someone is going to eat off plan, eat 1/2 a pie, not eat off plan, whatever on whatever day... it doesn't change my decisions.

It's also interesting wording... you're going to "try" to not go overboard. Maybe if you "planned" not to, you might not go overboard.

Again... no put down... it's just that our use of language impacts our thinking... try isn't as positive as "plan".

My take on it all...
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 15:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
No, because I make cornbread dressing and there really isn't a substitute that works.

I eat 1/2 c of dressing, which contains 16 net carbs. The only other carby dish I eat on Thanksgiving is a slice of crustless pumpkin cheesecake made with liquid Splenda, and that's not very carby at 3.5 g. It's more carbs than I usually eat but not enough to cause any problems.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried something like this as the basis?

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mock_corn_bread.html

Don't know how the taste would compare...

On the whole, I do believe we can eat on the edge of the carb ladder at times... it's sometimes just picking what's important to you.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 15:46

Plan: GLC
Stats: 145/139/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 30%

I'm planning on trying out that cornbread this week sometime. I'm excited to see how it compares, as I love cornbread.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 16:09

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 276/241/199 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Not trying to put anyone down... everybody has to make their own decision.

I though this was a discussion... one person says something, another person says something... etc.

I've seen a lot of people go off the deep end over the holidays... sometimes it's just in how we think about food and events and whatever. If Thanksgiving is a good cheat day, then why not <insert day here>? See how the thinking can start?

I thought it might be helpful to look at things with a different spin... don't know how that's putting someone down.

One thing I've learned is that what anybody else eats on any given day or at any event... doesn't change what I eat. If someone is going to eat off plan, eat 1/2 a pie, not eat off plan, whatever on whatever day... it doesn't change my decisions.

It's also interesting wording... you're going to "try" to not go overboard. Maybe if you "planned" not to, you might not go overboard.

Again... no put down... it's just that our use of language impacts our thinking... try isn't as positive as "plan".

My take on it all...

I won't lie--I'm easily persuaded, hence the "try".

Or...I could stay home for the damn holiday with a rotisserie chicken and a can of green beans.

It's all sarcasm..so don't take me seriously. Geesh..
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 16:13

Plan: Atkins-IF
Stats: 180/169/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I did like eating stuffing and mashed potatoes and pie. But if I even eat a piece of toast now, my body rejects it. I can't imagine what it would do with all that garbage and I don't want to find out! :x

I'm going to stay home and cook for myself.

The best thing about this time of year is you can get turkey for practically nothing and cook up a bunch of stuff to freeze for quick meals later on.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 16:14
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsunrize
I won't lie--I'm easily persuaded, hence the "try".

Or...I could stay home for the damn holiday with a rotisserie chicken and a can of green beans.

It's all sarcasm..so don't take me seriously. Geesh..

I find that people write what they believe...

I don't think that staying at home is the answer... you'll just have to find your own way through this.

Maybe practicing "No, thank you" before you go...? <smile>
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 16:42
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Maybe practicing "No, thank you" before you go...? <smile>

I've stayed at home the past couple of Thanksgivings, more because of my current marital status and the emotional pain that goes with holidays than because of dietary temptations....but I haven't given up eating with other people at other times, and generally find that a simple, pleasant, "No thank you" works just fine. No need to argue.

I have no family left, and friends don't seem to have the need to talk me into "just one bite". I may be cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year for the first time in three years....and the one thing I'll have that isn't lc is gravy. My favourite part of Thanksgiving dinner is the turkey skin, anyhow. I've come close to serving a naked turkey at times over the years....

But if mincemeat pie is what makes Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving to you, you should plan ahead to make it work.

Kay, wondering if one could make hard sauce with granulated Splenda
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 09:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/146.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:I'm losing it!
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
I've stayed at home the past couple of Thanksgivings, more because of my current marital status and the emotional pain that goes with holidays than because of dietary temptations....but I haven't given up eating with other people at other times, and generally find that a simple, pleasant, "No thank you" works just fine. No need to argue.

I have no family left, and friends don't seem to have the need to talk me into "just one bite". I may be cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year for the first time in three years....and the one thing I'll have that isn't lc is gravy. My favourite part of Thanksgiving dinner is the turkey skin, anyhow. I've come close to serving a naked turkey at times over the years....

But if mincemeat pie is what makes Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving to you, you should plan ahead to make it work.

Kay, wondering if one could make hard sauce with granulated Splenda
Hi TarHeel! I think a person could even convert gravy to low carb with Not So Thick and Thin Cornstarch. I've never tried it, but alot of people use it and seem to like it. You can order it through Netrition. I also would like to say to everyone else that I think sjmiller isn't trying to be mean. I think she doesn't want to see people fall off the wagon because it's just soooo hard to get back on. Maybe not for everyone, but come on let's face it, we wouldn't be in this predicament if we had a healthy attitude about food in the first place. I know I don't. If I eat one piece of pie then I'll probably eat 1/2 the pie. Probably not the same day, but I'd wait until everyone else goes home and then have a serious binge. ( I like to do this when I'm alone.) For most of us food is an addiction and I care about everyone here so I don't like to see people feed their addictions. I've been on low carb two times before and both times quit after justifing my bad habits on Thanksgiving, Halloween, and Christmas. I'm sorry, I just feel concern for others and don't want to see them in the same boat that I've been on. I'll get off my soap box now.
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 10:21

Plan: Atkins/m&e/VLC
Stats: 178.8/167.0/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Sophia1- these are my feelings/fears exactly. I don't trust myself to get back on track.

I plan on making my version of a LC thanksgiving and taking it with me! I will not be counting every last carb though as long as I stick to my LC safe foods. Christmas may be more difficult since we will be visiting my grandparents for a week. My grandmother(75) loves to cook and eat (carbs carbs and more carbs) and gets offended easily. I don't want to cause problems and I am very concerned about what to do. Any ideas...?

I do have a question. I have read about re-feeding. Eating carbs for a day and then getting a big weight loss after returning to LC. Does this really work?
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 10:27
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawaysol
Sophia1- these are my feelings/fears exactly. I don't trust myself to get back on track.

I plan on making my version of a LC thanksgiving and taking it with me! I will not be counting every last carb though as long as I stick to my LC safe foods.

I do have a question though. I have read about re-feeding. Eating carbs for a day and then getting a big weight loss after returning to LC. Does this really work?

Refeeds and free meals can work. Some lc plans even call for it. My friend here, Lovemygsds, was trying a psmf with refeeds and free meals, and it worked for her. Her plan was different than atkins, but it did work. I think it all depends on what you are eating before and after, if you are working out, etc. Sorry I cant give scientific facts, but if you do a search, you'll find lots on it.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 10:31

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

I totally agree, sjmiller always speaks from the heart, whether you agree with her or not. The fact that her opinions/insights are presented in a straight forward manner, sans the sugar coating, may put some off. I find it refreshing and more in tune with my style of putting it on the table and calling a spade a spade. Rationalizations and self deception are watch words for most of us in terms of how we justified our eating. This WOL requires honesty about oneself and our predilictions or it is doomed to fail.

Just my two cents.
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 10:39

Plan: Low Carb/Gluten Free/IF
Stats: 310.0/302.2/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think re-feeding is very dangerous, but I know it does work for some people....

It's just like a lot of this discussion about Thanksgiving---the most important things, I think, are these-----can you get right back onto plan the next day, and, are you going to be thrown by the weight you'll probably gain or is this going to turn into justification for blowing your diet for the next two months and having to start again in January 20lbs heavier and down on yourself?

Thanksgiving is a no brainer holiday for me as I absolutely love Turkey and it's just going to be my little family, so staying on plan is easy. I do have to think about what I'm going to do for the December holidays though, as we are hosting a big family dinner at our house, and some very nummy dishes will be coming to join the feast.

That said, my plan is to stay on plan, but this being a way of life that plan may include a higher carb count for the big holiday meal--not a blow it out count or gain weight count---but a little higher---as I generally stay about 20-25 carbs daily, so I may go up to 50-60 for that day----adding in some nice veggies (my niece is vegetarian and brings some wonderful dishes) or perhaps a few bites of huckleberry cobbler.

I'm going to do some research in Fitday so I'm equipped to make good choices, and if none of the above appeals to me, I'll stay within my carbs.

Ruth