Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 04:18

Plan: South Beach (restart)
Stats: 330/267.5/190 Female 65"
BF:47.5%
Progress: 45%

I won't miss getting out of a plastic patio chair and having it stick to my hips!!! How embarrassing!

I won't miss the dread and fear that I won't fit in the airplane seat, theatre seat, booth at the restaraunt!

I won't miss the negativity and guilt after an out of control binge!

Okay, I might miss sugar and flour and wheat a little bit, but being able to feel lighter in my skin makes it worth it.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 05:21
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

The best thing about being fat for me was that I always look beyond the outside of a person now, if the outside is perfect, and the inside is warped, I no longer admire them. I date people for who they are today, not what they look like.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 07:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I won't miss the vast sums I used to spend on carb binges. Going to the grocery store is no longer the high point of my day/or week. It's much more likely to be a weekly chore these days.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 12:46

Plan: my own
Stats: 286/168/- Male 5'7
BF:almost.
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddie01
The best thing about being fat for me was that I always look beyond the outside of a person now, if the outside is perfect, and the inside is warped, I no longer admire them. I date people for who they are today, not what they look like.

yes! being overweight, extremely like me, changes the way you view world and how you interact with people. It made me see people on the inside. However, being overweight made me also very easy to compromise how I was treated. I won't miss that.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/I have celiac
Stats: 282/195.5/160 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 71%

I won't miss a thing...
I won't miss all the rolls of fat
I won't miss not being able to roll over very well
I won't miss not being able to go jogging yet walking
I won't miss not being able to run with my son at the park
I won't miss having the cute boys not even look at me

I love smilling now
I love running around and playing with my son
I love how hot guys "double take" me when I walk by
I love dating guys that I thought were way out of my league

Still have alot to go, but so far so good :-)
  #81   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 19:47
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's interesting to read what I wrote a year ago.

Now I realize I was more afraid of being thin, or not understanding what it really means to live as a thin person, than missing anything about being fat. Thin was like this impossible dream. When I got it, it was also scary and I was more visable. Confusion and not knowing how to deal with the sudden change were the real issues, not "missing" fat.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 23:55
Registered Member

Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%
Default What will I miss about letting go of FAT?

Great topic. I suspect I shall miss the barriers I've laid on to keep folks at a distance. I weighed 180 at 5'10" at 26 and did not know what it was to have a tummy that was not flat and firm. Ah, ignorance. What bliss. Weight shot up to more than double in a brief period so that I was ungainly fat by 30 and spent some years finding my way back from unsuccessful WLS (reversed). Now at 62, I see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I think I'm ready to let go of some of this armor I've been wearing. Is it too late? Possibly. But if not now, then when? -Zer (beginning to feel more at home on this forum, thanks to many kind souls on the same journey; lead on, I'm listening)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeman
There are too many advantages to being smaller and healthier. However what will you miss as you get thinner. This weekend I was sitting on a bench and I was unable to get comfortable and that is when I realised that I no longer had my built in BUTT CUSHION.... Just when I thought I could sit anywhere since I actually fit, I find a new (much easier to handle) hurdle to overcome. Dave.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 10:21
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
I know the one thing I will miss when I'm not fat:

The fact that if a guy hits on me, its because of me not my body.
When I am thinner, I won't have that security.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 10:32

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 160.6/160.6/121 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I dont know if this is what one calls "missing"
but right now i am always preoccupied with thoughts of my fat... I spend every waking moment lamenting about it... and once it's gone, I guess i'll miss lamenting...
God!!I'll have so much spare time
But i have 36 lbs to lose.... so i guess i won't be missin' anything for a while ;-)
  #85   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessara
I know the one thing I will miss when I'm not fat:

The fact that if a guy hits on me, its because of me not my body.
When I am thinner, I won't have that security.

That isn't even necessarily true... a lot of guys purposely seek out women they think have few options precisely because they think they are safe. Meaning, a lot of guys go with a really heavy girl because they think she's easier to control, or not as threatening, or somehow safer than a thin woman. In my experience, it is an illusion that there is safety and protection in being fat. Changing the shape and size of your body doesn't stop people from judging or being superficial... all it does is change what they think of you and why they think it.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 13:49

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel
I think it is that thing where you can eat what you want and not be "accountable" for it, because after all what's a few more pounds on an already overly fat body? I have to watch everything carefully now and I hate that

I will miss my oblivion. I will miss turning a blind eye to my lifelong problem and pretending that I'm just eating lunch and that there are no real consequences to my actions.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 14:23
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

I was going to say that i'd miss not worrying about what i ate. But now that i think of it....even after eating my favorite junk...i still thought to myself "maybe i woudln't be so fat if i could just stop eating these things"...and i wasn't able to control my cravings..food controlled me. I can't say that i'll miss being fat...not one bit. I just have to learn to get used to the new me.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 14:38
Registered Member

Default Aghhh! Compromise? I'm not the only who sold out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin
...being overweight made me also very easy to compromise how I was treated. I won't miss that.
Yes, I'm just beginning to see how many times I've compromised, accepted the short end of the stick, accepted being put down or left out or passed over. Even when I asked for equal opportunities, I came to believe that it was reasonable to be ignored when favors were given out. Looking back, I can see how many times I ought to have objected or refused what was offered to me in lieu of what I myself offered. Whose fault? Mine. Painful to admit it. Glad to see it, at last.

However, the light having dawned, I now decline offers to hang on to the short end of the stick. It no longer seems to be enough for me. I deserve better. I offer better. I think writing online has helped me to see how often I shortchanged myself by accepting less than I offer. I can now see why my friends were pained by my compromising myself that way. So late, but better late than never. Thanks to the writers at this site, for helping me see. -Zer
  #89   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 14:42
Registered Member

Default Obliviosity. Denial. Cloaks to hide behind? Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I will miss my oblivion. I will miss turning a blind eye to my lifelong problem and pretending that I'm just eating lunch and that there are no real consequences to my actions.
Gee, this really sums up my glide from chubby to fat to obese. I just pretended consequences don't exist. Fact is, I'm toting around all the consequences, step by step, today. -Zer (who now better understands that DENIAL IS NOT JUST A RIVER IN EGYPT)
  #90   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 14:51
Registered Member

Default Oh, you mean THIN is not the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
It's interesting to read what I wrote a year ago.

Now I realize I was more afraid of being thin, or not understanding what it really means to live as a thin person, than missing anything about being fat. Thin was like this impossible dream. When I got it, it was also scary and I was more visable. Confusion and not knowing how to deal with the sudden change were the real issues, not "missing" fat.
Great topic! Something to think about even as we work at paring down layers of insulation, tearing down defenses and excavating the thin person within. Thanks for laying out what MIGHT be one of the hurdles to losing weight - a fear of living thin, a fear that fat is not the only impediment to living well. Egad! Who knew? -Zer (who sometimes stumbles after losing 10%, feeling almost giddy with delight, and then finds ways to gain it all back again, without a clue WHY it happens)