Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 15:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
As it turns out, the low sugar symptoms I was experiencing might not have been low sugar at all. I think it was low blood pressure as a result of drinking far too much water for the paltry amout of salt I was consuming.

Nope. Symptoms of hypotension are: dizziness, blurred vision, lightheadedness, fainting, (rarely) palpitations.
Symptoms of hypoglycemia are: sweating, shakiness, dizziness, blurred vision, hunger, tingling hands or lips, slurred speach, headache. If left untreated, hypoglyemic attacks can lead to loss of consciousness.
See a doctor. Self-diagnosing ("I think it was...") can be dangerous.

As for your "reported symptoms" list, the survery was skewed in that PETA (aka Atkinsdietalert.org) only solicited (and reported) comments from those that actually experienced negative side effects from low carbing. If they had actually factored in ALL reponses, or did a random survey of low carbers, those results would have been drastically different. PETA is hardly an accurate OR unbiased source of information when it comes to low carbing.

Quote:
And about my body fat- believe it. It comes from running and swimming and cycling many times a week.

BTW...you did know that overexercising coupled with insufficient intake to support that excercise does more harm than good, right? Going all day without eating and then excercising strenuously on top of it = bad idea.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 18:17
Registered Member

Plan: 6:00PM BREAKFAST
Stats: 282/234/202 Male 6 feet 5 inches
BF:24%/16%/6%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickySail
Wildcard,

If you want people to bless your avoidance of what most of the dieting and bodybuilding community at large seems to believe is the best way to preserve muscle, increase metabolism and keep blood sugars level, then I don't think you're going to get it, no matter how long this thread gets.

who needs the blessings of anybody when my body is having the time of its life.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 18:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 2//50 Female 60''
BF:
Progress: 44%

It's like deja vu all over again!
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 06:32

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

OK, I've got it now. 24YO + education = immortal.

Since you've heard all the warnings from the others on this forum, I'm not gonna add any more, because it's pointless. Enjoy your thinning self, and I'm outa here.

Vicky

Last edited by VickySail : Wed, Aug-18-04 at 06:38.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 19:58

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I believe that when a person has lived a lifetime on a low carb diet, fasting does not become an issue...it is natural and necessary for survival. I recall reading in my history class that Native Americans commonly spent winters without a whole lot of food. The early settlers thought that they were too lazy to hunt for food.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard
Skipping Meals Might Offer Health Gains
Ben Harder

People assume that the ideal meal schedule spreads calorie intake over the course of the day: Never skip breakfast, keep your blood sugar on an even keel, and all that. But Mark Mattson, a neuroscientist at the National Institute on Aging in Baltimore, suspects that conventional wisdom may be due for an overhaul.

<snip>

Methinks those mice basically were put on CAD.

Instead of eating lots of sugar all day, like the other mice, they ate a tremendous amount in one sitting.
If you are going to consume a relatively high sugar diet, like the sort fed to mice in a lab, it's of course better to eat less frequently. Your body produces less insulin when high-carb meal frequency is reduced, even if the same amount of carbs are consumed with less frequent meals (there is a physiologically valid explanation for this).

This isn't news to LCers.

Now the question is, is eating more frequently from a low carb diet bad for insulin sensitivity as well? I seriously doubt it. The benefits of meal condensation are relevant only to sugar. This is only relevant in a high carbohydrate context. If anything, skipping meals on a very low carbohydrate diet can be bad for your health. Low carbing puts your body in a state which makes catabolism very easy, unlike a high carb diet. By "easy", I mean your body has no problem shifting over to synthesizing muscle into glucose via gluconeogenesis and body fat into ketones via lipolysis without one iota of protest. On a higher carb diet, your body will beg and plead for food first, making meal initation more likely. Furthermore, it (muscle and fat from the body) is the only place for the body to get energy from during a fast on a LC diet. On a high carb diet, the body will consume glycogen first before attacking muscle.

For these reasons (your body gladly consumes itself and is unlikely to ask for food via hunger pangs, also your body has no stored sugar to draw from and goes straight for muscle in absence of dietary protein to fill sugar needs), going a long time without eating when carbs are very restricted is a recipe for muscle loss.

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Tue, Aug-24-04 at 22:49.