Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 07:36

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Thanks!

Oh yes, I would absolutely encourage anyone who thinks they should stay on their meds to do so! We had decided when I started, to stop them in the Spring after I made it through the winter since my SAD should be better and my job is ending soon (a VERY good thing). Hope it helps me start losing again!

-animaldoc
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 12:41

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Talking Jobs...

animaldoc and anyone else...

I lost my job in January'02 and my stress level is for all purposes is non existant! Despite crushing depression despite medication (Wellbutrin 2X a day) but just as I have done for the last 35 years, I just keep going, kinda like that darn enegizer bunny. I have been at the effect of persons 1/2 my age since interviewing and rejection is largely based on very real age discrimination.

Realizing full well there is nothing I can do to overcome the way they feel about hiring someone their fathers age and other biases. I'm doing what I can, I've lost over 100 lbs to date, I'm 72% of the way to my goal. I've shaved my mustashe and am dying my hair some what darker as I'm almost totally gray. It really bothers me that we have seemed to have gotten to a place where experience and abilities don't seem to matter, just youth and enthusiam.

Well good luck to you all and good luck in your search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimbo 4s.jpg (6.8 KB, 55 views)
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 93.6/94.32/68
BF:
Progress: -3%

I think you look very sexy and very employable. If they don't hire you for the sophisticated atmosphere you would bring to a workplace then they are mad.

I can identify with you a bit, I had to get through the child bearing years to be taken seriously in the workplace.

Frances
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 18:22

BF:
Talking Thank you Dear One...

Frances;

Frances;

Thank you for your special kindness and words of encouragement. It gives me a boost. I truly know what you mean, I watched my wife hit the "Glass Ceiling" while she was VP of New Store Construction at See’s Candy, Little Cesars Pizza, while she was making a very good income, the board rooms were "Off Limits" in those companies anyway, and when she lost her vision, they fired her w/o cause. That’s speaking of See’s on that one.

Today she runs a business accounting and tax service out of our home. There is always a way to provide, I’m currently looking and in the process and doing my "due diligence" before I start a business representing other manufacturers product as a independent agent. I truly believe that… " where He guides, He provides."

Thank you again. Jim
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 18:45
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 235/215/200
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Jimsgems & Others

I agree with Frances . . . You are quite handsome.

Where he guides, he provides. Isn't that the truth. You seem to be pretty much at peace with the world. How are you guided?

I study A Course in Miracles. The premise of which is to surrender everything and let happen what needs to happen. Not a simple task; well, actually quite simple if we can just do it.

This has brought some peace to my chaotic world. For that, I am most grateful.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 20:10

BF:
Default Thank you, again.

SPECIAL be warned, Christian Values will be expressed below if that cause any personal discomfort… Please don’t read any further. The "G" & "J" word will be used in my testament, well actually it my way of answering a question.

I am a rabid, Bible believing Christian. I was raised In the Baptist church and later we moved to what is called the "Frozen Chosen" (that’s an inside joke) we worship with a Presbyterian, USA congregation, I’m currently an Ordained Elder in the church and I have sung in the choir for 16 +years.

I amalmost in spite of myself, at times; very calm and even somewhat mellow. I do have a very hard side and I try daily to keep my angry side in the barn and bedded down. I was a Airborne Ranger (Green Beret, before it was cool) and served in Vietnam, twice and still carry the scars, both foreign and domestic, the injuries and scars I got in Vietnam have healed, the ones I got here at home are slower to heal, but they are and they will. I was also in Police work as a Crime Scene Investigator as a sworn officer, until I was run over by a fleeing felon, almost killing me and causing me lots of pain and discomfort, I couldn't work for almost two years, six major operations and 16 years later, I'm doing really well. I have forgiven the man who ran me over and the local DA who gave him a sentence in a plea bargain of 18 days in jail. Hey, I don’t call it the Justice System, for there isn’t much fairness, you just have to let go of the awful feeling , they can really burn you up inside.

I constantly work towards my salvation and that of others, I chose the vehicle of music as a ministry. I sing in addition to the choir at church with a Southern Gospel Quartet, Living Faith is the group name, we sing concerts in nursing homes, hospitals, churches and almost any where we can call a group together, we will sing. We are currently working on a CD Project as it’s euphemistically called in the music industry jargon, believe you will all know when it is produced.

I take my cares and woes to the foot of the Cross, everyday and I pick them up almost at the same time, like He doesn’t know, but, I am learning the path by traveling it. I’m not a sidewalk preacher by any means, I think that is rude, but my music is for the Glory of my God and His Son, Jesus Christ. I call from Him to gather others by word and song. I rest calmly in His arms and am calmed by His presents in my life and His Works. Amen and Amen

Sermon and my testament closed.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 21:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default A Recovering Baptist

I grew up in Tennessee, in the country, as a Baptist. The Baptist church played a very important part in my life. It was through the church that I was able to feel attached and cared for. Everything happened with the people at church. For that I feel great gratitude.

However, as I approached adulthood, I became angry with God. I felt betrayed; if there was a god, then, I didn't want to know him/her. I felt god had played a cruel joke on me by placing me in such an abusive and chaotic family.

Then, I took an astronomy class at University of Michigan. I was overwhelmed by the massiveness of the universe. Then, I knew for sure that life as presented in the Baptist Church could not have meaning.

I know what you mean by the singing. I was always moved deeply by the songs of the church. I felt so close to god during the songs.

I rebelled against god for many years. Then, I heard about Marianne Williamson's book, A Return to Love, about 10 years ago. It took me 6 mos. to pick it up; I was embarassed to look at a book that had god and Jesus in it.

Then a friend talked to me about A Course in Miracles. Again, I was embarassed that he was talking about Jesus in public.

Somewhere along the line, I fell to my knees and rekindled my loving relationship with a power much greater than me. I am comfortable saying God, Jesus, or whatever. I know where to go every day and I know where to go when I need help.

Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for your involvement in Vietnam. My brothers were there and my friend died there at age 19. I am sorry for the treatment that all of you received when you returned home. It was inexcusable.

I salute your ability to forgive and to persevere.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 22:30

BF:
Talking After...

I know what you are saying, I had a 20 year detour into the belief that a loving God could never ever let me do some of the killing, murders and other genuine awful stuff I have done in the name of God and Country. I couldn’t forgive myself, I was a successful jewelry designer and manufacturer and made more money than I would have held as impossible. I fell into drugs and drink trying to cover up the demons and one day I got it! I got it that I was killing myself and I quit everything at that moment and no drugs or drink in 18 years. I had by that time had several families or at least wives, I was a tough person to live with and I suffered fools badly, and I was the worst fool of them all. When I got that everything else fell back into place. I went back to church and found the kind of forgiveness by pure Grace and not by works of any kind, certainly not by me. I found even the wealth in my heart to forgive others and most of all, to forgive myself, that was much harder than I would have ever thought. I hope you continue on your journey, that He makes your way easy, that you are kept safe from the things of the world that you really don’t need and that the words; "He Loves You, connects directly to your heart and your head.
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 01:43

BF:
Talking Another Journey...

Dear Ones;

In my search for a more youthful appearance , here is my progression. I'd really like to know what you like, don't like or...

Last Week...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thesingerrsmall320x.jpg (5.7 KB, 44 views)
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 01:44

BF:
Default Yesterday...

This way yesterday... No mustache, OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimbo 4small320x.jpg (7.8 KB, 46 views)
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 01:46

BF:
Default Today...

This is today... No mustashe, dye job and a haircut. OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimbo 6small320x.jpg (8.6 KB, 43 views)
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 16:52
Registered Member

BF:
Default It's just my opinion...............

............but I like the grey hair better. But then I have a thing for men with grey hair, so I maybe biased.

Frances
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 19:01
Registered Member

BF:

Hi, Frances . . . I can't believe you're sitting in Australia and we're chatting here. Wow, how did all of this happen?

Jim, you look great either way.

Thanks for the kind words. I look at everything that has happened in my life as leading me to where I am today. Without the experiences, I wouldn't be able to do what I do today. I truly have taken lemons and made lots of lemonade.

I work in a high school. I wrote grants and brought in money to do all of the things for kids that are usually not possible. For example, I have a group of kids I have worked with for 7 years in school. I was their teacher in middle school; now, I'm not teaching, but just looking after them. Many are living in out of friends homes, etc. The graduating seniors will have access to prom tickets, tuxedos, dresses, pictures, etc. They have been supported with tutoring, food, clothing, etc.

My experiences have allowed me to empathize with their needs, to connect with them in a non-judgemental way.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 19:03

BF:
Default I like it too!

Dear One from Down Under;

You are kind; I like it too! I feel uncomfortable about this because it is a bit dishonest. I have a wife and family to support and an expensive race car too! So I gotta do, what needs to be done for the short term, for my economic survival in the long run and what’s better for me and my family.

I feel like I've earned each and every strand of gray hair I have left but, here in the states, age, experience and how young you are seems to mean more that the "real" stuff that really matters. Does this make sense?

EveLee; You are an inspiration, you are wonderful.

Well, I off to sing, see ya all later. Bye for now (TTFN) J
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 19:18
Registered Member

BF:

It's pretty cool isn't it EveLee,

I love these forums and listening to all of you, I wonder if we could be as open if we were face to face..........writing your feelings down is a great uninhibitor.

Frances