Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 12:44

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Oops, sorry angeline.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 12:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Actually those numbers are from the US and are titled "Odds of Death Due to Injury, United States, 2001." The numbers are from the link that was quoted by CC so I'm not responsible for its accurary or lack thereof

The difference is all deaths vs. deaths from external causes. The 18% would be of those who died from external causes. The 1% would be of everybody who died that year. You need to add in all those who died from internal causes such as Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Cancer, and all the nasty stuff that a High Carb/High Trans-Fat Diet causes.

As for the numbers, it should be noted that over half of gun deaths are suicides. I don't believe you can prevent suicide by removing one means of it. If less people owned guns, there'd be more suicides from pills, razors, hangings, etc...I'll have to lookup the actual numbers, but I've been told Japan's suicide rate is much higher than the US. From what I heard, hanging is their prefered method of suicide.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 13:01

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Regarding health care in Canada, I find it to be quite adequate. 40 years ago I had to wait hours to see my dermatologist because there were only 3 in the entire city and my condition was not life threatening and I was in high school and didn't mind being off school for half the day. By the time I became old and sick, services improved and when I had my stroke I was well taken care of. What makes the difference is not the health care system itself but individuals. I have been treated by doctors/nurses who were exceptional, loving, caring and gentle, and by those who were rushed, uncaring and downright rude and insulting. I have worked since I was 14 years of age, continue to pay taxes, am not rich, don't drink, have no savings and no RRSP's, but I am extremely grateful that I am at least able to get medical care when it is needed.