Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 11:28

Plan: My Plan!
Stats: 241/189/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 54%

In case no one mentioned this...

When I need a nice professional stylish suit, I look for the Elisabeth line that is carried by many department stores. There is also a website: www.elisabeth.com This line is sized 14W - 24W. It is Liz Claiborne's line of women's clothing, and the items that I have seem good quality. It can be very expensive, but there are occasionally good sales.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 01:39

Plan: sugar bad, gluten worse
Stats: 230/191/160 Female 65 inches
BF:too/too/much
Progress: 56%
Default love you peaches

love your peaches i found this while out for a cyper stroll. kinda expensive but great looking stuff. want a suede coat? or a bikini? sizes 1x-6x. oh, and real size models, too!
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 10:59
Undercover Goddess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/304.2/180 Female 71 inches
BF:Half Price Special
Progress: 31%

I didn't see one of my favs listed.

http://www.kiyonna.com/
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 06:26

Plan: South Beach (restart)
Stats: 330/267.5/190 Female 65"
BF:47.5%
Progress: 45%

A friend recently gave me my first quality jeans. Imagine that, real jeans of great quality... with pockets!

I am wearing the white ones now. Thought I was doomed to stretch pants with no pockets for the rest of my days.

Thanks for all the links, I hope to be shopping in 2x's before summers through.

There's a place near here, Dress Barn, but I've never been. Anyone familar with that? Or K&G?

Last edited by Joan D : Thu, Jun-16-05 at 11:27.
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 19:29
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan D
There's a place near here, Dress Barn, but I've never been. Anyone familar with that? Or K&G?

I live near a Dress Barn Woman (their plus size store) and I occasionally browse in there. I've gotten a few things there -- both my summer nightgowns, for example -- but for some reason their clothes don't usually fit me right. We all have different body shapes and some brands work better for some of us than others. Dress Barn doesn't seem to work for me. I see stuff on the racks I like, but when I try it on and look in the mirror, I don't like it anymore.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 18:35
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/219.4/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 46%
Default Ramblin' about clothes . . .

This seems like the right place to go into this. No, I have no links to clothing resources in this post, but during the life of this thread, we’ve gotten off on some rich tangents on the role of clothes in our lives and in this struggle, that it seemed natural to turn to the `threads thread’ with these ramblings.

Background info:
I’m staying near a bigger town this summer, one where I have more shopping options than I do in the winter, at least when it comes to buying used clothing. I imagine some folks flinching at the thought of second-hand clothes—yet, yesterday as I was going through the racks at Value Village, it struck me that shopping there over the years has really educated my eye, fingers, and sensibilities in clothing. There is a lot of cheaply made clothing there, but nicer things turn up as well, expensive name brands sandwiched between discount store brands, silks and wools and butter-soft cords in jewel colors on the racks next to the flimsy synthetics. Without that place, I could never have afforded the wardrobes I’ve owned, and could not have kept myself in clothes that I like while losing weight.

As I grew smaller this time, I benefited from a few items I bought awhile back in hopes that they would fit someday—a policy which hasn’t worked well in the past, when the too-small/never-worn clothes are a rebuke of hopes. Ah, but I’m a sucker for a pretty dress. . . so it worked out, and I’m very glad that this time around I had the hope and trust to make the buys I did that I’m wearing now.

This summer, more than midway through my year of changing my life, more than halfway through my weight loss, I did it again--along with getting some these-fit-nows, I`bought ahead’ a bit.
Rationale (work with me here, folks):
R#1: Since each item in these thrift shops is usually one-of-a-kind, and the turnover is high, you can’t really think too long about a purchase.
R#2: I’ve bought several dresses this summer that would have cost me more per-item new than I paid for the entire purchase.
R#3: I smile when I see them hanging in the closet, imagining myself wearing them at work, and finding them cheering, feeling cute-ish.
R#4: I am grateful that I know myself well enough now, fashion-wise, to be able to purchase clothes a size or four too small, and know what they will fit like, and that I will like them.
R#5: I won’t have access to the thrift shop this winter, so when I’m losing down to a 16, a 14, a 12, a 10 (!) I won’t be able to go in and shop then. Stocking up for the winter.
R#6: I really believe I'm gonna make it this time, and that I will (WILL) wear these clothes someday. This winter.
End rationale.

Segue:
It feels good to be able to buy for my bones.

Our skeletons are the frame that the rest of the body hangs from. When I am small enough that my internal framework defines the size of my body, my clothes fit differently. When I wear things that fall from the shoulders, drape over the curve of my hips, slide with ease over my upper arms, there is a `rightness’ to the way the clothes fit. When I wear clothes to fit my fat-ness instead, the fit is rarely that good, because many of the clothes made in larger sizes are not built on the assumption of smaller frameworks with lots of padding. An item of clothes that fits in the hips often sags in the shoulders, and makes me feel even dumpier. On the other hand, as I move into smaller sizes, I get closer to that `ideal’ fit—my shoulders are about a size 10 when I’m not overweight. (I’ve been there only briefly, but remember it well.)

There is something else I’ve noticed about clothes now; the weight of the clothes matters to me. I’m so accustomed to clothing that contains a lot of fabric that I didn’t even know it bothered me—but now when I have the opportunity to find a garment that is light in weight, I love that lightness—it feels so good to slip on a shirt that only weighs a fraction of what other shirts I’ve owned did. Sounds kinda silly but yeah and there it is.

SO. Two more things to natter about and then will shut up. I have one more purchase I love dearly—I found a hat that looks good on me! It’s a straw hat, kind of hard to describe—brand new, with the tags on. There were two, and I went back the next day and bought the second one (and some more dresses, another story. . . ) This is significant because I’ve never found a hat I looked good in before. It’s an openweave seagrass hat with a brim and a jaunty twisted navy band and a whisper of the Outback and a thousand personalities, and it just wants to go out and play and you can hear the ocean if you hold it to your ear. A Magic Hat.

And the last thing is that I went sleeveless two days ago. And the world did not come to an end. As a matter of fact, a few men even looked at me like I looked . . . well. . . nice. (okay, so I had the Hat on.) And I have seriously cute shoulders (still there after all these year. Whaddayaknow.) I swung by a restroom and checked myself out. Yep. Still have the underarm thing, and the stretchy skin. Couldn’t they see that? What’samatter with them? So. Maybe. Just maybe. The underarm thing and the stretchy skin are not quite such a big deal. Maybe I don’t have to wear long sleeves forever to keep from breaking people’s eyes? Maybe. Maybe it was the Hat. I told you it’s magic . . .
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 19:29

Stats: 337/283.5/199 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thank you all for the website...I have had an ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE time trying to buy bras that fit---any good sources? I have the problem of the side rolling up and trying to cut off the oxygen supply to my brain. :-)

Enlight
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 23:14

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 330/308/185 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 15%

No links to add - I just am enjoying this thread
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 16:32

Stats: 355/355/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

Oh wow, AZDean...congratulations on making it to your goal!

This is an awesome thread. I've been spending time this afternoon shopping online (well, not not buying..just looking for now) and it's so nice to see places with NICE clothes in larger sizes! I look forward to a day when I simply can't shop there.

Violet
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 12:02
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Yaberhoo - I love that site! I've been looking for clothing that is more like me and not more like "the only clothing that fits me" if you know what I mean
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 13:30

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

dont forget the LINGERIE i have shoppped and bought stuff from this plus size online store.

it is all lingerie - sweet, demure or super RED HOT whatever you want all in plus sizes. you've never seen plus size look so sexy. ha ha ha!

www.lingerieatlarge.com
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 13:35
Undercover Goddess

Stats: 360/304.2/180 Female 71 inches
BF:Half Price Special
Progress: 31%

Lessara, I have been drooling over their signature jeans ($88.00 OUCH!) and the wrap top with the bell sleeves. I might treat myself to the shirt when I can get down to a 22. A nice gift for me.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 15:28
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Jedswife- Oh are those great!! Now I just need a boyfriend
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 396/325/260 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb More clothing sources

http://www.pluswoman.com/
(especially good for large sized interview suits
and yes they are the ones on ebay)

http://www.loveyourpeaches.com/welcome.htm
(strokeable clothes that feel even better than they look,
and sold in Canadian dollars, which makes them cheaper
if you pay in U.S. dollars)

I would like to express my appreciation of makingitbigonline.com
but I cannot afford to buy there much.

For bras, there is nobody like
http://decentexposures.com/
"Do you dread putting your bra on in the morning and look forward to taking it off at night? Have you avoided wearing a bra for years because you couldn't find something comfortable? Have you wondered why it should be so hard to find a decent, comfortable, cotton bra? With over 150 sizes, 15 colors, and 3 fabrics to choose from, we are confident you will find what you are looking for, including latex-free elastic. For active-wear or leisure wear, whether you are pregnant, nursing, or just looking for comfort, we know you are going to love your new Decent Exposures® products."

And now they do swimsuits!
Imagine! A swimsuit designed for a woman who has big breasts.

Even if you don't agree with fat-acceptance,
you can find lists of clothing sources at
http://www.cat-and-dragon.com/stef/fatfaqs/
especially, if you're 24 or bigger, in
http://www.cat-and-dragon.com/stef/fatfaqs/super.html

Yes, that includes men's clothing, by the way.
I used to regularly shop at Big and Tall the Casual Male stores,
especially off their sale rack.

#90   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 396/325/260 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question Re: "Now I just need a boyfriend".

You need a boyfriend?
It might be easier to be with someone who shares
your low carb way of eating.
How old are you? How old or young a boyfriend would you be interested in?
What attributes did all of the people
you wanted as dates have in common?
Would you consider a boyfriend who was not thin?
(or not thin yet?)
Where are you located?

I met my beloved on the 'net.
It can happen.