Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 12:31
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
Hope I didn't offend you Meg, I think the articles I posted were actually FOR eating a low carb high fat diet while pregnant....but maybe I read them wrong?
Hope I didn't upset you by posting a link to them....I was just trying to find out some info for the lady!

!! offended how?!! (btw, thanks for pitching in with the article..)
Of course I wouldn't be offended even if your articles were conflicting. There is so much out there that it is hard to know what to believe, esp for people who are new to a certain idea or way of eating. It's especially difficult to find anything different than the traditional high carb low fat (which isn't terribly traditional, it's more modern yet outdated (north) american beliefs, there are not many other places who would feed a baby or pregnant mother low fat) information for pregnancy because, understandably, it is a dodgy business to say anything other than what is currently accepted for pregnant mothers - given the importance of their situation.

We're just giving our own beliefs and experiences here. I have several family members who would have a fit if they knew I was limiting carbs in any way. I say this as I lick chocolate from a soft icream cone dipped in chocolate off my lip. Ohh man that ice cream was good. It's something I would generally feel guilt beyond belief about, but it was so great that it really WAS worth it, especially since the anticipation has been building up for weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/200/155 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Meg - I share your anticipation for ice cream - I've been thinking about a root beer float for days and may have to give in. At least I can use Hansen's sugar-free root beer, which is fabulous! I'll probably use real ice cream, though...

Silvia - from a military brat, please thank your husband for his service and I hope he stays safe! And, I hope you get your wish, though I have to say the thought of two kids 18 month (or less) apart makes me tired! Best of luck!
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 16:16

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

It is great to see all the people come here to visit and join in. Yes it is possible to not gain too much weight. You just have to rimind yourselves that it is insulin that adds excess weight, and you can control that very well.
Tanya
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 18/18/10 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm having such a terrible time getting my eating under control. I haven't been this big in years and now that I'm pregnant I'm just feeling awful! I did so good for the 2 weeks between my first appt. and my ultrasound. When I went for the u/s I had lost 2 lbs and was thrilled...since then I feel like when it's time to eat I'm eating whatever I feel like I can keep down but it's NOT LC friendly at all.

Can some of you girls give me some ideas, maybe post some of what you usually eat during a normal day? I don't want to get myself into ketosis, but I'm also not sure where that line is KWIM?
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 23:18
Registered Member

Stats: 208/200/155 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey underjoyed - I have become a plain yogurt and splenda fan for snacks. I drink a protein shake first thing in the morning with a powdered vitamin and 1/2 a banana - without this, I'm a basket case all morning. In fact, I can't function until about 15 minutes after I drink it. The protein (just short of 20 grams) first thing really helps gets me going and it's easier to make choices later in the day when I've had this in the a.m. I usually have a snack around 10 - often a hardboiled egg. It's easy and fast. I tried beef jerky but got sick of it. Sometimes I grab almonds or cashews. With lunch, I might have a grilled cheese (my bread is about 12 carbs a slice) and I try to eat carrots, avocado, bell pepper, or some other veggie/fruit combo. I also eat fish sticks or hot dogs (can you tell I'm cooking for little kids?) or leftover meat from the previous dinner. Sometimes I make a salad out of it. I eat cottage cheese for a snack. Depending on where I am on carbs I might grab some cheese and whole wheat crackers, as well. Dinner is standard - meat, salad, hot vegetable. That pretty much describes every evening meal at our house! My salad usually takes up 1/2 a dinner plate so that I'm FULL til bedtime - which in my pregnant state is usually about 9!

Hopefully that helps!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 23:35
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hi Tigersue, thanks for getting back to me, you made some points in my journal I didn't know about, so I appreciate that.

I got up this morning to deep purple on my sticks which upset me, before I could step over the 20 carb marker by 5 or 10 and kick myself out of keytosis just like that!! So it doesn't seem fair that now I am eating 70 or more carbs that I go into deep keytosis!! arrghh! (I can honestly not tollerate more than that at the moment through the sickness)

I obviously will try to up the carbs more, but for now I am thankful I am not throwing up every time I look at food.
I was so much better with the girls, I wonder if that means it's a boy?

Anyway, hi everyone and hope you're all doing well!
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 09:42

Plan: Atkins since March 2, 05
Stats: 205/193/135 Female 5ft 8 1\2 inches
BF:Have no Idea
Progress: 17%

treencee,
Thnak you that was very nice of you to say about my hubby considering he has to go back in October. I know it will be like having twins and I will have my 15, 12, and 11 year olds also so I will be a busy beaver. I won't lack for exercise though! LOL
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 11:01

Plan: Atkins, M&E
Stats: 297/289/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

So I have been back to low carb for a week and a half now and I really do feel better, I am probably eating half as much as I did before and my heartburn is noticibly less. I have always had such a problem with heartburn, my babies must have been comprised of 50% tums and 50% ice cream! The heartburn started getting bad about a month ago and I started in on the tums and pepcid. And I still have halfway to go! I have been checking my weight, and as far as my home scale is concerned I haven't gained anything since my last appointment. I guess this will be a mini-goal for me, to not gain between doctor appointments. I don't think that has ever happened ( out of 4 and 1/2 kids), usually I am happy when I have gained less than 10 lb between appointments! I am totally convinced that low carb is the "right" way to eat, my only worry with my diet is the amount of artificial sweetners I eat. I am trying to limit them, but I have always been such an abuser of AS's. I have never seen any convincing research that says that AS's are really bad, but you all know how easy it is to find the "truth" about stuff like that. But so far I am doing what I planned and I still feel like I can continue this way til the very end.
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 12:25

I have no clue how I missed page 5 here, wow what a topic of conversation going on there.
I'm an egg eater too meg, I have had a harder time with them this pregnancy, mostly because I just don't want to eat much of anything. I can't say I can do the raw egg completely, but I do love runny yolks. My 11 month old loves eggs when I give her one. I usually have to make three because she wants to eat it with me.
I would tell anyone that is doing research on Cholesterol is to look at all the low carb books and see what they say. The reason why statin drugs work, is because they do what the body would do if you eat enough fats and cholesterol. Statin drugs shut off the cholesterol producers in the body, which is done automatically by the body when it digests enough food.
I remember when I first started nursing school 21 years ago, the thought was that only a few people would need cholesterol lowering drugs, that most people should be able to do it by diet. What has increased in the past 21 years, Hi carb, low fat diets. So has peoples needs for cholesterol lowering drugs. If we could just get back to whole, natural foods, the way many of our ancestors ate 200 years ago, we would probably find a decrease in many of our health problems.
Steph, I hope you don't get most of us wrong, many of us talked to our doctors about what we are doing, some have supportive MD's, other's do not. You can't hurt your baby doing LC, if you see most of us are trying to not "intentionally" be in Ketosis, but are trying to do what is healthy for us and the baby. The baby needs good protiens, and fats to grow, since I'm obese it can have all the energy in wants from my body, I don't need 155-250 gms of carb a day for energy. I have enough stored as far as I think. Besides since I do get GD, I can't tolerate that much or I would be on insulin, I know it. If I can control my BS without it, it is much better for me and the baby.
Nobody is suggesting that you not discuss things with a Health care professional, and most definetly don't take our words for it.
Do what you do that makes you feel good. I'm talking about less heartburn, less fatigue, less weigh gain, less puffiness, less back aches, not just the mental thought that what I think is right is right. I hope that makes sense.
Good information is the best thing you can have, and what your body says is the way to go. Some of us here might be able to eat 100 gms a day, some may need a bit less, some a bit more. It is a very personal choice.
I hope you stick around, because questions and thoughts should always be valued, and you may even get us to consider something we have not thought. Good luck with your plans, and hopes I really hope it goes well for you. I have a 15 year old, an 11 year old and a 11 month old, with this one due the end of October. My big kids are a great help, I hope they are for you.
Tanya
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: restart march 05 atkins
Stats: 245/162/140 Female 65 inches
BF:dont wanna know:P
Progress: 79%

Hi Ya'll just found out today that i'm pregnant......need support and help getting thru this low carb.......my first pregnancy i gained 80lbs and i dont wanna do that again.So how many carbs do ya'll usually eat?
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 00:01
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hi Colby! I just found outI am pregnant too, so it's nice to have you here! How far along are you, I am nearly 7 weeks.
I have been eating no more than 70 carbs a day.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 02:18

Stats: 142/136/136 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

So yesterday I ate an over-medium egg without fear . Loved it! I find I'm feeling so sick that I'm having trouble getting calories in, especially greens. I can tolerate protein, which is great. But haven't eaten spinach in days. At least I'm on a very high dose of folic acid (5mg/day) due to a genetic mutation that I have - an inability to metabolize folic acid correctly.

I also admit that finally some need for carbs has kicked in - so that's good in my case since previously I was under 50 carbs a day. I had lasagna yesterday - with meat. I didn't feel bad though since it was something that was actually appealing to me and I felt like wouldn't give me the urge to barf.

And, hey - I'm right there with the 7 weeks club!
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 10:25

pggirl,
I find it isn't too unusually to have a hard time with greens the first trimester. I think that is why it is so hard to lc very well the first several weeks. I usually love my veggies, but they just don't taste very good right now. I eat what I can. You should find as the sickness starts to go down you will be able to eat what you used to for the most part. In fact your body will really want it. At this point it is do the best you can when you can and try not to feel guilty one way or another.
Tanya
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

ugh.. I developed an aversion to spinach early on and still haven't shaken it. My husband keeps trying to get me to try it again but even the thought of it is disgusting.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: restart march 05 atkins
Stats: 245/162/140 Female 65 inches
BF:dont wanna know:P
Progress: 79%

I just found out so Im 5 weeks I go to the Dr. monday.......
I took 3 preg test bc I didnt believe it lol all postive.....