Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 11:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/295/140
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up WOW

I am sitting here having lunch eating a nice salad with turkey on top and a handful of pork rinds! MORE FOOD THAN I WOULD EVER HAVE ALLOWED MYSELF ON A LOW FAT PROGRAM!

Question: The only salad dressing I really enjoy is Hidden Valley original Ranch. I checked the label and it shows either 1 or 2 gm sugar. So I passed on it. Any alternatives or advice? I don't mind eating my salad dry but once in a while it would be good to have a dressing for a dip or salad.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 11:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally posted by mdxgirl36
Question: The only salad dressing I really enjoy is Hidden Valley original Ranch. I checked the label and it shows either 1 or 2 gm sugar. So I passed on it. Any alternatives or advice.
One gram isn't too bad ... I stretch my salad dressing out by adding some olive or flax oil, or other beneficial oil such as canola (all are zero carbs) .. or 1 Tbsp regular mayonnaise is only 0.4g carbs. Adding some fat/dressing to your salads helps to provide satiety too ..... helps you feel full longer. A bare salad tastes fine, but then you're hungry again an hour later.

Doreen
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 14:22

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

I found Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar and his Ranch dressing to be very good. I keep some in a small container in my purse so it is available when we go out to eat.

I am truly impressed with Atkins. I have tried so many times to lose the weight. I have been on now for 5 weeks and lost 22 lbs. Finally into the 2's, now I've got to reconsider my short term goal and decide what I want it to be haha.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 15:01

BF:
Progress:
Default COOL!

Thanks Dizz for the information. I have looked at the Newman's brand but walk away, go back, walk away, go back, walk away........I am going to dinner tonite with some friends and am a little anxious about eating out and what to choose from the menu. I have not advertised the LC eating. I tend to eat 1/2 of what my thin friends eat (starvation) so they are used to my weird eating habits. The place is kind of an upscale old fashioned tavern so surely they will have burgers and things I can have without the bread and other carbs. I know potatoes are loaded with carbs but has as long as we count these and are careful they are occasionally ok, correct?

thanks
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 15:16
Registered Member

Stats: //145
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Success Stories

I have just been reading all the success stories in this site. The Triple Digit Club is a great support for me. I know I am not the only person in the world that has to lose 150 lbs, but some days it feels that way. I look around and the whole world looks skinny except me. I have been on the atkins lc diet for one week and lost 15 lbs. I know thats a great start and am totally aware that the loss will slow down now that the water loss is gone. It is encouraging to hear of how much people have lost. Thanks for the information and keep posting your success stories for us newbies.

Judy
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 15:23

BF:
Progress:

Joodsie, 15 pounds that is wonderful!!! tell what you are eating bite by bite cause I am going to copy it!!

I am right there with you in agreeing that it is great knowing there are other people in the same 100+ category. I simply cannot get over the fact that I am not hungry and can eat things that I had totally given up eating like cheese. I had some pretty rough sweet cravings the first few days and even a bit of withdrawal but it disappeared and I am sooo greatful!

take care.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 15:29

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

I LOVE POTATOES!!! So, no I avoid them and because I am staying as close to the induction part as possible. Since I have 150 lbs to go, I want to do the hard part as long as possible then taper up but not much on carbs. I want to keep this off. However, I have not found this to be an awfully hard diet.

As for as desserts I treat myself to sugar free jello with a squirt of whipped cream. HMMMMMM Good!
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 15:31
Registered Member

Stats: //145
BF:
Progress:
Default triple digit

Hi Mdx... I think my success this week was due to the fact that I drank water, then some more water, then a whole bunch more water. I really dont like water but I decided to tough it out and do without the pop to see what would happen. I usually drink 6 - 8 cans of pop a day. Even though it is diet and caffeine free, I think this had alot to do with it. The majority of stuff I ate was chicken, steak, eggs and cheese. Had few if any carbs.
This week I am adding a few carbs in salads and stuff like that. I even made up a fantastic curry shrimp dinner. The few carbs in that was green and red peppers, and mushrooms.

Keep in touch and lets do this together.

Judy
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 19:49

Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

Well, tomorrow morning is one week for me ... I'll let you know the official pound count in the morning. As of this morning I was down 7-8 pounds (my scale is not very accurate). I have had digestive problems, though ... actually, I had them before I started the induction, but I thought the diet might take care of it. Since I came home from Guatemala (3 1/2 weeks ago) I have had the "immodium habit" about every other day ... but it's been worse. I bought some acidopholus (sp?) today and I'll see if that will help, otherwise it's time to call the doctor.

I will try to be better about drinking water. I remember in the morning, but then forget the rest of the day .. only drinking during meals.

Thanks for being here.

Wendy
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 08:28

BF:
Progress:
Default friday

Good morning all!

I went to my dinner with friends last night and they all ordered fried shrimp and I had the chef salad. I was pretty miserable watching them eat bread with their salads and then their shrimp and baked potatoes. But.......IT WAS WORTH IT THIS MORNING WHEN I GOT ON THE SCALE AND WAS DOWN ANOTHER 3 1/2 POUNDS! THAT IS 13 IN ABOUT 10 DAYS!

I DRINK A LOT OF WATER ALSO BUT I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED WATER. NOT MUCH OF A SODA DRINKER BUT IT HAS BEEN HARD GIVING UP MY MILK!!
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 09:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
BUT IT HAS BEEN HARD GIVING UP MY MILK!!

But you've done it, haven't you? Cause for celebration!

Karen
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 10:14

BF:
Progress:

Yes I have given it up but it doesn't mean that I don't stand in the dairy section at the store and push my face up against the glass looking longingly at the milk carton!!!

I ran by the store this morning to try to find some sugar free pudding in the little snack packs. I wanted this to keep at work for when I wanted something sweet. All I could find prepackaged was fat free! However, I have tried a couple of Atkins shakes and they are really good, but kind of expensive.

heading into a meeting, talk to you all later.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 10:35

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts
Stats: 347/300/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default "Wow! Is this for real?"

"Wow! Is this for real?" Was my doctor's reply, when she read my weight on the chart! Since my last doctor's visit I had lost 20lbs! (Most of the weight has been lost low carbing.) My blood pressure has also been significantly lowered and I have so much more energy than I ever had before! And best of all...No more cravings! I have been low carbing now for a little over 3 weeks and am convinced this is the WOL for me!
My doctor's one concern was that I may be taking in too much fat in my diet. I myself have been watching fat grams, but not counting or limiting myself. Overall though, my doctor was very pleased with my weight loss. I was concerned about the use of artificial sweeteners, I have read that they also induce the release of insulin. But, my doctor feels that the use of artificial sweeteners is okay. And I think that I may feel less deprived if I allow myself some sugar free jello as a snack or dessert occasionally.
Wendy was talking about digestive problems. I can relate to that! I had been plagued with irritable bowels for the past couple years. It was very annoying, not to mention uncomfortable. Since I have been low carbing though my bowels seem to have regulated. I am no longer popping the immodium and have far less gas pains. But, Wendy...If you continue to experience problems I would urge you to visit your doctor. Just thought I would share!
Good Luck everyone! We can do this together!
Lucinda

#74   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 18:05

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

This is getting to be a very encouraging thread, and I would like to add my congratulations to those already offered. A couple of features about this thread are especially pleasing. One is it is now so positive, and aanyone (as each of us here have been) faced with a long haul needs a positive approach. Another is that these milestones of achievement become like a shared experience almost, and finally the partnering up between members and working through this together is truly heartwarming. Ladies, you are becoming an inspiration to all. Keep up the good work, and I wish you all the luck you deserve.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 17:05
Registered Member

Plan: sensible low carbing, no
Stats: 330/330+/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Wink

Hi there! I'm bellablue and new to this web site, in fact I found it by accident surfing this afternoon. I've been on low carbs since the 26th of July 2001. I have 150 pounds to lose. 26 years ago a wonderful osteopath doctor recomended this diet. I tried awhile, then yo-yo'd off to other diet pursuits. I've spent the last 5 years counting fat grams, ignoring carbs/sugar/ forgetting to exercise regularly, struggling with fibromyalgia and menopause, not monitoring my portions of low fat food----enough is enough. This plan makes sense however it's like I'm eating all the "bad" foods (pre-low fat eating conditioning). Anyone else have this problem? How ever I feel great! I have less of an appetite but detoxing from sugar (the first few days) was awful!~~~BellaB