Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 17:16
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthene
Thought process isn't everything.

The last time I lost weight on any diet was in my early thirties, when I simply cut back on calories, exercised daily, and dropped a bunch of weight. It wasn't easy, but I did it.

Then I hit early menopause at 39, was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at 40, and haven't been able to lose more than a nominal amount on any of the diets I've tried since then. Literally all of my weight gain in the last eight years has been in my stomach. My typical weight loss on Atkins after two months is a total of five pounds, all of which occurred in the first two weeks. Considering that I am 160 pounds overweight, and that at least a couple of those pounds were water loss, that's not good.

Group weight loss sessions were probably the most depressing thing I've ever done. Watching others lose 1-2 pounds a week while I was struggling to hit one pound a month was terrible for my morale. I recently had a tiny success (I lost about 25% of what I was supposed to lose) with a doctor-monitored HCG shot program, but it, by definition, was a short term plan (42 days).

The purpose of WLS for me is indeed to provide my body with a tool that will enable me to stop obsessing with dieting.

Has your Hashimoto's been successfully treated? If not, then it's no wonder that you aren't losing any weight. It sounds like you may need to find yourself a new doctor.

--Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 18:12
Registered Member

Stats: 289/285/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
Has your Hashimoto's been successfully treated? If not, then it's no wonder that you aren't losing any weight. It sounds like you may need to find yourself a new doctor.

--Melissa

My endocrinologist put me on thyroid medication eight years ago and after a few months of adjusting doses, my FREE T3 and FREE T4 counts are normal.

Last edited by demosthene : Mon, Jan-30-12 at 18:40.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 07:48
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshillis
I never really considered the hormone aspect of my weight gain. I just was always told that I had "low thyroid" and have been on medication for that, but it does nothing for weight loss. My endocrinologist asked me about Cushing's disease and if I had ever been tested for it. She tested me and said that wasn't it. I still think I might pursue the hormone aspect with her.

I know you were tested for Cushings disease, but did you have an ultrasound for Cushings syndrome? That was my issue. The big difference between the two is the location of the tumors - syndrome = not on the pituitary gland. There's definitely something going on with you. Keep looking - hopefully it will be found
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 13:58
Registered Member

Stats: 270/263/170 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Did you lose weight with the surgery?

Yeah I lost 14 lb's pre-surgery - from a 2 week liquid diet, then went on to lose another 60+ lbs within the first 3 months post surgery. After that I didn't lose or gain any. Because I got tired of puking so I ate things that went through the band easier, like mashed potatoes and gravy, ice cream and coffee.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 14:03
Registered Member

Stats: 270/263/170 Female 62inches
BF:

Quote:
The purpose of WLS for me is indeed to provide my body with a tool that will enable me to stop obsessing with dieting.

I'm so sorry that you've experienced pretty crappy support from groups that are supposed to be supportive. The one in my area is run by the surgeon himself and they were very supportive before and after the surgery. A schedule change at work caused me to stop going, but I felt like it helped a lot. There were other people with my struggles, some worse off than me and some who did better than me.

In any case, I still obsess over dieting, sadly this doesn't change after surgery. It relieves a little bit, but if you stall at all it comes right back.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 16:50

Stats: 331/318/155 Female 5'5"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissa
I know you were tested for Cushings disease, but did you have an ultrasound for Cushings syndrome? That was my issue. The big difference between the two is the location of the tumors - syndrome = not on the pituitary gland. There's definitely something going on with you. Keep looking - hopefully it will be found

I had no idea to even be checked for this--thank you so much for the information!

Charlotte
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 12:01

Plan: Professor Charles Clark
Stats: 280/273/199 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleK
Saying all this - IF I had to do it all over again I would've waited and had the gastric sleeve surgery.

me too.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 317/262.6/175 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleK
My insurance would actually pay for the revision but, I don't feel like I need it now - and losing 80% of my stomach sounds scary.

Hi Michele, I am currently looking into the gastric sleeve myself. One of the most interesting bits of research I have come across about that surgery is ghrelin production. Ghrelin (the hormone primarily responsible for appetite stimulation) is mostly produced in that round upper curve of your stomach... which is also the strechiest part. So when they remove that part of your stomach, you no longer get those ridiculous hunger pangs when you know you've already eaten (an important tool for people who struggle with bingeing).

There's a ton of studies on how ghrelin works and how people's thought processes about food change once they no longer have so much of it floating around their bodies. Just a little food for thought for you. Nothing to be afraid of just research, research, research!!
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 12:58
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellanina
Hi Michele, I am currently looking into the gastric sleeve myself. One of the most interesting bits of research I have come across about that surgery is ghrelin production. Ghrelin (the hormone primarily responsible for appetite stimulation) is mostly produced in that round upper curve of your stomach... which is also the strechiest part. So when they remove that part of your stomach, you no longer get those ridiculous hunger pangs when you know you've already eaten (an important tool for people who struggle with bingeing).

There's a ton of studies on how ghrelin works and how people's thought processes about food change once they no longer have so much of it floating around their bodies. Just a little food for thought for you. Nothing to be afraid of just research, research, research!!

If you have any questions about the sleeve, I just had it done 2 weeks ago and I'd be willing to talk to you about it
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 16:08
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

I thought about it. Even went to the pre-surgery classes at work. We didn't have any docs yet that could perform the surgery. The hospital I worked at was going to foot most of the bill for us. The reason I didn't go through with it was that we were moving to Panama, and I was afraid there wouldn't be anyone here who understood the band. I just couldn't even think about the major surgery.

The reason I considered it, was that my SIL had the surgery and was dropping weight like crazy. The problem was that she got sick all the time. Later she was eating so much that she gained back most of the weight.

All in all, I'm glad it didn't work out.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 10:58
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 317/262.6/175 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissa
If you have any questions about the sleeve, I just had it done 2 weeks ago and I'd be willing to talk to you about it

Thank you very much Rissa. We're (my husband and I) on the fence about it. It's going to cost me over $12,000 if I want to get it done. The thing is, I have complete faith in the low carb way of life, and I can lose weight like a champ. It's maintaining that I seem to have a problem with. Granted, I have never been truly committed to eating this way before.

So as I mentioned before, if I have the sleeve done it would take care of both appetite suppression and ghrelin production, but again, when I eat this way I'm rarely hungry, and I rarely overeat. So I think eating this way takes care of the problem and I do believe that I will be able to lose and maintain.

My biggest fear is when my body flips out and realizes that it's starving (lost adiposity) and launches operation "Pig out, replenish adipose tissue... plus more just in case".
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 12:53

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I have a very special friend who is on the cusp of her weight taking over her life. She has hit the age(60+) were weight loss has become very difficult and she feels hopeless. She was a very active person her whole life even though she was way beyond obese by anyones standards. Her large boned body let her find ways to take care of and train horses without help and show and train dogs all over the country. Well the rooster has come home to roost. She is now in the position that her life has derastically changed in the last year. A fall led to a knee injury that was slow healing because of her weight. Favoring the other leg left her with a hip that needs to be replaced . The doctors will not do the surgery unless she loses a large amount of weight first. She is depressed and not mentally ready to do another diet . She seems resined to idea that she cann,t lose wieght and is thinking about getting a scooter. Because she has always been such a active person not being able to get around more than a few feet at a time is destroying her on many levels. Why shouldn,t someone like her have the option of weight loss surgery? She is not metally ready to go there she would rather give up her life style than her carbs or do surgery right know but its helpful that she knows its out here if shes ready. I would love to see surgery options more available for people like her that aren,t permanet, but just help them get over the hump where they have tried and failed so many times that they believe in their souls that its just not possible for them to lose. Sometimes a extra outside help is needed. Getting down to a heathy weight were one can remain mobile and capable of taking care of oneself should be a worthy goal.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 13:31

Plan: atkins 72
Stats: 308/282/165 Female 5'9"
BF:...whatever!
Progress: 18%

I concidered it,
went to a lapband Dr, had ALL the test, was ready to go, ( I weighed 308 at them time, had a hiatal hernia, sleep apnea, etc etc etc ) .... but lost my job and the insurance that was going to pay for it. I Don't regret not having it.

I have known 5 people who have had it done, over the course of the years since surgery, every one of them has gained all the weight back, one still doesn't have his diabetes under control and has had several surgeries to remove several of his toes due to diabetic complications. Most have the usual vommitting, getting sick, etc etc

I have always felt for me personally that God gave me miles of intestines for a reason and that I shouldn't question God. I feel that for me it is a mental and emotional challenge for me to control my weight.

I know that for some that may be their best option, but for me, I dont believe it is.

e
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 22:26

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D

I am convinced that this surgery is necessary for some but not convinced that it is necessary for all who are getting it.

I would love to see how someone in such a situation where they are desperate to try something but are not "feeling" the surgery option, would do on a diet approaching zero carbs with high fat. More hardcore than Atkins induction to really break down the insulin resistance. And for a longer period of time. I think there may be those with severe metabolic syndrome for whom the Atkins induction is still too many carbs. A meat-and-eggs diet, if you will. With lots of butter and/or olive oil and/or heavy cream. As much as you need to satiate yourself. That's pretty much how I started (and isn't too far from what I eat today in fact) but I made the mistake of not enough fat in the early stages. Not everyone can do this, I understand, but it's really not that hard to get used to, especially since you can eat as much as you want, but it takes some creativity to keep it from getting too boring.

Last edited by ICDogg : Sat, Feb-11-12 at 22:36.
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 10:10
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
I am convinced that this surgery is necessary for some but not convinced that it is necessary for all who are getting it.

I would love to see how someone in such a situation where they are desperate to try something but are not "feeling" the surgery option, would do on a diet approaching zero carbs with high fat. More hardcore than Atkins induction to really break down the insulin resistance. And for a longer period of time. I think there may be those with severe metabolic syndrome for whom the Atkins induction is still too many carbs. A meat-and-eggs diet, if you will. With lots of butter and/or olive oil and/or heavy cream. As much as you need to satiate yourself. That's pretty much how I started (and isn't too far from what I eat today in fact) but I made the mistake of not enough fat in the early stages. Not everyone can do this, I understand, but it's really not that hard to get used to, especially since you can eat as much as you want, but it takes some creativity to keep it from getting too boring.

Please also keep in mind that for many women who will have surgery or consider surgery, they have not considered that they may have thyroid issues that require meds. Until these bariatric surgeons can rule out thyroid functioning issues, they should not do surgeries on these people....IMO!

For women especially, thyroid issues do not do well following zero carbs for any length of time more than a 3-5 day fast. I think that there are way too many surgeries being done and not enough investigation into thyroid functioning first. .....just my opinion.