Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

aha! here's the thread.
been reading journals and reading of all these people doing this hcg diet.. and most of them look pretty lean to me.
like lisa, i'm following several journals where people are doing this diet and i'm quite curious as well..
** *does this diet work for the morbidly obese?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 09:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Every form of hcg seems to work. I'm conversing now on another forum with a woman who has lost 130 pounds using the homeopathic drops (same method I use). I also know quite a few others who have been successful (meaning, they lost pounds and inches without losing muscle mass) using the various methods you mentioned.

Some people are purists who say only the injections are "the real thing." But, all the other methods work, too. And it's not just because it's placebo effect. I'm the biggest skeptic -- both of hcg and of homeopathic meds overall -- and yet the homeopathic hcg drops work for me.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 09:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
does this diet work for the morbidly obese?

YES! I know "of" a lot of people (men and women) who have been 300 pounds or more to begin with who have lost the weight and kept it off with hcg. I also know several women personally who have done the same.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 09:23
Registered Member

if that's the case, then why aren't doctors helping them instead of convincing them that GBS is the only answer for them?
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 09:26

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

PG, it does work for the morbidly obese. However, there is one caveat. Dr. S. said you should only lose 35 pounds at a time. meaning, after 35 pounds, you should take a break from the hcg and let your body rest before losing more.

I know a couple of people IRL who have lost more than 100 pounds using hcg. (During 2009-2010, an hcg craze basically swept through my neighborhood and my kids' school. Three neighbors, the school librarian, three teachers and two staff all used hcg and varying levels of success. And it appears they have maintained their losses, at least as far as I can tell by how they look.)
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 09:29

For a lot of people, the shots are not covered by insurance and yet surgery is. And many docs are skeptical of hcg, whereas surgery is more widely accepted as a weight loss tool. I think most odcors believe that hcg is a fad diet -- because, you know, the second you start eating junk again you will start to gain weight.

And the premise of hcg is that sometimes, our bodies are broken and we need help to lose weight. This premise goes against the prevailing belief that people are fat because they are weak, and the only necessary cure for being fat is willpower and restraint. You know -- don't be such a pig and don't be such a couch potato. No need to use drugs unless you are simply weak.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 09:36

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Every form of hcg seems to work. I'm conversing now on another forum with a woman who has lost 130 pounds using the homeopathic drops (same method I use). I also know quite a few others who have been successful (meaning, they lost pounds and inches without losing muscle mass) using the various methods you mentioned.

Some people are purists who say only the injections are "the real thing." But, all the other methods work, too. And it's not just because it's placebo effect. I'm the biggest skeptic -- both of hcg and of homeopathic meds overall -- and yet the homeopathic hcg drops work for me.
Thank you. While I do believe the hhcg works (from everything I've read at various forums), and I'm not opposed to using it (especially if that ends up being my only option), I would just prefer to follow the original protocol exactly as Dr. Simeons developed/intended with my first round. However, my DO does use homeopathics in conjunction with a variety of other treatments, so it wouldn't be surprising if he does use hhcg with his patients. I will soon know! I will be sure to report back, too.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 09:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
This premise goes against the prevailing belief that people are fat because they are weak, and the only necessary cure for being fat is willpower and restraint. You know -- don't be such a pig and don't be such a couch potato. No need to use drugs unless you are simply weak.

Yeah, and we all know that it's simply a matter of calories in, calories out. If only we could eat 100 fewer calories a day and walk around the block a few times, we'd be thin and healthy in no time!

(Darn! The "sarcastic" key on my keyboard is stuck again!)
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 09:57

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
This premise goes against the prevailing belief that people are fat because they are weak, and the only necessary cure for being fat is willpower and restraint. You know -- don't be such a pig and don't be such a couch potato.
You know, I've WISHED this was my problem!! But my body is broken with insulin resistance and hypothyroidism and it fights me every step of the way. Even my husband is amazed at how little reward I receive for how hard I work.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 10:03

Plan: Low Carbish
Stats: 169/152/135 Female 5'2" Age:81
BF:
Progress: 50%

I had a friend back in the 60's who went on this diet. She did lose some weight, but she and her five kids suffered. Never mind DH because he was in Vietnam at the time. Bottom line is that this IMHO is a true fad. It will pass shortly once again. The weight will be gained back and everyone will resume trying to lose weight. My friend had a rough time and I personally wouldn't try it. I have an awful time losing I admit, but I can't justify spending money on this kind of serum. You won't kill yourself just eating 500 cals/day for a week that's for sure, and it may jumpstart you. There is a well known center for executives/important people in Woodland Hills, CA where they do complete med work ups and then put you on exercise and diet. They limit you to about 500-600 cals/day plus a certain amount of exercise. Cardio everyday, weights 3xweek sort of thing. I have friends who went there and were very successful because of the supervision. It wasn't terribly LC, around 80-100/day if memory serves, but when you are that low in cals. you can go up in carbs a bit I was told. As always YMMV.

Just Saying.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 10:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Supposedly the HCG keeps you from getting hungry and it helps ensure you burn fat not muscle.

I'm pretty much a wimp, if I get painfully hungry I won't be able to follow it.

Just saying. (Why do people say that?)

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Dec-27-10 at 10:51.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 10:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQ
I had a friend back in the 60's who went on this diet. She did lose some weight, but she and her five kids suffered. Never mind DH because he was in Vietnam at the time.

How did she and her five kids suffer? And what does her husband being in Vietnam at the time have to do with anything?

Quote:
Bottom line is that this IMHO is a true fad.

Yes, this is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Quote:
The weight will be gained back and everyone will resume trying to lose weight.

Yes, if you go back to eating the way you did before you lost the weight, you will gain it back. No argument there. But how is this different from "regular" low-carb eating, or Weight Watchers, or CAD, or any other plan?

Quote:
There is a well known center for executives/important people in Woodland Hills, CA where they do complete med work ups and then put you on exercise and diet. They limit you to about 500-600 cals/day plus a certain amount of exercise. Cardio everyday, weights 3xweek sort of thing. I have friends who went there and were very successful because of the supervision. It wasn't terribly LC, around 80-100/day if memory serves, but when you are that low in cals. you can go up in carbs a bit I was told.

That's interesting. What does it have to do with hcg?

I'll be sure to tell all the people I know for whom hcg worked when nothing else did that it's a fad and should be ignored. Yup, I'll definitely do that.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 10:50
Registered Member

can anyone get a conversion of this measurement?

Sample menu for lunch
1.100 grams of meat for example: BEEF, CHICKEN BREAST, TURKEY, FRESH WHITE FISH, LOBSTER, CRAB, OR SHRIMP

1.100 Grams (g) = 0.038801312 Ounces (oz) <<<< i'm not understanding the amount here.

*** i'm reading a sample menu and this is what they suggest for lunch. 1.100 grams.. can anyone figure out what this is in U.S. ounces?
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 10:51

100 grams is 3.5 ounces
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 10:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67