Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 7
BF:
Progress: 28%

I just got so fed up with this I hiring a fitness trainer/nutritionlist to meet me on monday.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 14:37

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Hello LowCGal

Try to find out the exact thyroid number you have. Some people are within the 'normal' range but really do have thyroid dysfunction.

Also if you are gonna go to drastic measures you would be better off going to zero carb and eating just fatty meat and water. That way you won't destroy your netaolism the way a liquid diet would.

I understand your frustration also. If you wanna be 114 then that's okay. You know your body the best.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 21:45

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

I was on Atkins several years ago and didn't have problems losing however it was more difficult this time. 2 mistakes i made was i tried to eat a lot of protein and did not lose anything. Then i stopped then I realized that when I was on it before I really ate a lot more fat. So i started intentionally adding fat like oils and cream more. Even though everyone on this site kept telling me maybe i was eating too much dairy and that maybe i was sensitive to it. This just didn't seem to fit with me. I really did not think this was the problem. So after about 3 weeks of this i started to lose. I did not lose as fast as the first time i did Atkins but am losing now. Also If you truly have a yeast problem which it cant hurt to assume you do, try adding Coconut oil This will do 2 things increase your fat intake and help kill yeast. You should start slow but can take about 3 Tablespoons a day. It helps with so may aspects. There is a thread on here about it but i cant seem to find it. Maybe someone can post it here. It also helps increase your metabolism and improve thyroid function. Over time of course. Also if you have yeast it could make you feel worse temporarily but if this is the case you will know you have yeast and the oil is working to kill it off. Don't give up. Its hard especially when you cant figure out what is going wrong. Just stay open to suggestions until you find the key. You will eventually. Well good luck. I hope you get it worked out.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 22:24

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCGal
Thanks yes was at least a little moved by that after cutting out any norm lc food from diet. I'm really craving my lc pizza(chicken artichoke using the low carb whole made wheat bread w parmisian sauce and 2 cheeses drool) its the bomb.......soon lol just not yet.

Ya, I just dropped a snack so instead of 6 went to 5. I can't workout as much cause of my back and sides. Went to emegency room and again another eliment which is "unknown" as to cause. I stopped taking my potassium pills and the inflamation settled down a lot but back still hurts. All started when I started back on atkins. Maybe my bodies just out of wack and settling back down. I am not sure if that was from exercise because the pain started in my shoulders then worked from my chest to my spine then my upper right leg and front ribs to lower ribs.

But at least now I can workout a bit. I don't know what the deal is with the potassium pills. I'll never take them again. I had been taking them for over a year too. I think after doing research we get pleanty of potassium and really don't need the sups. Zuccini has more potas than a banana. Beef/meats have some high amounts too. I take the Atkin's "like" lc dieters basic multi-vit which are really good btw.

Am I understanding that you are eating 5 meals/snacks a day? I've come to the conclusion that eating often just leaves your body constantly spiking insulin and laying down fat. Another thing: you may want to cut back on cardio - it's a fatmaker for a lot of people. Strength training may be more helpful which is probably what the trainer will say. I broke a seven month stall by quitting running for two months - the first week I didn't run I lost about seven pounds.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 10:09
Registered Member

BF:

What? cardio is #1 for fat loss. Eating constantly keeps metab going.

You probably lost 7 lbs because you didn't allow your body to rest.

No, the trainer already stated everything I know and am doing is -correct but we have to tweek a little for a few weeks to figure out the issue. Cardio def. #1 and at an hour min day 6 days a week. My old routine was 2 hours and up to 4 hours.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 10:11
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
Hello LowCGal

Try to find out the exact thyroid number you have. Some people are within the 'normal' range but really do have thyroid dysfunction.

Also if you are gonna go to drastic measures you would be better off going to zero carb and eating just fatty meat and water. That way you won't destroy your netaolism the way a liquid diet would.

I understand your frustration also. If you wanna be 114 then that's okay. You know your body the best.

Sorry already did meat fast did not work and was on it min 5 days.
My body is $ dont care right now have major work coming up no more time but thanks.

But thats why I'm bringing someone with some certified knowlege in I don't do it often because I studied a lot of the same stuff and rehash. I need them to over see something perhaps I'm not. I can't live on meat and cheese and veggies alone. I personally think that is more unhealthy over the long run. I shouldn't have to be on induction still after 5 months. As I recall from the past it wasn't to start X-ing out food it was about bumping up my exercise routine. So as far as food goes not acing out anymore stuff It's getting as drastic as a liquid diet. The reason why I chose Atkins in the first place because it fit what I had already liked to eat AND made me feel physically better. Now I don't feel great at all and it's becoming freakish. So no then if that's what I need to do I don't want to do it anymore.

Last edited by LowCGal : Sun, Aug-10-08 at 10:27.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 11:17
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcgal
I can't live on meat and cheese and veggies alone. I personally think that is more unhealthy over the long run. I shouldn't have to be on induction still after 5 months

Yes, you're right...you should not have to still be on Induction after so long....and IMNSHO, that is why you are not losing...your adrenals are fatigued from staying too low carb for too long.

I do the same with my 5-6 mini meals per day. It works for me....

What I do think that you need to do is gradually increase your carbs by adding in some starchy veggie like sweet potato and some berries and a portion of nuts. With the amount of exercise you are doing, it will help your metabolism to add in good carbs.

This will mean that you may have to use leaner sources of protein but it will help your metabolism pick back up...it appears that its very, very tired!!

I've seen this happen many, many times here....many stay too low for too long and their metabolism does lag...raise their carbs up a little bit and they are losing again...yup!! I've seen this over and over again!!

HTH!
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 12:42

BF:

Quote:
What? cardio is #1 for fat loss. Eating constantly keeps metab going.

You probably lost 7 lbs because you didn't allow your body to rest.

No, the trainer already stated everything I know and am doing is -correct but we have to tweek a little for a few weeks to figure out the issue. Cardio def. #1 and at an hour min day 6 days a week. My old routine was 2 hours and up to 4 hours.

I haven't seen cardio recommended for fat loss except a few folks here and there since the early 90's. Nobody at my gym interested in their body fat % does cardio except 10 minutes to warm up for lifting, especially the trainers. Eating constantly may help your metabolism keep going but if you are eating 5-6 times a day on induction level carbs and not losing, for me it is virtually a sign from heaven to stop eating so much, so often! After I cut back on running I lost 3-4 pounds a week for the last three months. It wasn't just the first week I lost. Adding strength and resistance training is usually a magic bullet - I am shocked that your trainer would keep you going with cardio when there are so many other effective forms of exercise you could be doing.

Janine
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 14:00

I agree with Judy here. Your adrenals may be fatigued.

Also a zero carb diet is supposed to be made up of only fatty meat and water. No coffee, no dairy, no veggies, no fruit, nada. Wouldn’t be my cup of tea but works very well for some. The meat must be fatty meat though, not lean protein. Is that the meat diet you did? If so then once again I would have to go with Judy on this once and think maybe it's time to up those carbs a bit.

I would think also that resistance training would be more beneficial than cardio. However cardio does work well for weight loss for some. Bear in mind though that overdoing cardio can totally burn out your adrenals; leading to major weight problems in the future.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 07:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/130/124 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Okay so the heavy cream is ok? I need that at least in my coffee.
I went and replaced the reg cheese with mozzorella and got cream cheese (which I usally have anyways but was out lol)

Ok so I need something on my salad though. I have blue cheese is that yeasty? Would olive oil and salt be ok? I tried lemon but don't really like it.

Atkins stated try for 4 weeks so I will do it again. Not having tea either which I don't understand that yet. See what happens. When it get's under control how do you know? Hopefully this isn't a permanant thing.

Yes, cream is generally okay for many people. Some people are lactose intolerant, but I presume you would know if that was true for you. Some people stall with cream. But as far as carbs go, cream is very low.

As far as salad dressing, I love (well, my taste buds love) bacon grease with a touch of stevia and lemon juice. I'm not sure if my stomach likes it though - have to collect more data on that.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 09:36
Registered Member

BF:

I only have seasoning with olive oil on salad. I don't think its yeast thing now nothing really changed other than the morning mouth thing (or if it was it isnt now). I followed along with the book and what was stated here and had only minumal changes. I haven't done heavy exercise at all since I had the strange back and shoulder pain. I changed vitamins and stopped with potassium sups. It's now almost gone. I started up with my tae bo and indoor walking 30 min-40 min few times a week now so my exercise routine isnt heavy at all I just dont have the energy to do more which is highly unusual for me. Which now I have to rev up on the 2 hour a day routine for 2 weeks because this has taken so long and I have to reach a weight so...

Yes Scarlette that's the diet I did just meat.

These signs and symptoms are the end result of acute severe or chronic excessive stress and the inability of the body to reduce such stress

This is what I stated at the begining that I had endured about 3 years (worst last year till April this year) of unbelivable stress and wasn't able to relax really ever. I haven't been under any abnormal stress for past 5 months for first time. It says no starchy veggies and I don't like them anyways. I had already added 1 other helping of veggies a day. Will get more almonds and add fruit too see what happens.

(Cardio is exercise hu?)Cardio is a very important part of health. Heart,lungs and endurance. There's many different forms eliptical trainer,treadmill,jogging,fast walking,videos,tae bo,kickboxing,dancing,old fasion aerobics etc any thing that brings your heart rate up. Its a must if you want a great body/overall health. I don't know anyone whos actually "fit" who doesn't do it in their fitness routine.

It's pointless to just do weights when you have fat all over you will not see it.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 09:44

BF:

"(Cardio is exercise hu?)Cardio is a very important part of health. Heart,lungs and endurance. There's many different forms eliptical trainer,treadmill,jogging,fast walking,videos,tae bo,kickboxing,dancing,old fasion aerobics etc any thing that brings your heart rate up. Its a must if you want a great body/overall health. I don't know anyone whos actually "fit" who doesn't do it in their fitness routine."

I think you need to do both, too, but most people I know who are ripped do not do any cardio at all, including the trainers at the gym - they have very low body fat. My husband does no cardio at all and he has 11 % body fat and is very lean and strong. I've nagged him into running in the last month, but alot of people achieve the physical results they want with no cardio at all. I think they are wrong but I won't argue with a six pack.

Janine
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 10:27

Also if you have been stressed out for the past three years I would be willing to bet the ranch that your adrenals are burned out. Thus, gentle cardio might be good for you yes. However strenous cardio is NOT your friend at this moment in time. I can give you more info about adrenal fatigue if you would like.

I am crossing my fingers and toes and everything for you that adding in more veggies and some fruit and nuts will help.

I am so sorry you are going through this stall.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 09:37
Registered Member

BF:

I will Janine cause I can probably out run him j/k

Thank you Scarlet.
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 14:28
Registered Member

BF:

Just met with trainer. They think my food is just fine probably even up my carbs too. The 0 carb thing is really unhealthy. Though they had done it when needed for competition it's not good for you at all. I Need to change workout routine. It's possible my body got use to the hard routine and needs to shake it upa bit. Advised to start running/jogging. They said I can be body fat 17% to 22 for me 17 being low and harder. Even 25 is good for my body too. I'm probly between 26-29 now. Think they will check when we start. Going to have 10lb goal 2 months. So we'll see what happens keep updating as I go.