Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 10:10

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

That is very interesting, Nancy. Thanks for posting it.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 10:29

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarb4mee
When I began the job I weighed about 180. Within 2 months, I weighed 150. I ate pizza and all kinds of fast food and the weight FELL off me. That's the only time in my life anything like that has happened. So for me, I know that serious constant exercise will take the weight off with no dietary restrictions, but I will likely never again in this life ever have a job like that again. Oh, and yes, the weight came back after I moved into a management position.

A few years ago I had a very physical job and the same thing happened.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: no sugar no starch
Stats: 210/170/160 Female short
BF:
Progress: 80%

The interesting thing about my bother--I mean brother is that he never set out to define a "diet". He has eaten this way for 30 years based simply on ignoring all advice on diet and eating what he likes. He has never had a weight problem (I hate him) and just eats what he wants when he wants to. He is only hungry once per day, and he only wants to eat meat. He used to eat 3 square meals a day and lots of cookies and cake when he was at home. I know cause I made them for him. But when he got out on his own he just wanted to make things easy and this is how his diet evolved.

His wife otoh, eats a normal diet and has had health problems all her life.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 12:56

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCivility
The interesting thing about my bother--I mean brother is that he never set out to define a "diet". He has eaten this way for 30 years based simply on ignoring all advice on diet and eating what he likes. He has never had a weight problem (I hate him) and just eats what he wants when he wants to. He is only hungry once per day, and he only wants to eat meat. He used to eat 3 square meals a day and lots of cookies and cake when he was at home. I know cause I made them for him. But when he got out on his own he just wanted to make things easy and this is how his diet evolved.

His wife otoh, eats a normal diet and has had health problems all her life.

So, he simply eats one steak, each day? How many ounces, I wonder? Well done, rare?
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 15:02

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Hey, Nancy

I also found that section on vitamins one of the most intriguing parts. I remember when I first read about Steffanson's experiment I wondered how they could do it and not get scurvy or one of the other "dietary deficiency" diseases?

I think this is a very interesting avenue for research. Too bad no one can really profit from it, except everyone who eats, so it probably won't get done.

Actually, if I were the cattleman's association, I'd partner with the pork producers and lamb producers and egg board, and dairy producers and fund the study. I volunteer to be one of the participants as long as they agree to supply me with plenty of pastured beef, pork, lamb and eggs. Ok, you can throw in some chicken too, but I would prefer to be in the read-meat-egg-and-dairy-only control group.

I've actually stopped taking my vitamins and haven't noticed any difference. I may be missing something, but six weeks with minimal sources of vitamin C and no scurvy yet. (I did have a few slices of red pepper in a salad a couple of weeks ago, and a handful of spinach a few days ago, but not much else) We'll see.

That's a refinement to this way of eating that could be very helpful to know. If you eat this many carbs of this kind you have to make sure you take vitamin supplements. If you get your daily recommended amounts of protein and fat, with a low-carb ratio, then you can avoid having to take them.

Plane
Who's currently deep into insulin, the Krebs cycle, etc... at the moment and seeing why the way I'm eating is working at continuous weight loss.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 15:11
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I finally got the book today! Yay. Can't wait to start on it.

I hope he sells a decent number of books. I would really like it to be successful because I see that as providing the biggest chance of reaching people (a paperback followup, library stock, possible reprint, other languages).
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 15:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Plane, I was fascinated because in my reading about grains I read about phytates, which are found in grains and legumes and they actually bind to vitamins and calcium and prevent you from absorbing them. I think there were other chemicals found in grains that did the same, so this all kind of clicked in my mind.

I read similar things about dairy, that eating dairy actually prevents you from absorbing calcium, or ups your requirement for calcium, can't remember which right now.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: no sugar no starch
Stats: 210/170/160 Female short
BF:
Progress: 80%

Daryl

One steak, rare, not sure how big it is. He doesn't drink anything but coffee and unfortunately, he smokes. But it has done him minimal harm so far. He tries to quit. I don't nag him about that--he knows.

Addictions are powerful.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 16:03

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Ah, I see. Thank you for the info, LC
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 17:56

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Actually, if I were the cattleman's association, I'd partner with the pork producers and lamb producers and egg board, and dairy producers and fund the study. I volunteer to be one of the participants as long as they agree to supply me with plenty of pastured beef, pork, lamb and eggs.

I am sure all these places have email. Send one and tell them you know several others who would also like to volunteer!

(Seriously...send them an email.)
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 16:40
Experimenter

BF:

I'm getting towards the end of the book, think I'm just about to start the last chapter. Wow, I've learned so much. But what I never thought about before was how obesity is due to the body prefering to store fat over using it, and how it continues to use anything except fat when it is starved.

The mice that are fat yet emaciated when starved, their body breaks down their own internal proteins rather than releasing the fat from the fat cells.

And how a body that doesn't correctly use stored fat, if you try to starve it, or exercise it... it is going to respond with lethargy and hunger. Cells need to run on something!

Wow... just wow.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 16:52

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

You said it Nancy....wow.

I think I will take some time to digest what I read, then go over it again in a month or so....with a highlighter in hand
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 18:11
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I'm hoping that reading this doesn't make me feel like just HEARING ABOUT that 'rethinking thin' book made me feel, like, "Oh my god, what's the point??"

Or as Joy Nash said in her fabulous YouTube FAT RANT video, something like, if 95-98% of people who go on diets fail, succeeding basically makes you a freak of nature. LOL!
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 18:22
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
obesity is due to the body prefering to store fat over using it, and how it continues to use anything except fat when it is starved.
That just underscores how very important it is not to ever get fat in the first place; reversing it is so very difficult. The mainstream information on diet needs to be corrected for the benefit of our next generation before its TOO LATE.
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 18:48
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I'm hoping that reading this doesn't make me feel like just HEARING ABOUT that 'rethinking thin' book made me feel, like, "Oh my god, what's the point??"

Or as Joy Nash said in her fabulous YouTube FAT RANT video, something like, if 95-98% of people who go on diets fail, succeeding basically makes you a freak of nature. LOL!

Well, I think the only hope is low carb right now. Eventually, if they stop believing the wrongness that they've brain washed themselves into they'll start researching the real underlying metabolic issues and we'll get REAL answers.