Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 14:49
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
May be not, although I have read enough posts when folks companining of still being hungry even on Induction, but we all are different. I eat very little whole grains, but when I do, I always eat it with protein and fat, never by itself. I can have a cup of steek cut oatmeal with 1/2 tbs butter and a cup of plain kefir or yougurt for BF, and don't be hungry for 5-6 hours, no indigestion or bloating either. May be what you call cravings, is normal desire to eat, I prefer to eat 3 times a day, but some folks think if they want to eat 3 meals, they have cravings.
JMO
dina, trust me on this, I know the difference between normal, healthy hunger and abnormal cravings. Cravings are when I am still hungry even right after a meal, when I want to continue eating past satiety, and especially when I want carbs or alcohol instead of a healthy meal rich in fat and protein. That's the way I used to feel all the time before I started low carbing and it still happens if I eat too many carbs. Even your so-called "healthy carbs".

As for people who are on induction and hungry - I read the same posts and generally they are eating too many carbs and/or not eating enough fat, and/or simply not eating enough food. In other words, they aren't doing induction. Or they have just started - it can take a few days to get those insulin levels down.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 15:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
I agree with you, Judy. I ate this way and get back to this eating now, after almost 10 years of struggling with LC, I am back to my old way of eating. But everyone is different, and we should be able to find what works for us.
Regards,
D.

as an aside....... Happy Birthday Dina!!
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 15:58

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Interesting study, but also interesting was the fact that hot coffee alone did not seem to cause higher risk, so I don't think it was the temperature so much as the substance being consumed.
Also interesting to note was this little blurb from the study:

This was risk for esophogeal cancer and we have to keep in mind that correlation does not show or prove causation. Still...all that roughage going down the esophagus and yet there was an inverse correlation between consumption of fiber (veggies and fruits) and cancer. So much for the callous/cancer theory.
I just threw that study up to show that there is a study somewhere that can be used to support any theory that someone can come up with.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
dina, trust me on this, I know the difference between normal, healthy hunger and abnormal cravings. Cravings are when I am still hungry even right after a meal, when I want to continue eating past satiety, and especially when I want carbs or alcohol instead of a healthy meal rich in fat and protein. That's the way I used to feel all the time before I started low carbing and it still happens if I eat too many carbs. Even your so-called "healthy carbs".

Wyrn, I trust you. But this is completely opposite for me. If I cut carbs too low, I must have a drink EVERY NIGHT, I just crave alcohol, and was afraid to become an alcoholic at one point, I had wine or martini every night to the point that DH started to worry,LOL. But if I eat more carbs, no alcohol cravings for me, and I feel fuller faster. I also eat fat and protein, so it is not just carby meal. Alcohol also impares my "will power", it makes me wanting to eat more, so I overeat protein definetely, can only stomach this much of fat at one meal.

Quote:
As for people who are on induction and hungry - I read the same posts and generally they are eating too many carbs and/or not eating enough fat, and/or simply not eating enough food. In other words, they aren't doing induction. Or they have just started - it can take a few days to get those insulin levels down.

it is not only insulin lowering effect but mostly ketosis, takes few days for ketosis to fully kick in, which suppresses appetite. Add few more carbs, and your "cravings are back", tried and true. But I hate ketogenic state: nausea, lethargy, stomach pain, cramps, yikes.
Whatever works for you, I know what works for me to make me feel good, this is very important for me, not just eat only to lose weight.
BTW, induction can't last forever, one day you need to add carbs, or stay on 20-30 g forever.
JMO and JME

Last edited by dina1957 : Wed, Mar-21-07 at 16:09.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 16:05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
as an aside....... Happy Birthday Dina!!

Thank you, Judy. I am still at work but will celebrate later. Too bad it is not my 40th BDay, LOL.
best regards,
Dina
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 16:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I just threw that study up to show that there is a study somewhere that can be used to support any theory that someone can come up with.

That's true enough, Mike, but when you start looking at demographics and the widespread effects of a behavior or diet on a population, it becomes increasingly difficult to 'show' that fiber is harmful.
Right now, we see to have two opposite extremes in opinion; supplement with fiber, you can't possibly eat too much or avoid fiber at all possible costs because it's not only not beneficial, it's downright harmful. Neither side can adequately support their positions. The truth, I suspect is somewhere in the middle. Fiber isn't the end all and be all of health but the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that are in the same package that delivers the fiber are good for the body.
I think it's time we stopped beating this horse and buried it...it's long past dead.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 16:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Do dead horses have fiber?
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 17:15

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
Without fibre transit time will be slower

However, many of us note that fiber DECREASES the "transit time". So, if this is true (and believe me, in some of us it IS), then fiber would NOT be beneficial, right???
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 18:08

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Neither side can adequately support their positions. The truth, I suspect is somewhere in the middle. Fiber isn't the end all and be all of health but the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that are in the same package that delivers the fiber are good for the body.
I think it's time we stopped beating this horse and buried it...it's long past dead

Ok. Truce.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 18:50
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
If I cut carbs too low, I must have a drink EVERY NIGHT, I just crave alcohol, and was afraid to become an alcoholic at one point, I had wine or martini every night
I also tend to substitute alcohol for carbs, but I don't think that makes me an alcoholic. If I drink every day, I gain weight, so I've been limiting it to dining out or with company, about twice a week. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people who believe they are alcoholic but they are actually using it as a carb substitute.
Quote:
BTW, induction can't last forever, one day you need to add carbs, or stay on 20-30 g forever.
You say that like it's a bad thing. I've been keeping my carbs at 20-30 grams (or less, on average) per day for a couple of years and it's just not a problem. Certainly my diet is much more rich and varied than it was before I started low-carbing. And I'm hardly unique in this regard.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 20:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

I wonder if.....

A lot of these 'issues' have only become issues because we (as people) are being bombarded with information from sources official and capitalistic on our health all the time.

The constant barrage of information can be likened to propaganda. And I think we sometimes get sick of being told - this is healthy, this is not.

Right now we are witnesses historical nutritional hysteria in Motion. Trans fats. (whether they are bad or good) We are seeing the message of 'Get rid of trans fats at all costs!'. It's like they have been labelled 'bad', but this bad is irrational and emotional term that is used to scare the masses.

The masses aren't looking at pure scientific data, and draw tentative conclusions, whilst leaving their minds open to more data changing that conclusion.

There is just this general idea: "Everyone knows that da da d a...."

Whether it's fibre, trans fats, saturated fats. It's just a whole bunch of factional information warfare - fuelled by big business, and what big business owns - the government.

My fibre is healthy, or maybe it's really bad - all I know is that the Kelloggs company is promoting it as healthy.

I think it's healthy to question their conclusions, and our own conclusions.

I know I suffered incredible constipation on a low fat weight watchers diet. I had to introduce fibre.

I know when eating a high fat very low carb diet - my digestion has never been better. (Newbies have to allow an adjustment period)
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 06:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/153/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Actually, I based my assumption on whatever was the book preview. I think preview says it all

That was my point: the preview does NOT "say it all." The idea is to examine more than one point of view objectively, not simply dismiss those you dislike. The author of that book presents a detailed (extremely detailed) explanation of how fiber affects the human body. Given that in the US at least, we are witnessing an epidemic of digestive diseases, IBS, and colon cancer, closing one's mind to the possibility that the "experts" have it wrong is counter-productive to say the least.

Remember the same thing happened with a high-fat, low-carb diet: everyone just "knew" it was wrong... until they educated themselves.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Do dead horses have fiber?

Does anyone have a colonoscopy of this dead horse?

Kind regards
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 11:33

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
I also tend to substitute alcohol for carbs, but I don't think that makes me an alcoholic. If I drink every day, I gain weight, so I've been limiting it to dining out or with company, about twice a week. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people who believe they are alcoholic but they are actually using it as a carb substitute.
You say that like it's a bad thing. I've been keeping my carbs at 20-30 grams (or less, on average) per day for a couple of years and it's just not a problem. Certainly my diet is much more rich and varied than it was before I started low-carbing. And I'm hardly unique in this regard.

Ditto. It has been 15 months since I have had more than 20g of carbs in a single day. I have never been more healthy or felt better or stronger. A person can stay in induction forever. A person does not have to add carbs back someday.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 13:06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
However, many of us note that fiber DECREASES the "transit time". So, if this is true (and believe me, in some of us it IS), then fiber would NOT be beneficial, right???

CindySue,
Do you think it may be due to EXISTING CONDITION? Like laxative abuse in the past that alone can stretch colon and weaken muscles, poor diet with very low fiber content, that again makes colon lazy, or other intestinal disorders? I don't think that it is all about "transit time". Everyone has it's own transit time and also it depends on other factors, independent from the diet. Benefits of fiber are beyond "waste management", so I would imagine that soluble fiber would be still beneficial since works like a sponge, excreting bile, cholesterol, and hormones that has done their work, and do not need to be reabsorbed.
Just a thought?