Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 18:42

Plan: PALEO
Stats: 180/160/165 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 133%

Hey, I like spinach and brussells sprouts! OK, I give up already. Please forgive me for gettin' bent out of shape and showin' my ass. I understand my arguments are neither welcome or helpful. Can me move on now and engage in more thought provoking constructive exchanges. I like the discussions here and I don't want to make enemies. Sorry about the spelling, I was in a hurry.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 18:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve
Hey, I like spinach and brussells sprouts! OK, I give up already. Please forgive me for gettin' bent out of shape and showin' my ass. I understand my arguments are neither welcome or helpful. Can me move on now and engage in more thought provoking constructive exchanges. I like the discussions here and I don't want to make enemies. Sorry about the spelling, I was in a hurry.

That's not true. People were debating with you just fine. They agreed with you several times. You're very welcome and so is intelligent discourse. It's not your arguments that are unwelcome, it's your insults.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG OMG
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 18:48

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:

No problem. As you can see, I rather enjoy a spirited discussion once in awhile!
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 18:51

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
We'd be perfect together! I have an uncontrollable "give away veggie" fetish.

Pass 'em over, baby! Even better if they're saute'ed in virgin coconut oil, splashed with a light spritz of lemon juice and topped with a bit of freshly grated parmesan and freshly cracked black pepper...mmmmmmm
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 18:52

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande2211
Reminds me of Bear.

Perhaps I'm biased, but the Bear was a little more entertaining, in a belligerent sort of way.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 19:17
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie888
Seriously, Frederick? Even with all of the delicious fat-free foods out there like spinach and brussel sprouts?

I'lll take any spinach and brussels sprouts you dont like! I probably eat about 6 cups of spinach a day. Yummy!
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 19:32
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGal1415
Hey now, demmit! I LOVE spinach and brussel sprouts!
Same here! I like them now more than ever before.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 19:33
Registered Member

BF:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
We'd be perfect together! I have an uncontrollable "give away veggie" fetish.
You're on Atkins and you don't like veggies?
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 19:43

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
You're on Atkins and you don't like veggies?

Er, I’m on what can only be characterized as a modified extreme version of Atkins. I’ve been “experimenting” with a very low-carb eating regimen.

Basically, I’ve been eating eggs, meats, cheese, and very dark chocolate.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 19:58
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Whatever....but I've spent most of my adult life eating very low fat and I know of few men my age in the shape that I'm in. People who haven't seen me for 10 years say I haven't aged. I disagree that low fat means stravation. Low fat whole foods are very filling. Furthermore, if you are very active and/or athletic, excess carbs consumed serve a purpose: replenishing muscle glycogen. Fat can never to that. Excess fat consumed becomes just that...FAT. For those of you who attack me for saying something negative about your favorite book it makes me wonder....do you live friends and argue with family members over a book? Is the book and the diet the main focus of your life? It sure sounds like it is for some and for those folks I can only say that I pity you. Your weak and you need help.

Steve,
I am glad low fat works so well for you. I suspect many athletes find higher carbs augment performance, because carbohydrate delivers a nice anabolic punch that an athlete can use, like an artist molding clay.

Most people are not athletes. We find extra carbs cause a myriad of problems.
Some of us are not only not athletes, but we also have metabolic issues with carbohydrate. We not only can't tolerate extra carbs but we need to eat rather few of them.

I don't understand what your purpose here is.

First you seemed to argue athletes need carbs, and it's not possible to do heavy activity on a LC diet.
Then you seemed to be saying if you're not athletic, you're a lazy Dr Phil watching slob who isn't healthy.
Now you're here wondering why you're getting negative responses, calling us religious zealots and such for disagreeing with you.

Steve the fact of the matter is this.
Before I came and found LC, I was morbidly obese, I had a PCOS symptoms, and I was always hungry. If food was delayed, I felt "shaky and irritable".
As a result of LC, I am thin, I can eat a lot of food and not gain weight, I have no PCOS symptoms, I can experience satiety and satisfaction from food, and I only feel "shaky and irritable" if I eat a little too many carbs.

I'm not an athlete, and I would likely *die* on the kind of diet you eat.
In september I had a glucose tolerance test , and I had to carb up a few days before hand. I tried eating high carbs and moderate fat (to not gain weight I lowered fat percentage). I remember one breakfast was an ounce of branflakes, half cup whole milk, half a small banana. I had such a bad hypo at work I thought I would pass out, I was sweating and shaking like crazy.

What works for you doesn't work for me. LC works for me. Exercise augments my carb tolerance, but I think it's more than exercise which is making the difference here. I don't think I could ever eat the way you eat. Be grateful you don't have the kind of metabolic issues I do.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 20:16

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The Bear was for his carnivore diet, BigSteve is simply against something (low carb).

Steve, almost everyone here has tried low-fat eating for many years with horrible results. The longer and lower the fat in my eating, the worse my health became. Going to low carbs reversed all my health problems and gave me more energy. Fat is the fuel that the human body prefers. Carbs are used in a crises, but should not be the primary fuel!
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 20:24
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Carbs are the easiest source of energy, but not the only source. Humans have likely thrived as a species because our bodies can adapt to just about any food situation, from the Inuit (97% meat) to the tribe I heard about in Africa (can't remember the name), who ate a 60% plant diet (carbs).

And...I like Dr. Phil. I read his diet book and he makes some really good points in dealing with the psychological problems of weight loss. His dietary advice was typical low-fat and seemed out of place. Dr. Phil's doctorate is in psychology and he would have been better off sticking with that rather than giving advice on low-fat.

I like his TV program too, but there is usually something better on. If nothing else is on I'll watch him and enjoy it.
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 04:59
Registered Member

Stats: 136/128/110 Female 150cm
BF:too much !!
Progress: 31%

I'm a type 2 diabetic, and followed the low GI way of eating, whole grain breads loads of vegies low fat and still my sugar levels were way too high, i did all this and took medication, then came the decission to try me on Insulin !!! I decided to think about this first as i was really scared and upset. I had noticed that bread and cerials put my Sugar levels up. So i made the decission to give Atkins a try, i thought what have i to loose? if it doesn't work then i guess Insulin is the go, WELL, i have not only managed to controll my sugar levels but have decreased my medication markedly and now look to be able to become Diet Controlled ( excellent ) I no longer eat carbs, processed, like breads etc, i eat meat and vegies, i have never been one for sweets, the misguided judgement that Diabetics are all lollie and sweet eaters is rubbish!! I don't care what nay sayers think about Low Carb diets, i have found that it works extremely well for me, so say what you will, knock other forms of dietry intake, talk a lot of rubbish, i for one am a convert and i guess you must be interested in this way of eating yourself, why bother to post on this forum if you are not? you obviously look at this site enough and you must have joined up to post messages here!!! Are you a closet Atkins fan as i suspect you are?
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 05:00
Registered Member

BF:-
Progress: 25%

[QUOTE=BigSteve]I like the discussions here and I don't want to make enemies.[QUOTE]

well, your doing a great job of it.

Seriously, I was going to post here and take your side to a point. I lost a lot of weight on a low-fat diet many years ago and kept it off for some time. However, I was much younger and my metabolism was stronger and I was more active. But it was a horrible diet to be on. I hated being hungry all the time. The only thing that got me through to my goal was sheer will power.
Low Carb eating is effortless to me. I eat healthy, whole foods, I feel great and the weight is coming off without me being hungry, ever!

But, my word, you seem just as defensive about your "low-fat" mantra as many of the posters here on this forum are about LCing. and I do agree that there do seem to be some "fanatical" Low Carbers here, (ok, people don't get mad, I call em' as I see em')
But lest we not forget what kind of forum this is??? hmmm.....

The difference between you and the many caring people on this board is that you feel the need to get nasty and attack when someone disagrees with you, while most of the posters here, just try and explain their point of view and personal experiences.

I think that this forum is wonderful and the 99% of the people here generally want to help others with their experiences and knowledge. Unfortunately, you are part of the other 1%.

I too value debate and differing points of view and was interested in your original post, but now, I just get an uncomfortable feeling reading your replies. They are immature.

I still wish you luck on your way of eating and truly hope it works for you, it sounds like it does.
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 05:02
Registered Member

BF:-
Progress: 25%

ps. I love Dr. Phil too!