Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 08:34

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Well both my eczema and acne slowly improved on high-animal fat low-carb. Before that I was eating very 'healthily' (not) - no sugar, no processed foods, plenty of fruit and vegetables, lots of fish oil, fish etc., sufficient protein - my eczema did not improve on this diet, and eventually I developed a strange rash round my eyes as well. I looked a mess. I am convinced even the natural sugars in fruit are bad for eczema. The worst my eczema ever was was when I ate loads of fruit.

I believe that skin problems especially eczema are fatty acid malfunctions/deficiencies - but not necessarily omega-3. In fact when I was on a high omega 3 diet my acne was worse and my face was constantly red. High omega-3 intake lowers GLA production in the body. GLA is made from omega-6. Taking lots of GLA in addition to omega-3 just made me depressed and I also gained weight. Very odd as GLA is touted as a weight LOSS supplement.

In the end it seems to me it is the saturated fat that has helped me, and plentiful natural vitamin A from animal fat that has healed my skin up. Getting plenty of minerals like magnesium and some calcium and zinc has also helped. These days I no longer have to spend all day applying moisturizers/eczema creams. In fact I ditched soap as well and my skin moisturizes itself from inside out, which is the best way.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 13:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/125/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 100%

This thread will never die

It's great though, I like it when uninformed people make LC bashing posts...so much great information and personal experiences come out of it

For me the mental benefits and weight loss are great...

depression (!) and anxiety is way down
acne much improved
no hangnails
no cavities
nails strong and white
feeling really satified on one helping of food
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 15:41

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I can't help wondering what happened to him. He never popped back in. I wonder if he's gained the weight back? What a shame, if so...
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 03:18

Stats: 179/174/159 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkins-boy
just checking and it says your not to eat fruit...... what rubbish! i am very let down by this diet, and its not that i haven't lost weight cause i have lost 21lbs but with all diets once you start them you will lose a lot in the first 2 weeks...... its just a myth that its only on the atkins, after 2 weeks the weight lose slows down like all diets

i have been on the atkins for 4 weeks, and so far........

headaches
constipiton
2 throat infections
rise in blood pressure
bad breath

this diet is no good for you its not natrual to be constipated and its not natrual not being able to eat fruit, i do worry for you people who are on this, i have a friend who has gone to slimming world in the uk and has lost the same weight as me and is allowed to eat fruit and plenty of "good" food all by eating good and plenty of exersize, if you want to be in shape there is no easy answer! you have to exersize

its not hard to lose weight the reason we are/was all over weight is due to bad eating and no exersize me included

all we have to do is:

cut out all the crap ( you know what that is crispis,chocolate,fatty foods)
eat all good stuff plenty of fruit,veg and pasta and smaller meals
AND EXERSIZE thats the main one

goodluck everyone! what ever you decide

Um am I mistaken or are berries fruit? Because living in the UK, blackberries are already ripe and ready to pick.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

Berries are a type of fruit, yes.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 12:36

Stats: 215/213/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Maybe you should stop the diet and stop complaining. Not every diet is perfect for every person. Did you visit your doctor for the "throat infections" and discuss this diet plan with him? Maybe he could suggest something that is right for you. For those of us it works for, it works well! After losing 25 pounds I look AND feel more healthy!
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 17:03
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
Well both my eczema and acne slowly improved on high-animal fat low-carb. Before that I was eating very 'healthily' (not) - no sugar, no processed foods, plenty of fruit and vegetables, lots of fish oil, fish etc., sufficient protein - my eczema did not improve on this diet, and eventually I developed a strange rash round my eyes as well. I looked a mess. I am convinced even the natural sugars in fruit are bad for eczema. The worst my eczema ever was was when I ate loads of fruit.

Same here. My acne always comes back whenever I eat high carb. And I used to occationally get eczema on my hands and my hands would crack and bleed and it's totally GONE now. No more eczema or acne.

When I cheat now (such as having ice cream every night while on vacation), the acne comes right back. I've been back home for a week now and am still broken out all over my forehead. One day maybe I'll learn.

Last edited by Newbirth : Mon, Aug-21-06 at 19:23.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 18:29

BF:
Progress:

The ice cream is how you learn! At least that's what I tell myself...
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-06, 20:29
Registered Member

Stats: 240/223/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 15%

Constipation? It's doubtful you're drinking enough water. If you're drinking your weight in water, you will have no problem in the bathroom.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-06, 19:02

BF:
Progress:

Caryn, lots of people drink the required water amount and then some, and still have to deal with constipation. It's a common complaint with this way of eating, actually. There's a lot you can do to mitigate the problem---flax, fats, etc.---but saying lack of water is the reason someone is constipated isn't necessarily true.

I agree that it absolutely helps to take in half your weight in water, and it's certainly a good place to start, but other measures may need to be taken, ultimately.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 10:39

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

im sure atkins boy is LONG gone..since he posted this 2 mos ago and never once responded to this 5 page thread. Why do people keep bringing this thread back?
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 11:56

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
im sure atkins boy is LONG gone..since he posted this 2 mos ago and never once responded to this 5 page thread. Why do people keep bringing this thread back?

I don't know...why did you?

I agree though. He's loooooooong gone.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 14:34

Stats: 179/174/159 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 25%

I have been back on this diet one week and already people say I look healthier.
Clearly thread was started by the anti-Atkins trolls, that still can't cope with animal products being healthy.