Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 16:07

Plan: Eat Food
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Prostate Formula

Hi Dandi, I did read that the antimicrobal properties of Echinacea is something that really helps prostate enlargement. Saw Palmetto is the best thing to take for prostate problems.

Here is a Prostate Enlargement formula that you could mix up to assist in reduction:

Equal parts:

Bearberry
Couchgrass
Echinacea
Horsetail
Hyndrangea

Take 3X Daily

We just got our threesome going and now you are going to leave us??? I'm sad......You'll be missed.

Captxray, hemmy! OWWWWWWWWW! Witch hazel is good for that guy. Poor thing, I could just imagine how you must feel along with the stinging nettles! I agree with Dandi, forage in the health food store for those bad boys. They do lose their sting when they dry. They are a natural diuretic, so make sure you drink your water to keep things going.

Interesting finding about the sodium, that is very little.

I LOVE dried apricots! I was raised on homemade ones. The sulphur does have a bit of side effect, however.

My road bike is about 25 years old, Peugeot with Reynolds double-butted tubing. I have one of those gel pads AND a sheepskin on the seat! I need to get it in and tuned up so I can have fun riding this summer. We have a bike trail that goes for about 25 miles right by my house. I also have a mountain bike that I hate, because it's too short and it hurts my wrists. The guy that sold it to me didn't fit me correctly for it. I'll take my antique Peugeot any day!

I've had 2 knee surgeries so my running days are long behind me. Walking is the very best exercise there is, though! Dandi, 5 miles a day is fantastic no matter what pace! I can't wait for the new gym to open, they are going to have an indoor pool, swimming is my true love! It's only junior olympic size, not sure how long that is, but I should be able to get a couple of arm lengths across to be sure. What I hate is feeling like all I'm doing is turning! There is a master's swim program at a local high school that I used to swim in, but the hours are too crazy. That has an olympic size pool, which was very nice.

Have a good one!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 166/131/115
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Heather,
Your post is an enjoyable read. The bike trail near your place sounds like a dream to enjoy!!

Thanks for the formula. I copied it off. We knew about the Echinacea for the prostate but some of the things in your list were new to us, not in any of the sources we've had available.

Any type or distance of exercise is a victory. If we get our exercise in early in the day, the day is off to a good start.

I am going to explore the possibility of using a public computer for posting on here. If that works out I'll be able to stay in touch. I am enjoying getting to know the two of you, razzle and others on this board. So maybe that will work out even after I sell the computer. We'll see how it goes.

Dandi
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 09:51

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Unhappy Don't leave us!!!!

Dandi, I think it is great that you might be able to use the library computer to stay in touch. There are so few of us hunters and gatherers in today's modern world...or on this forum. I think Atkins is a great improvement over the usual diet of America and the world, but paleo is so much better for us humans, and there are so few who have actually "seen the light." It gets lonely being a Neandernut when all else think I'm just too tweaked off course when I talk about the problems with dairy, and cooking oils. Glad to hear that you may not be actually leaving, for good.
Five miles a day is great! I wish I had the time for that, too.

Heather, thank you for the witch hazel tip. I'm still not done with gathering the stinging nettles. I won't let those little weeds get the best of me, yet! I just must be better armed. This weekend, I make a new assault!

Your bike sounds a lot like mine...a little older but, Peugeots are a good, old bike. Hey! They worked when we were younger. Why not now? I'm getting really sick of all of this "high tech" stuff, anyway. Your bike trail sounds a lot like ours...ours is actually two. The other is only about 8 miles long, and ends at Oregon technical Institute, on one end, and right by my house, on the other end. One goes for about 40 miles into the mountains on an old logging train route. Your knees also sound like mine! My running days are long behind me, too. I didn't have surgeries...yet, but my knees are toast. Being a dumb teenager and lifting weights without a spotter did mine in. Also, ended my football carreer.

When I was training for triathalons I would swim 2000 meters a day in an olympic sized pool, complete with lane lines, and everything...boring.....I like to get in and swim a bit, but swimming back and forth, back and forth...looking at the line...Wow! Although, there were days when I just wanted to think...or meditate, and it was kind of nice...sort of like a long motorcycle ride. Except when I'm on my scoot, I can watch the countryside and watch out for hazards and listen to the melodic drone of the engine, but similar.

I hate to admit it, but I'm lonely with my wife gone to my daughter's. I watched a movie last night that she would never watch with me...Romeo is Bleeding. After I watched it, I wished I hadn't, also. I tossed and turned all night. One of my other daughters wants me to come up to Bend this weekend to see her, as her husband will be over in Eugene. But, with the garden just coming up and all of our plants that may need to be brought in because it's projected to be in the 30s overnight, I think I have to stay home....bummer!
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 11:21

BF:
Default Swimming

Agreed, swimming can be very boooooooooring! But, I have found just about any exercise routine can become that way, except maybe biking. When you bike you can go all over the place and if down here if you're not on a bike trail, you take your life into your own hands! That can be exciting!! Just not in a fun way............

Dandi, I sure hope that you can log on at the library. We need you stick in there with us!

Captxray, sorry to hear you are missing your wife. I've never seen Romeo is Bleeding, sounds like a 'Looking for Mr. Goodbar' gone wrong!

I can't imagine 30 degrees at night right now. We are in the middle of a heat wave! We've had a really cool spring then BAM! It's 96 degrees!

Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far and I had an appointment to get my hair trimmed. The salon that I go to recently moved into what used to be a coffee bar. No airconditioning! Can you believe it?????? I had them wash my hair in COLD water. It was at least 100 degrees in there with all the blow dryers going! No more appointments after work, I'm going on Saturday mornings! I asked the lady cutting my hair how on earth could they have served coffee in there in the summer with no a/c? She said, "Iced coffee." Huh, never thought of that!

Gotta run!

You both take care, talk to you soon!
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 17:38
Registered Member

BF:

Heather and captxray,
We are really in between you two on climate right now. I'd guess that it is about 60-70 degrees here today, but windy. Nice for walking, no sweater needed. We've been having foggy mornings, which usually means, capt, that you all are having hot days over your way.

Well, if I use a public computer I won't be posting nearly as often.
But then that's the reason for selling the computer, so I can give more time to being with my DH, making sure we eat and exercise and take care of ourselves better than we were. But I would like to check in every now and then to keep up on the conversation.

Tomorrow Audette's book arrives. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Good for you, capt, attack those nettles. But wear your armour.
Let us know how it goes. I hope your wife hurries home soon. No fun being lonely. I hope some meditative and peaceful activity fills part of your time and makes the loneliness go away for that time.

A woman at the natural foods store loaned me a book she bought at the library book sale. I was going to pass the title and author of the book on to you two, but then I didn't think and returned the book. Now I can't remember the title or author. The book was about cancer and was written in 1983. It talked about how the cancer society and medical institutions wouldn't recognize the connection between cancer and nutrition. That has changed a lot in twenty years. But what interested me was the author's reference to how early man ate and that showed us how to eat too. It wasn't a major part of the book but it let me know talk about the paleo WOE has been going on for sometime. It seems every time I turn around now I'm hearing or reading something about the paleo WOE.

Last night on the news they had a thing on Calorie Restriction. It wasn't done with much depth. I recently read Walford's (I hope I got his name right) on it, found it at the public library. I think the paleo WOE tends to be an automatic Calorie Restriction WOE along with being natural. Anyway I was interested to see the media covering such a subject. It shows how much attitudes toward such subjects has changed.

Dandi
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 13:49

Talking YUP!

Cancer is an auto-immune disease. Auto-immune diseases, for the most part in the human population, are caused by eating grains in large quantities, and some dairy. Nice to see that there have been some who voiced reason in the past.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 13:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%

Quote:
Originally posted by Dandi

Tomorrow Audette's book arrives. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

You're in for a pleasant read Just finished reading it, and loved it.

Wa'il
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:08

Angry What does Wa'il mean, anyway?

I've been learning most of the little abbreviations, but what does it mean? Am I missing out on something important?

Also, I agree. The book should prove a fun read. He's a falconer, you know. He also brings back road kill, on his morning walks, for his falcon to dive on. He' a MENSA
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:26
Forum Founder

Default Re: What does Wa'il mean, anyway?

Quote:
Originally posted by captxray
I've been learning most of the little abbreviations, but what does it mean? Am I missing out on something important?

You're not missing anything, since it's not an abbreviation It's a middleastern name most likely originated in Yemen, also can be found with different spellings like Wayel, Wa'el, Wael etc.

Wa'il
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 15:32

Question How do you pronounce your name?

Is it pronounced Wa-el? I learned something new. Sorry that I thought it was some sort of code.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 15:59
Forum Founder

It's more like wa-ill, and no worries, this is a frequent question around here

Wa'il
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 16:02
Registered Member

BF:

The book arrived yesterday, Interlibrary Loan, (hardback) and I read some last night, then got up at 4 am and read some more. Then today, the copy I had ordered arrived at the bookstore (paperback). So I returned the library copy and finished reading my own copy. It is interesting. Now I'll go back and re-read it, index and highlight things I want to be able to find. It was a more scholarly book than I expected after reading some of the reviews on the Net, but easy reading too. The recipes are interesting.
I'm looking forward to trying some of them.

I chuckled at one point while reading. My DH is 5 ft. 10 in. and weighs, since losing weight, 150#. He looks thin. Ray Audette described himself as 6 ft and weighing 145#. Now that is thin!!

We've walked nearly seven miles today and enjoyed it thoroughly despite the strong winds. One disadvantage to losing weight -- strong winds can blow one about more. At one location the two of us nearly did a Mary Poppins.

We are eating a lot of almond butter and tahini. I'd say about 3-6 T. daily for each of us. I thought that would slow or stop our weight loss, but so far it hasn't, so it doesn't look as if it will. On Atkins I gained weight and always thought it was so much fat in my diet. But we're eating a lot of fats now and losing. The scales haven't shown another drop in weight but my clothes are looser so I know I am losing.

This is all very interesting.

Dandi
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:30

BF:
Default Almond Butter

Hi Dandi, what are you eating your almond butter on? Is it just by eatself? I haven't had any, but I've eaten cashew butter - YUMMY! That was in my vegetarian days, though. I have found that eating a few raw pecans at night has been staving off my cravings quite nicely. They have just a bit of sweetness and TONS of fiber.

I stopped eating berries this week and instead switched to cucumbers, tomatoes and 2 eggs for breakfast. This seems to be a real good combo for me in the morning. I also have added a light over my computer at work, with one of those Reveal light bulbs. I'm thinking that the additional light, and it not being flourescent, is also improving my mood and energy level. Our offices don't have windows, so I don't get any natural light at work, except when I go home for lunch.

It got hot again yesterday, but we are heading towards a cool down, lower 80s. We get our natural air conditioning coming in tonight, fog from the ocean. So, things will be back to normal, weather-wise. Can't take that heat at night, I sleep miserably!

Hope all is well with you both!

Captxray, did the baby come yet? What's going on there?

Talk to you soon!
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 12:40
Registered Member

BF:

Heather,
Sometimes I mix the almond butter with shredded, unsweetened coconut. Othertimes I spread a little amond butter on apple quarters. That's my favorite -- but I have to watch I don't eat too much apple or it causes hypoglycemic reactions. Sometimes I just eat the almond butter off the spoon -- that's a good and quick keep-me-going snack.

I stir tahini into some water and pour it over my salad for a dressing. Tomatoe and/or avocado can be mixed with it for more flavor. I want to experiment with ground herbs and see which ones will go well with the tahini dressing. I'm also going to try mixing the almond butter and tahini in a salad dressing.

Cashews used to be a treat but we're off them now. Too many warnings about them, and plaeo doesn't allow for them.

Everyone,

I am really enjoying Audette's book. I've read it twice now and highlighted a lot in it. It just makes sense to me, except I still wonder what percent of the diet was meat. Greens and roots would be so much easier to gather. I'll be watching for more information on that percentage.

We have found we can buy beef without hormones or antibiotics in our area at a natural foods store. And a clerk at Fred Meyers told me they usually carry one brand of it too but they were out that day. It is spendy but my DH seems to react to the regular beef and chicken raised with hormones, etc., so for right now I think he needs to hormone/antibiotic free meats. Fortunately naturally raised eggs are readily available now.

A woman is coming in three hours to look at the computer. It sounds pretty sure she'll take it, so I don't know when I'll be on next.

Dandi
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 13:03
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Dandi
I am really enjoying Audette's book. I've read it twice now and highlighted a lot in it. It just makes sense to me, except I still wonder what percent of the diet was meat. Greens and roots would be so much easier to gather.

I think this is the million dollars question

The often quoted Eaton paper "Paleolithic Nutrition" suggests 30% meat in the 1985 version, and 35% in the 1997 version. That's what Cordain is basing his plan on, and his diatribe against high-fat, high-protein, low-carb "fads".

However, the numbers are just guestimates from a couple of modern day foragers. They seem to forget the seasonal difficulties in finding edible veggies and fruits then, and the different climate in the Paleo period.

That's another reason to respect Audette, he doesn't claim to know, just eat all none-tech, and don't force any ratios.

Wa'il