Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 20:43

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
You know what we need? We need a scale that tells us how much of our weight is water and how much is fat! There is something demoralizing about that jump in weight which we know intellectually is water, given that the jump happens almost overnight, but still find discouraging. I am still entranced by the number it seems...(see first paragraph of this post LOL).

I have one of these scales! My tanita measure weight, bodyfat% and water%. I really ought to hop on it long enough to see the water number sometime.

One thing psmf has emphasized is the fat vs. lbm (everything but fat) issue. I get it now... it's ok to see little blips, cause I know it's not fat. For example on this last trip, I gained 5lbs. There is no way I could have gained 5lbs of fat in 3 nights. I did not eat 17,500 excess calories, so I was pretty confident it was water. I'm at the point now where it's just frustrating to see the blip up, but it doesn't make me feel like a failure (which is how I used to feel with fluctuations on weight watchers).
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 21:32

Plan: Neandergirl
Stats: 145/131/122 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:36/34/19
Progress: 61%

Cindy
PB

when I get to a new low it just pops up on the scale after much diligent dieting. Then it goes away for a long time while my body struggles trying to get it back on. I think its a water struggle but I dont give up anything without a fight.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 22:36

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

With you on that one, Pink. Cindy is still on easy street when it comes to losing. I think she has a good metabolism.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 23:01

Oh Val, a woe is me. I have been so good for so long. No diet break refeeds nada zip zilch.

until....the banana cake I made to night for dh. I am usually good about not having any of what I make him. Tonight I did the deed.

I guess it was a neccessary evil-not looking forward to my nemisis the scale tomorrow though.

Have been steady at 130 for weeks... letcha know what the out come is.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 23:04

Water weight is the outcome. Don't sweat it. Carbs put on heaps of water for me. Up to 3 lbs for bugger all.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 02:06

Quote:
With you on that one, Pink. Cindy is still on easy street when it comes to losing. I think she has a good metabolism.

This made me laugh Oh and I definately do the same thing... new low -> small blip up->work more to get back to that low and a bit more... I really should update my psmf weight loss graph. It's got dramatic peaks and valleys

It's about time my metabolism started working....it took a long time for me to figure out what was wrong (hypothyroid) and a bit longer to get treated and have that work! I think my 12 month stall was long enough And we won't even talk about my 30lb regain

Pinkquinn - you must be looking pretty lean already at 130. I'm wondering if you're gonna have a tough fight to get a few more pounds off. Are you really small framed? I'm guessing at your height and weight, you're probably very close to goal.

Last edited by CindyG : Tue, Nov-15-05 at 02:15.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 05:12

Cindy, I was indeed meaning your post-thyroid corrected Brand New metabolism that appears to be doing well indeed now..and may it continue on.

Yes Pink I agree with Cindy- you must be pretty lean. I cannot imagine being 130 lbs...sigh.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 11:16

This just in
three pound gain from one piece of cake.
yes I am small boned, I guess I'm just splitting hairs trying to get to prebaby weight. Now its a matter of principle. If I get to prebaby I will have lost 45 lbs. I will be pretty proud of myself as it will have taken more than 3 years to get it off.
I just kept chipping away......
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 11:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't worry, its just water. You can't gain 3 pounds of fat from a piece of cake. Thank god! Otherwise I'd weight 989 pounds...

Hey, you know how I was all happy I only gained 1 pound from my diet break? Well, the other pound showed up today. Bastich!
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 11:32

Pinkquinn - Ah... pre-baby weight. It sounds like you've lost 40lbs to date! Well done! It's tough to get the weight off after any hormonal change. Are you able to fit in your pre-baby clothes? I'm wondering if you've got a bit more muscle now (I'm not sure but I seem to recall you workout). If the clothes fit and you're happy with the way you look, I say toss the scale!

Chipping away.... oh how I know this one. Another .6 gone today. Still up .6 from my low. I'm so ready for VT! If I could just lose .6 every day, I'd be chipping away a giant chunk by the end of the year!

Nancy - I hate it when the extra pounds show up late!! I hate those party crashers!!

Brand New Metabolism!! I love that Val! Yep, the new and improved metabolism is making a world of difference!
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 16:40

Well, finally got all the water weight off and down a half pound into VT this morning at 148.5. Going to Brisbane to meet a friend today for lunch, so this will be very short lived achievement! The good news with all this is that it means I can still lose gradually on 1200 calories so this is very good news as I think I can continue on that almost indefinitely...nothing like extreme PSMF to make 1200 calories seem like a feast!
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 16:44

Woohoo!! At least someone is in VT today!! 1200 cals a day sounds like a luxury plan
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 16:52

I think my exercising is helping make the net calories better, Cindy. But it is wonderful news as it was with considerable trepidation that I started TKD at higher calories. Having just that bit of extra fat makes all the difference to being able to stay on track I am finding. I prefer trying to stay ketogenic because of the water retaining business, so in a way I guess I am doing OWL, but with dextrose carbs targeted around weight lifting. I have ordered some pure dextrose, and in the meantime am using a piece of bread and half a fruit before lifting.
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 07:34
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome

Quote:
if I eat any carbs at all I put on weight. I only had 1 smallish dinner roll, no butter, about 1/3 of a potato, and a small piece of cheesecake at the dinner on Sat night, and bang, 3 lbs are back.
This is what I mean when I say "Atkins is not forgiving." If you eat any kind of carbs, you gain. I can't go through life, eating no carbs, and paranoid all the time that my little break with family and friends are going to screw with my weight.

Hello everyone! Nancy, power came on 2 weeks later. Still trying to replace a lot of stuff I lost in the fridge. That's an expensive endeavor.

Cindy, how's the traveling going? I read this article in a newspaper about how many hotels are catering to women.. Giving them their own floors, better things on the menu, different room construction.. They want the women to return. Have you stayed in any of these hotels? They even changed the shower curtain rod to accomdate women!!!! Excellent article.

Val, I agree with you. 1,200 calories is perfect, and you don't feel deprived. I'm with you there.

Truffle, ^5 on cooking your own chicken now. You will reduce your sodium a lot, and probably lose more weight now. Anything canned has sodium as a preservative.

I do think most of our water weight is due to the hidden sodium in all the foods we're eating. Even the cottage cheese, PB Girl. Everything has sodium in it, whether we care to indulge or not is the question.

Good to see everyone here.
I took some paintings to a club yesterday, and hung them for sale. fingers and toes are crossed. Been eating good, except for the sweet tooth at night. I found some Hershey's chocolate syrup at the store, and it's been sticking to my fingers at night Bad Lynne!
I need to go back to induction and try to lose 10 lbs. Then re evaluate what I want to do with myself. The hurricane screwed with me, the Food and Wine show screwed with me... C ordered some new Pinot from Oregon, and that's screwing with me.... I swear... I have a road sign attached to my body that says, "Ignore the fat lady." LOLOL!

Happy Wed everyone!
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 10:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think sodium is our enemy. In fact, Lyle points out how you really need to keep your sodium intake up because this diet is so diuretic. Sure you might cart around a little extra water weight, but sodium keeps our hearts beating.