Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-05, 03:30
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

I'm an apple, too. Hourglasses look sooo much better! Ah well. As far as measurements, just try and take them at the same spot. There's still a bit of error, so I wouldn't count something as increasing or decreasing until it's been consistent for a few weeks.

Glad to see you back in it, Lasha and Cathy!!

Yesterday: got my chest w/o done.......fixin' to do quads here in a few.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-05, 10:34
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Got my lifting in last night .

Did yoga this morning instead of cardio, because I think I may have pinched a nerve. Hopefully I will be able to do some cardio tonight, but if not, I will at least do another yoga session.

I am a pear too Mischa. Big thighs, hips and ass, no chest. I hate looking out of proportion, and I'm hoping that lifting will help me lean out my thighs and hips (but I like my ass ).
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-05, 13:13
Battling the Bulge!

Plan: none specific-
Stats: 259.5/227.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:2high! (no idea?)
Progress: 30%

Finally got back at it this morning. Treadmill-
Didn't do HIIT though- since for soem straaaaaange reason- my hip was hurting. So I just walked at a steady pace. Prolly best anyway- since I hadn't worked out in days & days. Ease back into it.

Tomorrow I will lift. YAY! I have missed it so much!

GOSH- I'm one of those APPLES too!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR
I hate that! I have that old "spare tire" thing going for SURE!
Hate that hate it hate it! ICK ICK ICK!!!!!

Ok- anyway.

#64   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-05, 16:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 174/135/130 Female 62"
BF:36%/ 32% / 20%
Progress: 89%

I finally got started today. I did HIIT on the treadmill for 20 mins. I'm doing the Couch Potato to 5k schedule from coolrunning.com. It felt good to finally get to the gym. Pammie has sent me a list of exercises for my weight training. I'm going to start out slow and easy before I progress to the BFL schedule. I don't think I could do as many reps as BFL recommends, at least not yet. I'm in awe of what each of you are already accomplishing! WTG!!

Well, I'm off to start my gym log. It's nice to have something to put in it!
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 03:04
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hey Enchant! I'm doing the coolrunning potato to 5K program, too! Love it!
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 08:09
Battling the Bulge!

I had UBWO this morning.
It felt SO GOOD when I started lifting that weight & I could feel those muscles working & warming up! SO KEWL~!!!

Will log the details in my gym log for those that are interested.

I think I'll shoot for my first HIIT since TOM arrived last week.
I feel up to it once again finally!
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 13:33

Plan: Atkins...hp/hf
Stats: 333/313.2/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

yay donna! too kewl!

whohooo girls i just finished my lifting! i restarted the baby got back routine i did a few months ago with great success and i LOVE it!! ill log it into my gym log when i get back from picking up the kids!
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 14:55

Plan: ummmm....
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:yes/it's/fat
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa
you crack me up Lasha

Way to you on your loss of weight and inches!!!! This is fantastic

not sure what I am...I have a big ass and huge thighs..a pear I guess

and mischa, we all know that pears are JUICY!!!

donna and cathy hope you're feelin all better and glad you're getting back to it.

ok girls, if so many of us are apples, why are all the clothes made to fit pears????? huh? HUH? no offense to you pears of course.

pammie ~ baby got back? tell us more pleeeeease.....

enchantra, i'm so sorry, i have yet to greet you. glad you're joining us. i also practiced a lot before i attempted actual BFL. you'll do great! if you decide to spend the next few weeks working up to it, i'm sure some of us will be getting started with something new after this challenge ends (sept 25th), so stick around! PS: you are very pretty!

got my UBWO done this morning, and early too. felt good. tried out the EZ curl. friday i'll try out the straight bar. i REALLY hafta get some weights here at home. soon... soon.....

Last edited by Lasha : Wed, Aug-17-05 at 15:05.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 08:43

BF:

i am doing fine! i did my lower body workout yesterday and i feel fantastic! now if only these damn allergies would settle down i would be perfect!

ok...well a few people have asked about what weight training program i am doing now....here it is...

( taken from beyond low carb)

Baby got back

The back can be thought of as vertical and horizontal planes. Back training should really be split into two workouts - one devoted to horizontal pulling (thickness based workout / rowing movements) and one devoted to vertical pulling (width based workout / pull ups).

The hit you get from heavy deadlifts on leg day will round out your back workout.

Horizontal Pulling
  • Barbell Rows (vary the grip between pronated and supinated)
  • T-Bar Rows (vary the grip between pronated and supinated)
  • Rack Pulls (vary the pin height, usually set them set below the knee/mid shin area)
  • Seated Cable Rows
Vertical Pulling
  • Lat Pulldowns (various grips and widths)
  • Pull Ups
  • Chin Ups
  • Pull overs (Nautilus, cable, bar)
Grip
Pick one and stick with it throughout the course of the program - then switch when you want to change exercises. This would be most consistent and you'll be able to tell whether you're progressing or not. If you take a bent BB row - you'll find that you can probably lift more weight with a supinated grip because the biceps are assisting the movement. So if you're switching back and forth between grips during each workout, or every other workout, then it may be difficult to gage progress.

Supinated grip means palms facing your body. Pronated means palms facing away from your body. Semi-supinated means palms facing each other. A pull-up uses a pronated grip, palms facing away from your body. Chin-ups use the other two grips.

TYPES OF DEADLIFTS

SLDL

SLDLs are decent for the hip extension function and therefore your lower back, but not so much for great upper back development, at least comparatively speaking.

Regular Deadlifts

Regular deadlifts are a 'hip dominant' exercise. They hit the whole posterior chain - from hamstrings up to traps. They are the king of back development.

Do them first in your back workout.

You can be pretty sure you're doing it right if you're getting war wounds on your shins. It's basically a sign that the bar is staying really close to your body, which is correct.

You keep your sets short for two reasons:
  • 1. It is a complex movement and form tends to break down with higher reps.
  • 2. It is a strength movement. Your goal is to get strong on this exercise.
Keep the reps under 5 with regular deads. You can go higher with stiffs.

There IS overlap between these two exercises. SLDLs obviously hit some back, and regular deads obviously hit some hams. But stiff leg deads will not do for your back what regular, off the floor deads will.

Rack Pulls
A rack pull is like a regular deadlift off pins.

Click here for rack pulls

Pulling from the floor is more difficult. The weight has more distance to travel, and uses more glutes and hams. If you pull from pins you can focus on your back, which is essentially what’s working on the upper portion of a deadlift, and because your ROM is shorter you should be able to lift a bit heavier. Vary the pin height, but not set to set or workout to workout. It's a matter of being able to gauge your progress. If you change things too frequently, you really can't tell, from a strength standpoint, if you're progressing or not. You might stick with something for four weeks, and then switch it up a bit.

BUILDING IT INTO A WORKOUT
You could pair the horizontal pulling workout with horizontal pushing (chest) and the vertical pulling with vertical pushing (shoulders) to ensure that volume around the joints is kept constant.

However, this assumes for the most part that muscle groups are being trained once per week. An upper/lower split or an undulating split (with increased frequency, where everything basically gets hit twice per week) is better for hypertrophy. The one thing you have to consider when doing this is that the volume per bodypart per workout is lower, but the weekly volume, since you're hitting the muscle more often, is still fair.

4 DAY SPLIT

DAY 1 - HORIZONTAL PUSH PULL
Horizontal plane back (pull)
Select from:
  • Bent barbell rows (vary the grip between pronated and supinated)
  • T-Bar Rows (vary the grip between pronated and supinated)
  • Rack Pulls (vary the pin height, usually set them set below the knee/mid shin area)
  • Seated Cable Rows
  • Dumbbell row
  • Hammer Strength row
Horizontal plane chest (push)
Select from:
  • Flat barbell press
  • Dumbbell press
  • Low incline press.
  • Flat flyes
(Standing calves, short, heavy sets)

DAY 2 - QUAD DOMINANT LEGS
Go short and heavy on two quad dominant exercises and lighter with higher reps for one ham dominant exercise. (Here, hams are accessory, so they go lighter, with higher reps)

(bicep work)

DAY 3 - VERTICAL PUSH/PULL
Vertical plane back (pull)
Select from:
  • Lat Pulldowns (various grips and widths)
  • Pull Ups
  • Chin Ups
  • Pull overs (Nautilus, cable, bar)
Vertical plane shoulders (push)
Select from:
  • Standing barbell press
  • Dumbbell press
  • Arnies
  • Laterals, etc
(Seated calves, long sets)

DAY 4 – HIP/HAMSTRING DOMINANT LEGS
Opposite from day 2. Go short and heavy on 2 hip/ham dominant exercises and light with higher reps for one quad dominant exercise. (Here, quads are accessory, so they go lighter, with higher reps)

(Tricep work)

all sets/reps on this workout are short and sweet ( 6 sets 4....5 sets 5...5 sets 6....etc) EXCEPT the accessory exercises obn leggie days...these should be longer reps with lighter weights.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 09:02

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

wow Pammie, looks like you have planned it all out I am taking it slow these days, My knee keep bothering me, and I even had to put some icyhot on it again this morning after walking the kids to school.
Well, wishing everyone an awsome weekend
We're heading to the Falcons vs Titans game tonight right after the boys get out of school.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantera
Hi Lasha! Thanks for stopping by my journal. I am enjoying working out and I love the support! Thanks for the encouragement. I look at how far each of you has come and it really inspires me!

amy, i'm so glad you have joined us! it doesn't seem so long ago that i was right where you are now, just getting started. don't feel you have so far to go, the days add up quickly! i'm so glad you feel inspired!
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 09:19

susan ~ have an AWESOME time at the game tonight! what fun family time.

pammie ~ WOW! thanks for that very helpful and informative post! you have so much knowledge and info, i think you should consider being a personal trainer. now there's some CASHOLA!! $$

i have LBWO today, but i will go later. i didn't get moving soon enough this am. and missed my window at the gym when the weight room is less crowded.

everybody happy friday!
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 09:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasha

pammie ~ WOW! thanks for that very helpful and informative post! you have so much knowledge and info, i think you should consider being a personal trainer. now there's some CASHOLA!! $$

hehehe well gawd all i did was cut and paste from that other site goofball....

but seriously YEAH...ive thought a lot about the personal trainer route....we'll see once i am buff what i decide....lots of school for that one i think....
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 09:26
Battling the Bulge!

Looks like everyone is doing such a great job!

YAY!!!

PAMMIE- that work out looks awesome! May have to give that one a go later on when I get bored with BFL.

I had LBWO this morning & will log the dretails in my gym log.
I'm definitely feeling it today too- so I KNOW those legs are gonna be sore again! he he

OOOOH- My husband has been playing around on the weight bench some too! WOOO HOOOO Pumping up those tree trunk arms of his!
He is made to where he could EASILY get huge if he wanted (muscular) to. I sure wish he WOULD!!! he he he He already has alot of muscle mass & don't work out ANY~! So I can only imagine if he started working out several times a week.

Oh- sorry- I took off on a tangent there- this should be in my journal. ha ha

Everyone keep going! Your all doing GREAT!
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 13:43
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Hey everyone,

I am still having these headaches, so I haven't been working out....ghaaaahhh. I will be seeing my doctor on Monday, so hopefully I will start feeling better and can get back to it soon.

Pammie - thanks a lot for posting the info on the BGB workout. It sounds like you and Lisa (Dane) both like it a lot. I want to get in a good 4-6 consistent weeks of my full body workouts, before I switch to splits. I might have to give this one a try. I'll have a lot to learn before I do though, some of those lifts I've never done, and have no clue. I'm sure I can count on you guys to help me figure it all out though. Till then, I'll do the best I can.

Well, I hope everybody has a great weekend.
Cathy