Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 08:52
Bound for Onederland

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/188/199 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:lil' bit, ok lots
Progress: 127%

Quote:
I have a hard time when I go in stores because I used to always buy myself a treat.
I was just thinking about this the other day how conditioned I am with buying treats or food when I'm out. I think i have figured it out. I grew up living far away from town and when we went into town it was a big deal. We would shop all day and eat out and buy treats and to this day i think that is why i am conditioned that I get something to eat when I go shopping or run errands. It's a struggle.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 09:07

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 227/216/177 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Buying treats!

Good Topic!

I have the same thing! I have the habit of buying a treat when out shopping--it seemed to make it more special. Sometimes it works to buy a designer water for a treat or a diet soda--but trying to stay away from those. I still look at the local coffee store where I used to buy myself a frappucino or crave an ice cream--its hard to change those impulses!

Sno
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 17:41
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I was thinking about you all when I went grocery shopping today. I decided I wasn't going to cave. When I got to the sugar free milanos display at the end of the meat aisle I silently cussed it out!

Dr. Phil's book says that the grocery store has 50,000 temptations in it. When you think that the store is trying to get you to spend money anyway they can it kind gives you a challenge to not fall for the marketing. Well this was my first time ever I AM VICTORIOUS!

Still on plan today, stretched instead of walked because I felt kind of tight. I'm also really excited about my thyroid. It has been low for a few months and am slowly increasing the amount. I seem to be getting close to where I should be. I was in trace ketosis for the first time today. Made my whole day.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 17:45
Registered Member

Scrapbookr I was looking at your before picture, you look really good. We have the same kind of build. (I think someone was hitting on you over there)!
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 20:10

BF:
Default keepin with the program

Hi all:

Yeah--I know what you mean about 50,000 temptations. I was at the health food store today and bought myself two bottles of designer water and some really fine smelling grapefruit lotion--it did it for me.

Nawchem--awesome about the ketosis--I need to remember to use the strips--it would help me to stay in the zone.

Sunday--walk 30 minutes
Monday--walk 30 minutes and stretch and ice
Tuesday-walk 30 minutes and stretch and ice

Sno
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 06:24

Plan: My Own
Stats: 250/233.1/150 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

The kids were on the computer all day yesterday! their still asleep now so I finally get to post. Way to go everyone! Passing up temptations is hard but it's one of those things we have to live with. I like the quote I've seen on this site. "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!" I try to remember that, I love seeing the scale move down more than I love my Orange Milano cookies!

Mon - walked 1 mile, 25 min core secret tape
Tues - Walked 2 miles, 45 min Core Secrets tape
Wed - 1 hour Firm Total Sculpt
Thurs
Fri
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 06:40
Bound for Onederland

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/188/199 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:lil' bit, ok lots
Progress: 127%
Smile

Thanks nawchem for your comment.
Quote:
Scrapbookr I was looking at your before picture, you look really good. We have the same kind of build. (I think someone was hitting on you over there)!
I went back and looked at my picture and saw the comment. Did I have Cyber Sex and not know it?!
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 15:58
Registered Member

Default what do you think about this?

I was just reading someones journal and was just blown away by what they had to do to lose weight. Eating less then 1000cal and about 5 carbs per day sometimes none and working out 3x a day, almost never ate a vegetable, did the meat and egg fast 33 days in row. It made me wonder what the heck I'm doing? I don't remember reading any of that in atkins. Whoa

I read a success story a few days ago and it was very similar. This guy ate 3-10 carbs/day.

Is that the way to go?
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 16:02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookr
Thanks nawchem for your comment. I went back and looked at my picture and saw the comment. Did I have Cyber Sex and not know it?!

scrapbookr
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 13:52

Plan: My Own
Stats: 250/233.1/150 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

I just found a good quote for all of us.

Failure is sacrificing what we want most for what we want NOW!

This is just some food for thought.

Mon - walked 1 mile, 25 min core secret tape
Tues - Walked 2 miles, 45 min Core Secrets tape
Wed - 1 hour Firm Total Sculpt
Thurs - Walked 2 miles
Fri
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 20:27

BF:
Default Great quote!

Hey Kd--great quote--it takes a minute to think about what it means--but that is where I am at right now--and I need to get on it more--I went up a pound last week--pooo!! I cant kid myself--I was eating way too many low carb treats. It was bound to catch up with me. I plan to refocus and taper down for next monday--after which I want to eliminate all lo-carb treats. Its time.

I was thinking about what you were describing, Nawchem--I know that in the past when I was close to my goal I really had to get radical to drop weight--and now I think I was trying to lose weight I shouldnt have--I set myself a too low weight. I wonder if people get fixed on a certain weight and starve themselves to reach it--even if they shouldnt be that thin.

I know right now if I eat below 30 carbs a day and stay away from the franken foods that I can lose a consistent 1-2 lb a week. The calories are between 1500-2000.

I know that some may want to lose faster but for me if I lose fast then I gain back fast--I dont want to do that this time. I also know that the less I eat while dieting the harder it is to maintain weight loss. So I admire people who can do the hard regimens like that--I have done it, but I cannot do it for a long time--this I can. I keep remembering that story from DANDR about the lady who stayed on induction for 2 years and lost a steady 5 lbs per month. If that is me that is fine--I am happy with reaching my final goal 1 year from now--especially if I keep it off.
Good topica all

Tamara
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-05, 21:12

BF:
Default exercising!

I was tired coming home today--but exercised anyway--it has been a good week for exercise--I still am not like some of you who exercise for a reward--my goal, but I am doing it!!

Sno

Sunday--walk 30 minutes
Monday--walk 30 minutes and stretch and ice
Tuesday-walk 30 minutes and stretch and ice
Wednesday--rest
Thurs--walk 20 minutes stretch and ice
Friday--walk 40 minutes stretch and ice.

Sno
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 13:26
Registered Member

I made an excellent recipe. Dana Carpender's Cauliflower-Green Bean Casserole. I substituted asparagus for the green beans. It is soooo good. I've been eating it for breakfast. I put all the numbers in fitday since Dana doesn't give calorie counts and the carbs were half of what she had. Maybe she calculated for 4 servings instead of 8. It is 91% fat, 3carbs and tastes just like potato salad.

I am quitting my treat days. The one on Thursday made my weight go up 4lbs, 6 choc chip cookies are not worth it. I'm still up a 1.5lbs. And it knocked me out of ketosis 2 days. I was reading this story in the paper about a guy that lost 500lbs in a year. He has a treat every 2 weeks after he weighs in at the doctors office, he says it keeps him from getting too obsessed about food that way. I was thinking that might be better. I'm not sure exactly what Dr. Phil had in mind. He just said if your craving something eat your regular food and if you still want it then have it. So maybe I should just wait until I really feel a craving instead of scheduling a weekly one?

I mean I know I am not going the rest of my life without eating nachos, or chocolate. Its just that if I schedule it, it makes me feel like I'm controlling the craving instead of the other way around.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 13:59

BF:
Default mmm green goddess dressing

Hi all:

here is my adaptation of green goddess dressing--great on lettuce or with celery.

Green Goddess

1 tbsp anchovy paste
1/2 cup prepared or homemade mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoons minced dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
2 chopped green onions including stalk
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine the anchovies, mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, tarragon, basil, onion, lemon juice, and
the 1/4-teaspoon of salt in a blender. Puree to make a smooth dressing. Season to taste with salt
and pepper. Use immediately or store, covered, in the refrigerator, for up to 2 days.
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 14:07

BF:
Default re treats

Hi Nawchem:

I have had the same struggles with treats--it seems like I should have them to be sane, but at the same time they make me have cravings and shoot me out of ketosis for a long time(like last week). I know when I was on Weight Watchers I would have a treat after I weighed--but sometimes it caused a binge.

I think I do better when I wait until I really really have to have something. But it is easy to make that every day. Keep talking about it--maybe we can come up with some answers. Perhaps for me it has to do with making non-foods a treat.

Hope everyone is doing well--let us know how you are doing--I know it is easy to get sidetracked when you are on the long haul but lets keep each other posted and make our goals for July 15!!

Sno