Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 14:31

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
The government keeps them in business by fostering a black market - which means we all keep spending money, through taxation, on the (insanely ineffective) war on drugs. Funny thing happened when prohibition ended - the black market for alcohol collapsed.

Thank you! I was going to say something similar, but yours was so much pithier.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 14:43

Plan: eat less, exercise more
Stats: 229/185/154 Male 66 inches
BF:41%/28%/13%
Progress: 59%

Quote:
It's always something making someone a victim in need of rescue isn't it?

Gosh and to think some people manage to get in work, play, supervision of their kids, cooking, feeding the family well - and posting here too - quite a feat, huh?

Ah yes, the ever-popular "If the poor people can't afford bread, why don't they eat steak?" argument. Ever thought of becoming a French aristocrat?
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 14:47
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000times
Ah yes, the ever-popular "If the poor people can't afford bread, why don't they eat steak?" argument. Ever thought of becoming a French aristocrat?

You're actually amusing.....last year I did feed my family very well on a food stamp budget - controlled carb actually - showed it can be done and that IMO more money wasn't the problem, but lack of education about how to shop and plan was. And education is something one can change - willful dependance, and the continued fostering of that dependance, on the other hand, not easy to fix.

Why do you think is it so difficult for a poor woman to feed her family well - seriously, the vast majority of the planet lives in utter poverty - none of them can do it? What's different in those that can and do from the victims you think need rescue?
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 15:03

BF:

Quote:

I bought breakfast this morning for $1.28 and lunch this afternoon for $3.32. At McDonald's.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 15:18
Contrarian

Interesting...I just looked up the stats, and I live in a city more poor than LA!

Los Angeles (2000 census data) = median household income $36,687; per capita income was $20,671

18.3% of families are below the poverty line.

Where I live (2000 census data) = median household income $33,729; per capita income $19,507

19.2% of the population are below the poverty line
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 15:20
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Interesting...I just looked up the stats, and I live in a city more poor than LA!

But you don't have to pay $1,000,000 for your shack in Mizzou either.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 15:38
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
But you don't have to pay $1,000,000 for your shack in Mizzou either.

Nope...but we have a lot of homes out here priced well over a million dollars - well above the average price of a home out here......but, throwing the million dollar home into the mix is kind of a red herring - south LA isn't filled with million dollar homes now is it? Nope...I just looked realtor.com and homes there, like here, are mostly in the range of $85,000 to $200,000.....and probably like here, the million dollar homes aren't sitting next to the ones going for $100,000.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 15:44

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
If the community doesn't want crack dealers, they could just refuse to patronize them, and the dealers would go out of business. So why are we spending all this money on the War Against (Some) Drugs?

Quote:
The government keeps them in business by fostering a black market - which means we all keep spending money, through taxation, on the (insanely ineffective) war on drugs. Funny thing happened when prohibition ended - the black market for alcohol collapsed.

NOW you are making sense 1000!

Regina...I think I love you
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 07:23

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
Oh, my goodness, girlbug2, I just noticed you're from California! And you're agreeing with an ignorant hick from the sticks?

Yes, it may surprise the rest of the country that California is not all-Dem, hippie tree huggers. It would also surprise the rest of the country to learn that Midwesterners can also be educated and intelligent.

Although born in Cali, I lived a significant portion of my impressionable years in Colorado and Illinois. I've obvserved both sides of the stereotyping. So maybe that's the influence that turned me conservative, eh?
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 08:36
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I think the issue here is really one of some think that fast good is acceptable and some think it is unhealthy. I think conservatives looking deep into their hearts cannot object to the local governments writing laws and governing a community. Communities and cities should follow the will of people as long as it is not unconstitutional.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 10:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
I think the issue here is really one of some think that fast good is acceptable and some think it is unhealthy. I think conservatives looking deep into their hearts cannot object to the local governments writing laws and governing a community. Communities and cities should follow the will of people as long as it is not unconstitutional.

First of all, I don't consider myself to be a conservative.

Second, I don't understand why it is that if you believe fast food is unhealthy, you need to impose that on me through the laws. If you don't want to eat fast food, don't eat it. Simple. The problem isn't that I would force you to consume something you don't like, but that you would attempt to limit my access to something I do want. The nice thing about my approach is that you get to do what you want to do, and I get to do what I want to do. Neither hurts the other.

Imagine that the "will of the people" in your city or community decided that something you enjoyed was unhealthy for those who consume it and therefore everyone in the community should have their access to that commodity restricted. Would you consider that fair? Wouldn't you even maybe think that the government was kind of acting like you were a little kid and it was your parent? Maybe a little "paternalistic"? "We know what's best for you, honey, and even if you don't agree, you'll have to do it our way, because you're a silly little girl who needs the 'will of the people' to decide what you should do."

I honestly can't see how anyone can argue in favor of this approach. The only thing I can think is that you simply can't imagine yourself having your own freedoms limited this way.

It reminds me of those who would impose prayer in schools on others. These prayer advocates would have us believe that the government forbids them to pray in school. But they're being disingenuous when they make this argument. They aren't so much worried that they are prevented from praying; they aren't. They simply wish to force others around them to pray too.

Same with this food thing. People wishing to prevent new stores from opening aren't concerned about their own health. They weren't going to eat there anyway. They're concerned that their neighbors might eat something unhealthy. Why does one need such a law?
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 10:09

BF:

And, third, I'm really not a conservative. Don't call me that.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 10:36
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
Second, I don't understand why it is that if you believe fast food is unhealthy, you need to impose that on me through the laws. If you don't want to eat fast food, don't eat it. Simple. The problem isn't that I would force you to consume something you don't like, but that you would attempt to limit my access to something I do want. The nice thing about my approach is that you get to do what you want to do, and I get to do what I want to do. Neither hurts the other.

I think people should be able to make regulations on a local level which suits their communities which are in accordance to their wishes. I was amused by the anti-local sentiment of the conservative faction when the issue was one of the availability of hamburgers in a community they don't even live in.

Do I think fast food is unhealthy eaten with 64 oz. Cokes and a big order of fries (the way most people eat)? Yes. Do I want to see it banned in my community? No. Do I care if another community that I don't live in bans it? No.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 10:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Exclamation

Okay folks, this thread is really getting off-topic.

Please keep in mind that discussion of politics, religion, racism etc etc is not permitted.
Quote:
It's acknowledged that there may be occasional overlap with a non-permitted topic during some low carb and/or health-related discussions; for example, health legislation or cultural dietary preferences. Please stay focused on the appropriate issue. Attempts to divert discussion from the original topic into broader political/religious debates (a.k.a topic hijacking) will be removed, and repeated attempts of the same will result in suspension of posting privileges.

Please review our policy on this matter Why politics and other contentious debates are not permitted at Active Low-Carber

thanks for your cooperation,

Doreen
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 10:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Okay folks, this thread is really getting off-topic.

Please keep in mind that discussion of politics, religion, racism etc etc is not permitted.

Hi Doreen:

My last post was posted before I read your message. I certainly understand your policy and respect it. Personally I have a very high tolerance for enthusiastic debate. But I understand it can become devisive and create a lot of work for the moderator.