Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-23, 04:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

"Blue-tick-verified"

Meanwhile, the FDA is "concerned" and watching the situation. The "stark warning" mentioned in the article doesn’t sound stark to me.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarke...-or-weight-loss

Scams can now hide behind blue-ticks or whatever, it all happens on-line..or at your hairdresser!
I remember driving north from Miami, the interstate lined with storefronts in strip malls selling OxyContin, years before any action was taken. As Smith said, "there are going to be fatalities"
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-23, 08:03

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I'm pleased the lady got a refund, but these sellers should be in jail.

I also do not understand the mindset of someone who will buy such drugs and take them without considering the risks. Taking the real drug comes with risks, but also, doctor to call.

I've watched videos from Chubbyemu (a doctor) who nearly loses patients because they won't tell the emergency room the dang fool stunt they did.

That's TWO risks.

That's not unusual at all. DD2 has been a paramedic for about 15 years, so she deals with a lot of patients on EMS calls who refuse to admit what they've done.

I haven't heard any semaglutide horror stories from her yet*, but there's plenty of cases where the patient is having a very bad reaction to street drugs. In order to determine what treatment to give in the back of the ambulance on the way to the Emergency Room, she needs to confirm that the problem they're experiencing is from drugs rather than something naturally occurring. She's not the police, but they know if they're treated with with Narcan, the police will be informed, and they'll definitely be going to jail once they're released from the hospital. Whether they tell her the truth or not will depend on which they value more - surviving the effect of whatever drug they took... or avoiding arrest, even though they know the reaction they're having to the the drug will kill them.

*She'll be home for Thanksgiving in a couple of weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised if she'll have some semaglutide horror stories to share, between the bad reactions some people are having to the legitimately prescribed drug, and now the problems associated with the fake versions.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-23, 04:54

Quote:
As Smith said, "there are going to be fatalities

And yesterday there was. Australian mum wanted to lose weight for daughter's wedding, and continued to take it through severe digestive issues. This was prescribed by her doctor and bought legally.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-23, 05:38

MaryAnne Demasi's Sub Stack on Weighing Up the Value of Weight Loss Drugs. Part 1 only so far.

Begins with an interview with Dr Mark Cuccuzella.
Then a review of the "Downsides"…there are many!

https://maryannedemasi.substack.com...alue-of-weight?
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-23, 09:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Received the Part 1 of the Demasi report on GLP-1s in my email last night. This quote from Dr. Cucuzzella is probably the most truthful quote I've read on the topic:

Quote:
“The cost of these drugs for all who meet the ‘criteria for therapy’ is unrealistic,” says Cucuzzella. “In some ways this is another strategy for the Medical-Industrial Complex to further control you....lock you into to needing the assistance of doctors, pills, and medical testing for your whole life.”

Bad enough that these drugs have transitioned away from being prescribed to only the extremely high-risk health cases, now they're testing with children. When will the public wake up? The government benefits from the "subsidies" that our appointed and elected officials receive to look the other way, so along with the many approved drugs that have caused irreparable harm and death in the past, these new drugs and their damages will eventually get swept under the carpet when the fines and payoffs make everything right. The medical schools are already dependent on these financial "gifts," and the many medical groups across the country continue to practice medicine as if all this is normal, because to many in these groups, it is.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-23, 03:22

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Wow, thanks.

Quote:
“The cost of these drugs for all who meet the ‘criteria for therapy’ is unrealistic,” says Cucuzzella. “In some ways this is another strategy for the Medical-Industrial Complex to further control you....lock you into to needing the assistance of doctors, pills, and medical testing for your whole life.”

Yes! Corporatization of food is, and will be, a disaster.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-23, 03:39

BF:

Quote:
The FDA has also said that symptoms of stomach paralysis are reported to persist even after patients have discontinued their medication.

THIS/\THIS/\THIS/\THIS/\THIS/\THIS/\THIS/\THIS

It has been pointed out that these clinical trials are short-term. The long-term trials are supposed to be everyone in the world taking the medication. Doctors prescribe, and -- this is the missing part -- keep meticulous track of side effects and efficacy, reporting back to a US government agency. Which, come to think of it, has been underfunded while health insurance operates on the "first we say no" principle. But I digress.

Now, they have drugs with severe side effects that don't go away. Statins, the acne drug derived from a failed chemotherapy trial, the baldness drug Propecia with the severe hormone effects, and now these madly popular weight loss drugs.

It's really chilling. Our health being "managed" is a euphemism because it's like an admission they aren't even trying to fix anything. I just checked: officially there are no real conclusions about what causes autoimmune. So why should I take some very strong drugs to shut off my immune system? That is their only treatment. And I could not get on board once that became clear. Because I think they are wrong.

"Management" is this dependence on drugs to warp the body systems into a semblance of health. Instead of helping the body heal. I really know, and appreciate, the difference.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-23, 04:33

The FDA is funded…but by the Fox who is guarding the hen house.
https://today.uconn.edu/2021/05/why...t-regulates-2/#
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-23, 05:01

BF:

Thank you, JEY! Exactly why so many interconnected things are not meshing when it comes to desired outcomes.

These drugs mimic bariatric surgery without the surgery. I think it's because we now know the effects on the brain of eating artificial food.

So now, it's all easy carbs, just like bariatric patients can stretch their stomach again.

Nothing will work unless you get the addict off the drug. I think we have no idea how much non-food is in the "food." Science fiction has arrived: a completely legal, inexpensive, and tenacious drug that has also woven itself into society.

For so many, this is how they eat now. Not realizing it becomes a train downhill as they approach their thirties.

It is being normalized.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-23, 11:39

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quick update on Wegovy friend:

Nearly 4 months on Wegovy, with a total weight loss of 24 lbs. Half of that weight loss was during the first month. (and if I recall correctly, most of that was during the first week)

In other words, after the initial fluid loss, the weight loss has slowed down to approximately 1 lb/week, which is approximately the loss expected on ANY weight loss diet.

But in this case, the amount of protein, fats, and calories is closer to a very low calorie diet, because of the limited stomach capacity (due to the Wegovy slowing digestion so much). Very little protein - maybe 6 oz total of fish (still can't eat meat of any kind without feeling sick), a little low fat cheese, yogurt, and the occasional egg. Carbs are of course the backbone of the diet, because those digest more quickly. They're sticking mostly to whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies, but with so little protein and fat, almost the entirety of every meal is carbs, carbs, carbs.

I wasn't aware of this at first, but it seems that the dosage increases every month. I don't know how high the dosage eventually goes on Wegovy, but the friend is now taking a far higher dosage than when it was first prescribed. And of course the side effects keep getting worse - more constipation, more nausea. And yet the weight loss is not speeding up at all.

This is sounding more and more like SNATTy Kimkins all the time. Except drug induced, and of course this is Dr approved for long term use.
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-23, 04:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
This is sounding more and more like SNATTy Kimkins all the time. Except drug induced, and of course this is Dr approved for long term use.

Because these are the now the kinds of drugs they are pursuing. That's not what the Hippocratic Oath starts out with! "First, do no harm," is a fine guideline for almost anything They are ignoring that.

They can't call out the real source of so many chronic and horrifying diseases. It has many different names, when it's really chronic malnutrition. Not enough protein and fat and we get insulin resistance. Which everyone should know will affect everything in the body, and is behind heart disease, stroke, obesity, and cancer.

We don't want them to MANAGE it. We want them to FIX it. But they dodge the responsibility because that's not what the profession is about any more.

It's about adapting the people to the demands of the corporate market.

Disease itself has become a highly tech-oriented endeavor. So now these drugs and surgeries are being used for conditions for which it is drastic overkill. Re-engineering our bodies to suppress the malnutrition symptoms we're complaining about.

Now we get more heart attack survivors, but at the same time, more coronary heart disease. Lower cholesterol numbers, but more heart failure. They HAD to start their cancer patients on ketosis, because the good science was overwhelming and they don't want to be r*t-b*st*rds. But I keep hearing that ketosis is dangerous, and we can't be in it all the time because we are somehow missing what fast food is made of.

A few doctors and some indignant civilians who have figured it out are the ones telling the truth, but there's more doctors and far more civilians constantly thinking that fixing something this stubborn has to be some big complicated thing and look at all the money we are spending. Everyone assures each other we are doing our best and exhausted, order DoorDash. It's expensive and it looks and tastes like food that is so much better than we can make.

And now that I know the drugs that wouldn't fix me were never meant to. I adore my current doctor, but I've started asking the other ones we see, "Is this about fixing it?" And they sometimes admit they can't fix it, when better nutrition has been doing wonders for DH.

They like it that way. It makes our health so much more expensive. We are literally making money out of people, far more directly than I ever thought possible. Look at the rich. They are just as fat and unhealthy as the rest of us now. They are the ones driving this particular drug shortage, and it's about an addiction so many people have it's the norm. Which doesn't really make it normal.

The whole world believes food lies. At least Europe is waking up about it. We would do well to demand Italy's food laws, here. This is a utility, not a pretentious handbag.

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Nov-12-23 at 04:07.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-23, 18:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I watched a discussion by dr Boz, and she explained a bit about Ozempic. Like Ozempic face and lack of autophagy. Compared to a ketogenic diet, Ozempic sounds crazy.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-23, 05:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I watched a discussion by dr Boz, and she explained a bit about Ozempic. Like Ozempic face and lack of autophagy. Compared to a ketogenic diet, Ozempic sounds crazy.

We have the benefit of much more knowledge about nutrition. Doctors get like six hours instruction on it? Dr. Boz is open about how little she knew, before.

Now, it has transformed her practice of medicine. I suspect that people will feel they have to stay on it, once the Rebound Syndrome starts being visible online.

Just to show how irresponsible it has become, all those dermal fillers? That go away and you have to keep filling?

They don't go away. They move. Why did they say it's temporary and only last 6-12 months? Either they lied, or they didn't test it.

And I won't go into it, but the results can be, like these weight loss drugs, the opposite of what was promised.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-23, 07:17

From The People's Pharmacy, another downstream side effect of gastroparisis, beside death of Australian women, https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nat...edding/4852029/)

Quote:
Q. Please warn your readers about Ozempic and anesthesia. Apparently, there can be an adverse reaction during surgery. Anesthesiologists know this, but it is still new to the public. Some surgeons now recommend stopping semaglutide for seven days prior to anesthesia. My daughter had a serious reaction, so people should be careful and talk to their doctors!

A. What you are describing is called gastroparesis. In extreme forms, it results in stomach paralysis. As a result, food does not move out of the stomach into the small intestine as it normally would.
Usually, food exits the stomach within 2 to 4 hours. Under the influence of semaglutide (Ozempic, Wegovy), it may take days or sometimes even longer.

Under anesthesia, food in the stomach puts a patient at risk for aspiration. That means the contents can be inhaled into the lungs, causing a serious, if not deadly, complication.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Nov-13-23 at 09:09.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-23, 03:56

BF:

Quote:
Usually, food exits the stomach within 2 to 4 hours. Under the influence of semaglutide (Ozempic, Wegovy), it may take days or sometimes even longer.

And what is the side effects of food lingering in the stomach for so much longer than the body expects?

Vegans make baseless claims of meat rotting in our colons, but this is actually being done to people, by themselves, in that vain hope of losing weight without changing the habits that put the weight on.

This is the very dark side of believing in magic.