Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 03:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
What is the current thought on aspirin? I keep it on hand for dogs and sheep.

It's an NSAID. The original is Willow Bark, that is what works for me, but I keep my use very sporadic: and I don't need it all the time. I don't take anything for fever, for instance; it's got a job to do and as long as it doesn't get to high, I let my body get on with it.

Another natural anti-inflammatory is devil's claw. Taking them together, you need less of either.

And the BIG one in this category seems to be niacin. I take plenty of that!

Also, CBD; again, it didn't work for me, but PEA for the central nervous system has a similar effect, and that does seem to work for me.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 03:30

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

#48   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 03:52

BF:

Merpig (Debbie) also warns about ACE inhibitors as a possible complication. This concerns HBP and diabetes meds. In fact, I'm thinking these drugs increasing vulnerability might be why these two conditions are such a common co-morbidity angle with COVID-19.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-20, 07:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This group talks about the "elephant in the room" but I have been struck by the lack of discussion in the US of lifestyle, obesity contributing to High BP, heart disease, etc. as relates to coronavirus. Dr Aseem Malhotra takes it on with Sky News. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHA...9vYuqoIb-f2H_t8
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 02:18

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

#51   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 08:17

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi

I posted this article on Twitter where many people are sharing their high-sugar content treats during their isolation

I had not known of the correlation between Type II diabetes and COVID19 mortality.

That's important news
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 10:54

That link does not work for me now, nor a search on the Express home page. maybe article pulled and being updated? Will keep checking.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-20, 12:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
That link does not work for me now, nor a search on the Express home page. maybe article pulled and being updated? Will keep checking.

It works for me .. however, that page is loaded with annoying ads and the video took forever to come up

Here's the same video on youtube .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnVoJ3t9Pc ... The text below the video is copy & paste of the linked article. Hope that works for you
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 08:15

Thanks, Doreen. The link to the Express print article works today. That video with photos of bad habits, piano music and his tips was too weird
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 09:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yes, very weird, and the tips for keeping one healthy never were covered. While we often discuss how one can reverse poor health habits accumulated over a lifetime primarily due to bad dietary habits resulting in poor quality of life in one's later years, it also goes to reason that when faced with a viral or bacterial epidemic, this accumulation and continued bad habits makes these folks perfect candidates for having increased vulnerabilities and loss of life due to this type of lifestyle. It's impossible to state that ketosis is protective from corona virus, but it's plausible to state that eliminating Insulin Resistance, T2D, and all the related symptoms from Metabolic Syndrome position one to have a better outcome even in older years when contracting Covid19 compared to those who follow a SAD WOE.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 11:44

Rob, it takes a lot for me to buy yet another low carb book, but I just may buy the Carnivore Code based on your good review. Having no library is the most disruptive missing service for me (and if that is all, I am very lucky) I have been listening to podcasts with Dr. Saladino and now have started watching his own podcasts...though at two hours an episode that is a stretch. He took his one on CoVid-19 and broke it up into segments.

A good part on How diabetes/Insulin Resistance Impairs immune function. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kny...eature=youtu.be (only 5 minutes)
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 14:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Janet, excellent video cast by Dr. Saladino. I agree that those who are metabolically healthy regardless of age are most likely to avoid or blunt any contagion. I didn't think I needed another low carb book either, but he echos the findings of Dr. Ede about plant toxins and goes into good detail, so I found the book increased my previous knowledge in that area. I'm now more discriminating when selecting the vegetables I infrequently eat.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 14:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I agree that those who are metabolically healthy regardless of age are most likely to avoid or blunt any contagion.

I'm dramatic evidence of that. My immune status now compared to a little over a year ago is so much better. Puts my mind somewhat at ease.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 10:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Any lowcarbers get it yet?

Just curious. It seems like people's responses are incredibly varied. One of my Internet friends had it fairly mildly, but then I saw a video from someone else, who was in good health, didn't drink, smoke, do drugs, that nearly died.

I'm doing my best to stay low carb, no booze (depresses immune system), moderate exercise (extreme exercise also depresses immune system), getting into the garden, taking 10,000 iu of D3, getting lots of sleep. Seriously, this thing is making me do better!

I also have a very thorough decontamination routine I go through if I have to venture out to shop. A surgeon complimented me and told me he printed out my routine and put it on his fridge. He said, "If you think you're doing too much, you probably aren't." Even despite all that, I spend the next few days worrying and check my temperature a lot.

My biggest worry is that I live alone and have 3 kitties that need mommy to care for them. 2 have chronic illnesses. It is really hard to turn their care over to a pet sitter, especially the one with asthma only lets mom come near him and I have to give him an inhaler twice a day. So they are the biggest part of my concern should I get very ill and need hospitalization.

Oh yeah, concern #2 is that our hospitals are getting overwhelmed and they don't have enough gear. So you may end up in a tent hospital somewhere with a nurse outfitted with a garbage bag for protective gear and a mask they've worn for a week. So if not for my kitties' protection and my protection, I'm being cautious for the healthcare workers. May they stay safe!
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 10:42

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

So far so good here, but I'm pretty much staying indoors. I have two cats, and an elderly (age 13) dog with arthritis. I may run out of her pain pills soon but the vet offers curbside pickup.

I've heard mixed things about vitamin D3 from different sources so trying not to go too high on it, but still taking my 2000IU gelcap daily along with K3, C, and various herbs and minerals. I'm mostly carnivore right now and an pretty well stocked with meat and eggs.

No booze here! I'd been doing moderate exercises daily (5-6 minutes on my rebounder, and 12-14 minutes doing a light weight training routine following a YouTube video). but a few days ago I fell hard against my bedrail while *making my bed* of all things and seem to have bruised my ribs. Pretty painful and the exercises exacerbate the pain, so they are out for now. Still my 2-minute qigong morning routine, and 15-minutes of deep breathing/meditation.

I don't *know* if LC/Keto will help protect me in any way but at least I feel better while I'm on it, so keeping on with keeping on.

I haven't been to a store in nearly two weeks. I had a pretty good stash before that, and yesterday my DiL got me some things from Costco. I also have a friend whose son works at the local supermarket and she texted me to say if I needed anything to just let her know and she'd have her son pick it up for me. I buy my dog and cat food (and litter) from chewy.com, and I'm stocked there too, so I don't foresee any need to go out in public.

I know many, including many LCers, are venturing out to keep a stock of fresh produce, but since I'm basically Carnivore right now the fresh produce is not a necessity, and I have plenty of fresh and frozen meat, and eggs, and butter. And if the meat stock runs out I've got canned tuna, sardines, smoked oysters , and even some Spam.